Old Dutch Foods
Happiness score is 63 out of 100

Old Dutch Foods Employee Reviews

Canada114 reviews

Part time position. Do your job and never hear from management.

Old Dutch is a small player in the salty snack market. Not a lot of innovation and not a lot of allocated shelf space. The company is non engaging for myself as a part time employee. No communication from management. They could have a monthly/bi-weekly email communication on wins the company may have experienced, employee service awards, employee incentives, etc. Competitors have company dress, ie logo shirts. Old Dutch, lucky to get a COVID mask. Realizing they are a smaller company I was treated fairly however could have been more welcomed as a valued employee.

Pros

Set your own times

Cons

Pay

Can be a fun job at times, stressful, too much expected of reps

Getting all your calls done in a week seems impossible Having a short week puts you behind more and you never catch upPaid commission so if there is a slow week don’t expect much, although good weeks are nice No incentives for achieving sales targets

Pros

Free chips Good weeks means good pay

Cons

Long hours Work/home balance Pay Incentives Always behind

Great workplace

When I started my job with old dutch . I felt thats this is great opportunity to show their skills.Firstly this job is stressless and not any tension or worry

Pros

Everything is okey Good pay Good hours

Cons

Good company to grow with

In my time here, I have learned good work is recognized and rewarded. Training is provided as required and it’s a challenging job but once you get organized and comfortable it’s a fun role with opportunities for advancement

Pros

Open company that listens

Cons

Lots of work to do

Working hours are limited but you get flexibility

Working hours are limited but you get flexibility with Old Dutch if you are working as a Merchandiser. I got laid off due to shortage of work which I doubt. I think I got laid off because I demanded more hours. However, managers and work culture is nice.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Limited working hours

Freedom, Challenging, Supportive.

If your sick of feeling "stuck" or watching the clock until quitting time, this is the job for you. Days go by fast, and with some work you can find growth in your accounts. Old Dutch offers lots of training and respects you enough to let you make decisions about your time. With the understanding that you will provide the level of care that is necessary to the accounts that you are given. This job is hard. You will be challenged. There are long days, and sometimes you will feel beat down. The good news is that, in my experience, you will find support. If you are having issues they will help you find methods to succeed. They want you to succeed and will provide all the resources required to make that happen. Being given a territory and watching it grow has been fulfilling. Building relationships with accounts, making friends with people all over. Watching my hard work translate into monetary value in real time is great. I drive by stores with my friends and say "that's one of mine". I didn't have that kind of pride before with my previous jobs.

Pros

Freedom, Commission, Chips

Cons

Long hours, Commission

Great Job, if you don’t want to advance your career

I was hired on, with the mentions that I would eventually get more hours and move into higher positions, as per what normally happens when you start in a part time position.Almost 2 years later, my hours are the same with the odd extra shift here and there and, still receiving empty promises of growth within the company. Was forced to find work elsewhere that would meet my financial needs, as those have grown while I have not with this company

Pros

Flexible hours

Stressfull and face paced.

I would not recommend anyone working here. They basically are happy with what they are which isn't really much. No market growth. No career growth. Management at any level is always critical and are never happy with your results. Fast pace and stressful old technology old fleet and basically old mentality of selling word of mouth and your doing all the heavy lifting and dirty work. Absolutely terrible!

Pros

Free expired chips.

Cons

Stressful, long hours critical lack of management in all levels.

Fast paced, physical, strenuous and stressful.

It’s great pay with benefits however there is no room for growth within the company, and you get treated poorly. Mandatory overtime enforced, bottom of seniority hour cuts and potential lay offs on slow seasons. Management does not care for its employees, and most of if not all are very rude and condescending. You’re nothing but a number at this company and the workplace as a whole can be very toxic and stressful with very poor morale.

Benefits

Cons

Terrible management, very poor morale, lay offs, hour cuts, toxic working environment, stressful, fast paced and physical.

Awful place to work

Fast paced and difficult work in a hot environment. Hardly any training and expected to know exactly what to do without being trained. People working there from management supervisors and co workers are arrogant and ignorant to work with and for.

Pros

Free bag of chips at the end of shift.

Cons

Ling hours on your feet with fast paced machines they won't slow down for anyone.

No good

I would advise not to get sick at this job. Got sick 2 separate occasion and got dismissed from the company. No proper explanation. The company and managers do not communicate properly, concerning the job or employees. Don't waste your time.

Pros

Free stale chips

Cons

No communication. And not alot of covid safety protocals

Great company to work for

As a route sales rep for a little under a year after being a distributor for a couple years I love working for this company. I have been treated awesome from all levels of management and feel they are all there to support my effort to succeed.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Lots of driving on some routes

Ok group of people the pay just is not enough

As RSA you work on various routes if a distributor is off for 1 reason or another. You don't get commission & its alot. The BDMs are all ok & GM is ok as well. Warehouse guys are the best!!!!

Pros

great group of guys

Cons

Pay too low

The job is great. Poor management is obvious and favouritism is unreal there.

The job is great, not hard, and great pay. Floors are hard on your feet as you wear steel toe shoes and on cement floors. Poor management is obvious and favouritism is unreal there. Gossiping and back stabbing is well known. Drugs is a huge problem there.

Pros

Great pay, easy job

Cons

Poor managment, trouble makers, drugs

Great experience

All I can say is it's really nice working here at Old Dutch, you a life and work balance here which is good. I had fun too actually and the people are kind.

A fast moving environment

It was a fast working environment but it also helped me exercise because of the constant movement. A typical day of work is you get assigned to a location for a week and each day you tasked to lift up a certain number of boxes.

Terrible Upper Management. Awful hours . I did well money wise but you had to work insane hours to do it . Upper management does not take criticism ev

Terrible upper management that hasn’t a clue on what different markets need. Upper management doesn’t acknowledge any negative feedback even if it would help Sales

Pros

The Customers

Cons

Upper Management!!!!

Horrible management and dismal warehouse environment, Filthy dark and dingy.

I was a route sales rep for Old Dutch for 5 + years. The shop I run out of was in Scarborough, a filthy dirty place. My main reason for leaving was poor management. They were a bunch of fellows who lead like it was the 1960 using threats and raising their voices to try to get the message across. Looks like things haven't changed since i left or maybe they have gotten worse because i see help wanted signs on the back of their trucks now. Smart, progressive not reactive managers at Old Dutch would be a good thing because they make great potato chips. I probably would have stayed with Old Dutch because the route I had made good money but reporting to an arrogant chauvinistic rude bunch of guys who treated all employees poorly just wore thin over the years till i had to get out. P.S. The grass is greener everywhere, just go look around.

Excellent company to work for

Great company to work for. Lots of opportunity to be independent and run your own route. If you really care about growing your route and putting in the time to develop the calls and store relationships you can make very good pay cheques. Company recently moved from strictly commission to base + commission which was necessary and appreciated in the GTA. Expect to put in some long days in your first few months as you learn the business, but this will improve....time management, organization, ability to work independently, and being efficient are really important traits in this job. There are many opportunities in each store to grow your sales. Very supportive management, not afraid to be in the market and support Reps. There is a lot of opportunity to advance as managers are often promoted from within after putting in time in the field and the company favours promoting from within rather than externally.

Pay is fair however work life balance is not

A very clickish environment that rewards those that are connected to upper managment . If your liked by your immediate supervisor things are great , you'll get support in every aspect. However if your not you will get no support and unfair tretreatment.

Enjoyable job

I worked here only for two months as a temporary worker in 2019 .love to work here, supportive staff, gud benefits and gud salary.easy to reach with in the city.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Old Dutch Foods. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement