Olameter Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Worst 50 managed companies ever
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Ontario16 April 2018
No raises. Not even cost of living. Walk 100km a week in all weather conditions. Only 2 sick days because the gov't made them. Treat everyone like there expendable yet can't get people. No reward for seniority. Mediocre benefits that are expensive. Constant threats and bullying is management philosophy. You use your own car and cell phone no reimbursement. Just a horrible place to work.
Pros
Cons
Everything else
Terrible pay
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  ON20 March 2018
Piece work rate is not enough, no compensation for drive time under 30 minutes. Honestly if you have a vehicle and a clean criminal record you can do SO much better than reading meters with Olameter. Keep Looking!
I once recommended the job to a younger guy during my first month of work, I regret giving that advice and hope he did not apply.
Two weeks over undet
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON17 March 2018
50 miles walk a week for 310$ minus your own fuel 80-90 week wear and tear and you have a weekly wage of about 200$ take home.They don't want to pay minimum wage so you get 19 cents a house. They want all the money.
Pros
Outdoor work.
Cons
3$ an hour
Horrible
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON23 February 2018
Bad management. If any is around. Horrible conditions for bad pay. Not worth it. And if you want to go on vacation make sure you know by end of February when it is. And if you need a doctors appt. not guaranteed off.
Worst Company Ever
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Ontario9 February 2018
If you ever hope for a raise, this is not the job for you. This is a piece rate job, and they like to play with the numbers. They will give u a raise in one area, and reduce your pay in another. Never giving yourself a true raise. In fact the walking rate is the same rate, meter readers were making 20 years ago. Don't ever expect more then the legal minimum for vacation. No matter how long you have been there, Olameter will only pay the minimum.
There is always the chance of an injury or getting bite by a dog in this type of job. The winter time is worse.
Your required to use your own vehicle for this job. If your lucky the car will be paid for before it dies.
If your considering this for a job, do yourself a favour. Move on to the next one.
Pros
lots of exercise
Cons
injury potential. Terrible pay. Use your own car
Completely unprofessional
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Trail, BC8 January 2018
You have to use your own vehicle for this job so the take home is very small, especially for such an unsafe, high pace job, nobody in the region knows meter readers still exist, and when that bites an empmoyee in the rear, they get thrown under the bus, communication and training were all extremly poor and workloads extemly unbalanced with an unrealistic expectation.
Pros
Loose schedule
Cons
High risk/cost
not a fair hire employer
Gas Meter Reader ( Outdoor work) (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 November 2016
Myself and 2 women forced out by the lead hand
Poor rotation of good routes
Always told it wasnt a job for woman
Constantly reported to managers, but yet male readers never were for the same infractions
Worker on WCB harrassed about return to work
No future for advancement
Gas meters are going digital as well so no future with that company
meter reader/former
meter reader (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 June 2016
Best sabatoging company I ever got slammed from
Best 2 faced employees award
Best corrupt negative company that will through you under the bus to any utility
These companies need to go to school for proper etiquette as they were raised , well not properly .
can be quite stressful at times
Utility Locator (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON11 May 2016
wide work area & a lot of travel time from one work address to the next.. I haven't learned anything I didn't already know, but I am now a certified locator trainer thru the company.. management is average.. coworkers are good bunch of guys.. hardest part of job is locating utilities in difficult areas & work load can be stressful.. completing work load is a nice feeling...
Pros
work on my own
Cons
work on my own & some days long hours
milieu dynamique et actif
Installateur de compteurs de nouvelles générations (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC8 February 2016
un milieu de travail dynamique et productif, dextérité manuelle , meilleur service à la clientèle, installation de qualité
Pros
bonus
Climat de travail agréable
Agent principale en contrôle qualité (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 February 2016
Les conditions de travail sont très avantageuses, une bonne organisation.
entourage et envirenement
électricien (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 January 2016
Ces expériences m’ont permis de développer mon esprit d’analyse, mon efficacité au travail, ma capacité d’adaptation, mon sens des responsabilités et mon autonomie. De plus, j’ai appris de très bonnes aptitudes pour les relations interpersonnelles.
Pros
hôtel, déplacement, repas gratuits
Cons
Assurance maladie
Excellent work envirnment
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON25 November 2015
Excellent work environment. Plenty of time in the open air and many wonderful opportunities to meet new people and see new places.
Pros
Plan own breaks
Cons
A lot of walking
Worst place i ever worked at ..... PERIOD
field technician (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON4 November 2015
The management is very flaky and unable to make proper business oriented decisions. It was very hard to leave a full time time job, and to be promised the world. Was there for 6 months, worked up to 15 days straight .... 13 to 15 hr days .... to be laid off and to have them pull the plug on they're operations. Was very disappointed in the whole experience. I would never recommend anyone go and work for this company.
Pros
......
Cons
everything
bonne entreprise
Technicien/installateur (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 February 2015
parfait pour se faire une expérience comme technicien, cela permet d'acquérir de l'expérience technique tout en travaillant dans un environnement dynamique et motivant
Taken Advantage of
meter reader (Current Employee) –  ontario21 January 2014
18 cents a meter.
Read 800 homes on average EVERYDAY. Day in, day out. and you will make $144/day. Take home = slightly over $100/day
You might say that there are good routes that pay well. There are, and only the 5 year+ experienced readers get those. So, they make a livable income.
If you are newer than 5 years, you get handed the the worst routes no one wants, instead of making the load equal. So newer readers like myself TRY to read 800 homes every day in hopes to make a petty $500/week(IF THAT) and burn yourself in the meantime.
Readers never make more, actually, new sub-contractors like Olameter come in and bid the lowest so the plentiful rich enough utility companies take them. Therefore, there are only ever pay decreases as the higher up management gains more by squeezing readers dry. SO, cost of living goes up, meter readers pay, goes down.
Also, no holidays, or time off in your first year, which is baffling as readers need to rest. Very inconsiderate. After a year you get 2 weeks holiday which you have paid for through deductions every paycheck.
Olameter is very generous when is comes to covering cost for shoes though. Since readers need very good footwear, and wear through shoes in months. They graciously give each employee a 15 dollar voucher for shoes per year. I know what you're thinking...WOW! But it gets better. Those are only for shoes that are "Tarantula Grip" anti-slip for the winter months...that actually make NO difference, and are exponentially uncomfortable.
Management does not explain what constitutes the different pay rates for the distance
  more... of reads. Usually, they are a cheaper rate than what they should be and readers get in trouble for changing them appropriately. So taking advantage of readers is a very acceptable practice for Olameter. Considering what the meter reading fee is on your bill, the utility companys must be laughing all the way to the bank and how much they make off us, including Olameter.  less
Great Job
Metering Technician, Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON16 September 2013
I made more money at this job than any other I've had.
You need to be physically fit and have a positive attitude. Piece work is not for everyone, but if you are a hard worker, you will reap the rewards.
Tiring, and a bit hard on the body, but over all a great experience.
A great experience.
Project Manager/Installer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 August 2013
The day to day operations changed depending on which position I was in. Having been at Olameter for almost 5 years I was able to see many of the different aspects of the company. All of which were enjoyable and satisfying. At the end of the day you could easily see the work you had done. Either by tracking you walking routes, looking down at your installations tracking sheets, or looking through production reports. In my opinion this visual helped to keep spirits high when you had a rough day, which was few and far between. Honestly a great place to work, and great people to work with.
Pros
Good pay, good atmosphere, usually working at your own pace.
Cons
Occasional overtime, long days, and grumpy customers.
The pay is great if you work hard
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 July 2013
Management often springs pay changes on you then demands you sign a new contract.
Outstanding Company
Electric Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB4 March 2013
Without a doubt, one of the best jobs I have ever had.

When first interbiewed/hired, my supervisor said I would be lucky to break even at the end of two months. By four months I should start to see a bit of profit and by six months, begin to see some real income.

This job was piece work - the more you did, the more you got paid. By the end of the six month mark, I was grossing about $60,000 a year and I was able to regularly take an extra day off to volunteer with an outdoor youth group.

What was supposed to take 4 hours to complete, I would accuratley do in about 2 1/2.

The job was outside and in all kinds of weather (sometimes extreme), but I was able to organize my work accordingly to reduce the environmental impacts I had to face.
Pros
able to set own hours (within reason)

Comment – 25 May 2013

This former employee doesn't say why he/she is no longer employed with them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Olameter. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8