Ontario Addiction Treatment Centres (OATC)

Ontario Addiction Treatment Centres (OATC) Employee Reviews

The worst
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  OATC14 January 2019
I worked at OATC for a number of years. The only thing I enjoyed was the company of a couple of co-workers and the doctors.

The pay is ridiculously low for the job you are required to do.

The fact that they expect support staff to do patient intakes, ECG's and blood work on top their general duties (greeting/checking in patients, collecting urine samples, answering phones/ returning messages, faxing, emailing, facilitating tele-medicine appointments, cleaning and dealing with often difficult clientele, *just to name a few) is completely insane for the minuscule amount of money they pay their staff. No pay raises are ever given even with cost of living going up and OATC does not provide any bonus at the end of the year even after working for them for years.

The clinic is always short staffed. This makes it extremely stressful for staff that have to take on extra work on top of an already full workload. Also, never being able to take proper breaks and having to work through your lunch break is constant.

You might as well have no benefits as they provide a health spending account which reaches it's full amount of $700 at years end (only if your full-time) and that amount is supposed to goes towards everything prescriptions/dentist/optometrist etc. So with only $700.00 per year after buying prescription glasses and a few pharmacy prescriptions it leaves barely enough for anything else.

Overall a terrible company to work for and I suggest NOT working here!
Pros
Cons
Low wage, short staffed, heavy workload
Dont waste your time
Clinic Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Ontario7 December 2018
The management is non-existent no one cares. Under paid no life/family balance, disorganized, unprofessional, high turn over of staff. No one lasts for more than 1 month. I have seen staff resign after a week or even a day. Staff calls off 5 minutes before shifts. You arrive to work the office is closed it's not a place to work. You might as well go flip some burgers for the pay they offer. The pay doesn't match the work you are required to do. Runn while you have a chance don't do...!! I wish I could give zero stars but that was not an option. This company doesn't deserve the one star!
Pros
Absolutely none
Cons
Pay, staff, managment, everything!
Great place to work if you want to make an impact
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ON17 November 2018
This is an amazing job if you care about people and want to make a positive impact. You do not work here to get rich, no, but you will never find a more gratifying and rewarding position! I disagree with the management. While Managers have areas and not just one location, mine was always in contact, reachable and very supportive. I loved my time and my team.
Pros
Great patients, rewarding
Cons
Clinic only open part time
Worst job experience I’ve ever had.
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Ontario31 July 2018
Big role, many duties to complete. VERY little pay for what you do. You could flip burgers at McDonald’s for the same pay. Felt very unappreciated at my time there. The patients were great for the most part. Training is horrific. Asked to do things that I am not qualified in. Just a very awful place to work. I’m unsure if these clinics are actually helping individuals overcome their addictions. It seems as though it’s just keeping them going. Avoid working here at all costs. Waste of time and energy.
Pros
Great clients.
Cons
Minimum wage, a lot of duties to do, management and staff not the greatest.
Decent - clinic staff like family
Nurse (Current Employee) –  OATC5 July 2018
I have been an employee for 6 years now. My clinic staff are like a little work family. We all work well together and can often communicate without speaking as we have all been together for so long.

I will admit that the company has a few flaws but it's certainly not as toxic as some reviews are making it sound.

OATC could certainly put in a better effort to make the wages more competitive.
Pros
Set schedules, day shifts, unionized.
Cons
Mismanagement at times. Wage and no benefits.
If you value your license or professional reputation do NOT work for this company
Staff (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON20 April 2018
If you value your license or professional reputation please do not apply for any position at the OATC. The toxic environment of the Peterborough OATC was so deeply entrenched that we lost 10 nurses in less than two years. Management formed close alliances with certain staff which created huge conflicts amongst other staff on the floor. Management offered no support to staff despite constant requests for interventions, even senior management were unwilling to address or offer support despite very serious ongoing issues and complaints. The errors that occurred on a daily basis compromised nurses professional license and this was cited as one significant reason so many nurses left, often after only a few months or even weeks
Recently this particular OATC seen four staff quit in the range of three weeks..... so If your scrolling through Indeed and come across a post for the OATC .... keep scrolling

This company has one agenda and one very clear objective... MONEY! .. if you think you are going to make the lives of those struggling with addiction better, think again...... Legal drug dealers that offer no support or counselling to the clients, just an assembly line compensating one addiction for another

Pros
Clients were awesome, too bad this company fails them daily
Cons
No upward mobility, No management support, ridiculously poor pay
Stay away! Very poorly managed
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Ontario5 December 2017
Pay and treatment is the worst I have ever experienced. Was employed here for over 6 years. At first I was enthusiastic, as I didn't know much about drugs, and I will say I learned a lot. It didn't take me long to realize that management doesn't care about their employees one bit. We were not allowed to decorate the clinic for any holiday ie Christmas (no card, no bonus, nothing. The doctors would try to buy us lunch at least but were told to stop), Halloween etc....
To save money they laid off most of the counselors, and expected support staff to take over their responsibilities (except for actually counseling patients, but the patients would still talk to us as they now had no one to turn to). There was no compensation for these extra duties. Open every day, even holidays (half day) because it's a dispensing clinic (give out medications). No benefits until a union was brought in a couple years ago, but it's still a joke. You have to "earn" your benefit allowance monthly. Holiday pay is not the usual 4%, it's some calculation they do depending on your attendance, and it's paid out every pay period.
No room for advancement at all. Senior support staff are expected to train new staff as management is not "on site" at every clinic. And when probation is over for the new employee (6 months), they make the same pay rate and get the same benefits as I did, even though I'd been there so many years.
Fast forward to 2017. Start laying off nurses and telling support staff that they will need to learn to do ECG's and blood work. Also started a needle and crack pipe exchange, free
  more... needles and pipes for anyone, not just clients. Again no compensation for these extra duties. Support staff are being run off their feet for $14.78/hr top rate. Stay away.....
You never saw management, but the last year or so they promoted NURSES as "Area Managers" but still don't see them often, maybe once a month, mostly over email, sometimes telehealth. They have very unprofessional communication skills and will often argue with employees instead of listening to concerns or ideas. If an employee isn't working out or is causing problems, you are told to basically shut up and nothing is done. The turn over rate is so high, they will hire anyone and will try to keep them no matter what.
The position of Support Staff in 2017/2018 means you basically run the clinic as receptionist/counselor/lab tech/physician's aid/pharmacy assistant/bouncer/legal counsel/public health administration (needle/pipe exchange) ....on and on. They just seem to keep finding things to pile on the SS shoulders. If you want to work like a dog, for next to nothing, send in a resume.
Pros
Learn about drug addiction and mental health issues.
Cons
Low, low pay scale, poor management skills, poor benefits, poor treatment, high turnover rate, high set of responsibilities for one position
oatc
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 November 2017
disrespectful staff and management in certain offices
loved the clientele and the challenges that came with the job, never a dull moment
no support from management
The best front line experience!
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Vaniet clinic4 October 2017
I worked for OATC Vanier Clinic just under 3 years. My experience there was life altering in the most beautiful ways. We suffered terrible losses and shared in amazing stories of recovery. The staff, MD's and management alike work as an incredible team. Being an addictions counsellor and working front line with some of the most interesting and colourful cliental , have given me great insight, compassion and respect for these individuals.
I left because I moved locations all together, however deeply missed OATC, all the staff I worked so closely with and all the wonderful people that made up our clients.
Honestly, very intense environment, yet well worth the experience!
Pros
Every staff, front line or higher were just amazing.
Cons
Needs higher pay rate.
Poor Management and Work Culture
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON5 September 2017
OATC management does nothing to improve the treatment of patients. Patients are treated according to the mood of staff. No manager on site to correct this behaviour. Policies are occasionally followed, but are reinforced with certain patients. No patient advocate to address patient concerns. They had let go of all counselors on a couple occasions. Little possibility of advancement for support staff. Minimum or no pay raise. Low pay. Most clinics are represented by the Union and therefore pay union dues. A cumulative Health spending account instead of benefits. No bonuses. Staff outings to raise staff moral. If you care about making a positive difference and improving patient lives, this may not be the job for you. Keep in mind, there are many OATC in Ontario. I am not speaking for all clinics.
Pros
No manager on site
Cons
No manager on site, upper management detached from clinic issues, No respect for staff suggestions to make the clinic better, low pay
Not as expected
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Keswick, ON12 May 2017
First of all they do not provide you with the hours you will be working until hired. Manager is not often present to assist in training. Focus is on money more than providing an outstanding level of care. I wouldn't suggest getting wrapped up in this company unless you are looking to be disappointed.
Support Staff- Small Role Big Impact
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 April 2017
As Support you are tasked with being the liaison between patients and their MRP. You are there to provide Customer service to the patients- registration, appointment booking, sample collection and processing, updating EMR .

Working here you are confronted with just how substantial the drug crisis is and just how varied its origins are. As support staff you get to meet those who are trying to make a change and you are there to facilitate that change. The most rewarding part of this job is watching patients transform their lives.

Patients can be a handful at times and it is one of the challenges of this position. You have to be cognitive of your own personal biases and learn to see the patients and not their attitudes or problems.

Management and staff are supportive of your role and the overall workplace culture is positive.

I have learnt so much from being at this organisation through my interaction with patients, staff and management, that I would recommend working here.
Pros
Facilitating Harm reduction. Light and pleasant work environment.
Cons
No counselling for patients. No room for advancement.
prodcutive work place,
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Bracebridge, ON6 April 2017
Open the clininc greet the patients and assistant them to either the man or womens washrooms to leave a sample. Call them back to one of the offices for doctor's appoitments. I learn that drugs can be very dangerous to anyone and that there is help out there for anyone that is wanting help for themselves. I have seen that there is a wonderful mangement team that does everything to help you succeed in your job and improve to the best of my abilities. The hardest part of my job is losing clients due to drug overdoses. The most enjoyablle part of my job is the grattitude that is received by clients.
Pros
able to travel to different clinic locations
Fun, different but long hours
Clinic Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 January 2017
I really enjoyed my experience working at the OATC on somerset. The patients are fun and interesting once you get to know them. Definitely a learning experience. The only downside is the hours are 6-4, which does feel a little long. Other than that I thought it was a really different experience.Working in addictions was an eye opener and you do have to go into it with an open/non judgmental perspective. In terms of work, the work and programs they use are really easy to pick up and you're usually always staying busy for the most part. Also -Staff is hilarious.
Pros
staff, patients, easy work
Cons
Long hours, short lunch break, training modules/courses
Terrible
Clinical Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON12 November 2016
Horrible employer. Money is all that matters to this organization.
Toxic office environment. Little support from other staff. Fighting between pharmacy and nurse/support staff on a regular basis.
Horrible Company to work for
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ontario6 November 2016
I agree with the others regarding this Company. I was very excited when first hired, but that changed to disappointment very quickly. There was little training/shadowing of a more experienced worker. The employees were rude and there was no manager on site. Overall, not a very good place to learn or work.
Pros
Cons
No support or training
Save yourself time, do not apply
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON31 August 2016
Aweful management, 'alleged' illegal drugs deals with counselors but kept quiet. Underpaid. You will learn nothing here but who to not trust. Go elsewhere.
Pros
Cons
All of it.
Company does not want long term employees
nurse (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON24 August 2016
Worked for this company for many years. Loved working with the diverse clients . Benefit package was so poor, no room for advancement as director of operations hire only her favorites. Family owned business, no proper admin. No one to complain to. Work with unskilled rude staff members, been swore at by other staff member that had only worked with company for a short while. Staff make fun of the patients, staff very unprofessional and yell at patients (same staff that swore at me). Managers rude and not approachable. VERY NEGATIVE ENVIROMENT.
Hardest part of the job management and uneducated rude staff.
Most enjoyable part of the day working with patients.
Learned many skills, ie ecg's and phlebotomy.
Pros
Day shift
Cons
No room for advancement, poor benefits, terrible management
Do not work here
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cambridge Kitchener tillsonburg27 July 2016
Never see a boss besides over a monitor. Will not find u replacements if u r sick. If u can't fill ur shift u have to come in. Rude disgusting management team
Not recommended
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON22 January 2016
When first hired I was excited to expand my skills and knowledge in this field. To my disappointment I learned quickly that there is little to no management on staff. Training... Well there really was very little of that due to short staff and high demand work environment. Staff gossiped about their fellow co-workers and superiors as well as the clientele they serviced. The environment was not a clean one and minimum safety precautions were taken when handling specimens. The demand and need is there for this kind of treatment centre - unfortunately the establishment is poorly managed and run.
Cons
Personal Risk and safety, management, co-workers, salary, advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ontario Addiction Treatment Centres (OATC). Our community is ready to answer.

Ontario Addiction Treatment Centres (OATC) Reviews by Job Title