Ocado Employee Reviews

You are not a human being,you are a number
Driver (Former Employee) –  Park Royal, Greater London22 September 2018
Nothing to do here,look for another job!

Do not bother with this company. You are practically a slave for a company that only cares for the numbers,not people....

Bad wages

No breaks

No holiday when you want

No days off when you need

No weekends off,ever!

In essence you are delivering 20-40 kilos! to people living on the 7th floor with no lifts. Parking is an issue always
Pros
Cons
all described
Back breaking work
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire20 September 2018
:ots of heavy duty lifting on some aisles. not for someone who wants to progress at a job. Great if you need something to keep you going. managers can be helpful when needed. very solitary job and can be lonely
Pros
easy to get a job there
Cons
irregular shift patterns, must be flexible
Great enviorment
Contact Center Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hatfield18 September 2018
Ocado is a great place to work and is a very young company so its every exciting to be apart of the company.

They offer great opportunities in house.
Pros
Great perks
Cons
Hours are a bit difficutl
Don't do it. Just.....don't!
CSTM Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire17 September 2018
Management couldn't care less about you. Poor wages. Routes are a joke. Sat-navs are useless. Marshalls are all up their own a***s. Vans are all in s**t state. Shift times are ridiculous (don't expect a social life.....or a family life........or just a life in general).

In short: back-breaking, stressful work that pays peanuts whilst the management with screw you over the first chance they get.
Pros
Clocking out.
Cons
How long have you got?
Good place to work hard
Personal shopper (Current Employee) –  Hatfield15 September 2018
if you are hard worker thats the place for you. Picking up heavy stuff, input data in the system, work fast as of that depends the bonus you will receive.
Pros
no pressure
Cons
heavy job
Decent workforce an office staff
HGV Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire15 September 2018
Nice easy job, 1 or 2 drops a day which you unload with warehouse ops.
Decent wagons, well maintained and not old. The problem with this job is security, your only ever one bad day away from getting the chop. Cameras watching you in the cab procedures that are not flexible. Lost count how many guys got sacked while I was there. Sadly your just a number and as such get treated that way by senior management.
The other thing rubbish start times and low pay. The money is poor and you do long days
Pros
Decent wagons easy work
Cons
Management/ job security
Cstm driver
Customer Service Team Member (Current Employee) –  Bristol13 September 2018
Silly hours, not enough time on route, sat navs are pants. Vans are damaged and on there last legs, management are not helpful and marshalls dont care! £330 take home
Great pay
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire31 August 2018
It was a good place to work, the people there were lovely but the hours dragged. The food in the canteen was amazing and the company shop prices were insanely amazing.
Pros
4 days a week working
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Hatfield28 August 2018
Hard work People help togheter like a team work. I like this job but is to far away from my home thats why I would like to change my job for a weekends.
I actually enjoy it!
Cstm (Current Employee) –  Avonmouth25 August 2018
t’s a job. Some of these reviews are shocking and I’m guessing are written by people who have left.
I’m 6 months in, and enjoy all aspects of it.
I like the fact that once you have your van your pretty much your own boss for the day.
Yes it’s stressful if your late or stuck in traffic, but as long as you have told the customers the company don’t mind - your provided with a company phone for that reason!
Yes it’s a pain lugging heavy totes up to flats with no lift, and other times the parking is non existent and difficult.
You do however just do your best, get the van back to depot and go home.
It’s not a job you stress about in your own time, it’s one you leave behind the minute you get out that van.
Pros
Weekly pay, free coffee, regular offers of extra leave or unpaid days
Cons
Shift times can suck
Long hours bad salary
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire18 August 2018
Less pay with long hrs of work and no one will ever appreciate you or your team for your hard work. Promoting people is based on god knows what reasons. People are getting sick and tired and no one has motivation to work. People will work hard if they get appreciated as an individual or a team.
Pros
Cons
Long lost
no good work place
ocado (Former Employee) –  dorson11 August 2018
I applied for van driver job and passed driving assessment and THE DBS clean but they didn't give to me job.... big time resist company.
thanks... they treat you dog no look after ... no holidays... just work just work...
Pros
no good
Cons
no good
Very poor place to work
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Enfield, Greater London11 August 2018
At the beginning everything is sweet you get short routes and easy areas but after first three months they will give you more totes than your van can take I don’t recommend this job to anybody as it is a back braking job you’ll have to deliver to flats with no lift expect even 4 th floor and loads of water they say they can appeal parking tickets when you get one but forget about that you will have to pay it anyway
Management think they are better than you they all started as a CSTM’s so they haven’t got any managerial experience basically treat you like a dog. Money is rubbish expect only between 320-360 depends if you do am or pm shift oh and forget about social life as you gonna have to work almost every weekend so for 320 pounds a week it’s not worth it
Pros
Free coffe
Jobsworth
none (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, Greater London9 August 2018
Arrived for interview on time. The guy behind the reception desk completely ignored me because he was on the phone to a driver. After about 15 minutes he finally asked me if I was there for an interview. I said yes, so he phoned someone. A bloke came out and said he couldn't interview me because I was late. I explained I had been on time and his answer was that I should have turned up half an hour early to avoid such a problem. No wonder they're desperate for drivers.
Pros
Cons
Arrogant attitude
ok place to work, just not for me
Personal Shopper Freezer (Current Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire7 August 2018
friendly management and ok place to work, hard work and long hours and not a lot of breaks, ok pay, longish commute for me and the job just isnt for everyone.
Pros
Friendly management
Cons
Long work days
wouldnt recommend
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Andover7 August 2018
a typical day at work is boring but with the staff it makes work considerately better. you have to stand at a station and pick items into totes and that is it.
management dont treat you very well you are pretty much just a number to them aslong as they get the orders picked and packed it doesnt matter if your ill or struggling with any sort of physical or mental health.
you can get promotions within the company but usually this only happens if you dont mind brown nosing your way up.
if you want to be treated with respect by your employers then i would not recommend this job.
Pros
Cons
long hours, bad management.
Lonely and isolated
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Dordon3 August 2018
It was a shock as this was my very first ware house job and the team that trained me were excellent the training and health and safety were on point but when you got put into the warehouse floor is was very different from what they made out it would be i felt very lonely and isolated you couldn't have a conversation with anyone and it became hard to try and make Friends there so i ended up feeling very lonely as i am a person people this may of just been the wrong job for me
Pros
shop where staff got discount of shopping
Cons
long hours, no morale, isolated, very very very lonely
Absolutely Shocking place to work
Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Tamworth, Staffordshire2 August 2018
Management don’t care and pin anything that goes wrong on you.

No work/life balance whatsoever and expect to work the majority of the weekends in the set roster. Impossible to book holidays in advance as they’re never available. No flexibility with shifts.

If you have a family with children this is not the place for you.

JUST A NUMBER IN THAT PLACE!
Pros
Cheap canteen
Cons
None at all
Poorly managed and managers don't care
Customer Service Team Member (Delivery Driver) (Current Employee) –  Hatfield1 August 2018
Been working at the Hatfield branch nearly a year. When you first start, the job is all good. You're given like 15 drops in Colchester or 9 in Ipswich. But as time goes on I ended up getting London everyday and a minimum of 24 drops. A 20 minute break which you never really take because you're usually running late. The vans are usually incorrectly loaded and the loaders always moan about fixing it or they say take it how it is. The managers aren't great, I went to one asking for some overtime as I was struggling with money & he told me to get a part time job. 40 hours of evening work gets me £389 before tax. There's been a few occasions when I've gone in and been sent home without pay for Ocado's miscommunications. If you ask for help you won't get it as the managers really don't care & they're rude. 3 days Absense will get you an Absense investigation meeting. Everything you do is recorded on camera in the cab and they will pull you on every thing. If you clock out after your shift finishes you're paid overtime but if you clock in before your shift starts you aren't paid for it.Customer service is always helpful! I could go on but who's really read this far!
Pros
Discounted on site store & weekly pay
Cons
Poor management, poor route planning, poor everything.
Okay If you need something to get by until a better job
Customer Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  Avonmouth27 July 2018
extremely high percentage of staff turnover, why? see below.
- Shifts are split into either early morning starts from 5.30am - 7.30am or late afternoon starts 2pm - 4pm.

- you can expect to only be given 1 day off before swapping morning to nights which personally isnt enough time for my body clock to reset.

- you can expect to work past your contracted hours on an almost daily basis with only a 20 minute allocated spot for break.

- you can expect to not receive support from managers if you're running late due to the poor route planning system.

-you can expect a semi-decent wage if you work mainly nights and weekend.

- you can expect to be one of the 75% that leave within the first 6 months because its just that bad.

-you can expect to have the opportunity to help train new drivers for a small incentive...just dont expect progression beyond that.

- you can expect to be extremely lonely.
Pros
not really any
Cons
its a nightmare trust me

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ocado. Our community is ready to answer.