OLG Employee Reviews

Modernization shouldn't be this way!!
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Flamboro Downs, ON15 April 2018
Unbelievable how a company can treat their employees with no respect. It's transition time at OLG Flamboro downs and our managers are slashing staff customer service hours to justify they are worthy of keeping their "high paying hide in your office jobs". All departments are feeling the negative effects of being pushed to their limits dealing with angry customers waiting in long lines at the cashier and winner's circle counters. Now with reduced money on hand we are faced with ABM and CTR machines frequently running out of money. We had a great place with top notch customer service here but greed took over that. Part time staff who depend on OLG for a pay cheque to pay bills, housing and every day needs are faced with the reality 6 hour shifts down from 8's to fill in the gaps and with potential of losing their much needed benefits. Great Canadian Gaming hasn't taken over yet although the cage manager decided to jump ahead and change staff schedules prior to the new service provider making their own choices. Staff who challenged these changes were told "that's the way it is" or you can quit. Working for OLG for many years and this is how we are treated?
Do our managers know how to do the jobs we do on daily basis in the event we need them to help? Probably not!!! Good luck to our new service provider taking over this mess!!!
Pros
Great co-workers make great work days
Cons
Management has no integrity......all we want is the truth!!!
24 April 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate your feedback and are always looking for ways to improve.

Poor Management
Site Shift Manager, Slot Operations (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON5 April 2018
They are more focused on training staff on mandatory issued training such as WHMIS and AODA but do not train managers on Human Rights or Labor Law (changes)

Management have too many friends in the casino's and not enough leaders
Pros
something different
Cons
poor management/long hours
9 April 2018

Management VS Frontline
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Flamboro Downs, ON19 March 2018
Management have ruined a once exciting modernization transition by reducing staffing hours and cutting staff to minimal levels for solely their own personal gains. These selfish acts by the management team has brought uncertainty to frontline staff and is damaging our reputation for great customer service we are known for.
Pros
Frontline are like family, we are the backbone of the OLG
Cons
Managers should be able to step up when needed to assist supervisors
21 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sharing your feedback with us. We read each of our reviews and take them seriously.

Lack of training
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Flamborough, ON10 January 2018
Flamborough downs lack of training, coffee breaks more should I say smoke breaks are important. Supervisor needs better communication skills. HR dept has not a clue of what is happening.
Wouldn't work there again or recommend anyone else
Pros
Long breaks with one online supervisor
Cons
Long hours not good pay
lotto sales
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON1 January 2018
if you have good people skills and quick to learn this job is for you you are to suggest added sales but as it is lotto sales people come to you you must be friendly and give customers a reason to return
10 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We would like to thank you for your contributions to OLG and appreciate the feedback!

secure but hard for family life
Dealer (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON10 October 2017
Good money, good work experience. Problem is busy times is weekends and holidays so you are stuck working pretty much every weekend and at least part if not all of every holiday weekend. I enjoyed learning something new all the time issues are its hard dealing with costumers when they lose money. I know I wouldn't want to lose money either and its hard to know to say the right thing when they lose. I am skilled in may different table games and functions of the casino industry. My time there wasn't a terrible experience but I felt was time to move on
Pros
job security
Cons
hours
13 October 2017

do not work here
DUAL SLOT OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON8 June 2017
Fun place work, management is terrible. For instance, say you booked tomorrow off and it was approved. if they need you to come in they will make up a new rule so that you get in trouble if you decline. HR is suppose to be for the workers, it's not!! they always back the corporation.
9 June 2017

Awful pace to work
Dealer (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON3 May 2017
Stay away if you can. Awful workplace where part time means working 40 hours a week, every week and for what? To work every weekend, holiday but if you ever get less than 40, don't worry you'll get called constantly to pick up a shift! I mean, how could you not love it!
8 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry to hear that the working hours are not ideal for you. Since many of our gaming sites are in operation 24/7 (or operate outside of standard business hours), many roles require shift work at different times of the day. This ensures that we are providing the best possible service to our patrons.

Never take a contract role...
Supervisor/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  OLG, ON2 March 2017
Unless you want to be treated like a second rate employee and that anything that you do contribute to is completely ignored.
10 March 2017

Work Placement
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sault-Sainte-Marie, ON25 January 2017
This was a work placement position through a school program and a typical day included filing, making copies, setting up interviews, preparing interview packages and any other duties asked,
The workplace culture was fun and upbeat and the employees were very nice.
Pros
excellent experience, employees were very helpful

Good Place to work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Innisfil, ON7 September 2016
Overall good place to work. It is a government agency so there are benefits and a good salary. Downside is you have to work every weekend and they do not rotate shifts. Also wont accommodate another PT job, it's them or nothing. Overall great staff to work with and a fun environment to learn in.
Pros
Good benifts, good pay, great staff, friendly enviroment, able to learn lots, ability to have advacements
Cons
Bad scheduling, dont work around people's lives

A trying place to work.
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON20 July 2016
The place is very hard to kerp tour cool. You try to help them out but they will not help you out. Not a consistent discipline system. Rules seem to change almost daily of what you can and cannot do
Pros
Good people
Cons
Politics are un believable.
1 February 2017

Stay Away from this place if you need to develop any IT skills
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2016
This place use to be great when they have tge R&D in house, Now it all outsource mostly to companies with devlopers from India. Full time stuff is just working for these consultants & contractors, since they are hired in as Leads. Full time stuff are over worked and under pressure to meet the deadlines, no accountability for the consultants.
Pros
Cons
Management, Career Advancement, Skills Development
1 February 2017

Some great people to work with
Previous /Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Point Edward, ON29 June 2016
As a former employee i loved my job for the first 10 yrs until new management decided to change operations to the department i was working in .Instead of asking the employees who did the job on a daily basis what they thought about the changes they went ahead and implemented the changes .90 percent of the employees did not like the changes as they where not hired for the other position and eventually the casino lost some of their best employees.This seems to be the way with the casino in the way that they do not care about the employees and as always keep the people who are the worst workers.They never seem to listen to the employees who are doing the job if they did the atmosphere and the employees would be a lot happier in their job and therefore would give the OLG 100 percent .
Pros
Good pay vacation and benefits
Cons
Management does not listen to their employees

everyones the boss
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON20 June 2016
be prepared to work with lazy people who do nothing but taddle and gossip on eachother. it is a high school, not a casino. it is a nice place to work at when you are the "new guy" but once the next new person is hired (which is every other week because of all the people that quit) you become the newest target. hard work is not rewarded or acknowledged.
Pros
good food
Cons
Everything else
Stay away
Executive (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 June 2016
As a senior leader in olg lottery division I can tell you this place is full of cliques, back stabbing and butt covering. Typical government - no real "business" going on and no progress - just red tape, stalling and backward thinking. If you are intelligent you won't work here. I'm looking elsewhere now and realize how ridiculous this place is.
Pros
Free tap water
Cons
No funding to support team meetings
Management / supervisor have no clue whats going on.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON31 May 2016
wage is decent,
thats all i have for a review.

they think they know everything, (managment / sup ) but really they don't.

you'll never get full time work ps
It's a fun and fast paced working environment
Woodbine Casino Cage & Coin Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 May 2016
It's a good company to work for and I made a really good relationships with my co-worker. I've learned a lot of things in this company, casino operations, managing people and my soft skill.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Shifting
Fun
Housekeeper/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Elora, ON10 May 2016
A typical day at work would be greeting OLG customers while undergoing heavy cleaning tasks. My co-workers were wonderful and hard working people. This was a very nice place to work. I liked it very much until I found a higher wage elsewhere.
Management is a joke
Cook (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 April 2016
This was the worst place ive ever worked. Management is absolutely clueless to the way things get done. They seem to reward laziness and ignore hard workers. This place is an alright paycheque as long as you dont mind soulcrushing hours as a part time worker and borderline unethical treatment. Be prepared to have 85% or more of your day off requests denied. And to be treated as a utensil. London site restaurant has dated and dangerous equipment in some cases. Would advise a normal job with less pay.
Cons
10 hour turnarounds frequently, no reward for job well done, management picks favourites, soulcrushing hours for part time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OLG. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9