Old Dutch Foods Employee Reviews

Service Sales Rep. Worst Job Ever. AVOID COMPANY
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON5 December 2018
This company is one of the most unorganized companies to work for. They don't know the sales and promotions going on half the time so setting up displays to hit your commission goals is impossible. Working 12 to 14 hour days going to 20 dollar calls 40 minutes off your route. Loads you place are either late or don't have half the stock you ordered, or both. Management will never have your back with Managers that are unfair and unwilling to take your product over Frito Lay. Have to maintain every aspect of your own truck from oil changes, to changing winter tires, to painting chips and scratches, all on your work time so taking away from your sales to fix there company trucks. Was told to switch from Mon-Fri work week to Tues-Sat which was very frustrating. Have no chance to compete against Frito Lay in the market. If your route has any kind of seasonal business you will be making nothing in the off season as it is strictly commission based salary. Can get paid 250 a week sometimes with the commission your making.
Pros
Cons
Entire Job
Very productive
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 November 2018
Lots of Shipping and lots of receiving, everyday had a certain quota we needed to complete. Management was handled fairly well, decided what need production and what didn't. The job was very repetitive and got old quick but paid very well.
Pros
free chips/discount chips
Cons
repetitive
Terrible way to make a living
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Cape Breton, NS13 November 2018
Work 12-14 hours a day on commission only. Starvation. No help from management. But was lazy and took credit or everything. Drive 20km to do a $20 stop. Terrible. Would not recommend this company to anybody. Stores would favour Lays.
Pros
Working alone
Cons
Management sucked.
Great company to work with
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON24 October 2018
Phenomenal company with great pay and benefits. They are huge in the west. Wish they were big in Ontario as well. Their HD snacks are #1 in the category. Put the Frito Displayer and Old Duch Humpty Displayer together with same price point, Humpty snacks will out sell Frito snacks.
Pros
Great Management team, their sleeve are always rolled up to help the reps in the truck and the market as well
Cons
Sometimes loong hours
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON24 September 2018
Old dutch is a great place to work. You can make a great salary and learn a lot. Their is a lot to learn about sales and territory management. Hours are good.
Sucks
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 September 2018
Lazy people, bad management, not enough hrs sometimes. Repetative, annoying. I would never go back as you get accused for the stupidest things. Stick to Lays
Very productive
Packer Operator (Former Employee) –  Hartland, NB27 August 2018
You have a chance there for advancement.some people choose to others are happy with their current position.they are a family oraianted workplace which is nice.the management is very good.its a great place to work and have time for family life.
Pros
The hours
Cons
Try not to eat chips!!
Long hours and unorganized
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 August 2018
12-15 hr days to visit 13-17 calls daily ranging in value from $20-$200. Too many small cash calls eat up your time. Company as a whole is not involved with Sobey‘s and food lands which makes it very difficult to achieve your weekly target which you’re paid 100% commission. BDM was great to work for. Not enough time to get your route done and have a life with family. Loads are late and or stock is cut and not delivered which Makes it extremely difficult to keep the appropriate stores in stock and create proper I nvoice values in which again you’re hundred percent commission on. Always playing catch up due to loads being late.
Pros
Your not in a factory
Cons
Long hours, Unorganized loads are normally late which means you play catch-up
Good company to work for
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Hartland, NB30 July 2018
A typical day: Consists of loading trailers with product and making sure the order is accurate.

What I learned: Old dutch taught me a lot about safety, as we would get WHMIS training twice a year.

The hardest part of the Job: That would have loading the trailers in the winter. We would have to load in -30 degree weather most of the winter.

The most enjoyable part of the Job: Would have to be the crew I worked with. They were all hard dedicated workers, super easy to get along with and they all made sure the work got done, even if that meant overtime.
Pros
Company was unionized.
Cons
Had to work a lot of overtime.
Not worth your time
Relief route deiver (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 July 2018
Guaranteed “salary” for relief however when you do the math on hours worked to take home your getting less than minimum wage. Can place you all over the place. Long hours with little to show for it. Job was certainly sold well by recruiter, just not worth it looking back at it.
Pros
Not sitting at a desk
Cons
Everything else
Machine Operator/Sanitation (Former Employee) –  Hartland, NB15 July 2018
so a typical day for me is i would come into on 3rd shift and start cleaning my line. i learned the importanse of sanitation. my workplace culture was alright mostly tryed to work alone. the hardest part of the job was the amount of work we had to do at the end of the week due to the lack of empolyees on my shift.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
lots of gossip
Unfair workplace
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 June 2018
I worked in the shipping section. Management are bias and racist. They also expect you to do co workers job when they are not present which causes favoritism among others.
Pros
High Pay and Good Benefits
Cons
Humid environment, racism, unbalanced
Very stressful fast paced job
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 May 2018
The management was disgusting. I worked in the shipping section and the supervisor was disgusting. He didnt like to help/take time to support whenever I needed help with something. Pay was good but couldnt stand him and the lack of staff. Also beware of laid off (mid nov)
Pros
Good pay, benefit
Cons
Little to no help, rest, expect to handle co workers job when they arent on time/present
Customer Service based
Driver/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 April 2018
The job at Old Dutch was a very competitive great opportunity for myself. I went through a six weeks training and probationary period. I was then made a relief driver, taking over the drivers routes when they were on holiday or helping when I was not needed to take over. The hours ranged from 50-60 hours weekly and gradually less the longer i was there.
Pros
Worked independently and was great pay
Cons
Very long weekdays with no time for my family
good
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga Valley, ON28 March 2018
not bad not good typical day at work.nothing to larn new things management is ok work culture is not to bad the hardest part is job is everyday. drawing.
Cons
It is an allright place to work in
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 March 2018
It was allright working for them, however you need 25 hrs aday to finish your job. You start from 5am till maybe 7pm and sometimes weekends, it will suitable for someone who is single.
Long ridiculous days and expectations
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON19 February 2018
Very long days even and always expecting to complete your daily route clock. No family time, will burn you out. Only commission no salary + com how it should be. Merchandisers could make more than RSR representative with the long hours you put in.
Pros
Free out of date chips
Cons
Long hours, management expects all stores done, no salary with commision.
Great Earnings As Long As You Put In The Time
Regional Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 February 2018
Started by being a relief driver, quickly was promoted to company route driver, and then eventually owned my own route. Old Dutch was a very lucrative job but it was many long days to make it such. twelve to fourteen hour days, six days a week left very little family time but it paid a lot of bills. I would probably still be there if it wasn't from being T-boned in an intersection on my way to work on Christmas Eve and being advised to complete my day instead of going to hospital. My family decided that a change needed to take place. Not only for health but for life balance, and unity.
Pros
Great wage and support
Cons
very long hours, No benefits.
Sell you the dream, you service the nightmare
Relief Retail Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 February 2018
Worst job ever, no team support, no team at all. management pushes for sales, that's it. they expect you to work 12-15 hour days even though they post in the listings 44 hours a week.
Pros
free stale chips
Cons
everything about the company and management
Fun job
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON24 January 2018
Working for Old Dutch Foods was great. Used to deliver products to stores throughout a large area. Was able to make my own hours (within a reasonable time frame). Management was supportive.
Pros
Job was a lot of fun.
Cons
Sometimes long days