Ontario Clean Water Agency

Ontario Clean Water Agency Employee Reviews

Canada27 reviews
Generally High Wages as it is a Government Agency. Happiness factor will vary from Hub to Hub. The Management is Less than Stellar as poor managers are never Fired, only moved somewhere else.
A very collaborative environment that fosters learning, skills development and career advancement throughout the delivery of clean water services to clients across Ontario.
Top heavy management wise and not enough front line employees to complete the contracts committed to. Low level competency of management to organize such an important industry. The turnover in employees is a serious problem but the management is not held accountable for their poor business choices. This is just a feeder company for other companies requiring these industry skills.
Loved working for ontario clean water agency for a contract position, great group of people, everyone was willing to help, a great team setting. Lots of room for advancement
Loved my job and the majority of the people were great, certain managers enjoy playing games with employees which can make it stressful at times.
Great company encourages advancement
OCWA is filled with exceptionally talented people - very good and passionate about what they do. They are, for the most part, willing to help new people learn their role in the organization.
The management team is eager to download lots of extra administrative work to operators, yet wonder why nothing gets accomplished. Equipment maintenance appears to be an afterthought, but management griping about operator overtime seems to be paramount. Should have been a red flag when the interviewers prefaced the interview with" we've had a lot of tunover lately”. turnover turn over lately ". Now I know why. Would only recommend this company to cut your teeth on municipal treatment. On the plus side, the administrative professionals are great, and there is lots of training available. But the cons of the working conditions far outweigh the positives
The team was really friendly and the work environment was great. The best part about OCWA was visiting all the water facilities and gaining the knowledge of how our water reaches us.
Pros
Get to go around different facilities
Cons
nothing fancy in the work place
I worked at the Grand Bend location where they operate the water plant. Managers are the most incompetent and unprofessional people I've ever worked with, all they do is drive their brand new expensive Toyota trucks around for nothing. Big waste of government money. This company does work only for municipalities and townships that are too lazy to hire their own people.
Pros
zero
Cons
all
Wonderful people to work for and with. Group activities and excellent communication between the different local sites. Lots of capability for training.
Disfunction on EVERY level. Can't even get the easiest thing done....
The hard workers get taken advantage of while the laziest people do whatever they like.
Pros
Catered lunches for training
Cons
Chaotic disfunctional and toxic organization
Supporting Internal and External clients

Presenting plan to reconcile inventory and performing Inventory reconciliation

Redesigning and reprogramming the exporting processes of the GP Manger Reports

Most enjoyable part of job Working with Great Plains Dynamics, working with team members and supporting clients
The best atmosphere among employees Great learning with lots of opportunities to advance
May not be the highest paid in the industry but the training makes up for any loss
Pros
Steady days. Job security, great union
Cons
Smells sometimes
Everyday is different because you're dealing with different colleagues, and clients. There are lots of training courses/programs offered, which provides great learning opportunities. The workplace is good; you're surrounded by good co-workers that work hard but can also have fun. There is currently a lot of re-organization taking place, which is why there are flaws with management (on all levels). But this is being improved over time.
Multiple types of locations to be frequented on a daily basis. The organization allows for excellent growth through knowledge, experience and time in the company to take on a more senior position if desired.
The company relies on contracts with municipalities, cities, towns, and villages for their water and wastewater treatment. Relocating or servicing several treatment plants is a must.
I traveled all over Southwestern Ontario in a company provided vehicle.

Good relations between co-workers.
OCWA was a wonderful place to work. Work was steady and rewarding. I was supplied proper safety equipment on my first day. My co-workers and manager were all lovely people who always had a compliment to say and were all so friendly. The hardest part of the job was the bike ride to and from work but going to work was very rewarding.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere, lots of help.
Cons
Working outside.
A great place to work in, it match my experience
my supervisor was very supportive an honest

great chance to show my capabilities and knowledge

coworkers was cooperative , they encouraged me to more advanced steps
4 Months of new experiences, amazing environment. Wish contract was longer, will work for again if having the opportunity
Provided secretarial support to the Operations Manager, Maintenance Manager and
Assistant Manager.

• Compiled data for various water readings and input information into the Ministry of

Environment documents as provided.

• Opened daily mail and organized the process of information as needed.

• Coded payable invoices according to budget, inputting information for purchase

orders as per authorizations.

• Typed up minutes for monthly City meetings around Capital budgeting items.

• Input all staff and managers payroll information for processing.

• Hired, interviewed, orientated and supervised summer student office staff.

• Completed scheduling, letters, memo's and faxing of data.

• Contacted the Health unit , school board and city hall when water or sewer readings

were not within regulated standards of the ministry of environment.

• In charge of arranging for summer student employment, review and orientation
Pros
Always had a special lunch day for employee's. Guy's were always very supportive.
Cons
Smell of plant was not always pleasant.
Horrible on call rotation, one week off one week on. Was forced out as a result of raising concerns about the way the SCADA system was operating in a Water treatment facility. Management cannot be trusted. Was told as long as we did our job and logged everything that we would have support from the company, this was a blatant lie as all they are concerned about is the renewal of new contracts. If you enjoy your sanity I would not work for this company.
Pros
Cons
everything