Ocado Employee Reviews

Frustrating company to work for
Customer Service Team Member (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes9 December 2018
The onus is paced on the driver for almost everything.
If you are late for almost any reason you have to call all the customers to inform them. No block email release by the help desk whether you break down or run in to heavy traffic. They don't realise this makes you later!
Loading on the late is usually late due to late trailers to the spoke.
Again, you have to call your customers!
You are to blame for everything!
Best to photograph the van before leaving because you WILL be blamed for something when you return.
Accident? It takes almost an hour, no matter how trivial, to get going after phoning the manager, insurance AND the customers again!

There can be very early starts, around 05:30 and very late finishes, after midnight.
Latest deliver time? 23:30!
Start times can fluctuate when on early or late shifts.
Pros
Share save scheme
Cons
Relatively low wage. Very early starts (05:30) and very late finishes (past midnight!)
ocado hatfield, in less your a gimp
Warehouse Operative dispatch (Former Employee) –  Hatfield30 November 2018
what can i say about this place. i worked there on nights 2 and harf yrs on dispatch deriving vans and loading vans and trailers o and framloading as well. they work you hard and to get the boniness you have to con peat with other shift workers on your department. some workers stick together some don't i made good money there coz i crafted my ..s off. they don't like given over time out but some times you got it if it was needed. to menney supervisor's and managers on one shift some ok but rest look down on you like your scum. they don't no there head from there ..s to run that place and some or most time you would get moved to other departments like picking or goods in witch messes with your boniness. lads i worked with on my department where grate made lots of friends. there's good points and bad points about this place more bad then good. i cud talk more about this place and the things that went on there but i would be here for days telling you. as for the people on here saying its all good thieve got a good click going on in there or there one of the lap dogs if you've got the rite face and you do what they say you will fit rite in there if you no what i mean nuff said
Pros
met some good people in there
Cons
long hours to long and management
Hardwork
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire26 November 2018
Here I learnt how to work to certain targets and ensure that overall business targets were met effectively and correctly. However the working environment here is extremely challenging and your personal value is extremely low.
Ok place to get paid
Step Up Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Dagenham, Greater London26 November 2018
The good thing is that two days are never that same, I could be a chargehand, marshal or on a route. The bad things is your rota get change without asking and the management want blood out of stone
Pros
You get paid
Cons
No praise for a good job
Its a Ying Yang job.
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire22 November 2018
You clock in, print your paperwork and if your van is ready then off you go.

Each day is different as the routes are never the same...however, certain destinations like city centres will have you thinking about finding alternative employment. Why? Because road works in cities like Birmingham are an everyday occurence and your route will not allow extra time in which to navigate the diversions...very stressful.

When your not in the cities the job is brilliant and being out on the road in good weather your mood will be lifted and you will enjoy your job.

You are pretty much your own boss on the road and 99% of the time you can go days without speaking to management as you pass through the site office.

Unfortunately when you do need to speak to management you quickly remember why you like the solutude of being in the van on your own.

Pay is good but the shift patterns are the worst ive ever experienced...you can kiss goodbye to a social life and your family will soon moan about you never being around at weekends.

Overall i can honestly say that despite the negatives i do actually like my job. I mostly enjoy the driving and this is what keeps me going.
Pros
Driving. Solitude. Certain locations.
Cons
Cities. Management. Hours.
Interisting place to work in
Warehouse operative (Former Employee) –  Tamworth21 November 2018
Working for Ocado can ve really interesting, they hide a beautiflul story. Managers are close to their teams and try to make people feel really well. All teams work in great harmony
Ocado not good company
CSTM Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire16 November 2018
if you want to be persecuted and/or discriminated by mangers go work for Ocado, the pay is ok, London drops can be very hard such as 13 floor no lift with up to 80 kgs of water, milk, coke and/or juice. Most flats I delivered to had water.
Pros
Van loaded for you, pay
Cons
Persecuted, discrimination
An ok place to work if you can handle it
Warehouse packer (inbound) (Current Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire14 November 2018
In my experience the place was well run (although this varies between warehouses) the managers were great and my training was thorough however, working on the warehouse floor is extremely tedious and mixed with the very long hours can be nothing short of soulcrushing. My warehouse was also heavily automated meaning you worked independently at a station and had very little contact with the other workers. The breaks are quite long (2 x 40 min breaks) but are also unpaid meaning you lose a sizeable chunk of your pay. The managers are also very busy so it could be very annoying trying to find them when needed (as some parts of the job have to be approved by managers). The early start time is also very painful.
Pros
Good benefits, decent pay, well managed
Cons
Long hours, soulcrushingly boring, early start, not much holiday time, unpaid break
Huge turnover of staff as treated bad by management
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire14 November 2018
Management are rubbish. Little or no communication between HR, Team managers and work areas.Team managers talk down to you. Pick stations are so filthy. Food, dust and grime. Told to work in the chill isle and wearing layers of clothes, scarfs, hats etc, to then be sent to another area to work (have to de layer, to then get sent back to the cold and no time to layer up. Then the company penalises staff for getting sick. Only brown nosers get anywhere. Soon as I can find another job, I am leaving.
Pros
Not bad money. Staff shop is cheap.
Cons
Awful management. HR suck. Huge turnover of employees as nobody lasts long as treated so bad.
fun workplace
Personal home shopper (Former Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire13 November 2018
A good job which I enjoyed love people learner how to pack customers shopping and to see how others packed there shopping and helped people to learn how to pack it in a better way so the customer was happy with the way it was packed
If you like being rushed (as I do) it's fine
CSTM (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London6 November 2018
Look there are lots of cons
always not enough time
always need a wee (if you are a human that requires water)
in London all the places are hard to park etc

BUT

If you hate being stuck in a office. Looking at the clock turn 1hr = 1 minute. Then its great
You are so rushed the day does in a flash
Pay is good ~ if you include overtime (which you will include cause you will always get late cause they give you about 1/2 the time you actually need) then its great.
I made (10 hr shifts) 100 a day ave Id say - but days go quick
If you finish early you still get paid for the full shift (does happen once a week)
I lost my job they sacked me, but I don't regret working there I liked it a lot

If you like being rushed and don't crack under pressure driving in busy roads etc you will like it fine
Pros
Days go fast, is bordering on fun sometimes
Cons
Time on your back, no toilet break (that is easy anyway)
Nice workplace
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Hatfield5 November 2018
Its a very good company, tidy , and nice, people there are very supportive and helpful , there is always a good team work everybody is very friendly ,...
Pros
cheap food
Cons
long hours can get ovetimes
Nice and easy
CSTM Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London3 November 2018
Don’t listen to all the people saying that is terrible! Yeah if you are lazy and you can’t be bothered to follow the company rules you will get sacked.
Other than that is a brilliant driving job! You get a nice loaded sprinter and all you need to do is drive and unload. The working hours are very good in my opinion and booking holidays is very easy using their app. Management is always helpful and positive and they seem to really care for the people that are doing their job.The benefits pack is brilliant and you get a very good training before you go on the road.
Free coffee and parking for employees + a really nice chill area with pool table.
Overall I am really enjoying working for Ocado and I am happy to be part of their team
Pros
Free parking, Free Coffee, Good pay, Lovely Managers
Cons
Navigation could be bad
Maintenance Technical Assistant
MaintenanceTechnical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire1 November 2018
Hours: Mon-Fri but one week starting at 6am so getting up in the middle of the night for no extra pay or benefits.

Job role: terrible, should be called deep cleaner. Only advancement avaliable if your face fits.

Management: The worst structure, attitude I have ever experienced in my whole career. Lie till they are blue in the face to you.

Safety: SSOW not kept up to date, expected to crawl under live conveyors to clean so not to disrupt the decanting operation. Objects of food produce flying all over the place.

My advise, if you know the managment you will get on fine. If not, expect to be used & abused.

Career advancement: generally go external for higher positions as the excuse of we have used all our current skill set for the required job roles.
If your lucky to get training to progress you might be lucky to progress.

9 leavers in 6 months off my shift alone.
Don't care if you have mental illness
Customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Dartford31 October 2018
Never called and failed to care. Only cared about getting work done and never about traffic issues. camera in van sets off over slightest bump. Managers always changing
Pros
Warmth
Cons
Everything else
Challenging and rewarding position in dynamic, fast-moving team
Customer Team Member (Former Employee) –  Crawley30 October 2018
Great place to work, the role required strong communication skills and ability to work in a team. People skills were important due to colleague and customer interaction, no two days would be the same: I could be actively involved in problem resolution and dealing with general feedback, sharing with management as appropriate.
Working hours were shift based with flexible working to accommodate both early and late shifts.
Food Delivery Driver
Food Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  West Drayton, Greater London29 October 2018
My typical shift started by signing in using hand recognition. I would be assigned a route and a pre loaded van. After checking the correct loading of the van I would make numerous drops across a variety of locations ranging from West London to Reading.
It was a very well structured organisation however, the job could challenging for time to time. Mostly when making deliveries in flats without lifts, finding parking in difficult areas in London (Red Routes) and finding addresses in remote areas.
I did however enjoy interacting with my customers.
The managers were very supportive at all times.
Cons
A long commute
Avoid
HR Adviser (Current Employee) –  North London, Greater London25 October 2018
Awful company to work for. Management are made up of friends of people who work there. Massive disparity between head office and the reality of the depots. Terrible ethics and literally no morals at all.
Pros
Cons
Poor salary, poor ethics and management
Like being at school
Cstm van driver (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes25 October 2018
You get treated like a kid, if you injure yourself whilst at work expect to get in trouble for it , managers are up their own backsides , routes are ridiculous ,
Pros
Some managers are nice
Awful Company
Customer Service Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Dordon25 October 2018
Awful company to work for, treat the staff terribly, with no respect and will sack you over nothing. Massively high turnover of staff and always advertising.
Dont bother if you're looking for a job where you are treated more than just a number or want job security cos you wont get it!!!!
Pros
Cons
too many to list

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ocado. Our community is ready to answer.