Okanagan College
View all Okanagan College reviews

Okanagan College

Okanagan College Employee Review

Productive and flexible work environment

Hours are flexible and a typical day is always productive and stress free.Great office distribution and equipment. Well prepared project management steers team towards priorities and goals, meaning quick and meaningful meetings.Learning is an ongoing thing as we deal with so many technologies/stacks.

Pros

Flexibility, safe and friendly environment, short productive meetings.

Cons

Pay slightly lower than average.

4.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Same location

Lack of Management direction and training

The busy co-workers are expected to take time out of their busy day to train so I did a lot of reading of union contacts in the first 3 weeks. 2 months in, I was given a list of items that I should be trained on with no schedule for training. The standard Operating Procedures were out of date so some didn't apply anymore but the valid ones were a big help.The manager asks if they can help you with learning but how do you know how they can help when neither of you know the whole job yet? I had more training in my last month than the first 4 when they found 2 of the staff were leaving to different departments. At the end of my last day, I was told I did not successfully complete the 6 month probation and I was done. I know not all the departments will be the same and most Managers have been there a while. I just ended up in one of the lacking situations.The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. Most were very friendly and supportive.

Poor Culture and Poor Treatment of Staff

By far the worst work experience I have had. The company will take advantage of you until you learn that they do not care about the employees. The culture is broken, and they do not care to change it. Only the students suffer from this as qualified instructors leave.
Same location

Great place to work with a slow rise to full time career.

Okanagan College is a great place to get into the teaching world. However as a part time instructor your rise to a full time career will be long, so don’t expect a quick transition. That being said the juice is worth the squeeze if you can stick it out. Pay is fair, benefits are great, work life balance is unmatched, culture is great, coworkers are great, the facilities are getting better every year, ect ect ect.

Pros

Unmatched work/life balance.

Cons

Unpaid coffee breaks and lunches.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Okanagan College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Okanagan College with

• Okanagan College
  • Productive and flexible work environment