Ocado Employee Reviews

Nice people, bad salary, poor management and no progression
HR Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire17 May 2018
I worked for ocado as an HR administrator as I wanted a career in HR. The work was extremely dull and repetitive - the majority of the day was spent booking meetings for HR advisors and printing out letters.
The salary was poor being so close to London (18k) and management style was terrible. My manager had no experience in HR and did not understand our job roles in depth.
Progression is a problem at ocado, as only a very small number of administrators move onto advisor roles or team leaders because progression is all focused on the graduates (who do the same job but earn 25k starting salary).
Only positive was that my team were amazing and genuinely lovely people!
Overall, I was disappointed with Ocado.
Pros
Nice team
Cons
Dull job, low pay, poor management and no progression
Different every day
Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Ruislip, Greater London9 May 2018
-Earliest start 4:30 AM, Latest finish 12:00 AM
-Delivering food products to houses and or companies
-Deliveries ranged from Central London to Henley on Thames
- Management were very helpful
Benefits
Cons
Stressful
A very good job
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Dordon7 May 2018
High tech technology ,professionalism , good synchronisation , a good management and the managers very kind . I believe this is a very good opportunity to develop a career in the future .
Educational
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Hatfield3 May 2018
Ocado was a really fun and exciting place to work due to the fact it was a massive warehouse and there was so much going on and some much that could be learnt !
No life if you work here
Customer Service Team Member CSTM) (Current Employee) –  Knowsley30 April 2018
skin and bone you alive worked here too long. and now they started planning after and before times slots. turn around routes so you come back and go out again!!! and alway get back late.. management don't care unless its time to give them a vote ... cant wait to find a new job... Salarys not bad, work almost every weekend in 13 weeks......
Pros
Cons
long trips, with min time to do it
Fantastic company
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire29 April 2018
I loved every minute working for this company. Sadly I left to try further myself in another career but I would definitely work there again if the opportunity arose. Good management and great staff members.
ok
Driver delivery (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire28 April 2018
you work am and pm shifts doing about 10 hours a day you learn how to be part off a team and alone and meet customers management are your typical managers hardest part off the job was the different start times best part was driving across uk
Bad management but good workplace
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire27 April 2018
The workplace was good I enjoyed working in a warehouse however I was contracted to do 40 hours without overtime and they began to make me do around 50+ a week without requesting overtime which then made it hard to balance my home life
Pros
Benefits and bonuses
Cons
Long hours without request
Busy so you never get bored
Personal shopper (Current Employee) –  Chilled zone pick26 April 2018
I just started here and on nights and pick. It's very fast paced if you want to keep up with targets and alot of walking. I'm loving the job for me it's perfect as I like to keep on the go and busy and also helps lose weight :D I prefer the night shift which is also extra money. My only wish is that they are set shifts. It's hard to get into a routine with sleep when one week you could do 4 nights in a row. Then 2 in 1 off 2 in 2 off and so on. But when you have like 1 day off it's difficult to find a sleep pattern. So I feel set shifts would be better for night shift workers as it's a very demanding Job so you do burn out quickly and walking so much with safety shoes on kills your feet. People so far are very nice. I don't like walking round and not being able to understand a word alot of them are saying and honestly I don't think it should be aloud that way. Everyone should speak the same language whilst at work. But I like the place at the moment and hope I'm here for a while. Great pay for me as I get an extra £400 a month to what I originally earned without any overtime which is great!
Pros
Good money
Cons
Not set shifts on nights
Great team environment.
Customer Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  London25 April 2018
I enjoyed the independence of the job and travelling around the country seeing new places everyday as a delivery driver. I met people at the doors of their homes and it was always nice to see the smile of a customer receiving their delivery on time.
Pros
Flexibility and independence.
Cons
Weather affects the job.
Not secure and demoralising
CSTM (Former Employee) –  Leeds20 April 2018
I left a secure job for Ocado thinking it would be better- it was not worth it. They hand out disciplinary for anything and everything. Managers don’t say morning to you as you walk in the building. Nobody knows your name just your hand scan number. Expected to drive around for 10 hours straight with a 30 min break that could be 8 hours into the shift. Not good pay for how the job makes u feel. the turnover of staff is unbelievable as they don’t care for people only the company. Do not apply for this job you WILL regret it
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Long hours, poor management, dissatisfaction everyday
It’s a friendly environment to work in and everyone gets on together
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire16 April 2018
I have learned many things working here, I have learned how to speak to customers in the right way and how I can help them, a typical day at work includes working on he tills and cleaning and making sure everything looks presentable
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Distance
Best paid job I have ever had, overtime available too
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Leeds14 April 2018
How people can moan is beyond me, yes it involves some lifting so what? The people that moan are the one's that have come from a job that involves sat on their rear ends doing nothing for 40k a year. If like me your coming from a job that is £7 per hour then this is quality, you get different rates of pay, basic mon to sat on am shifts then extra on pm and you get even extra om sunday's and if you do any overtime above 40 hours its just short of double time. Easy job aswell you average what 11 to 25 drops, the less drops you get the more miles you have to drive is usually the case, in leeds we cover to hull then the other way burnley, rochdale and everywhere in between. You turn up, print your route off you go, no loading or unloading your vans as the warehouse guys do it, its just like been your own boss, stop when you want, eat when you want as long as your on time for your drops your left alone, been there a few year now and I love it to be honest it beats been stuck inside with a manager on your back.
Pros
Early finishes, eat when you want, good money
Cons
None for me
Horrible hours and no reward
Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol13 April 2018
Very hard work, it may seem easy at first but the amount of miles and places they expect you to go are sometimes impossible so you end up on foot delivering.
No thanks from management if you go out your way to help and very bad hours
Pros
Cons
No social life
If you dont want a social life its for you
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Bristol4 April 2018
Easy work can be heavy at times, they want you to live the Ocado way and nothing else (stepford wives). One good thing is if you finish early you can go home and still get payed.
Pros
Non
Cons
Shift pattern, hardly any weekends off, they give you a pay rise then take 3days holidays off of you.
Collect your van and head out.
Customer service CSTM (Former Employee) –  Park Royal Station4 April 2018
The job was very good i really enjoyed it but you never really get to know anyone there as your just in and out.
if it were not for my physical condition i would still be there.
I really enjoyed the work.
Pros
Driving and meeting customers
Cons
The smallest mistake and your up against a firing squad.
No social life and complete disrespect from majority of the management
CSTM (Former Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire4 April 2018
Three years and during this time I witnessed a culture of sackings which I feel went against Employment Law. No consideration for the welfare of their drivers. The job itself was easy enough but with some routes not really achievable it placed unnecessary pressure on the CSTMs, and then dealing with the customers face to face, ensuring a great doorstep experience when you ran late. If you want to have no life, see no friends and have no time for your family then Ocado is for you.
Pros
Regular work
Cons
Unfair rota, just a number, no consideration
Customer Service
Customer Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  Brooklands3 April 2018
I enjoyed my time at Ocado facing the challenges of delivering a high quality level of service to customers.
Finding addresses at night in the middle of the countryside proved to be one of the biggest challenges but at the same time rewarding.
As with all companies, the job developed as time passed. Time pressures increased but as I stated at the start, I enjoyed the challenges these brought along.
If you are an engineer it is definitely a good place to be
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire1 April 2018
Fast moving environment due to the nature of the business on the operational side. As it is first of its kind company in the UK it is definitely an exciting place to be for engineers and business analysts not necessarily for warehouse operatives.
Productive work place
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London27 March 2018
Very good work place and people to be around very understanding about ur issues and helping with any problems you may have but the routes r too heavy and to mend jobs in a short time scale
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Bad route planning

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ocado. Our community is ready to answer.