Olds College

Olds College Employee Reviews in Olds, AB

Educational and engaging with the residence. Also adaptable to work around one schedule.
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB8 January 2020
Engaged with the residence of the college by either activities hosted by us, or stopping by and talk with residence on rounds every night. There are two responsibilities. First one is the wellness of the residence - planning events once a month, designing a bulletin board with awareness relating to collage life or internationally (black history month), and resolving conflict when occurs. The second responsibility is the safety of the residence and enforcing policy of the rental agreement every residence signs.
A great experience for students who are Game Day Ambassadors
Game Day Staff (Current Employee) –  Olds, AB23 December 2019
A typical day is the Game Day Ambassadors show up at Ralph Klein Centre 3.5hrs before the starting time to bring out all of the equipment. There are days where we could work for over 9 hours.
The workplace culture is laidback, very great people to work with, and showing up for shifts.

Pros:

~ Great experience for students who would like to work in the Sports industry
~ Great people to work with
~ Having fun at work

Cons:

~ Trying to juggle with playing on a sports team and being a Game Day Ambassador can be a bit challenging at times
~ Having problems with technology, especially with the LiveStreaming software
Very average employer
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB30 April 2019
Not the worlds best, definitely not the worst. A solid 2.5.
Pay rate is about 15% below industry standard but good for rural employment. Well managed in most aspects.
Pros
Baby goats
Cons
It was really fun and the people were great
Set Up Crew (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB30 April 2019
I learned that if you want to get something done fast you need team work because it’s better to have more people to help with stuff and I was already a hard worker but this job made me a hardy worker
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
There is no cons the job was great
It's a good place to go if you want a job
Pizza Cook (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB9 November 2018
This is a good place to go if you want a job. I actually got my job at Canadream her. I've also gotten a lot more interviews as well as another job, even though I was fired after only 3 days
Changing for the Better
Administration (Current Employee) –  Olds Alberta15 October 2018
The changes happening at the college in the past year have been for the better. Morale is up, there is a feeling of community, and departments are working better with each other. There are great ideas being heard and many followed through with.
I feel supported and heard, that my well being is cared about, and that my ideas have value.
Pros
Salary, Staff Culture, PD Opportunity, Beautiful Campus, Office Hours, Holidays
Do not care about employees and their well being
Administrator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB14 October 2018
You are treated as an object not a human. Poor managerial personnel with poor leadership skills. Little or no training. Over time not permitted but was constantly working over time unpaid hours. No backing from HR department or leaders at the college when concerns were presented. Hard work and success not rewarded or recognized or even appreciated.
Pros
Wage
Cons
Non caring atmosphere, no training, no human factor, non caring employer.
College atmosphere
Private tutor (Former Employee) –  olds, alberta4 October 2018
Tutoring is very rewarding. The students are great . The change in department head in 2016 for the Animal Health Technology course definitely changed my role.
Great place to work, management takes the time to understand you
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Olds, AB9 April 2018
I have worked here for almost 3 years and have really enjoyed it.

Has a "small-town" feel and if you're willing to work hard, have a positive attitude and support students you willmost likely be rewarded.

Ability to work well with others and be a decent human being goes a long way.
Pros
Nice, down-to-earth people.
Job was long hours, and away from family
Heavy Equipment Instructor (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB2 February 2018
Had to take contracts at 3 month intervals, and there was no guarantee that there was another contract after the first, so it was always a worry about consistent work. Other then doing one contract with a well qualified partner, the other 3 programs that I ran for the college I was given previous students that had come out of the program to come out as assistant Instructors which I thought was not a good practice but it was not my call.

Also the equipment was donated, and not in the greatest of shape.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Long hours, and not a lot of support
Was a great place but recent changes have made it just a workplace
College Instructor & Tutor (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB20 December 2017
Years ago this was a great personal place to work. changes that are more politically motivated have changed the whole place to a place that is just work. So many good people bought off after years of service and no one with any experience to replace them. Once gone there is no way to rekindle good feelings.
Pros
some good people
Cons
few hours and no benefits, contracts only
workers were treated like objects
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB17 September 2017
The atmosphere around the staff coffee room was very subdued as lay offs were expected with the possibility of privatization at a greatly reduced pay scale.
Terrible
Admissions Associate (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB15 August 2017
Would not recommend working in admissions at the college.
You will be overworked, stressed and worried about your job stability.
Long probationary periods serve to protect the college and not your position.
The office offers little in the way of a friendly culture, and you will receive little in the way of training, or of feedback of any kind.
The job stability is questionable at best with a high rotation of people coming and going through the office. I would not recommend working within this office.
Cons
salary cuts, layoffs, no company culture
Poor place to work, would not recommend
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB24 July 2017
No direction, guidance, or training provided.
No adequate training which sets you up to fail from the beginning.
The company culture is very much fend for yourself or get laid off.
Job security is questionable at best, would not recommend working here.
Cons
long hours, little training, no direction
Challenging
Payroll and Business Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB4 April 2016
Like any government job, salary and benefits were terrific, along with hours of work, however job security is always on most peoples minds.
The department I worked in was such a hornets nest with temps filling in for mid management continually so the main staff were always filling in the gaps. There were two main focuses and that was ensuring that the audit generals requests were met and the new software was implemented on target. Just one of these would be enough for any business team at any given time, but I walked into both. Overtime was not permitted, however in order to reach targets, many individuals were doing extensive overtime without compensation.
The hardest part of my job was knowing that my supervisor was lacking confidence and there was absolutely nobody to turn to. I assumed I was just having conversations with my supervisor at weekly one/ones that started in September, after I had worked there already 9 months, however they turned out to be my demise without knowing where or what I was doing wrong. The standby answer I received regarding many situations that were not being completed properly was that precedence had been set, as it has been done incorrectly for as long as my supervisor had been working there and therefore we must continue to do so, even though it is wrong. My ethical standards were challenged many times. Because of the intense strain on the department with their two main focuses, I didn't want to make any unnecessary ruffles.
Pros
Salary/Benefits/Hours
Cons
Job stability
Good learning atmosphere and helpful instructions from supervisors
Heavy Equipment Operator Program (Current Employee) –  Olds, AB4 June 2014
A typical work day consists of driving out to our pit and performing daily safety meetings and pre job hazard assessments as well as daily maintenance on all types of equipment. I learned how to run a grader a dozer a loader a rubber tire backhoe an excavator and a packer. did have some previous experience on an excavator and a packer. most enjoyable part of the job was working with all different kinds of people and learning in an exciting and fun environment.
A place to grow and learn
Ag and Heavy Technician program (Former Employee) –  Olds, Ab1 May 2014
My experience at college was an enjoyable one, I learned many new things and developed an ever growing interest into my future career. What made it was the the expertise and experience that the instrucotrs ha and were able to pass on to the students. It was not just the trade information that was imoressive but learning vital skills in communication throught the wo career advancement courses that were a part of our program. It was great to wake up every day wondering what the day was going to bring and to be eager to get to school and get into the classroom an soak up the knowledge being passed on or to get into the shop and get our hand dirty.
Really nice place to work, was stupid to leave...
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB10 February 2014
*Great management.
*Very nice team.
*Lack of documentation and procedures but they were trying to fix that for real, implementing Itil standards.
*No off hour work unless there is a real emergency
*A lot of training, course and employee development.
*You feel as part of a family.
Pros
Nearly everything, to the buildings to the warm employees, to the work itself
Cons
Salary ruled by the AB governement, so they cut and froze the salaries...
Excellent, professional work environment with opportunities to upgrade
Media Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB6 November 2012
Majority of duties entailed writing, editing and distributing media releases, public service announcements and media updates to a variety of media including print, radio and television. Also active in writing and publishing stories in industry-specific magazines (eg. Horticultural and agricultural related) as well as in-house publications such as the Alumni Review and Student’s Association Newsletters. In addition to liaising with local and regional media representatives was responsible for monitoring effectiveness of specifically-targeted campaigns. While employed there I learned how to work effectively in group settings and organize people and information to achieve a common goal. I was managed by the Director of Marketing and Communications during my tenure. Our Department consisted of approximately eight to 10 employees. The hardest part of the job was budgeting various events and activities with limited funds. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a project to its fruition.
Pros
excellent learning opportunity, was given substantial responsibility, opinions valued.
Cons
at the time the job offered more hours than i was able to fulfill due to small children at home.