Olameter Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
What a joke, dont be fooled
Reader (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 August 2018
This employer doesnt care about their employees. They will grind you into the ground for very little pay. No reimbursement for using your own phone and car. Dont be fooled by claims of $25/hr,its all lies to try to hook new people. If it was a good job, they wouldnt be looking for new people all the time. Turn over is high, be prepared to get screwed over every chance they can. Save yourself the aggravation and apply at tim hortons, you ll make more and be happier
Pros
Cons
Waking 100 kms a week for $300
Don"t work here.
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Ontario13 August 2018
The only reason you should work here is if you don't like yourself. You will never get a raise, in fact they will only take money away. There is no future with this company. Plan on killing your vehicle and getting little in return as pay goes. Do yourself a favor go work anywhere but here. Can't believe that I stayed as long as I did.
Cons
No money
Get fit, get paid
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC1 July 2018
If you like to be active, be outdoors and you want to get in shape this is a great job. The pay depends on how you performn your job but it isn't hard to make $35/hr. There are routes that are better than others and they are distributed evenly so everyone gets there chance to have some $50/hr days. Overall only negative is the weather. Rain or shine or snow or sleet you are out there walking.
Pros
Freedom, flexibility
Cons
Weather
Worst company to work for
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON27 June 2018
I have worked for Olameter for a year now and I can say it is the worst company I have worked for ever. They do not care for their employees and use a garbage pay system just so they don't have to pay their employees minimum wage. I have worked with people who have been there for 15 years and still make the same amount of money as a person who started that day. Do yourself a favour and DO NOT take this job.
Pros
Cons
Use your own car. Long days wether rain, snow, hail or extreme heat.
Hard work pays off
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  British Columbia19 May 2018
When I think about ALL of the other jobs I could be doing, none hold a candle to the benefits of this job. Its not perfect, but if you like making money, having flexible hours, good management, and essentially getting paid to be active, this is a GREAT job.
Pros
Minimal supervision, flexible hours, $$$incentives
Cons
NONE ( unless you are a born complainer )
Overall, great pay and honest work
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC17 May 2018
I have been working for Olameter for just over 5 years now, during this time I have found it to be a good company to work for. If you are ambitious, a self motivator and prefer to not have the boss watching over your every move, this is a great place to work, The work allows for a degree of flexibility which is really appreciated, The pay is quite good and there is plenty of variety in the work day to keep the time flying. I find the management to be accommodating with requests for time off and holidays and they openly listen to any concerns or comments that you may make. The job itself isn't difficult but it does require you to be alert and aware of everything going on around you at all times, you're not just reading the meter but also ensuring the safety of the gas flow to customers as well as your own safety in an ever changing environment.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the variety of work locations, the interaction with the customers and the freedom to go in early to finish early if you want.....
Pros
Pay- average of $30-$40 p/h, working hours, flexibility, degree of freedom
Cons
Bad weather, Bad traffic
Good pay and flexible work hours and lots of fresh air
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 May 2018
As a meter reader with Olameter your expected work time is 6 hours of meter reading daily. You can choose your start time within reason as long as you can complete your assigned workload.

The pay is piece rate and your speed of work more or less determines how much you make per day. As there are differently paying routes, there is a system in place to assure equal distribution between readers.

Usually, my work load does not exceed 40 hours per week (including driving to the work areas and back), with an average pay of about $35 per hours.

In my experience, the management is very accommodating with requests for time off. I never had any issues taking time off for doctors appointments or family events.

What I like the most about this job is the sense freedom. You can go about your work without anybody constantly looking over your shoulder and micromanaging your activities.

Like all jobs, this job has positive and negative aspects. For me, the positive definitely outweighs the negative.

Especially during the summer time, I really enjoy my time in the field.
Pros
High pay of up to $40 per hour, Flexible start time, Working outdoors on sunny days
Cons
Long walking distances, Exposure to the elements, Working outdoors on rainy days
Great Pay and Flexibility
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  BC9 May 2018
I have worked as a meter reader with Olameter for years. My first year was pretty good but the second year I increased my earnings substantially and every year thereafter. The freedom and flexibility of the job is a huge bonus, as long as the workload is completed daily.
Pros
Pay says $20+/hr potential butis easilly $40+/hr if you move
Cons
Must work in rain and snow
Worst 50 managed companies ever
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Ontario16 April 2018
No raises. Not even cost of living. Walk 100km a week in all weather conditions. Only 2 sick days because the gov't made them. Treat everyone like there expendable yet can't get people. No reward for seniority. Mediocre benefits that are expensive. Constant threats and bullying is management philosophy. You use your own car and cell phone no reimbursement. Just a horrible place to work.
Pros
Cons
Everything else
its a job
Collections Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON3 April 2018
it pays the bills, being a contract work the job security is some what not stable. you have to keep you emotions in check when dealing with customers at the end of the day their needs will come first
Terrible pay
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  ON20 March 2018
Piece work rate is not enough, no compensation for drive time under 30 minutes. Honestly if you have a vehicle and a clean criminal record you can do SO much better than reading meters with Olameter. Keep Looking!
I once recommended the job to a younger guy during my first month of work, I regret giving that advice and hope he did not apply.
Two weeks over undet
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON17 March 2018
50 miles walk a week for 310$ minus your own fuel 80-90 week wear and tear and you have a weekly wage of about 200$ take home.They don't want to pay minimum wage so you get 19 cents a house. They want all the money.
Pros
Outdoor work.
Cons
3$ an hour
Horrible
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON23 February 2018
Bad management. If any is around. Horrible conditions for bad pay. Not worth it. And if you want to go on vacation make sure you know by end of February when it is. And if you need a doctors appt. not guaranteed off.
Worst Company Ever
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Ontario9 February 2018
If you ever hope for a raise, this is not the job for you. This is a piece rate job, and they like to play with the numbers. They will give u a raise in one area, and reduce your pay in another. Never giving yourself a true raise. In fact the walking rate is the same rate, meter readers were making 20 years ago. Don't ever expect more then the legal minimum for vacation. No matter how long you have been there, Olameter will only pay the minimum.
There is always the chance of an injury or getting bite by a dog in this type of job. The winter time is worse.
Your required to use your own vehicle for this job. If your lucky the car will be paid for before it dies.
If your considering this for a job, do yourself a favour. Move on to the next one.
Pros
lots of exercise
Cons
injury potential. Terrible pay. Use your own car
Completely unprofessional
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Trail, BC8 January 2018
You have to use your own vehicle for this job so the take home is very small, especially for such an unsafe, high pace job, nobody in the region knows meter readers still exist, and when that bites an empmoyee in the rear, they get thrown under the bus, communication and training were all extremly poor and workloads extemly unbalanced with an unrealistic expectation.
Pros
Loose schedule
Cons
High risk/cost
not a fair hire employer
Gas Meter Reader ( Outdoor work) (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 November 2016
Myself and 2 women forced out by the lead hand
Poor rotation of good routes
Always told it wasnt a job for woman
Constantly reported to managers, but yet male readers never were for the same infractions
Worker on WCB harrassed about return to work
No future for advancement
Gas meters are going digital as well so no future with that company
meter reader/former
meter reader (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 June 2016
Best sabatoging company I ever got slammed from
Best 2 faced employees award
Best corrupt negative company that will through you under the bus to any utility
These companies need to go to school for proper etiquette as they were raised , well not properly .
can be quite stressful at times
Utility Locator (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON11 May 2016
wide work area & a lot of travel time from one work address to the next.. I haven't learned anything I didn't already know, but I am now a certified locator trainer thru the company.. management is average.. coworkers are good bunch of guys.. hardest part of job is locating utilities in difficult areas & work load can be stressful.. completing work load is a nice feeling...
Pros
work on my own
Cons
work on my own & some days long hours
milieu dynamique et actif
Installateur de compteurs de nouvelles générations (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC8 February 2016
un milieu de travail dynamique et productif, dextérité manuelle , meilleur service à la clientèle, installation de qualité
Pros
bonus
Climat de travail agréable
Agent principale en contrôle qualité (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 February 2016
Les conditions de travail sont très avantageuses, une bonne organisation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Olameter. Our community is ready to answer.