Okanagan College

Okanagan College Employee Reviews for Instructor

Instructor12 reviews
Canada12 reviews

collegestudentplacegreattimegoodjobwork

Great place to work with a slow rise to full time career.

Okanagan College is a great place to get into the teaching world. However as a part time instructor your rise to a full time career will be long, so don’t expect a quick transition. That being said the juice is worth the squeeze if you can stick it out. Pay is fair, benefits are great, work life balance is unmatched, culture is great, coworkers are great, the facilities are getting better every year, ect ect ect.

Pros

Unmatched work/life balance.

Cons

Unpaid coffee breaks and lunches.

Poor Culture and Poor Treatment of Staff

By far the worst work experience I have had. The company will take advantage of you until you learn that they do not care about the employees. The culture is broken, and they do not care to change it. Only the students suffer from this as qualified instructors leave.

Insights into Okanagan College

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging

Lack of management direction and oversight

Upon being hired, I was excited to work as an instructor, disappointed to learn that there is no orientation for new employees, at all. not even direction on where the bathrooms are. You are left on your own to figure everything, I mean everything out. Might as well just say "here's 15 people in an empty room go teach them something" No idea where to ask for help, gather supplies, find resources, NOTHING!The work culture is difficult, open hostility and bullying amongst instructors and no management structure is in place to deter this.Expectations that you work for free in your spare time to develop learning materials and exams.Found this a dysfunctional workplace, that I so much wanted to enjoy, but filled with frustrations and heartaches.

Pros

Union collective agreement, wages, benifits (if you can ever qualify)

Cons

lack of direction and oversight from management

Great team based collaboration

Positive teams and work environment in the nursing faculty. Welcoming orientation to all faculty at the college. Supportive management. Peers were also engaging and positive

Excellent College ti work for

Okanagan college offers a wide variety of career opportunities Not only was I a student with the certified dental assistant program but advanced my education as a dental instructor

Excellent place to work

Okanagan College is good at getting the best person for the job. The staff are very skilled and professional and make it a great place to work. This likely varies from campus to campus but for the most part, OC is a great employer.

Great Pay, but a bit scattered

Okanagan College has great pay and a fantastic benefits package. It would be great if the contract instructors had a more regular and consistent schedule.

great employer

good work place, love the people. Love the atmosphere, the locations are dynamite and the facilities are top notch. I would a fulltime position as a instructor

Na

Great place to work. I had an exceptional team of individuals that supported the program and made it possible. It was always a joy to come to work at Okanagan College

Good students, terrible management.

The whole goal of OC seems to be to have 100% of instructors as sessional employees who have to apply for their own job every 4-8 months, with no benefits, or hope for the future. Offices are ridiculous, parking is a goat-show, and admin is no help whatsoever. Students are awesome though, and it is fun to instruct there.

Positive working environment.

Great place to work, Living a dream teaching young passionate culinary students. I really enjoyed sharing my experiences and giving back as an alumni.

Pros

Lots of engagement with students

Cons

Long drive into town

There are better teaching opportunities with other colleges.

I did not have a good experience working at OC (Penticton). My dept was not at all collegial and the dept head unwelcoming and unhelpful. The coordinator was detached. For the most part, I felt very excluded. There was an unfortunate problem with unprofessional behaviour, as well - some dept members negatively discussed each other, also sometimes with students. In general, there was a poor working atmosphere within my dept. Support staff were great - very helpful and friendly. Salary and benefits are weak - comparable institutions pay better and are more professional.

Pros

Great support staff, buildings are very functional & well maintained, I enjoyed working with adult students.

Cons

Salary is below industry average; lacks in collegiality, cooperation & support.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Okanagan College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement