OMERS

OMERS Employee Reviews

Canada43 reviews
Goood company to work for. good workin culture, func place to have table tennis and foose boll tables. evry month beer party . overall nice place to work life balace
Great contract with OMERS covering working with PowerBI based enterprise dashboards that enabled me to work with many areas of OMERS. This included security, change management, and finance.
Upper management are only there for themselves or for their relatives!!! Work environment became toxic. The team I was on the manager and employees were fantastic!!!
Had reasonable high hopes for my career at OMERS, but had a very disappointing experience. They constantly hire people on contracts and did not honor what they hired me for. There was constant management struggles and internal conflict beyond my imagination. There seems to be a lot of favoritism/conflict based on your ethnic of origin/race. I didn't feel a general reasonable level of respect as a temp employee/affiliate. I felt I was hired only to "help" management without any opportunity to progress in the organization in the long run. Constant above average power struggles (In my humble opinion). Preferred people can feel free to go to the cafeteria / get coffee etc.
Pros
Some team building events
Cons
Gave employees the run around
Management can stab you in the back. One week, you're encouraged to work harder and the following you are meeting HR that you are not progressing. No proper training. From day two, you're thrown into the deep end to know everything about pension. There's support but if you are not on track or make a tiny mistake, your job is on the line. Only perk was cold breakfasts, unlimited healthy snacks and "Thirsty Thursday" - open-bar on company property. Liability? No idea.
Work-life balance is great but the way they want you to know everything makes you bring work home and to study. Your words must be exactly the way your trainer wants it.
The good: my department is like a family we work hard and play hard. Managers are respectful of everyone and are mentors to direct reports as well as other people outside of the department. I feel very fortunate to work with the people I work with, in this organization. I feel proud of what we do.

The only bad I have is that the salary for my position is underpaid.
I'm neither disgruntled or jaded and will present life as I see it here as objectively as possible. OMERS is a smaller organization that is undergoing a lot of change and self-realization. This has resulted in an influx of new employees across the enterprise to facilitate the transformations that are occurring. As a result, there is a very clear divide between the old-timers and the newbies with the former being welcoming only to the point where the newbies begin to either encroach on their territory or get promoted at a faster clip. I have unfortunately seen the knives come out in these situations and it isn't pretty or very corporate.

Outside of that, OMERS is a good place to work. The compensation is what you would expect from a pension fund (good), there really isn't much governance so if you are coming in as a manager and above, you will be given a great deal of latitude to be creative and really put your stamp on things. Flexible work arrangement and working from home exists across the organization and is applied practically to those functions where it makes sense, however for certain essential functions where office-time is essential you may see less of it.
Pros
Great location, compensation, flexible work arrangements, free snacks
Cons
us vs. them culture amongst the old-timers, some leaders are stuck in the past
The organization is in the process of trying to modernize but are having some difficulties. The people who work there are great but upper management could use some more guidance. It seemed that every couple of months they would reshuffle the deck and try to change everything. It could have done with a little more uniform change or at least a clear plan. As far as the people on the ground could see, teams were getting merged and broken up, good employees were loosing their job while poor ones stayed and there did not appear to be one plan through the whole thing.
-Pay is mediocre at best in pension services. There are pay bands, but very few people are even at the midpoint of these bands. Most curious is Why are pensioners getting larger yearly increases than employees? This shouldnt be happening. All employees should receive minimum the CPI rate but arent for some reason. Theres definitely money floating around as seen from the recent head-scratching hiring of a Chief Medical Officer. Do we really need a chief medical officer to post sharepoint articles about basic healthy living principles that you can find with a simple Google search?
Work from home has been taken away completely. This is by far the biggest sense of frustration in the department. Management doesn’t trust employees to get work done at home. There were definitely employees who abused the Work from Home program. This is management’s responsibility for not holding these people accountable and making bad hiring decisions in the first place. The abusers were mainly newer employees while the long service employees worked diligently/more effectively at home. Can they just not hire “adults” instead next time or atleast punish them only? It’s also become a 9AM curfew to get into the office. Imagine a workplace in the modern era that treats employees like school kids. Looks discriminatory to anyone who lives far away or has a unique situation that requires them to come in later than 9AM. Leads to stress, pressure, lost sleep. Yet, there is a core of employees who are persistently late, while everyone else sweats it out trying to get in by curfew. This has led to chronic sleep deprivation which negatively impacts work quality and extremely unhealthy. Employees are consistently feeling “tired” and run out of energy by mid-week. Unfortunately one of the first topics of discussion is always about lack of sleep and tiredness. This is NOT a work environment worthy of attracting “Top Talent.”

Management has a grand plan to make transactional processing employees become quasi client service representatives. Quite an interesting idea, yet carries many flaws. Would employees willingly take part without any increase to their salary or any incentive for that
 - more...
**No Work From Home (used to be 2 days a week)- new leadership team has removed WFH insisting it doesn’t boost productivity. Majority of employees travel more than 1 hr each way to/from work which is tiring.
**No Flexible Work Hours - used to be allowed to do your 8 hours whichever time you decide to start/leave. Employees now need to come in latest 9am and leave earliest 4pm each day and stick to same schedule every day. This can be stressful for those of us who don’t live Downtown

**Increase to work hours to 37.5hrs/week (used to be 36.35hrs/week) – was done under premise of “work harmonization” but seems to also be form of cost savings by making employees work more hours for the same annual salary (lower hourly rate).

**Nepotism- seems to be a common theme that many family members/relatives are being hired without much thought into conflicts of interest. Especially concerning pertaining to management employees hiring family members

**High Employee Turnover – at the highest level in the last 10 years; especially high among newer and young employees. This also impacts remaining team members/managers due to added responsibilities, pressure to meet service levels

**Low Employee Morale- At the lowest level in years and although you cannot see it on their faces, employees often share their frustration/animosity amongst themselves. This seems to be due to all the changes made outlined here

**Long Service Employees being let go- Employees with years of experience and no direct involvement with the “failed project” have been let go for unclear reasons.

**Cuts to Work Life
 - more...
Voluntold shuld be the Meridian-Webster word of the year. It’s demoralizing, stressful, time consuming, and so much more when the VP is constantly pressuring me to voluntelll my team members to attend non-work related fireside chats, social events, team events n more. My team members now look at me in disdain, think I was voluntellling them to join. Me? It’s the VP and SVP! This culture of forcing, pressuring, voluntellling employees against their will is toxic and doesnt do anyone any good. Its total hypocrisy! They promote the Seven Grandfather Teachings (LOVE, RESPECT, BRAVERY, TRUTH, HONESTY, HUMILITY, WISDOM) yet the VP and SVP are telling me to be dishonest with my employees. Its absurd! How is there any honesty into forcing employees to watch a uninformative fireside chat with an executive. This same fireside chat happens once per year. Please, can the VP and SVP just be more honest with managers and employees. Every one on one I have with my employees they always ask about work from home being removed. VP and SVP tell us managers to only say its a “management decision” no other comment allowed. Absollutely dis-honest. One year later the VP thinks its appropriate to back track and tell employees its due to decline in productivity that they took away work from home. I guess the VP got tired of telling systematic lies. This culture of secrecy, dis-honesty, withholding information is horrible!
At OMERS, you will find great work and life balance. Excellent work environment, friendly employees. Very friendly and approachable upper management team.
With all my Accounting credentials with over 10 years experience, they had me opening mail in the accounting department. Was not utilized. Seemed like alot of permanent employees were afraid to lose their jobs so no one showed you the work or trained you.
OMERS has a wonderful corporate culture of inclusion and diversity.
The work is challenging, but rewarding. It is a great place to start your career, and develop yourself.
great organization to work for. great culture and a very enjoyable place to work. the most enjoyable part of the job is the people you work with. Less stress.
If you like to work in a constantly changing environment where a typical work week is never the same then this is the place for you. Great corporate social responsibility too.
Great perks but overall bad culture. Just to summarize, you can go out and eat the family and everything but you're really not part of the family. Essentially there's a feeling of not belonging. Go in day-day is like walking on egg shells.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
bad culture
I learnt lot of new things in excel and learnt macros.The team was very helpful.It was myy co op .i did for 4 months.We had lot of fun events in the office
Providing leadership of Project Managers and Process Analysts who are responsible for the delivery of a portfolio of projects for OMERS Admin Corporation.
Pros
Pleasent employees to work with.
Cons
Matuity of the oganization
A great place to work. The employees were the best part of working there.
I was in IT, so the typical day would either be normal and quiet allowing you to get your admin stuff done or hectic and loud working on an escalation or a last minute request.

The new bldg was a great improvement over the old one. The Work Cafe was awesome with events happening all the time.

I learned a lot of systems administration stuff that most end users don't even know about that makes everything run in the background so they can perform their job function.
Pros
Thirsty Thursdays, Summer BBQ, Year End Celebration, Kids Christmas event
Cons
Office Politics