Okanagan College

Working at Okanagan College: Latest Okanagan College Reviews

Canada57 reviews

collegestudentplacegreattimegoodjobwork

Productive and flexible work environment

Hours are flexible and a typical day is always productive and stress free.Great office distribution and equipment. Well prepared project management steers team towards priorities and goals, meaning quick and meaningful meetings.Learning is an ongoing thing as we deal with so many technologies/stacks.

Pros

Flexibility, safe and friendly environment, short productive meetings.

Cons

Pay slightly lower than average.

Poor Culture and Poor Treatment of Staff

By far the worst work experience I have had. The company will take advantage of you until you learn that they do not care about the employees. The culture is broken, and they do not care to change it. Only the students suffer from this as qualified instructors leave.

Insights into Okanagan College

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging

Great place to work with a slow rise to full time career.

Okanagan College is a great place to get into the teaching world. However as a part time instructor your rise to a full time career will be long, so don’t expect a quick transition. That being said the juice is worth the squeeze if you can stick it out. Pay is fair, benefits are great, work life balance is unmatched, culture is great, coworkers are great, the facilities are getting better every year, ect ect ect.

Pros

Unmatched work/life balance.

Cons

Unpaid coffee breaks and lunches.

Not a happy place

Stressful, overworked, and parking is a nightmare. Coworkers are awful gossips and mean.No one can be fired as it is a union.Finance has a high turn overGood luck!

Pros

Paid professional development

Cons

Stressful and awful place to work

Lack of management direction and oversight

Upon being hired, I was excited to work as an instructor, disappointed to learn that there is no orientation for new employees, at all. not even direction on where the bathrooms are. You are left on your own to figure everything, I mean everything out. Might as well just say "here's 15 people in an empty room go teach them something" No idea where to ask for help, gather supplies, find resources, NOTHING!The work culture is difficult, open hostility and bullying amongst instructors and no management structure is in place to deter this.Expectations that you work for free in your spare time to develop learning materials and exams.Found this a dysfunctional workplace, that I so much wanted to enjoy, but filled with frustrations and heartaches.

Pros

Union collective agreement, wages, benifits (if you can ever qualify)

Cons

lack of direction and oversight from management

Productive and Fun place to work

It has relaxed atmosphere with good collaboration from collegues and managers. Okanagan College is a very nice place to work. It has recreation facilities one can use.

The focus on the students and service to them.

The focus on the students and service to them. We worked very collaboratively as a department across four campuses in the Okanagan Region, and there was a significant amount of support, especially for new faculty members!

Best Student Job

When I was a student at OC I worked in the gym/for athletics and Rec department. It was amazing. The absolute best student job one could ask for. Highly recommend.

Pros

Great work environment and work-life balance

Cons

Excellent Place to work at,with very good staff. very helpful colligues. level of work was not stressful.learned a lot from this job.I am going to appreciate my time at Okanagan college for life.,

Great team based collaboration

Positive teams and work environment in the nursing faculty. Welcoming orientation to all faculty at the college. Supportive management. Peers were also engaging and positive

Educations

they have a large range of Courses for everyone. highly suggest as it is a fun environment and friendly faces. a huge library and also a wide section of cafeteria food

Excellent College ti work for

Okanagan college offers a wide variety of career opportunities Not only was I a student with the certified dental assistant program but advanced my education as a dental instructor

Relaxed work type

Great environment, work from home and just have a good time. There wasn't a lot of money to be had, but there was not a lot of work to be had either. So they balance out.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Work when travelling

Excellent place to work

Okanagan College is good at getting the best person for the job. The staff are very skilled and professional and make it a great place to work. This likely varies from campus to campus but for the most part, OC is a great employer.

Residence Advisor at Student Housing - A great position to have while studying

Residence advisors (RA) at Okanagan College student housing are responsible for looking after the building outside of general office hours, supporting fellow students with housing, academic, social and other needs, and planning student events for student residents. This is a fun-filled position to have while studying and a great way to build skills for your resume. Although majority of the time, RAs have an easy job, they need to be ready to address any situation. Maintaining confientiallity is highly expected in this position. Extrovertion, assertiveness, and teamwork are all attributes which are used as an RA. Although not the most rewarding financially, RAs at Okanagan College are compensated with housing, parking, and other benefits. This is also a fantastic position in which to meet new people and develop life-long friendships. Highly recommend.

Fun work environment with on site cafeteria

Arrival at 8:30 am, departure at 3:30 pm. Workplace was controlled and some instructors were better and clearly more experienced than others. Was volunteer work, so there was no pay.

Fantastic place to work

Everyone I have met here is always ready to help. They are friendly and welcoming. They value work life balance. The benefits are amazing and the management are also great to work for.

Workplace culture

Limited opportunities across various departments. Sick leave individuals given too long before position is posted. Minimal training. Sink or swim. Would like to see more term job share opportunities.

great environment, fun place to study or work

Staffs were exceptional friendly and helpful Parking was usually busy but won't be an issue if you arrive a little early. Campus was clean and well kept Bus system was great, sorry no train Were lots of events in and out doors with free food :) My friend was a student worked part time at the GYM, minimum wage, but it was an easy job which is suitable for students busy doing homework, for hours of sitting, the only actual work involved was 30 mins cleaning facilities at closing. Always been fully applied though. I was an ESL & Engineering student, workshop was big, clean, just enough machines to work, sometimes share with others. English classes were fun and will guarantee to improve your confidence Integrity here was a priority, so DON'T TREAT :) ------------- Study review: If you're an international student, You'll really enjoy studying in here like I did. Student Service building is the best place to chill, 2 ping pong tables, 3 microwaves, 2 vending machines and lots of nationalities to make friends and I am sure you'll feel like at home. 3 stories warm quiet library with mountainous view to study or ask for help Enjoy your time here! _Ex international student from VN_

Pros

friendly, clean, fun, ping pong, lots of events

Cons

N/a :d

Amazing professors

I loved going to this college, it was a great experience, and I would definitely go back. I was able to upgrade and take the HCA course and find work after I was done. I still have a few more courses to finish, One day, ill go back.

Pros

free lunches, water botlles

Cons

failed lab because of time

Great Pay, but a bit scattered

Okanagan College has great pay and a fantastic benefits package. It would be great if the contract instructors had a more regular and consistent schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Okanagan College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement