Old Navy Employee Reviews

very disheartening place to work at
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 October 2018
management is not in touch with reality, they will burn you out and break your back with no acknowledgement what so ever. AFTER all the hard work you put into the sales floor,s it will NEVER maintained and all you effort was for nothing. MANAGEMENT WILL THROW YOU UNDER THE BUS too save their own jobs. Stay far awaaaaayy
Pros
Amazing co-workers
Cons
Disheartening environment
Not the kind of job you need to pay your bills
Shipment Team (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 October 2018
Put it short: Old Navy's shipment team is not the kind of job you need to pay your bills.
You will have to be there at 6 AM and when the store opens at 9 it's usually time for you to go. At minimum wage, you won't make a lot of money. Also, they will promise you 12 hours per week but once you start you realize you never get those 12 hours.
Many shifts are canceled in the last minute for external reasons; however, you don't work and you don't get paid.
If you need to pay your bills, you end up landing a second or even a third part-time job, which is not healthy at all. Any steady job giving you consistent weekly hours is better and more stimulating than Old Navy.
More suitable for students, maybe.
This inconsistency, and the 6 AM shifts, is not good for your life quality.
Management is generally good except for a few rude people urging you to be fast.
Pros
Good lessons and experience; Team work
Cons
Inconsistency; Canceled shifts; 6 AM shifts
It was good for student
Brand Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 October 2018
You get pretty flexible hours but some weeks you barely get any hours while some you get a lot. This is great for students that just want some side money. Not good for permanent job unless you do a management position
Pros
flexible, discount
Cons
not enough hours
productive work place
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON8 October 2018
old navy was a great place to work, good people to work with everyone was very helpful if you were stuck and not able to answer questions for customers.
Pros
lunches were sometimes provided
Cons
not enough hours
Product and Marketing Manager
Product and Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 October 2018
I have worked retail for many years, at various places; nothing is like Old Navy. It is hard and stressful, my training was not great.
However, the pay is reasonable and there is a lot of opportunity for growth. I would say it is best to work your way up.
Pros
growth opportunity
Cons
poor training
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON3 October 2018
Working at Old Navy was enjoyable. It was a paced work environment but manageable. I received decent hours per week. Management was smooth and always on top of the employee's
slow place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 October 2018
most shift goes in setting clothes in piles .. tiring and very unmotivated type of enviornment .. management was a mess. no perks and lesscommunication
Fun workplace, high intensity
Sales Associate/Cash Handler (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 September 2018
Management is great to work with, really care about their employees and try to make work fun and enjoyable! The hardest part of the job is folding jeans to manager's satisfaction and dealing with some customers that argue about signage in the store. The signage is a reoccurring issue with the company that makes customers very angry.
Pros
Great colleagues and management; friendly and welcoming environment
Cons
Short hours, limited days as a part-timer
a typical day at old navy
BRAND ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Kingston, Ontario25 September 2018
Managers send you to either cash, fitting room, or a specific table or area to fold, size and organize. These are to be completed to the best of your ability. However, these tasks are interrupted to interact with them by welcoming and acknowledge their presence for loss prevention while offering help and guidance.
Pros
Some associates are great. Management care about how you are on personal level.
Cons
Not enough hours, untrained associates, store is always a mess even during slow hours.
A fun place to work in overall
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Metrotown, BC25 September 2018
The typical work day is pretty well-defined and management knows how to put you through the motions.

Training is done pretty well and it really does not take much to learn all the stations and their to-do's.

Everyone was always friendly and business-oriented.

Management did their part really well and were always there to help me out.

The hardest part of the job was......having the patience to fold the clothes after some customer just tossed it around, but its part of the job so oh well.

The basic positions are minimum wage and depending on how the store is doing on sales you can have your hours cut.

I recommend taking the job if you don`t depend on it for your lively-hood. Part-timing just to make some extra dough? Go for it. Paying rent anywhere in Vancouver? Consider the minimum hours you`d need.
Pros
Fun people, easy-to-learn routines, Hands-on management
Cons
Possible hour cuts, low pay
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2018
Working around holiday season is very exciting and thrilling. Managing multiple tasks at once was fun and the managers were always available to help and support us
Pros
Discount
Fun place
cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC21 September 2018
I enjoyed working at old navy but it was all thanks to my friendly job mates. The manager was also great and very helpful. It was one of the best jobs I had.
Pros
friendly work place
Cons
I didn't have good hours
Working at Old Navy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC15 September 2018
I had an amazing time working at part-time Old Navy. Working at old navy required me to be really sociable and help customers as much as possible, which at first I did indeed struggle, but later on the more i worked and got practiced I've really advanced and my social skills only improved. My experience with my co-workers was also amazing, I did not know them at first but they were really welcoming and helped me with my weaknesses when I first started and later on helping me have a great time and feel welcomed The work environment was really clean and organized which I admired as I am a very organized person. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was meeting and helping new customers as i always got to meet new people and learn new things as i assisted them.
Pros
free food for lunch at times
Cons
schedules were changed a lot
12 October 2018

We are so glad to hear this! It is important to us to set up all of our employees for success by providing the necessary support and resources and teaching valuable skills that can be used both in and out of the workplace. Thanks for sharing your experience!

A Great Team to Be With
Lead of Fitting Rooms (Current Employee) –  eaton centre, downtown, QC10 September 2018
Really understanding and great managers, well-done training and fair hours. Very flexible for students. Great job for people looking for experience in retail.
Pros
Nice management
Cons
short hours
12 October 2018

We love hearing this! We believe in the value of teaching skills our employees can utilize throughout their careers. In fact, many of our employees began their fashion careers in one of our stores! Thanks for leaving a review.

Fun,helpful and confident workplace
Brand Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON9 September 2018
My experience at Old Navy was my best job experience yet. I loved working there and everyone was so nice. People would help me and teach me as best as they could. The store is a very good, friendly and cooperative place. I would definitely recommend Old Navy to someone who wanted to work in retail.
Pros
break times were good, friendly and welcoming people
Cons
Fast paste, Dont like when you ask many questions when your a month in
12 October 2018

We believe in setting up all of employees for success by providing the proper resources, support, and teaching skills that can be used both on and off the job. We're so happy your experience reflects that!

3 hours per week.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 September 2018
They like to hire lots of associates and give them 3 hours per week which is not fun at all. Store usually is messy. They don't want to schadule people. If you go there for shopping you can hardly find someone on the floor to help you. How can you grow in the company like this .When I got hired I was excited but now I'm disappointed really.
Pros
Discount
Cons
3 hours per week
12 October 2018

Thank you for your comments on scheduling. We understand this can be a pain-point for some of our employees. We are continuously working to improve how we staff our stores, to ensure that we're putting our time, talent and energy in the right places at the right times.

Decent starting job and a place to learn
Brand Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 September 2018
Despite the job itself being okay, management at Old Navy was poor for the most part, some were very rude and did not care about the workers. For having so many people on the team, not many would be scheduled per day making it difficult for employees and forcing them to take on numerous tasks at once to complete at almost impossible times. The coworkers are great and supporting which helps the work environment, the hardest part of the job is keeping up with all the tasks and making your pace faster than flow of traffic in the store while constantly multitasking. However the enjoyable parts are the people you meet and being able to socialize more with customers.
Cons
hours are never consistant
18 September 2018

We sorry to hear about your experience. We understand our leaders play a significant role in the experience of our employees. We are dedicated to providing resources to help our managers best support their teams.

Exhausting - basic min. wage job
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2018
Not sure if things have changed as I hear management has changed hands. It was very tiring, I was stuck with a 4:00am - 7:30 am shift most of the time but would be switched to the day shift every so often. You didn't get many shifts and it was hard to change them if you did.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Early hours, exhausting, on your feet all day
Great job for students
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON27 August 2018
It's a pretty fun place to work, with lots of friendly faces! Great for students who do not want or need lots of hours! Shift's can start and end anytime from 6am to 12pm and sometimes they have overnight.
Pros
Often have snacks for their employees, works well with your availibility
Cons
Shifts are very short, do not expect a shift every week if your availibility is small
Productive Rewarding place
Brand Associate (Former Employee) –  Yorkdale, ON26 August 2018
Old Navy is a great place to start gaining experience of the retail industry. It will teach you the basics of the retails industry and gives a good for training for a fast paced environment. They are also proficient at teaching customer service skills, which are evident from the brand associates on the floor when you walk in!
Pros
Great work space, good management.
Cons
short hours
18 September 2018

This is what we love to hear! We believe in the value of teaching skills that our employees can use on the job, but also outside of work as well.