Oceans Fresh Food Market Employee Reviews

Strict managers, Negative Atmosphere, and Feeling Unappreciated
Cashier / Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 April 2019
The training was minimal so we had to quickly learn to work by ourselves (only 3 days of training). We had to learn to memorize and apply these product look-up codes and do so while checking out the customer's groceries. The problem was that our managers and some of our co-workers and customers were not very understanding and were quick to criticize mistakes that we made. I felt like quitting after the first day because it was so emotionally exhausting. The managers were very strict about us following the rules and I was scolded for trying to help someone because I left my counter. After a while, I got used to it and time began to quickly pass by. I enjoyed talking with some of my co-workers and we quickly became friends. However, I quit after my manager scolded me on my work ethics because I was tired of all the criticisms and I felt unappreciated.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
Long hours, no control over time schedule, strict managers, minimal training
work place is so peaceful
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 August 2018
It is so busy place but I interact with different people and learnt new things daily basis. Management is so co operative and always gave feedback. Flexible shifts.
Pros
Co operative staff
good summary
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 August 2018
enjoyable job but need to be care ful of people coming
very rude customers are there who coes for shopping, not well ebhaved with cashier so its bit difficult , poor management if cash miss show no proof
Pros
no tax
Cons
longhours
Fun workplace
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 March 2018
Oceans was a new experience of culture, I was able to adapt well with the environment and learned quick. I learned a lot about food prep and sanitation, also learned a new language
Very stressful.
DELI DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 September 2017
My experience at this work place was not very pleasant.
I was constantly judged because of my race, not being the same as the others. The bosses and fellow managers made no effort to communicate with me because I spoke English, and they did not, yet there were translators available.
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything.
Not good place.
Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 August 2017
Staff pretty not friendly. Elder staff just let new staff to do everything. Salary is pretty low than any other supermarket. woking environment not good.
overall the work is good
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 May 2017
I enjoyed working over there. at all days the store is very busy and people wait for their turn in the line to cash the grocery. I always try to be fast and take care all things
Fun
Cashier /Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 July 2015
Oceans is really good place to work at especially for students the hours are very compatible and the staff is very friendly. I just don't like the amount of pay being offered hourly and there is no benefits.
A typical day as a cashier.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 June 2015
Hello,
I am working as a cashier at Oceans Fresh Food Market. My whole day is really busy at my workplace and specially on weekends the work load increases more. Therefore, I have an ability to work fluently in a fast paced environment. The store management is quite well. I spent almost three years at Oceans, so I have excellent relationship with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is to cope with difficult customers and the enjoyable part is to help the customers by packing their bags and taking care of their stuffs.
Pros
Job guarantee.
Cons
My store is far from my home.
Normal days at work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 February 2014
* Managers are very understanding
* You will be treated as you treat others.
* Sometimes it gets tiring when the work is non stop busy
* The hours and timing is always suitable with my college times.
* Have also been trained at customer service desk
* Meeting with different people everyday
Pros
Tax free grocery and good hours.
Cons
Just gets tiring standing 8 hours.