Olympia Financial Group Inc.

Olympia Financial Group Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada45 reviews
Featured review
Olympia Financial Group Inc. selected this as a representative review
Great place to work at!
It has been nothing but a great experience so far!
You have to be able to understand the importance of your job and have serious client experiences prior to joining Olympia to really understand why everything is looked at the way it is. If you’re someone who has a ‘can do’ attitude, and truly care about the level of service you provide you are going to do great!

Management is amazing! They are quick at noticing when someone truly cares about the company and really wants to succeed and they will support you 100%.

Great benefits and very supportive co-workers.
Work hard and play hard environment
Great start for applicants seeking entry level office, finance, business experience. Lots of benefits, company perks (movie passes, ski lift tickets). Sadly, the pay levels do not match the responsibilities.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Every man for themselves kind of place, unpaid overtime during busy season
great place to work
great place to work. was there for 5 years. fast paced work environment, many paths for advancement. Lots of perks including subsidized movie tickets and ski passes. amazing Christmas party
No communication
I loved my job working within Olympia, I worked hard and was praised for my good work each day, I made a minor error that I was not aware was an issue, as it was in our training for procedure for my whole team. I was instantly terminated, without proper reason, and with no remorse. I was warned management was terrible for this, firing sprees is fun to them, and you are only an employee number not a real person to them. “With is it’s personal” I wish I knew better and worked for a company with more compassion and care for another’s life’s. The employees are great to work with and I made great relations with many, as the management is poor and not communicative
A review of tasks and roles is seriously needed
The Head of the Department where I worked treats his subordinates fair, in my opinion. I have never been treated badly.
The workload is a lot that working overtime is almost always a necessity however it is unpaid. If one does not work overtime, work gets piled up so no choice but to work overtime .They offer time off in lieu however how do you calculate how much they owe you? also if one takes a day off, one will have to catch up on left over work.

Overall, company culture needs to change because as what one of my co-workers described it-- "it's a dog eat dog world" which is why the turn over of employees is so unbelievably high. It is sad because the owner of the company is a very good man and decent.
With us, it’s not business it’s personal.
I saw the poor ratings when I applied and thought it was just bitter ex-employees but I was very very wrong. OTC presents really well to the general public, it is not until you are employed by them that you learn how truly horrible it can be. I spent a year at OTC and left the moment something else popped up. My only regret is leaving the friends that I made during my time there.

The people who work the entry level positions are great for the most part, however management is a completely different story.

The managers at OTC are somehow held to a lower standard despite being paid 2-3 times more than the employees they “manage”. I feel bad saying this as there are a couple managers who I genuinely liked and feel sorry that they are lumped in the same group with the horrible ones.

Their motto “with us it’s personal” is very apparent in the way the management treats their staff, it is personal, not professional. Many managers hold grudges and fail to maintain a professional demeanour (especially when dealing with conflict). There’s no possibility to work your way up at OTC and every “promotion” is a lateral move that results in the same salary, just under another manager. I feel extremely foolish for wasting a year here, when the skills that I learned at OTC were not transferable to any other company (unless you consider managing chronic stress and frustration as a transferrable skill).

There is an extremely high turnover rate at OTC and because of this, most departments are consistently short-staffed. When an employee is terminated, be prepared to be asked to “temporarily”
 - more...
good company
Good company with great team good training program
Run and don't look back.
Avoide this place at all costs.

Poor management, cliquey environment.

You are thrown into any position and promised training but that never happens.

Management is too self evolved to care about the concerns of theit staff. Management is quick to put the blame on staff for the companies shortfalls.

Stress levels are not worth the wage for the amount of time and energy put into the work.

Computer systems are rediculously slow and it seems like IT is constantly trying to fix situations with JIRA tickets, but the issues never get resolved. One issue gets fixed and another one arises.

Proceed with caution.
Cons
Very very poor management.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Olympia Financial Group Inc.?
It’s not worth it.
I worked with this company for just under a year. I was first hired by great management, and the atmosphere was amazing! A few months later they got rid of the management who hired me, and brought in some old management. The entire atmosphere changed. I was singled out, and given the blame for things that I could not control. My manager made it clear that she didn’t like me, and seemed to have a target on my back. They would fire multiple people within weeks, so everyone would walk on egg shells. Manamgent would make inappropriate comments in regards to people personal lives. They expect you to stay late, and won’t pay over time. And if they do, it has to be pre approved by your manager, which is unlikely to happen. HR will always back up management first, it is unlikely that you will get them to help you. The only benefits of this place, was the people I worked with and the benefits of the job.
Pros
Co-workers, benefits, free lunch.
Cons
Work life balance, management, no over time.
Never a dull moment!
Fast paced work environment that puts your investigative skills to the test. A great group of people who work hard and play hard. Good place to work if you are early in your career.
Pros
7.5 hour days, decent benefits, discounted movie passes
Cons
A fairly flat organization so advancement can take time.
Alberta's Top Employer
Olympia has already proven that it is one of Alberta tops employers to me! They offer a health spending account that is a percentage of everyone's salary. This gives me the opportunity to customise my benefits and use them for things I actually need! Furthermore, the building has an onsite gym, which employees are given free access to. I chose to take advantage of this on my lunch breaks. They also have a canvas art program! Which is a super funky, and unique employee experience, that will allow me to personalize my office space with photos of my choosing. In my experience, the compensation has been incredibly fair and completive with the current market.
I would recommend family, friends and others in my network to work here - hands down.
Pros
Free weekly fruit basket
Avoid this place like the plague
Management is completely clueless and the workload does not coincide with your wage. They provide zero training and throw you in the mix with no guidance and should you ask management a question they will marginalize you.
Run the other way
Worked under the president’s executive team and was managed by someone was incompetent and who could barely write an email without having numerous typos. Most of the people don’t know what they’re doing and managers will throw you under the bus to save themselves. It’s a very toxic environment and they pay you peanuts. Nepotism is high so don’t waste your time trying to climb up, they’ll take your job and claim victory for themselves.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, incompetent staff
$ above ethics
Worked in RRSP dept.VP focused on personal life most of the time, those in support roles of VP were unfair&biased. Toxic culture. HR non-existent. Lots to learn and the job was interesting but not enough for the grief.
Witnessed unsavory activity as a daily occurrence, especially from upper management, just went unreported because of fear of losing job and knew HR would not be supportive. Terrible place to work environment.
Pros
None, grief not worth employment, underpaid, long hrs
Cons
Clique culture, entitled individuals at the helm, worst management
Terrible Management
- bad software and technology overall
- bad management that will blame employees for their short-falls

- processes make no sense and involve too many parties

- overall if you have other opportunities, avoid this company like the plague/
Pros
good benefits (health spending account)
Cons
bad leadership overall
Bad management
- unreasonable service standards
- incompetent management

- bad software and overall processes

- low pay but the benefits were excellent otherwise a bad experience
Pros
free pop & juice
Cons
bad pay, terrible management and overall leadership
I wont work here for a million bucks!
This is a horrible company where you are promoted if you are son and daughter of an existing manager. No sense of direction. High fees, horrible values...bad reputation...JUST google these guys and what they have done!
Olympia Trust Foreign Exchange - Airport of Foreign exchange
Two managers are extremely self-serving and want to fill their pockets at any cost, and keep the broken cart going!

Customers are charged anywhere from 4%-10%+++

You are asked to make tons of calls, land clients and then OVER CHARGE them until you get caught!

Middle manager sits on the phone and earns free pay checks.

VP takes 4 months off in a year and 10+ smoke breaks

Truly airport of foreign exchange!
Watch out!
It’s defiantly not what it appears to be. The culture is misleading and guided by a clique group that’s free to bully and mistreat. Wouldn’t recommend to anybody.
Not a place for the wise - Foreign Exchange
I worked at Olympia Trust Calgary office for over 1 year as a currency trader. My compensation package/structure changed at least 10+ times in under 1 year. Management in foreign exchange division has no regard for employees although they come across different.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, no idea of direction.
Really hard but good pay
Its good. really good. I enjoyed working there for some time. it was a great opportunity and was really fun doing it. I hope many other people get the opportunity to work around those areas.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Olympia Financial Group Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.
2.4