Okanagan College
View all Okanagan College reviews

Okanagan College

Okanagan College Employee Review

Poor Culture and Poor Treatment of Staff

By far the worst work experience I have had. The company will take advantage of you until you learn that they do not care about the employees. The culture is broken, and they do not care to change it. Only the students suffer from this as qualified instructors leave.

1.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Same roleSame location

Great place to work with a slow rise to full time career.

Okanagan College is a great place to get into the teaching world. However as a part time instructor your rise to a full time career will be long, so don’t expect a quick transition. That being said the juice is worth the squeeze if you can stick it out. Pay is fair, benefits are great, work life balance is unmatched, culture is great, coworkers are great, the facilities are getting better every year, ect ect ect.

Pros

Unmatched work/life balance.

Cons

Unpaid coffee breaks and lunches.
Same role

Lack of management direction and oversight

Upon being hired, I was excited to work as an instructor, disappointed to learn that there is no orientation for new employees, at all. not even direction on where the bathrooms are. You are left on your own to figure everything, I mean everything out. Might as well just say "here's 15 people in an empty room go teach them something" No idea where to ask for help, gather supplies, find resources, NOTHING!The work culture is difficult, open hostility and bullying amongst instructors and no management structure is in place to deter this.Expectations that you work for free in your spare time to develop learning materials and exams.Found this a dysfunctional workplace, that I so much wanted to enjoy, but filled with frustrations and heartaches.

Pros

Union collective agreement, wages, benifits (if you can ever qualify)

Cons

lack of direction and oversight from management
Same location

Lack of Management direction and training

The busy co-workers are expected to take time out of their busy day to train so I did a lot of reading of union contacts in the first 3 weeks. 2 months in, I was given a list of items that I should be trained on with no schedule for training. The standard Operating Procedures were out of date so some didn't apply anymore but the valid ones were a big help.The manager asks if they can help you with learning but how do you know how they can help when neither of you know the whole job yet? I had more training in my last month than the first 4 when they found 2 of the staff were leaving to different departments. At the end of my last day, I was told I did not successfully complete the 6 month probation and I was done. I know not all the departments will be the same and most Managers have been there a while. I just ended up in one of the lacking situations.The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. Most were very friendly and supportive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Okanagan College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement