Ogilvy & Mather

Ogilvy & Mather Employee Reviews

Canada28 reviews
Working at Ogilvy was my first real taste of working a large scale ad agency, and I am so grateful for the lessons and experience I gained working with such a talented organization of creatives and account staff.
Totally disorganized and absent management so you sit around for hours with zero to do then are expected to work 10-12 hours toward the end of the day no work/life boundaries keep your free ice cream don’t expect me to answer messages at 3am
Pros
Nice office
Cons
No work/life balance
There are too many things that bothered me to list them all here. But to name a few: most of the people there are very self-important, all decisions are made with little to no regard for your person and/or how possible it is to do. It is not very well organized as a whole.
Pros
The immediate boss really really wants a sens of camaraderie in the group
Cons
Most of the people are superficial
It was a good experience, I learned a lot, but the work is very demanding, and makes you work several extra hours without extra payment.
You get to know very nice people, and just the name of the company opens many other company's doors.
I learned how to work together to create results. The workplace culture was great. The hardest part was getting ahead. The most enjoyable part was working together.
O&M Canada promoted an atmosphere of excellence, professionalism and fun. Employees received bonuses, gifts, celebrations and opportunities to interact with others throughout the agency fostering team work and a sense of belonging.
I learned the particular processes and theories of advertising developed by legendary ad man David Ogilvy.

Management was fair, respectful and supportive of employees' ambitions.

The hardest part of the job was its long hours. The best part of the job was working with smart professionals who took their jobs seriously, and had fun doing it.
Pros
Excellence rewarded generously
Cons
Creatives had even more fun than the rest of us
The open concept office and incredible team at Ogilvy made every day an opportunity to learn and participate in a multitude of different client projects.
Pros
Free beer every friday
Cons
Tight deadlines
There is no better ad agency. It truly is a "teaching hospital". Everything I learned there from my first "go around" only made me a more valued employee at other agencies. Loved it there.
Ogilvy has so much potential, but unfortunately, they do not care about their people or culture. You are a number and that is it. No time to onboard correctly
Pros
competitive salary
Cons
terrible culture
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Ogilvy & Mather?
Joining an advertising company in IT capacity role was all round experience. During this time I grew my career while being part of one of the most dynamic and non-technical inovative companies.
Your day will be full of meetings, so you end up staying late to get your actual work done. Because you are constantly in meetings with numerous people in the agency, you get a lot of exposure to senior management which gives you the opportunity to really shine and show off your knowledge and skills. Late nights at the office generally mean you lack a social life, but there are a lot of internal office events that take place, so you do get to socialize with other teams, and folks you normally would never speak to on a daily basis. If you have a family (kids specifically), it will be really hard to see them every night!
Pros
Exposure to senior management
Cons
Packed with passionate people with a keen eye for creative and smarts that makes you think that it couldn't get better and then, it does. A surreal experience. Not for the weak minded.
Pros
Lots of creative inspiration
Cons
Creative director
Des journées bien remplis, du travail professionnel, une bonne collaboration, un patron très professionnel et à toujours nous faire avancé dans le développement de nos tâches.
Pros
confiance en nos capacité
Cons
ne pas avoir pus etre relocalisé apres une fusion
A fast paced enviromnment with plenty to do each and every day.
From long drawn out projects to jobs needed urgently, this is the place to process the work quickly. Good systems in place.
Pros
Time off between Christmas and New Year
Cons
Long hours with no overtime paid. Not big on giving increases either.
D'excellents collaborateurs, un environnement stimulant et une expérience exceptionnelle.
Very luxurious. I have learned table settings and many uses for different tableware. Overall great company.
Co-workers became my friends and we never had conflicts.

I'd like to work in a similar boutique sometime.
I was on a 2 yr contract assigned to a special project.
Gained a great understanding of the Marketing field and what it takes to get a product from IDEA into the CUSTOMERS HAND

Very exciting organization with a strong drive to succeed

Innovative idea generators with a keen sense of what the mass market requires
Pros
Great, inspiring group of people to work along side with
Cons
2 yr contract
Fun place to work, very fast energy environment, did lots of layout creative ideas, commercial story boards, working side by side with the Art Director. Did some commerial shoots, casting actors and actress. Pre Production meeting learning everything about campaigns.
Pros
Fun Place
Cons
Didn't get paid
A typical day at work was when we had to enter all the data from a very large war-room into an on-going database. I learned to scan the important fields of the documents which were about150,000 or so- of course not on the first day. We managed the database by inputting the salient pertinent qualities like dates, description, invoice number, memos from and to, etc. We were four of us seized with project and we agreed in a friendly manner that after every 1.5 hours to 2 hours, one of us would call the data from the entered sheets so that the others could ensure it was correct. The hardest part of the job was getting the database finished and revised and edited well in advance of when it was required. And summarizing the descriptions of paper which consisted of the data. Good naturedly we agreed on the best way to delegate to each other with mutual respect, worked as a team and enjoyed the whole project immensely. We have been been fortunate - though not all of us together - to work again together and I welcome working with my colleagues and peers everyday.
Pros
if we worked late sandwiches were provided.
Cons
the cons was good experience leared and gained from counsel. So it was a plus for all of us.
Ogilvy is a very stimulating place to work if you like to preform multiple tasks, high pressure, daily deadlines and feel a sense of urgency related to work flow. Feeling satisfied at the end of a work day is a common feeling. I have learned many different types of skills and functions.

The hardest part of the job is keeping a professional point of view to managements sometimes unrealistic demands and expectations....
− Lead a team of two project coordinators, three graphic designers, and a copywriter through two successful national advertising campaigns worth $981,000 and $1.3 million respectively.
− Conceived and managed a $1.3 million nation-wide advertising campaign, resulting in increased brand awareness for client`s flagship product.

− Supervised the development and implementation of a customer relationship management (CRM) software that revamped the client`s operations of its Eastern Canadian retail distribution channels.