Olameter

Olameter Employee Reviews

Canada78 reviews
Office personnel is very friendly and helpful. Upper Management feels people are expendable and easily replaced. They pay on time bi-weekly. They adhere to ISO safety standards.
If you like yourself at all, do not work for this company.
Have some self respect and move on.

They lie, the pay is terrible, and you will destroy your car.
Management are bullies , advance friends and hard workers are left behind. HR at head office is very unaware of what’s going on in BC. Caught manager in lies.
Pole testing, definitely for the fit and self driven individual. Pay scale varies depending on the pole asset being tested, wood, fiberglass, concrete- wood pays the best, on or off road. The pml portable densitometer (drill) employed in non destructive testing is prone to frequent malfunction, toughpad field computers are unreliable for required bluetooth connectivity with the pml drill, gps connection is unreliable and no testing can be conducted without it, especially in vegetation. Work cannot be performed in the rain or in water saturated soil. The result for the person conducting the testing is many days off with no income and you are expected to ship equipment back for repair to them on your own time and in your own vehicle with no reimbursement. My equipment malfunctioned so frequently, I set up a no-sign account with purolator, they were at my house weekly picking up or dropping off equipment. If the equipment is operating properly and the weather is good it is possible to earn very good money ( 250-300 day for 70-75 poles, 9 hrs straight work), unfortunately the technical department don't know how to properly repair of test equipment and seem oblivious to software issues, so don't count on more than 250-300 week.
You can walk up to 30 km a day. Very exhausting, especially in the summer heat. Working alone is sometimes boring. They do not reimburse you for gas, as you drive to all your job locations.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Too exhausted to enjoy week evenings
It's not easy work but it's a great environment and is very calming.

I really enjoy working for Olameter. It's like a bunch of hours a day meditating.
merveilleux bonne expériences travaille d équipe j aimrrai avoir autre contrat avec
Loved working outside,, hours were great pay was lousy,, I have been a meter reader for 30 yrs ,and when I left in 2019 I was making the same rate as I was in 1990, management have no idea how to run a company
Do not trust this company
Do not work here

It is going to smart meter , there is no future here

Too bad most monkeys working here do not know thier legal rights

Read this carefully , the utility DOES NOT care about YOU period

They love throwing you under the bus

They will lie and they have learned from Olameter
Worked here for 3 years, became a team lead. Olameter Lost the Gas contract because of poor management. Lied to all of their employees saying they would receive compensation if they stuck it out to the end of the gas contract based on their last 12 weeks of work. Many of the employees in our area put in Alot of overtime and in the end received no compensation. Horrible treatment of loyal employees.
I love the job, great exercise walking from house to house. Harder in the winter but you learn how to dress and wear proper footwear
Your required to use your own vehicle and little, to no money is given to reimburse your expenses.

The wages never go up. In a decade we actually make about 2% less

Management is not approachable and do little to help you.

Very little money is given to pay for foot wear and things your required to have for the job.
Work is super easy once your body gets used to it. It hurts for like 2 months. Had routes take as little as 3 hours(rarely, mostly team leads and favorites get those and if not they pay low end) up to 8+ but it avgs around 6ish once you have done them enough times. It's just getting there that is the hard part. Some routes are pure garbage and chances are you aren't going to get a lot of the good routes.

To be honest, upper management is super incompetent in almost all aspects. They micromanage and complain about everything but yet they do very little work and get paid a lot for it. Then give reasons why they won't give pay increase. This place has a high turn over for a reason and they're one of the main factors at play.

Olameter gave up the gas contract for most of Ontario due to that incompetents and told everyone to hold out to get severance and that it will be based on the last 12 weeks of work (6 pays). Turns out you only get that if you been there for 5 years. They left that last bit out so everyone wouldn't just up and quit on them due to so many people being under that 5-year min.
Poor pay, Mediocre middle management. Terrible upper management..
They treat you like a slave and don't care if you quit. They just go and hire another person without any compassion. After 30 years in the workforce I have never and I mean never seen the turnover of employees anywhere. Most people stay less than 3 months.
This job is great if you love the outdoors and if you want to stay in shape.
You can do this job if you are already reasonably fit. Do not attempt if you have never walked 10 kilometers in a day. The job itself is not stressful but it requires attention to detail because reads need to be accurate and like any job there are rules which need to be followed but they are common sense. The only real danger is dealing with dogs and they do provide training to deal with dogs which is mandatory.
Management is not very employee friendly or accommodating. I was encouraged to be qualified as part-time so the company doesn't have to provide benefits. In general the work was not for me and was a temporary position.
They fostered independent working as that is the nature of the job. I learned a lot about safety in the workplace and how to dress for working outdoors. The regional manager was exceptional and it saddens me that I will no longer be working with him. Workplace culture is that if safety safety safety. The nature of the position puts the workers at risk for injury and Olameter is diligent about educating its workers. The hardest part of the job is working outside when the weather is bad. Either cold, snow, or rain, it's not easy. The easiest part of the job is that you can pretty much make your own schedule and you get to be outside when the weather is nice.
It's an okay place to work. At least it provides a decent income and flexible time. That's the only reason it worked for me. Weather is tough and you are responsible for all of your auto expenses. Think through it carefully. It's physically demanding.
This job does make really great money. I don't think I'll ever have a job that pays this well ever again, HOWEVER, that doesn't mean it's worth keeping.

Firstly, the training I received was minimal and did not prepare me very well... I was even told to "not bother buckling up my seat belt" when driving house-to-house in rural areas, because it'd "take up too much time"... I did not know how to work many buttons on my handheld, I wasn't even properly trained on how to load my routes at the end of the day, so I messed up on that a couple of times, which I think is a super essential thing to teach. Overall, my supervisor is really terrible at doing their job well, but it doesn't matter because they'll only receive a slap on the wrist for it all anyways.

Second, the winter months are awful. I bought a whole new vehicle just so I could drive through the snow with lots of clearance, so this job technically put me in debt rather than paying my bills. Then walking through thigh-high snow for 6 hours a day was exhausting. You're never thanked for a job well done, but instead asked to provide $20-$40 doctors notes each time you're sick because they don't want to trust you, even if you're working your a** off every other day.

I am very excited to find a new job in the future.

This job might be better in areas with less snow and different supervisors.

Also, have fun worrying, "am I going to get attacked by a dog today?" each time you enter a yard/property with any dog on it.
Now I worked two separate jobs with this company so I'll be brief. POLE TESTER - Work alone, drill poles. Now I actually preferred this job to the meter reading honestly. Work outside, making maybe 20$ an hour most days. EXCEPT the equipment is literally garbage and you can't work in the rain. That taken into account I made bad money given the drill broken literally on almost a weekly basis. Since you get paid per pole when the tablet inevitably messes up and the Bluetooth doesn't connect and you have to re-do a pole it's endlessly frustrating.

NOW meter reading. Mind you I've only been at this for 3 weeks but from what I've gathered. The first week is literal pain if you don't walk a ton already. You get paid per meter obviously and get paid more per meter for rural routes at the cost of your own gas and abusing your own vehicle. A good day, you can make lets say 30+ an hour, a bad day probably closer to minimum wage. I don't have my own routes so it's completely random how much you'll make on a weekly basis. The annoying part is "Good" and "bad' days aren't based off of your own performance but on what route you get.

Have an easy route with easily accessible meters in a sunny upscale neighborhood? 30$ an hour. Get 700 meters in the hood with a bunch of dog doodoo, garbage, syringes, barking dogs and locked gates where every meter is in the backyard? there's your 15$ an hour.

I can't really recommend either job because it's VERY inconsistent and stressful. If you're teachers pet and get all the good routes you're probably laughing but I wouldn't count on it.
as a former employee I highly suggest you avoid this place!
For starters you will be doing piece work. Thats .20 cents a meter. If you miss too many you get in trouble. If you dont read enough its trouble. You pay your own gas up to 40 minutes away. 39 mins drive? You pay.

Their contract is up and will not be renewed in owen sound for gas. You only have water.
Pros
You might want to get paid
Cons
Terrible place.
Work by yourself at low peice work rates with no hope of advancing or pay increase. Very little support from management. Could be sent all over southern Ontario. The trend towards automation is reducing work load with no compensation so it is a dieing industry with no future .
Pros
Work outside in all weather +30 to -30 for low pay
Cons
Management does not see the value of the people on front lines. You are expendable to them.