OERLIKON Employee Reviews

Actively looking, time to abandon ship!
Production Leader (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 August 2017
Oerlikon used to be a good place to work, however, over the last 5 month or so production is being told to work 12hr days and a day on the weekend.

They are also in the process of laying people off, most with out any notice and the bare minimum package they have to offer. This despite the effort everyone WAS putting in to try to make the company great again. Now it seems most people are here just waiting for a package or another opportunity.

With the continues loss of business to our competition, who unlike Oerlikon, has continued to innovate and is now further ahead of us In terms of technology and customer service. Management responses to the threat by simply demanding workers work harder and more hours ...... the product of an ineffective SMT.

To top off the issues with this company, Oerlikon is a very small company in Canada (less then 18 ppl) so with a small flat org there is no room to advance. So I am basicly working not to get fired....

I have started looking for new employment and I would recommend that people read all the reviews before accepting a position here. These issues seem to be a cultural issue not just a guelph issue.
Pros
Solid starting pay for the area
Cons
No work life balance, Poor managment, No promotion opportunities.
Poor Working Environment
Worker (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON26 June 2017
Very little to like about this place, it’s a very two tier employer, if they like you, you get free lunches and preferential treatment, if they don’t like you then they come up with way to make your life hard (probably a result of a very inexperienced, foreign management team….). They have a team that was sent in from the USA to “clean up Guelph” and instead told everyone we couldn’t take vacation and they didn’t have to pay us out for the vacation we weren’t allowed to take.

Management will hire all their friends and give them the positions they want, even if it means that someone who was doing the position before needs to be moved….

The management team seems to have been assembled more based on cost then on skill set, something that comes up a lot with Oerlikon
Pros
Cons
Long hours, Management favoritism, Inexperienced managment
Nice Place
Coating Technician (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON25 January 2017
Clean facility and approachable management. The people working there are quite friendly and the work has a comforting amount of safety protocols. Enjoyed my time there.
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 November 2016
I was there for a year . Than laid off

Lots of Managers but no customers. Not enough business.

Managers and engineers all over the place to fix problems.

To bad for me it was a nice place to work.
Pros
Very clean place
Cons
Foreign owned, Hard to get in with to many tests.
Recently left
tech (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 August 2016
Horrible mismanagement of resources. Most people at the place have no real experience in what they're doing. New employees starting at higher wages than older experienced ones. Lots of politics.
Pros
decent starting rate
Cons
no raises