Ocado Employee Reviews

Bad place to work
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire17 July 2018
Just note that every one leaves this job after 2 -3 months To much physical work and very bad pay rate. There is lost of overtime but you wont have the energy to do it. Rude managers who don"t care about you i have work there for 1 year
Job as no other
CSTM Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Enfield Lock, Essex10 July 2018
I've worked for Hatfield branch back in 2014 and quit after 8-9 months. 3 months later reapplied to Enfield as it was closer to my address. The difference between those to depots are that Enfield delivered Morrisons goods. Wich means less posh customers, less houses instead you get more flats, more stairs and no lifts.
Job is easy at the begining, no many drops no hard areas but once you improved it gets harder, it gets to the point that you cant no longer do it cus at some point your body gives up on you, mentally and physically. Personally I think that delivery to central London should be prohibited as its not possible to park and deliver anywhere in this place especialy in the time slot company force you to stick to.
Apart of great customer skills and driving abilities you will be required to have ability to calm yourself down very often. Also usful may become to have a lot of physical strength and some fighting skills. Not only to carry the shopping to the top floor of 4 story building while your van is parked half a mile down the road but you may need it if you find yourself in trouble with local mob trying rob your van, as it happeed to me or fuming angry drivers because you blocked the narrow road for 10min due to no parking. I've worked there very short period of time but could write a book about this job. The good think about this company is that ppl are very nice and you get to meet some top guys there. Unfortunately low pay, highly stressful job environment(stress regarding only driving and parking in busy city) and weird hours disqualifies this job in my books.
Pros
being your own boss on the road, early finishes
Cons
low pay, high level of stress, unsociable hours
delivery driver oxford
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire9 July 2018
the van is preloaded for you. there can be delays going out (not a huge problem).
personally for me, I always felt I was 'chasing time' there seems to be no time to drive quietly and in a relaxed manner to get to the next drop.

I always made time it is pretty much job and finish, average approx. 30 -60 mins early finish, you are allowed to go home.....fully paid.

I rarely took a meal break (although its built into the route).
minimal wage with pervert people
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Dordon, Warwickshire6 July 2018
minimal wage with pervert people. if you work to make the bonus. the pervert people from there will use the system and move you around to lose the bonus!
Excellent and fast pace environment
Installation Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 July 2018
Good Culture and future opportunities. Company has big plans for the future and is and excellent place to get advance experience in automated warehouses.
Pros
New Technology
Ocado
Customer Service Team Member/Marshall (Former Employee) –  London3 July 2018
Daily duties include getting all of the deliveries in pallettes, loading them unto the van in a timely manner and carefully.

looking at the rota ensuring that enough time is catered for each drop. and over all customer satisfaction
Pay is good
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Leeds1 July 2018
Mananger s don’t Care, all they care about is that you make your delivers . They say if you don’t like it then you can find another job. Call centre very unhelpful
Pros
Pay
Cons
Better than working for a Supermarket
CSTM (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol30 June 2018
Where I used to work I was on minimum wage and only got paid for the hours I worked, here it's at least a pound more an hour and you get paid more for working evenings, Sundays, over time, but for some reason, not Bank Holidays, I'm not saying it should be time and a half, they could at least make that Sunday rate, or even an extra 50p an hour would make me feel differently about doing it.
It also seems odd that you earn more money for working after 6pm, but get very little for coming in really early the best you get is half an hour at night rate when you come in at 5.30.

Some people complain about losing weekends, where I last worked I worked every weekend, compared to that weekends are more of a thing for me now.

You always work 5 days a week with 2 rest days that seem to come at random times, sometimes you also work early to late shift meaning a good long break between shifts without a rest day.
You can often change your shift times online, as well as book holiday. It's good to get a bit creative on the website booking holiday at strategic times to get yourself long breaks, I tend to get a period of at least 4 days off at least once a month, sometimes you can end up with as many as 5 days off, but only using one day's holiday.
You can move to 10-hour shifts and only work 4 days a week but they tend to be a bit of a slog, it would be good if we could do a mixture of shifts only working two 10 hour shifts a week and get 5 rest days a fortnight.

You come in and your van is loaded for you then you go out to do your route and it's always somewhere different, it's
  more... so big there are many places we cover I've still not been to even after 2 years, the last place I worked I was sick of always being in the same areas.

Compared to where I used to work, the driving standards are a lot better and the vans are a lot cleaner.

It's a good place to work, but for some reason, Bristol Spoke pays less than many others even the Dordon spoke pays more and that's in a less expensive place to live.
The check-in system at the end of the day seems to be really laborious, it can sometimes take over half an hour before you can leave. It just seems odd they make the marshals park the vans for us.
I would consider the Marshal job, but it seems more of a step down than up, they get paid slightly more, but they're unlikely to go home early, meaning per hour they probably earn less than many of the drivers.
Pros
Nice job, tends to be easy, more profetional than supermarkets.
Cons
No extra for coming in early, bank holidays or Saturdays, less money than other spokes for no apparent reason. Takes too long to get checked in
Shocking place company to work for. Simple.
CSTM Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London25 June 2018
I spent over 12 weeks in the Wimbledon depot as a CSTM. What a joke, mangers behind the desk were rude, my evening pay wasn't paid accordingly, when you do 7.5hrs a day you are paid only up to when you finish your round. You have no life.

If you are sick 3 times you are spoken too about weather or not they can authorise these absences or not. Everything you do is watched. Please don't work at Wimbledon they try to talk to you like your a kid.
Pros
Cons
Don't ever work for them
Boring and rubbish pay
customer Service Team Member (Current Employee) –  Park Royal, Greater London24 June 2018
Boring place to work, could go in and not talk to anyone.
The Wage bracket on the website is wrong, says starting pay is £10 but is actually £8.90....

Want to know more about Ocado?

Ask a question
Backache,no social life and sliming their way through everything
Cstm (Current Employee) –  Warwickshire18 June 2018
The pay is terrific.but unfortunately that's all there is about this job that is terrific. They try to train you in how not to injure yourself doing this job(which is impossible with what they make you do) but have posters up about musculo skeletal disorders and advice on it.hmmmm

If someone lives on the 20th floor and has order 12 boxes of water they expect it taken up.you WILL hurt your back in this job.not maybe.not possibly.you WILL.

Then there's the customers who want it all brought in or to the back door or squeeze through a 6 inch gap to their front door. They really do take the mickey out of you then will phone up complaining and possibly costing you your job because they want a 10 quid voucher.

Customer services will drive you insane.they ring and ring and ring even though your DRIVING and can't answer.they will then call your spoke or cfc and tell on you for not answering.which will then get you punished.seems fair doesn't it? Customer services (Morrison's is the biggest culprit) will also call up lying about you saying you promised to go back a redeliver even though you spoke to nobody.

If you have kids you will never see them.same with friends.every bank holiday you will work and they think they're doing you a great service by giving you max 2 weekends off in 13 weeks. Cheers guys!!

So take my advice DO NOT work for Ocado.they are spiteful,selfish and cruel and don't give a rats butt about you or your safety and will tell you you just have "a weak back" when you injure yourself climbing those 20 flights of stairs 7 times.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Pretty much everything else
low moral
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire31 May 2018
Purley Ocado, they only care about the company and not there staff or there issues. a lot of the staff end up with depression as there is no support for the staff allowing customers to become abusive and sometimes emotionally violent towards staff. this is managed by the management giving the customer a voucher.
Pros
free bread
Cons
no suport
Not the best paying but good enviroment to work in
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Erith, Greater London29 May 2018
Management are friendly and respectful
Work within a non food warehouse picking packing and putting stuff into auto store so far so good as far as I'm concerned
Pros
Nice friendly people
Cons
Not the greatest pay and breaks are abit weird
dont work here
Goods In Operative (Former Employee) –  Andover26 May 2018
was doing really well worked hard then sacked for something that was not my fault not willing to listen to witness statements deleted half the cctv total stich up cant take them to a tribunal as not worked there for two years and they know it
Pros
easy enough job
Cons
they crying out for staff then sack the decent hard workers
total liars
cstm (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire21 May 2018
i was told that my shifs would be varied, anything from 5 am start, finishing up to midnite, and lots in the middle of that.
but after starting my training i was given my 12 wk rota, which was 2 wks of early starts (5am) and 2 weeks of lates finishes (midnite). not varied at all, nothing in between. spoke to several employees during my traiing wk who said "oh your one of the new starters on the turn around shift are you?" ie terrible hours
most of them working fridays, saturdays and sundays. very disappointed, the person who interviewed me shoul have been honest about the hours and days.
Pros
free coffee machine
Cons
liars, terrible hours
Nice people, bad salary, poor management and no progression
HR Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire17 May 2018
I worked for ocado as an HR administrator as I wanted a career in HR. The work was extremely dull and repetitive - the majority of the day was spent booking meetings for HR advisors and printing out letters.
The salary was poor being so close to London (18k) and management style was terrible. My manager had no experience in HR and did not understand our job roles in depth.
Progression is a problem at ocado, as only a very small number of administrators move onto advisor roles or team leaders because progression is all focused on the graduates (who do the same job but earn 25k starting salary).
Only positive was that my team were amazing and genuinely lovely people!
Overall, I was disappointed with Ocado.
Pros
Nice team
Cons
Dull job, low pay, poor management and no progression
Excellent workplace for those that fit in
Customer Service Team member (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire12 May 2018
Does not suit me personally as I am seeking mental challenges but if you are someone who enjoys driving and meeting people then it is a welcoming and enjoyable workplace
Different every day
Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Ruislip, Greater London9 May 2018
-Earliest start 4:30 AM, Latest finish 12:00 AM
-Delivering food products to houses and or companies
-Deliveries ranged from Central London to Henley on Thames
- Management were very helpful
Benefits
Cons
Stressful
A very good job
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Dordon7 May 2018
High tech technology ,professionalism , good synchronisation , a good management and the managers very kind . I believe this is a very good opportunity to develop a career in the future .
Educational
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Hatfield3 May 2018
Ocado was a really fun and exciting place to work due to the fact it was a massive warehouse and there was so much going on and some much that could be learnt !

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ocado. Our community is ready to answer.