Olds College

• Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Part time contract position

Working with Olds was a part-time contract position. It paid on the lower side of the scale for Instructional Designers, but I chose to do the work because I wasn't very busy. The project had many problems. Mainly, subject matter experts that were too busy to do the project, so the project stalled many times along the way, and I had to wait a long time for feedback for work to proceed. That being said, my supervisor was really supportive and encouraging in the work that I did. He tried his best to keep me up to date, and there were many things that were simply out of his control.

Collaborative, supportive staff

The staff at Olds College are highly collaborative and adaptive with a strong drive to be best in their field. Student success in school and in their chosen professions is always the goal.

Productive and fun place to work

Great benefits and pay. Wonderful people all over campus. Opportunities to advance in the company and many opportunities to learn new skills. Highly recommend applying

Enjoyable and stimulating work environment with challenges too!

a close knit community.....nice people.....interesting place to work..... management are well organized .... my supervisor was good to work with. I learned a lot about dealing with students in their own environment.

Productive work environment

Enjoyed my time at Olds College. Leadership changed a number of times over my time there and each change brought new and varied experiences that were challenging.

Educational and engaging with the residence. Also adaptable to work around one schedule.

Engaged with the residence of the college by either activities hosted by us, or stopping by and talk with residence on rounds every night. There are two responsibilities. First one is the wellness of the residence - planning events once a month, designing a bulletin board with awareness relating to collage life or internationally (black history month), and resolving conflict when occurs. The second responsibility is the safety of the residence and enforcing policy of the rental agreement every residence signs.

A great experience for students who are Game Day Ambassadors

A typical day is the Game Day Ambassadors show up at Ralph Klein Centre 3.5hrs before the starting time to bring out all of the equipment. There are days where we could work for over 9 hours. The workplace culture is laidback, very great people to work with, and showing up for shifts. Pros: ~ Great experience for students who would like to work in the Sports industry ~ Great people to work with ~ Having fun at work Cons: ~ Trying to juggle with playing on a sports team and being a Game Day Ambassador can be a bit challenging at times ~ Having problems with technology, especially with the LiveStreaming software

Curso de Ingles

Increible lugar para aprender ingles, la gente es muy amable

Satisfied

Good work environment and good people surrounding you every one respected you this a place for exactly I’m looking for...benefits are good and also good for all your children..

Very average employer

Not the worlds best, definitely not the worst. A solid 2.5. Pay rate is about 15% below industry standard but good for rural employment. Well managed in most aspects.

Pros

Baby goats

Cons

It was really fun and the people were great

I learned that if you want to get something done fast you need team work because it’s better to have more people to help with stuff and I was already a hard worker but this job made me a hardy worker

Pros

Long breaks

Cons

There is no cons the job was great

Payroll Manager was exceptional

I had the chance to work with the best Payroll Manager, learned so much from her. Can't say enough good things about her, excellent mentor. I had the opportunity to learn about the teachers union and the various contracts. My first experience using Workforce Now. It was only a temp job for a few weeks but I learned a lot being there. I would have happily stayed longer if they needed me to despite the long drive,

Pros

Friendly staff

Cons

Long drive

It's a good place to go if you want a job

This is a good place to go if you want a job. I actually got my job at Canadream her. I've also gotten a lot more interviews as well as another job, even though I was fired after only 3 days

Changing for the Better

The changes happening at the college in the past year have been for the better. Morale is up, there is a feeling of community, and departments are working better with each other. There are great ideas being heard and many followed through with. I feel supported and heard, that my well being is cared about, and that my ideas have value.

Pros

Salary, Staff Culture, PD Opportunity, Beautiful Campus, Office Hours, Holidays

Do not care about employees and their well being

You are treated as an object not a human. Poor managerial personnel with poor leadership skills. Little or no training. Over time not permitted but was constantly working over time unpaid hours. No backing from HR department or leaders at the college when concerns were presented. Hard work and success not rewarded or recognized or even appreciated.

Pros

Wage

Cons

Non caring atmosphere, no training, no human factor, non caring employer.

College atmosphere

Tutoring is very rewarding. The students are great . The change in department head in 2016 for the Animal Health Technology course definitely changed my role.

Great place to work, management takes the time to understand you

I have worked here for almost 3 years and have really enjoyed it. Has a "small-town" feel and if you're willing to work hard, have a positive attitude and support students you willmost likely be rewarded. Ability to work well with others and be a decent human being goes a long way.

Pros

Nice, down-to-earth people.

Job was long hours, and away from family

Had to take contracts at 3 month intervals, and there was no guarantee that there was another contract after the first, so it was always a worry about consistent work. Other then doing one contract with a well qualified partner, the other 3 programs that I ran for the college I was given previous students that had come out of the program to come out as assistant Instructors which I thought was not a good practice but it was not my call. Also the equipment was donated, and not in the greatest of shape.

Pros

Good Pay

Cons

Long hours, and not a lot of support

Was a great place but recent changes have made it just a workplace

Years ago this was a great personal place to work. changes that are more politically motivated have changed the whole place to a place that is just work. So many good people bought off after years of service and no one with any experience to replace them. Once gone there is no way to rekindle good feelings.

Pros

some good people

Cons

few hours and no benefits, contracts only

workers were treated like objects

The atmosphere around the staff coffee room was very subdued as lay offs were expected with the possibility of privatization at a greatly reduced pay scale.

Terrible

Would not recommend working in admissions at the college. You will be overworked, stressed and worried about your job stability. Long probationary periods serve to protect the college and not your position. The office offers little in the way of a friendly culture, and you will receive little in the way of training, or of feedback of any kind. The job stability is questionable at best with a high rotation of people coming and going through the office. I would not recommend working within this office.

Cons

salary cuts, layoffs, no company culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Olds College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement