Old Dutch Foods

Old Dutch Foods Employee Reviews

Canada101 reviews
A fast moving environment
It was a fast working environment but it also helped me exercise because of the constant movement. A typical day of work is you get assigned to a location for a week and each day you tasked to lift up a certain number of boxes.
Great experience
All I can say is it's really nice working here at Old Dutch, you a life and work balance here which is good. I had fun too actually and the people are kind.
Terrible Upper Management. Awful hours . I did well money wise but you had to work insane hours to do it . Upper management does not take criticism ev
Terrible upper management that hasn’t a clue on what different markets need. Upper management doesn’t acknowledge any negative feedback even if it would help Sales
Pros
The Customers
Cons
Upper Management!!!!
Horrible management and dismal warehouse environment, Filthy dark and dingy.
I was a route sales rep for Old Dutch for 5 + years. The shop I run out of was in Scarborough, a filthy dirty place. My main reason for leaving was poor management. They were a bunch of fellows who lead like it was the 1960 using threats and raising their voices to try to get the message across. Looks like things haven't changed since i left or maybe they have gotten worse because i see help wanted signs on the back of their trucks now. Smart, progressive not reactive managers at Old Dutch would be a good thing because they make great potato chips. I probably would have stayed with Old Dutch because the route I had made good money but reporting to an arrogant chauvinistic rude bunch of guys who treated all employees poorly just wore thin over the years till i had to get out. P.S. The grass is greener everywhere, just go look around.
Excellent company to work for
Great company to work for. Lots of opportunity to be independent and run your own route. If you really care about growing your route and putting in the time to develop the calls and store relationships you can make very good pay cheques. Company recently moved from strictly commission to base + commission which was necessary and appreciated in the GTA. Expect to put in some long days in your first few months as you learn the business, but this will improve....time management, organization, ability to work independently, and being efficient are really important traits in this job. There are many opportunities in each store to grow your sales.

Very supportive management, not afraid to be in the market and support Reps. There is a lot of opportunity to advance as managers are often promoted from within after putting in time in the field and the company favours promoting from within rather than externally.
Pay is fair however work life balance is not
A very clickish environment that rewards those that are connected to upper managment . If your liked by your immediate supervisor things are great , you'll get support in every aspect.
However if your not you will get no support and unfair tretreatment.
Enjoyable job
I worked here only for two months as a temporary worker in 2019 .love to work here, supportive staff, gud benefits and gud salary.easy to reach with in the city.
Production, Cleaner, warehouse
I enjoyed working at Old Dutch Foods, I was diagnosed with depression and hurt my back although its no excuse i was overwhelmed myself and failed to go to alot of shift now i have recovered and my sobriety is strong
If you like working alone. Its a fit
Too many calls in a day. You really have to hustle. You can have some very long days. Friendly environment. Good hours if you have the right route. Management is very supportive.
Pros
Work alone
Cons
Fully commision based
Chip distributor
The job was very hard working but good atmosphere and it was good people to work with. The high prairie branch has an amazing manager and I would work for the man again
Crooked company and crooked trainer! Lousy pay!
Job is easy. BUT I was forced to learn 80 products and their product numbers. I learned and knew them. After 2 weeks I was told to be pretty good with everything and the trainer changed. New trainer showed me that I could just scan the number and DON'T have to know or memorize them. ?????! Rest I was good at : Scanner, customer service, driving the truck, recognising all product. Than this happened: Nov 3, 2019 the hwy was pure ice! Everywhere cars and trucks in the ditch ( I counted 10 ). We were sliding along the hwy 16. Trainer told me to drive 60km/hr later 40km/hr. After 1 hr we stopped at Wabamun and I found out that we had worn out summer tires on the truck !!! I refused to continue to drive. I said, "I don't want to loose the job, I just won't drive today the truck with these tires in these hwy conditions ". Well, I was fired on the spot. Crooked company and crooked trainer! Don't trust what they say. Lousy pay. 650 a week for 10 hrs a day!!!
Pros
free expired greasy chips
Cons
everything else
Unbelievably behind
the Biggest issue with old Dutch is their unwillingness to advance or push for anything more than just survival.

No sales team

No dispatch software

No ability to track sales

Basically it’s 1950s

Drivers are expected to collect cash and deposit into their own bank account and pay old Dutch as a bill and they are expected to do so on their own time
Lack of management
Management was more concerned with going home by 3 then coming out to help drivers especially during the busy season ( November to January) especially when your route wasn't close to the shop.
Not somewhere I would recommend
The main problems lie with the company not being competitive in the market
As a result your paycheque suffers

Management cannot relate to their workforce

They believe that 35k a year is an acceptable salary for a full time employee in 2020
Poor management weak supervisors
Management really is poor. Lack of leadership. Very stressful. Decent hours decent work. Fun to interact with customers. Fun to set up displays.
Pros
Decent hrs
Cons
High stresd
Its ok
Decent Job cant complain. Just filling out a bunch of words now because the system is forcing one hundred and fifty characters on me and i personally f
Owner operator
can be very rewarding to the right person. Whom has the ability to balance work and private life, in a 10-14 hr work day. Responsible for any and all issues related to getting product to customers.
Good
Good Canadian company to work for lots of hours available easy work lots of hours people all nice to work with just too many hours for me at my age working 50 to 60 hrs
Pros
Good money
Great
The best job I had. It was fun and loved the deal they give to employees for chips.made new close friends like a family unit environment. If I could have stayed at a job like this my whole like. I would I had to go back to school
Pros
Chips
Cons
No cafeteria
Great
I loved driving for old Dutch! It was fast pase and kept me busy. The only thing I had an issue with was I didn't have my own run I was only a spare driver and never advanced
Amazing place to work!
I have been working for Old Dutch for 5 years now and I absolutely love working for this company. My manager is easy to communicate with and always willing to lend a hand. The hours are really good and great opportunities to increase your sales/pay.