Olympia Trust Company Employee Reviews

It’s not worth it.
Securities Coordinator. (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 April 2019
I worked with this company for just under a year. I was first hired by great management, and the atmosphere was amazing! A few months later they got rid of the management who hired me, and brought in some old management. The entire atmosphere changed. I was singled out, and given the blame for things that I could not control. My manager made it clear that she didn’t like me, and seemed to have a target on my back. They would fire multiple people within weeks, so everyone would walk on egg shells. Manamgent would make inappropriate comments in regards to people personal lives. They expect you to stay late, and won’t pay over time. And if they do, it has to be pre approved by your manager, which is unlikely to happen. HR will always back up management first, it is unlikely that you will get them to help you. The only benefits of this place, was the people I worked with and the benefits of the job.
Pros
Co-workers, benefits, free lunch.
Cons
Work life balance, management, no over time.
Not a place for the wise - Foreign Exchange
Currency Trader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 April 2018
I worked at Olympia Trust Calgary office for over 1 year as a currency trader. My compensation package/structure changed at least 10+ times in under 1 year. Management in foreign exchange division has no regard for employees although they come across different.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, no idea of direction.
Really hard but good pay
Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 February 2018
Its good. really good. I enjoyed working there for some time. it was a great opportunity and was really fun doing it. I hope many other people get the opportunity to work around those areas.
Some good some bad
Operations, registered savings plan department (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 October 2017
The good:
They do promote within, laterally or linear
Benefits are a health spending account
I liked the people that worked there
They pay better than the banks do
They have a great Christmas party!
the other perks are nice too

The bad:
They implemented a system that just does not work. Lots of bugs that make your work life so much harder
Managers are fake, don't be fooled

sometimes it depends what dept you end up in and the supervisor you report to. It can make or break you
Pros
great perks, great staff
Cons
faulty system, upper management isn't great
Ok to start your Career
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 October 2017
This is a company to start your career to gain the experience only. Low salary and not a lot of advancement unless your a yes man. There is no Job security and the culture is bad. If Management does not like you it is widely known even if you are a rock star in your role. They have these values that are not lived day to day by the higher ups.
Pros
Health Spending Account
Cons
Low pay, Management is clicky
positive, energetic, enjoyable work environment
Account Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 July 2017
I have held numerous positions over the years in a customer service oriented environment and my time with Olympia Trust was by far the most fulfilling, enjoyable and rewarding position I have ever held. I would not be leaving them were it not for the reason of moving to another city that Olympia Trust is not located in. I woke up every day excited to go to work. The work was challenging without being draining and the support from co-workers and management was positive and constructive. The company grew fast in the short two years that I was there and it was an honour to be a part of it's growth. It's a great company to work for!
Productive friendly Environment with room for advancements
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 June 2017
This place is fun to be around with friendly co-workers that make your day enjoyable. There is tons of room to grow and advance with great opportunities in shares/stocks and continuing education.
Pros
Friendly open atmosphere
Cons
salary starts are low
not great place to work
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 January 2017
this company was demanding too much. no work and life balance. too much work load. not a good place to work, especially for the people with family. this is only based on my IT experience.
Definitely Do Not Recommend
PROCESSING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2017
There is no win-win situation here. Managers make poor decisions without any thought about how it'll impact their business or their employees.
Not a good place to work if you are looking for a friendly and positive environment.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 April 2016
My time at Olympia turned into a nightmare with a constant flow of people being fired and others leaving on their own accord. I enjoyed the work I was doing in the beginning. After the bullying began and went on far too long, I lost my confidence in so many ways. The condescending attitude starts with upper management and is shared throughout the supervisors and team leads. Until these people stop placing the blame solely on the staff they are supervising, the same issues will continue to exist.
Pros
Learning how to interact with aggressive employees/co-workers.
Cons
Left feeling disappointed, isolated, bullied, and undermined.
Fun place to work with many employee perks
Receptionist & Administrative Assistant (contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 March 2016
Olympia Trust is a young company. They provide their employees lots of perks such a monthly parties, discounted movie passes/lift tickets and fun contests. However, the salaries are deplorable. People start under $30,000.
Pros
Employee perks
Cons
Low wages
Enjoy going to work each day
Registered Plans Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 March 2016
The co-workers were the best group of people to work with and you don't feel micromanaged. The company provides very thorough on the job training and lunch & learn sessions.
Pros
Lunch & Learn Training sessions
*** Extremely poor management and integrity has absolutely no place in this company ****
registered plans divison (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 January 2016
Pros: friendly atmosphere
Cons: - abusive management / bullies
- low pay vs responsibility
- no integrity in this company at all !!!
- if you have an opinion do not apply there. They want submissive employees that they can train like monkeys..
I wonder if the board of directors and shareholders that public company is aware of the bad management and treatment to employees ?????
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
long list ... see review
Avoid at All Costs
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2016
This company is absolutely horrible to work for. The senior management maintains a culture of fear. At staff meetings, we had to go around the table and vote which of our team members is the worst and least productive while we all sat in fear waiting to hear our teammates slander one another.

I can say that all of my team members are concerned about job security daily which causes back stabbing and huge trust issues.

Compensation is poor, especially considering the mental abuse you experience daily.

Oh, and don't even think about filing a "confidential" complaint. All of the complaints go straight to upper management and you get canned.

They always claim to be in the "Top 100 Canadian Employers" and "Top 65 Albertan Employers" in their job ads... but check the dates! They haven't been on that list in several years.
Pros
You do get free coffee and pop.... wow
Cons
Stress, abuse, poor compensation
If you have more than two brain cells in your head, save yoursef the agony.
Currency Trader (Former Employee) –  Calgary18 February 2015
Management is disrespectful, combative and extremely egotistical. Complaints of ANY kind against the favored are met with arrogance, hostility and finger pointing in your direction. Staff turnover is extreme and many qualified people have left in frustration due to managements inability to see the forest for the trees.

This particular department does a great job of selling itself, however, it doesn't take long to figure out that it's a den of snakes.

Not sure what kind of ceremony can be performed to excise the demons that dwell there.
Pros
Realized that my moral compass was operating at full capacity
Cons
Realized that the concept of a moral compass was something foreign to most
Sadists run the show
Currency Trader (Former Employee) –  Calgary10 October 2014
Put simply the management culture there is created by a pack of sadists running the show. If your a massicist you will do fine. Not recommend for normal humans and certainly not for extrodinary ones!
Pros
Learned how to protect my ego
Cons
Learned how to protect my ego
Horrible Company in today's economy
Transfer Team Specialist (Former Employee) –  calgary, ab1 October 2014
This company was the worst I have ever seen when it comes to pay and being treated with dignity. Transfer team management was horribly trained and had no idea how to train anyone under her. There is no training provided aside from telling you to read a binder, also who was put as lead is even worse. On the surface you would think wow, but this company is poorly run. I would never recommend anyone to work here or invest their money in this company. When staff is that poorly trained how could you possibly trust them with large sums of money?
Cons
long hours, horrible pay, staff abuse
low pay and incentives
Health benefits adminstrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary31 July 2014
Pay was not good and incentives not comparable to other jobs
Pros
was in a nice area
Cons
Low pay and so much middle management
They were Ok
Mortgage Data Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 April 2014
They were ok with trying to learn my disability, but when it came to training they were horrible at it, I was very confused on the mortgages. and I did not understand a thing in meeting and I asked but they told me the exact same thing look in the manual. and hiring me staff was a big problem for them thy dont know how to hire the right staff for the job.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
not good staff
Good on the surface
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary6 December 2013
The culture sure looks good on the surface but don't be fooled, it is a very clicky group, the management/supervisor team are all friends and needless to say, someone of them have no business being in management, people get prompted based on whether they are liked by the management team versus their merits.
In the time I was there, they must have fired at least 5-10 people for no good reason if you ask me. It felt like a cult in there and you almost need to kiss up to people and god forbid you didn't stroke someone's ego who happened to be in management or friends with them, then you best to start looking for a new job because it is only a matter of time before they let you go.
There are good people there but unfortunately it is hard to tell who is real or who isn't. Definitely not the great company they make themselves out to be. I have worked for smaller and larger companies are have a much better culture and where your performance is actually based on your performance and personality and not whether you are friends with the management team or not...
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Clicky Management and Culture