Old Navy
Happiness score is 62 out of 100

Old Navy Employee Reviews

Found 911 reviews matching the searchSee all 11,536 reviews

Not a great job for student

This was my first job ever. During the interview, I was informed that I will need to be available for 28 hours per week, I found it was a little too much, but gave it a try.It wasn't bad at first. Co-workers are really nice and the managers too. But I specified on the interview that I wasn't available on Fridays, I ended up being given numerous shifts on Fridays and I didn't complain, because I thought that since I'm a newbie, I shouldn't complain, but I did feel disrespected.When the school year started, it was bareable, the number of hours was a little too much but bearable. But then it went downhill. The manager who was doing the schedule couldn't seem to understand that I am a student and don't have a lot of free time and I kept getting shifts for the whole week-end. Then I got shifts for a couple of days straight. I hated it. With school and the amount of shifts I was getting I could barely breath. With time, the job became so boring. I dreaded each time the moment I will need to go to work, because I knew I would hate it. Overworked and underpayed. Also, you better have a good reason to be missing a shift, because otherwise they don't believe you.

Pros

Nice coworkers, free snacks from time to time

Cons

Boring

Good to get a fire under your behind

If someone you know is substantially lazy and/or unmotivated in life, send them here. You have to watch your every move as any little mistake can cause a scalding from management (e.i. Taking break 1 minute late, not knowing where something goes (even if you have no experience with the department), etc). You’ll learn quick to watch your own back and keep better pace with your tasks. If you need a beginner job this is a great place to get a fire under your behind & get motivated, once you got that fire, run on out because there are infinitely more lax management staff out there.

Pros

Become Motivated & gain Experiece

Cons

Not very flexible, strict management, stressful work environment

Under paid

I worked there for a little over a month and I was underpaid. Yes! I mean UNDER MINIMUM WAGE!!!! I got scheduled for 4hr30mins sifts all the time but when my paycheck came in, I wasn't getting paid for the last 30mins of my shift. I worked 14 hours but got paid for 10, the pay for the last 30 minutes from 4 shifts were caught off. Also, i didn't get paid for the training like at all. When I called employee services, they kept me on hold for 20 minutes and did nothing about my complaints. They didn't fix the issue with my pay and they seem to care.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

Get scheduled for 4hrs30mis but you only get paid for 4hrs and the 30mins is just unpaid labour.

Lots of favouritism from managers

I would dread going to each and every shift because of new management. They have their favourite employees and it is very evident if you are not one of them. However, if you are one of them you will get more opportunities given to you regardless of how long you've worked there. Anyone that is not the favourite will get stuck with the job that no one wants to do. Also if you need to book time off your request will most likely be declined no matter how far in advance you booked it off unless you are a favourite. A couple of the managers are very rude and make sure to show you that they are superior to you and it makes you upset. There is no opportunity to grow with the company so I would suggest finding a different part time job that doesn't make you feel under appreciated for all that you do for them. They also expect you to be available for 28 hours a week but will cut your shifts a couple hours before you start so there's no guaranteed hours which is kind of a pain.Overall, management does not care about their employees, they only care about the company so you will likely get thrown on the back burner for most of your shifts until they need you. The only thing that kept me around for so long were my coworkers and the discount but other than it was not a fun place to be and leaving was one of the best decisions I've made.

Pros

Discount, Coworkers

Cons

Management, new policy, and Management

Toxic Environment

No support from management and expectations are unrealistics. You are only good in the management book when you say yes all the time but when you say no they treat you like garbage.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

No support from management

work is great, management isn’t

speaking from the chinook location calgary, management team isn’t that great. there’s a lot of gossip, don’t treat employees well. if you avoid the drama, work is great lol. but it can be very toxic

Pros

employee discount is good, coworkers are really nice to be around

Cons

they hide a lot of info, gossip about employees, can be toxic

Not worth it

With all it can offer, it is not worth what the company and leadership will do to your soul. Almost no free time. Want you available 24/7 even when you aren’t working. Offers zero help to advance. Chaotic and toxic. Someone in your family can pass away and they will call you every day to work??

Benefits

Cons

Long hours. Horrible schedule. Discrimination.

Great people/company to work with!

My overall experience was really positive. The management was really good to their employees. it was a good place to learn. None of the staff minded when asked questions even if you ask the same one more than once. I really enjoyed my time at Old Navy. I recommend anyone to work there because of the welcoming, easy learning environment. some of the daily tasks I did were: - handling returns/transactions (is very easy to learn)- daily disinfecting/cleaning routines (COVID) - folding clothes and putting them in their homes- assisting customers- every couple of months you would do inventory which is quite fun. you stay with all the staff after closing hours and go through all of the clothing

Pros

big discount on clothes, welcoming enviroment, good place to learn

Cons

standing for long periods of time

Was Decent

I worked there for a year and of course there were ups and downs. The people you work with are great. Management was pretty much good to you. The new 28 hours of availablity you have to provide to them is really dumb. Customers can be jerks to and think they are the smartest person ever...

Pros

Discount, Co-workers

Cons

Rude Customers, Short days

The management wasn’t great

overall it was an okay just but a couple of the management staff were not great. they belittled and talked down to coworkers and they would actively gossip about coworkers in the back office where other people could hear them. made working there stressful. (loved two of the managers though)

Pros

snacks! flexible hours!

Cons

management

Garbage

I got a job there. Had maybe four shifts. They didn’t give me a schedule beyond that. Almost two weeks go by and I don’t hear anything till I got a call saying I was supposed to work that day. Which of course no one told me. So either they didn’t notice I wasn’t there for two weeks or the 20hrs a week I was promised was an extreme exaggeration. The sales associates were nice, in the little bit I actually got to talk to them that is. Management was an absolute mess though. Which I could actually tell right away. Also very little training, my first day I had to wait 30 minutes till someone was free to train me, as no one was aware I was gonna need training or maybe even be there.

Pros

Free masks, nice sales associates

Cons

Everything else

Sales Associates

As a sales associates you can be a cashier, helping customers on the sales floor, sometimes wiping down fitting rooms (due to COVID), answering calls from customers about the product in-store. In terms of management, I was lucky enough to have a very nice team where my managers were very kind and understanding. The hardest part of the job is learning the tiny stuff like looking for items using the iPods or the tablets; as well as the unexpected inquiries from customers. A busy day can get stressful especially when there are 4-5 customers asking you for sizes or inquiring about different things. Another thing is depending on how clean/messy the store location is, on busy days it can be a hassle to fold clothes down and pick up things off of the floor (so don't work here if you don't like bending down all the time). This job is not recommenced for people who easily get tired because as a sales associates you're always on your feet. This job is great teens and/or those trying to get their feet wet into the workplace and gain some experience.

Pros

On special occasions like Christmas or Black Friday, you get donuts

Cons

Long hours, high expectations from managers.

Amazing coworkers and friends

I had an amazing time at Old Navy until the availability policy changed and the management changed as well. This job is not ideal for students anymore. The managers also have favourites and it is clear to see. I didn’t feel like I got recognized for my efforts. I only had a hard time quitting because of my amazing friends who are like my family. I also didn’t receive any opportunities to grow, train other employees or be recognized as someone who has experience.

Pros

Best coworkers

Cons

Availability policy

With proper management decisions they can become a good company to work for again.

When I first started, it was a great experience and it was fun working there. After a couple of management changes, the atmosphere and work environment changed and it showed in the employees. Everyone started to look miserable. The management puts to much strain on their "trusted" employees and expects to much from them. There is no real room for advancement in the company. They are just willing to schedule you more hours with no pay increase.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Poor management decisions with a lot of manager turnover

High demands with little support

Expected to give 150% and get 0 support. Be ready to work whenever they decide they need you if it’s back to back crazy shifts so be it. Expectation is to deliver multi million dollar business on zero budget basically you’re run off your feet on a regular basis.

Pros

Overworked & undervalued

Cons

Short turn around for back to back shifts

Cried every day

Managers expect way too much from you for a minimum wage job, and getting a promotion of a Lead doesn’t even get you a raise. I worked there for almost 2 years and got one 10 cent raise. They act like they appreciate you and then talk about you behind your back when they think no one is listening, and have referred to people who were injured at work as a “waste of payroll.” Okay for a first job if you want to learn how to work in a high stress retail environment and get cash trained, but don’t stay for long because they don’t appreciate you. And don’t even think about trying to call in or take time off work or even change your availability.

Pros

Fun coworkers, Large range of shifts from early morning to late night

Cons

Bad management, poor communication, unstable hours, bad pay, not as flexible with hours as they claim.

good coworkers, not a good company

The best things about working here are the coworkers, a few of the managers because they’re very understanding, and the 50% off discount. However, you’re better off working somewhere else for a part-time job. I stayed at this company almost 6 years and received no raises or benefits. The required availability for part-time employees is now 28 hours, 4-5 days a week (still no benefits). There is little room for advancement. They will promote you to a “lead” with more responsibility (such as training new hires) but still no benefits or raises. They also have taken away the employee discount for Old Navy “everyday magic” items. Customers will be customers, just like everywhere else. It is nice that the managers don’t favour the customers over the employees. We also received free lunches occasionally.

Bad hours and work environment.

Most of the job is incredibly easy. Fine experience for first-time retail workers. They take advantage of young people without work experience and constantly cut shifts short as well as give infrequent hours. I once had a single 3 hour shift on my 2 week pay cheque. Work environment is very awkward, nobody ever talked and I was never even acknowledged by management after I put in my 2 weeks. They over-hire to ensure you are replaceable.

Pros

Easy, Slow-Paced, Good Experience

Cons

Bad Hours, Bad Work Environment

Was absolutely horrible to work there!

Management picks favourites and if speak up about unprofessional behaviour they find out and will push you out. I took vacation and the first day of my vacation I got a call saying that they didn’t know I was coming back (they did) also demote you without even knowing they did it while I was on vacation which I booked in advanced like four months in advance.

Pros

Some nice co works

Cons

This company makes no sense.

If you want to be on call 24/7, expected to work everyday all day doing everyone else’s job this is the place for you. Very little hours. You work everyday of the week but only for 3 hours, If you want to be expected to do tasks in 3 hours even though it’s a 10 part list. This is the place for you. If you want to be bounced between cash, fitting rooms and BOH because they didn’t schedule properly, this is the place for you. If you like favouritism, gossip and rude comments said to you, this is the place for you. The company promotes being available everyday of the week but your barely get hours, your shifts get cut then they call you in the next day. It’s chaos. Management could love you one day and completely hate you the next because you didn’t want to come into work with one hours notice. You have no chance to be promoted no matter how hard you work. The atmosphere is chaotic and bad. The GM is lazy and never shows up to work, constantly calling in sick, never doesn’t anything but walk around with no purpose.

Pros

50% discount, Assitant managers are great, flexible

Cons

Short hours, rude staff, favouritism, terrible GM

Mildly Traumatizing

This was my first retail job. I got hired on during my first year of university, and I specified that I was a full time student and that school would always come first. My first few months were fine— retail is rarely not soul sucking, but I only worked a couple shifts a week here and there. When summer came and my classes ended for the year I ended up on the early morning team, processing incoming shipments. That was probably my favourite part of my eight months working there— it was easy, it was methodical, and I enjoyed my time with the other early morning regulars. After that is when things started to go downhill.Near the end of that summer, I notified my manager that classes would be starting back up again and that I would no longer be able to work those early morning shifts, but I'd be more than happy to return to my couple midday sales floor shifts from before. I then got radio silence from the entire management team for over two months. Not one shift. Not one email.I heard next to nothing from the summer until my final exam period, during which I was scheduled to work on the day of an exam, during the time when that exam was to take place. I asked for that day off, specifying that I had an exam and couldn't work that day.The manager blew up at me. They were livid. They said that I needed to resign if I couldn't make my shifts... after I had gotten nothing for over two months.Needless to say, I sent my resignation shortly after. If you, like me, are a younger person thinking that this might be a nice place to make a bit of cash, I wholeheartedly advise against -

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Old Navy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4K