Olameter Employee Reviews

You get paid what you're worth
Meyer reader (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB19 April 2019
I've heard a lot of complaining from people who don't seem to understand the term, 'piece work'. If you don't take the time to make your routes efficient, you won't make money. Stop blaming the conpany.
When I started, I barely made $100 a day, but I got a second job to help me through, and I stuck with it, and learned, and got great at it. Best job I've ever had. An average day, I made $300. $400 was common. I've had $500 and $600 days, taking advantage of bonuses they'd throw in to help in other regions, where the readers were falling behind.
I miss it terribly, but unfortunately, they no longer operate in Alberta. Come baaaack!
Pros
Money, set your own hours, work alone
Cons
Weather; hard on vehicle
do NOT work here
meter reader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2019
they will tell you how many people end up quitting, and you tell yourself you will not be that person, and than you will quit, lie about how many people have been there for awhile and make 85k+ a year
Bad job
meter reader (Former Employee) –  Southern Ontario15 December 2018
spent about 30 years in the contract metering business Olameter was the worst , they quote $16 per hour, they forget to tell you about the fact it will cost you about $ 3 per hour in car expense & no guarantee you'll get 8 hours in day.In Ontario you'll make more at minimum wage.. And no matter how many hours you work no O.T or Benefits & bosses will throw you under the bus to save their butt. If you want to make a living look else where.
Pros
Cons
everything
great self working thats about it.
Meter reader (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 December 2018
Pay is low, managment is lousy and will discriminate against employees, and does not pay for any vehicle expenses. Posititves if you get your work done you can have lots off free time, make your own hours and no boss breathing over your back.
This company is the worst!
Meter monkey (Former Employee) –  Ontario2 October 2018
They still don’t realize that everyone is quitting because of the pathetic excuse for management and HR that treats the workforce like replaceable garbage. The job was not great before Upper management was changed earlier this year, but is now the worst it has ever been.
Employees here have no rights, and are taken advantage of at every turn. Even payroll will screw you over and refuse to even respond to you.
Most unprofessional company ever. Upper management is nothing but LITTLE bullies with small dog syndrome.
This has gone from a good job, to one of those “fake” constantly hiring in the paper everyday jobs.

STEER CLEAR!!
Pros
they don’t exist any more since the draconian changes to our duties and pay
Cons
Everything, including Getting attacked by dogs and management at the same time
Worst Company, I’ve ever worked for.
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON1 October 2018
Never & I mean never take a job from Olameter. Not only will you find out, they don’t Care about their employee. They also think it’s okay, to have you beat on your own personal car. Which if you ask me, company’s should be supplying them. But anyways they weren’t even paying me minimum wage. Most routes “ they said would take 6 hrs”. Would take a lot longer. Due to poor routes layouts, most routes you need to drive, they barely pay you enough for that. “They say you get a driving fee” But it’s BS I got paid the same for walking as I did driving my car. Anyways, do yourself a favour, don’t bother with this company. Even if you bust you’r butt off for them, they have no respect.
Anyways all, have a good one.
Pros
Cons
Winter aren’t that great, they don’t pay winter pay also, routes take twice as long, work in every weather company has no care for safety
Enjoyed working except with whiners
Collections Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON19 September 2018
Flexible hours, great managers and most of the staff are really nice, friendly and helpful. I learned a lot working at Olameter because of the different projects that our customer provides us.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Location is far from where I live
Physically demanding work with very low pay.
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON15 September 2018
Piece work(.21 cents/meter). So 20 or 25 dollars an hour isn't guaranteed. Even if you do make that much, it's usually based on around 5 hours a day max. If you dont work you dont get paid and there isnt that much work to go around.Company forces health benefits on you even if you don't want them. They cost around 35 dollars a week which is deducted from your pay. Local management is fine, but regional management is clueless and only shows up once in a awhile when something is wrong. The only positive things about this job are the short hours you work, gives you plenty of free time, and lots of exercise and sunshine. Wouldn't be a bad job for a student or someone with another part time job. Also technology is taking these meter reading jobs away in the close future. Radio frequency and satellite are taking over. It's already happened to the people who used to read hydro/ water meters.
Pros
Exercise, short hours
Cons
Pay isnt that great you max out around 35k per year
What a joke, dont be fooled
Reader (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 August 2018
This employer doesnt care about their employees. They will grind you into the ground for very little pay. No reimbursement for using your own phone and car. Dont be fooled by claims of $25/hr,its all lies to try to hook new people. If it was a good job, they wouldnt be looking for new people all the time. Turn over is high, be prepared to get screwed over every chance they can. Save yourself the aggravation and apply at tim hortons, you ll make more and be happier
Pros
Cons
Waking 100 kms a week for $300
Don"t work here.
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Ontario13 August 2018
The only reason you should work here is if you don't like yourself. You will never get a raise, in fact they will only take money away. There is no future with this company. Plan on killing your vehicle and getting little in return as pay goes. Do yourself a favor go work anywhere but here. Can't believe that I stayed as long as I did.
Cons
No money
Hard work that pays well.
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Ontario6 August 2018
A typical day is walking 20-30 km. Lots of freedom to work your routes how you want to. Management is good and provides you with extra work when it becomes available. Its a hard job in the winter months but is very rewarding financially and for work life balance during the rest of the year.
works decent
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON31 July 2018
the job is alright but the pay isnt very good especially because you need to drive around and abuse your vehicle. unless they start to pay more it isnt really worth doing. the hours are great but thats about it.
Get fit, get paid
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC1 July 2018
If you like to be active, be outdoors and you want to get in shape this is a great job. The pay depends on how you performn your job but it isn't hard to make $35/hr. There are routes that are better than others and they are distributed evenly so everyone gets there chance to have some $50/hr days. Overall only negative is the weather. Rain or shine or snow or sleet you are out there walking.
Pros
Freedom, flexibility
Cons
Weather
Worst company to work for
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON27 June 2018
I have worked for Olameter for a year now and I can say it is the worst company I have worked for ever. They do not care for their employees and use a garbage pay system just so they don't have to pay their employees minimum wage. I have worked with people who have been there for 15 years and still make the same amount of money as a person who started that day. Do yourself a favour and DO NOT take this job.
Pros
Cons
Use your own car. Long days wether rain, snow, hail or extreme heat.
Lots of Potential - Horrible Management
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Mission, BC11 June 2018
The personal freedom and pay associated with Meter Reading is excellent, however management cares very little for their employees given the high rate of turnover. There is a lot of apathy towards fair treatment of workers.
Good workplace
Locator (Former Employee) –  Arorua29 May 2018
Not a bad place to work , work day is anywhere fron 8 to 10 hours a day....management was good ....there wasn't a day that I can remember that was a hard day
Pros
supply a vehicle
Cons
no benefits
Okay company
GIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON22 May 2018
Lack of proper management caused an entire department to shut down and everyone laid off.
Pay is on the lower side. Very limited vacation allowance.
Decent and friendly job environment.
Pros
Flexible hours. Friendly environment
great job but no opportunity to advance
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON22 May 2018
typical day of work includes reading residential, urban and rural gas meters. must work in all weather conditions. no raises were given to us in the 7 years that i was employed
Pros
make your own hours
Cons
doesn't pay well, no opportunity to advance
Hard work pays off
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  British Columbia19 May 2018
When I think about ALL of the other jobs I could be doing, none hold a candle to the benefits of this job. Its not perfect, but if you like making money, having flexible hours, good management, and essentially getting paid to be active, this is a GREAT job.
Pros
Minimal supervision, flexible hours, $$$incentives
Cons
NONE ( unless you are a born complainer )
Overall, great pay and honest work
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC17 May 2018
I have been working for Olameter for just over 5 years now, during this time I have found it to be a good company to work for. If you are ambitious, a self motivator and prefer to not have the boss watching over your every move, this is a great place to work, The work allows for a degree of flexibility which is really appreciated, The pay is quite good and there is plenty of variety in the work day to keep the time flying. I find the management to be accommodating with requests for time off and holidays and they openly listen to any concerns or comments that you may make. The job itself isn't difficult but it does require you to be alert and aware of everything going on around you at all times, you're not just reading the meter but also ensuring the safety of the gas flow to customers as well as your own safety in an ever changing environment.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the variety of work locations, the interaction with the customers and the freedom to go in early to finish early if you want.....
Pros
Pay- average of $30-$40 p/h, working hours, flexibility, degree of freedom
Cons
Bad weather, Bad traffic

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Olameter. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9