Olds College Employee Reviews

Great place to work, management takes the time to understand you
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Olds, AB9 April 2018
I have worked here for almost 3 years and have really enjoyed it.

Has a "small-town" feel and if you're willing to work hard, have a positive attitude and support students you willmost likely be rewarded.

Ability to work well with others and be a decent human being goes a long way.
Pros
Nice, down-to-earth people.
Was a great place but recent changes have made it just a workplace
College Instructor & Tutor (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB20 December 2017
Years ago this was a great personal place to work. changes that are more politically motivated have changed the whole place to a place that is just work. So many good people bought off after years of service and no one with any experience to replace them. Once gone there is no way to rekindle good feelings.
Pros
some good people
Cons
few hours and no benefits, contracts only
workers were treated like objects
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB17 September 2017
The atmosphere around the staff coffee room was very subdued as lay offs were expected with the possibility of privatization at a greatly reduced pay scale.
Terrible
Admissions Associate (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB15 August 2017
Would not recommend working in admissions at the college.
You will be overworked, stressed and worried about your job stability.
Long probationary periods serve to protect the college and not your position.
The office offers little in the way of a friendly culture, and you will receive little in the way of training, or of feedback of any kind.
The job stability is questionable at best with a high rotation of people coming and going through the office. I would not recommend working within this office.
Cons
salary cuts, layoffs, no company culture
Poor place to work, would not recommend
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB24 July 2017
No direction, guidance, or training provided.
No adequate training which sets you up to fail from the beginning.
The company culture is very much fend for yourself or get laid off.
Job security is questionable at best, would not recommend working here.
Cons
long hours, little training, no direction
Challenging
Payroll and Business Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB4 April 2016
Like any government job, salary and benefits were terrific, along with hours of work, however job security is always on most peoples minds.
The department I worked in was such a hornets nest with temps filling in for mid management continually so the main staff were always filling in the gaps. There were two main focuses and that was ensuring that the audit generals requests were met and the new software was implemented on target. Just one of these would be enough for any business team at any given time, but I walked into both. Overtime was not permitted, however in order to reach targets, many individuals were doing extensive overtime without compensation.
The hardest part of my job was knowing that my supervisor was lacking confidence and there was absolutely nobody to turn to. I assumed I was just having conversations with my supervisor at weekly one/ones that started in September, after I had worked there already 9 months, however they turned out to be my demise without knowing where or what I was doing wrong. The standby answer I received regarding many situations that were not being completed properly was that precedence had been set, as it has been done incorrectly for as long as my supervisor had been working there and therefore we must continue to do so, even though it is wrong. My ethical standards were challenged many times. Because of the intense strain on the department with their two main focuses, I didn't want to make any unnecessary ruffles.
Pros
Salary/Benefits/Hours
Cons
Job stability
Good learning atmosphere and helpful instructions from supervisors
Heavy Equipment Operator Program (Current Employee) –  Olds, AB4 June 2014
A typical work day consists of driving out to our pit and performing daily safety meetings and pre job hazard assessments as well as daily maintenance on all types of equipment. I learned how to run a grader a dozer a loader a rubber tire backhoe an excavator and a packer. did have some previous experience on an excavator and a packer. most enjoyable part of the job was working with all different kinds of people and learning in an exciting and fun environment.
A place to grow and learn
Ag and Heavy Technician program (Former Employee) –  Olds, Ab1 May 2014
My experience at college was an enjoyable one, I learned many new things and developed an ever growing interest into my future career. What made it was the the expertise and experience that the instrucotrs ha and were able to pass on to the students. It was not just the trade information that was imoressive but learning vital skills in communication throught the wo career advancement courses that were a part of our program. It was great to wake up every day wondering what the day was going to bring and to be eager to get to school and get into the classroom an soak up the knowledge being passed on or to get into the shop and get our hand dirty.
Really nice place to work, was stupid to leave...
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB10 February 2014
*Great management.
*Very nice team.
*Lack of documentation and procedures but they were trying to fix that for real, implementing Itil standards.
*No off hour work unless there is a real emergency
*A lot of training, course and employee development.
*You feel as part of a family.
Pros
Nearly everything, to the buildings to the warm employees, to the work itself
Cons
Salary ruled by the AB governement, so they cut and froze the salaries...
Excellent, professional work environment with opportunities to upgrade
Media Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB6 November 2012
Majority of duties entailed writing, editing and distributing media releases, public service announcements and media updates to a variety of media including print, radio and television. Also active in writing and publishing stories in industry-specific magazines (eg. Horticultural and agricultural related) as well as in-house publications such as the Alumni Review and Student’s Association Newsletters. In addition to liaising with local and regional media representatives was responsible for monitoring effectiveness of specifically-targeted campaigns. While employed there I learned how to work effectively in group settings and organize people and information to achieve a common goal. I was managed by the Director of Marketing and Communications during my tenure. Our Department consisted of approximately eight to 10 employees. The hardest part of the job was budgeting various events and activities with limited funds. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a project to its fruition.
Pros
excellent learning opportunity, was given substantial responsibility, opinions valued.
Cons
at the time the job offered more hours than i was able to fulfill due to small children at home.