Okanagan Indian Band

Okanagan Indian Band Employee Reviews

Canada12 reviews

Okanagan Indian Band Employment

I enjoy interacting with visitors, clients, the staff of the different departments plus some companies in the Vernon area who provide services to the Okanagan Indian Band.

Pros

Close to where I live.

Cons

Not enough hours for On-call receptionists.

Team atmosphere, goal oriented, able to make a difference in the clients I support. Enjoy my colleagues and they always have great coffee brewing and treats.

Insights into Okanagan Indian Band

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility

A Great place to work if you enjoy a high tempo challenging and rewarding workplace

OKIB is a place where hard work and ambition will be rewarded with increased responsibility and opportunity. The Syilx Okanagan people are great to work with. OKIB has a good benefit plan with pension and extra stat holidays.

Pros

Always experiencing and learning new things

Best place to work!

I really enjoy working here! I work with a wonderful, supportive team in a culturally rich environment. OKIB really supports their staff and recognizes hard work with an awesome employee recognition program and professional development opportunities.

Pros

Positive work environment, supportive team, excellent benefit package & professional development opportunities

Dont go there.

A very poor management culture, alot of people not doing there job and pointing fingers at others, toxic work environment. Alot of taxpayer dollarsgetting spent. Not much happening that is forwarding the cause.

Cons

Children that dont want to co-operate with others

Do not apply

Management has favorites and if your not one of them, you get bullied and treated terrible. Wage is terrible, there is no appreciation for their employees and you are just another number. Only good thing was the community members

Pros

Community members

Cons

It was wonderful supporting the elders in their homes to live their lifes comfortably.

I was so excited when I got the job offer to work at okib as a careaide. I really enjoyed getting to know the elders and helping them stay in their homes. Everyone was so welcoming in the community. Wish I could say the same for the careaide team at okib.

Pros

supporting the elders, getting to know the community, learning some really good swimming spots

Cons

not being welcomed by the careaide support team, really low wages, no respect

Do not waste your time...

There is zero accountability with this organization, and I use the term organization loosely. Unless you are a band member with ties to the other families, you are a nobody. Safety is secondary, and the band favours their own members over someone who could do the job properly. I would never.....EVER waste my time dealing with the OKIB again. Stay away...run.

Meaningful work in a fun atmosphere

Overall a great place to work. My typical day included responding to emails and presenting information to Chief and Council for decisions related to land development and protection.

Great job to get experience and learn

This is actually the Tribal Council - Okanagan Nation Alliance, which does fisheries and wildlife work in a vast area. They have a large team of qualified biologists that do diverse work throughout the Okanagan and Kootenays. There is lot of independence and self starters will thrive. Salary tends to be a little below normal but there aren't many fisheries jobs where you get to live in a city in the Okanagan. Staff are friendly and inclusive. Lots of opportunity to participate in cultural events and ceremonies.

Pros

Diverse challenges and projects

Cons

Not really any

never do it again

as a band member I expected more from leadership. Okanagan Indian Band is a closed community and I had expected more support for band members. Management did not understand the culture of First Nations and were not willing to look at traditional conflict resolution practice

Pros

Community connection

Cons

No cultural safety practice

Tough nut to crack

There are great people, some amazing employees to work with. Everyone is overworked and underpaid, however. The political climate is intense, and the direction is scattered and usually unrealistic. Don't expect a long term position, but if you can handle the pressure and are ok with a 2 year term then the community members make it worth it.

Pros

Politics

Cons

Lack of recognition

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Okanagan Indian Band. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement