Old Navy Employee Reviews

Found 635 reviews matching the search See all 7,981 reviews
Terrible
Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta1 December 2018
If you don't buy into the cult of Old Navy you are never going to make it. You have to live and breathe this company and put it before everything in your life. Constant turnover, ridiculous requests from Executives like a new policy of no line ups at the till ever. This despite 4/8 registers malfunctioning and a labour budget that only allows 6-7 people manning the entire store even during peak times. HR doesn't care about people, and DM'S care even less. Also the BS about this place being a Top Employer applies only to the US stores, although the Canadian division claims that fact as if it's up here as well. If you last six months here in Management you deserve a medal.
Pros
Decent compensation
Cons
Too many to list.
A learning experience.
Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Balzac, AB4 June 2018
Company has great values, not necessarily shared instore. Employees get good discount, work long hours on feet. Management struggles. Training is ok - never enough information given.
Pros
Discount, music in store, benefits
Cons
Long hours, sore feet, not enough communication for job success
The management and staff were amazing.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC7 May 2018
Working at Old Navy was a great and huge experience for me. I learnt a lot from working there as a sales associate. Everyone who worked there was very kind and they loved to take care of each other. They loved to help out their community and give to charities. Old Navy ran so many little personal fundraisers that I was glad I got to participate in.
Pros
Kind Staff, Great Community
Cons
Job Location, Transit
Fast paced environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 May 2018
Old Navy is a great starter job. However the salary isn't competitive and there isn't much room for advancement. They also don't train you very well or make it clear what the standard is.
Cons
inconsistent shifts
Not the kind of job you need to pay your bills
Shipment Team (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 October 2018
Put it short: Old Navy's shipment team is not the kind of job you need to pay your bills.
You will have to be there at 6 AM and when the store opens at 9 it's usually time for you to go. At minimum wage, you won't make a lot of money. Also, they will promise you 12 hours per week but once you start you realize you never get those 12 hours.
Many shifts are canceled in the last minute for external reasons; however, you don't work and you don't get paid.
If you need to pay your bills, you end up landing a second or even a third part-time job, which is not healthy at all. Any steady job giving you consistent weekly hours is better and more stimulating than Old Navy.
More suitable for students, maybe.
This inconsistency, and the 6 AM shifts, is not good for your life quality.
Management is generally good except for a few rude people urging you to be fast.
Pros
Good lessons and experience; Team work
Cons
Inconsistency; Canceled shifts; 6 AM shifts
26 October 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We understand this is a pain-point for some of our employees. We are constantly working to improve how we staff our stores and making sure we're putting our time, talent, and energy in the right places at the right times. We are committed to continuing to work on this.

Great place to work and meet people
Womans Department Leader (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON5 January 2018
I worked on the shipment team as well as on the day shifts. I found the job enjoyable and fun. I learned quite a lot in my first three months wanting to advance in roles, but when I did I obtained a role with more responsibility for no raise, just a title. I was disappointed in that.
Management at this location is great. Some drama here and there but for the most part I never saw any issues and it was professional at all times.
I didn't find much about this job difficult other than dealing with some disgruntled customers.
Most enjoyable part is the meeting people.
Pros
Free lunches, acknowledgement towards staff, flexibilty
Cons
On-call, shifts to be cancelled the day before
Co workers great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2018
Fun place to work with great co workers management needs improving. Salary is minimum wage for retail. Flexible schedule can transfer shifts to other employees.
Pros
Small snacks and machines for food
Cons
Horrible mangement
Not enough hours
Brand Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario8 December 2018
INFO

The salary is minimum wage (currently $14/hr in Ontario).

Employee discount is currently (check date of review) 50% off all merchandise. For merchandise that is on sale, you get 50% off the ORIGINAL price.

Shifts range from 4 to 9 hours, but you rarely actually get more than 6.5 hours in my experience (unless you're in a higher position). Subtract 30 minutes of pay from that due to an unpaid break (make sure you ask in your orientation about the specifics of breaks and how long they are depending on how long your shift is).

A tip for people who want to work here is to make sure you ask to get trained on not only the sales floor, but also fits (cash is mandatory but it takes a few months for them to get around to training you). Doing this helps you get scheduled more often.

This job would be good for someone who doesn't want or need to work a lot of hours and just wants retail experience for their resume before eventually moving on.

PROS

The people at Old Navy are, for the most part, great to work with and supportive. I love the diversity of the staff and customers, and interacting with people throughout the day uplifts me and puts me in a good mood. I don't have any problems with management so far either, they seem to do a good job. Everyone works hard and collaborates to get things done efficiently. I find it to be a very fun, enjoyable environment.

CONS

However... the number one thing I don't like or quite understand about Old Navy is that they continue to hire a bunch of employees but won't give their existing employees hours.
  more... My **speculation** (not a proven fact) is that there is some kind of bonus they get for doing this or a quota they have to fill - I'm not really sure. It's frustrating, though, because many people need the hours and need the money and it feels like the company just completely disregards this.

Many employees only get one or two shifts a week. Some get two to four. You can try to get more through an app the employees use to swap shifts, but those shift swaps aren't always approved by management. You will sometimes have one or even two weeks where you get no shifts at all. I've not only experienced this myself but have been told by multiple employees that they struggle to get shifts and this has happened to them.

I don't think the company really wants to make much of an effort to do something about this, because surely it benefits them in some way. And it's not a situation where you can "work on it". You either give your employees hours - or you don't. You either care... or you don't.

Hours are cut and they send you home early if you work a closing shift and the sales target for the day is not reached.

They don't have an organized sales floor training and the training in general seems somewhat rushed.
Pros
Employee discount, fun environment, the people.
Cons
Short shifts, difficult to get hours, hours get cut on slow days.
A fun place to work in overall
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Metrotown, BC25 September 2018
The typical work day is pretty well-defined and management knows how to put you through the motions.

Training is done pretty well and it really does not take much to learn all the stations and their to-do's.

Everyone was always friendly and business-oriented.

Management did their part really well and were always there to help me out.

The hardest part of the job was......having the patience to fold the clothes after some customer just tossed it around, but its part of the job so oh well.

The basic positions are minimum wage and depending on how the store is doing on sales you can have your hours cut.

I recommend taking the job if you don`t depend on it for your lively-hood. Part-timing just to make some extra dough? Go for it. Paying rent anywhere in Vancouver? Consider the minimum hours you`d need.
Pros
Fun people, easy-to-learn routines, Hands-on management
Cons
Possible hour cuts, low pay
Extremly poor management
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB13 December 2018
Do not work here!! The store is a dysfunctional mess there is zero communication between management and employees. The current manager is completely unfit for the position as they constantly fail to properly communicate what's going on or what's changing at the store. Scheduling here is a joke they constantly hire new people despite the fact they don't have enough hours for their current employees!! and they don't properly train the new employees they just throw them on the sales floor and expect them to just magically know. Scheduling often changes, they'll send out a schedule for the next week and then constantly make changes to it after the fact it's like always being on call you never know when you work theirs no consistency. The current manager also often likes to change things just for the sake of change, most of the time the changes are completely baffling and just overcomplicate the most simple of tasks.
Pros
nice discount
Cons
hours are random and inconsistent extremly poor management
Decent starting job and a place to learn
Brand Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 September 2018
Despite the job itself being okay, management at Old Navy was poor for the most part, some were very rude and did not care about the workers. For having so many people on the team, not many would be scheduled per day making it difficult for employees and forcing them to take on numerous tasks at once to complete at almost impossible times. The coworkers are great and supporting which helps the work environment, the hardest part of the job is keeping up with all the tasks and making your pace faster than flow of traffic in the store while constantly multitasking. However the enjoyable parts are the people you meet and being able to socialize more with customers.
Cons
hours are never consistant
18 September 2018

We sorry to hear about your experience. We understand our leaders play a significant role in the experience of our employees. We are dedicated to providing resources to help our managers best support their teams.

It was good for student
Brand Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 October 2018
You get pretty flexible hours but some weeks you barely get any hours while some you get a lot. This is great for students that just want some side money. Not good for permanent job unless you do a management position
Pros
flexible, discount
Cons
not enough hours
Ok, growth was hard as management changed always
Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC19 October 2018
Old Nave Guildford Town Centre was an ok job, and I loved the team I worked with in the early morning. The shipment crew was a great bunch of people who I made many friends. Placing new product was fun and challenging. Trying to move up in the company or seeing any real growth/development wasn't available as upper management changed a lot. During my five years at the GTC location, I had about ten different managers, which made it difficult to move up or be coached adequately.
29 October 2018

We appreciate hearing your perspective. We have recently re-launched our development planning program, GPS, as part of our continuous effort to aid in the growth and development of our employees. We're working hard to keep managers accountable for their team's growth and development. Thank you for sharing.

Great place to work - hard to grow with company.
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON28 May 2018
Typical day at work, management would make sure the employees are having fun while at work. They have team building days at work which makes days enjoyable and employees looking forward to work. However, if you look to grow with the company in the future, it is very hard. They like to hire externally even though you make it clear you'd like to move up and grow with the company and work hard at it. Managers are very friendly, open and very approachable to any situation.
productive
Brand Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON8 June 2018
"The employee discount is AWESOME" "Work life balance could be better" I have been working at Old Navy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have the best managers and coworkers. It's a very fun environment with great management and the company really takes care of its employees with treats for different occasions and rewards/acknowledgement for good work.

Cons

Nothing stands out to me. Occasional difficult customers but a manager will take over if necessary.
Not the best but not the worst.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC5 August 2018
The job in itself was fine and the people that work there are extremely nice, even the management. My issue with the company was they lacked consistency when giving shifts, cut your hours short if it was slow, etc. If you're looking for a job that pays well and gives tons of hours I don't recommend Old Navy because it's overstaffed, but if you're just a high school student trying to scrape up a couple paychecks than they're great.
Pros
Positive Environment
Cons
Overstaffed, Bad Hours
a typical day at old navy
BRAND ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Kingston, Ontario25 September 2018
Managers send you to either cash, fitting room, or a specific table or area to fold, size and organize. These are to be completed to the best of your ability. However, these tasks are interrupted to interact with them by welcoming and acknowledge their presence for loss prevention while offering help and guidance.
Pros
Some associates are great. Management care about how you are on personal level.
Cons
Not enough hours, untrained associates, store is always a mess even during slow hours.
Working at Old Navy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC15 September 2018
I had an amazing time working at part-time Old Navy. Working at old navy required me to be really sociable and help customers as much as possible, which at first I did indeed struggle, but later on the more i worked and got practiced I've really advanced and my social skills only improved. My experience with my co-workers was also amazing, I did not know them at first but they were really welcoming and helped me with my weaknesses when I first started and later on helping me have a great time and feel welcomed The work environment was really clean and organized which I admired as I am a very organized person. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was meeting and helping new customers as i always got to meet new people and learn new things as i assisted them.
Pros
free food for lunch at times
Cons
schedules were changed a lot
12 October 2018

We are so glad to hear this! It is important to us to set up all of our employees for success by providing the necessary support and resources and teaching valuable skills that can be used both in and out of the workplace. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Fun workplace, high intensity
Sales Associate/Cash Handler (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 September 2018
Management is great to work with, really care about their employees and try to make work fun and enjoyable! The hardest part of the job is folding jeans to manager's satisfaction and dealing with some customers that argue about signage in the store. The signage is a reoccurring issue with the company that makes customers very angry.
Pros
Great colleagues and management; friendly and welcoming environment
Cons
Short hours, limited days as a part-timer
fun and lively environment.
Sales Associate And Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON13 December 2018
During my days at Old Navy, I enjoyed coming in for work. Many of the people were nice and helpful, always guiding me so I do not make mistakes. From working there I had learnt many things such as how to work as a sales associate and cashier, giving me plenty of organization skills and how to handle certain situations that are potentially dangerous. The hardest part of the job, did not exist. I toke everything as a challenge and always tried to put my best foot forward. I had also enjoyed everything I did, most memorable was working at cash. I enjoyed communicating with customers.