OCAD University Employee Reviews

Overworked, Underpaid
Student Monitor (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 November 2018
Student monitors, staff and sessional faculty perform duties that often exceed their job description, with little in the way of job security or compensation to show for it.
Decent workplace, tough retail market (textbooks) meant lower than average salary.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 September 2018
Actually a satellite store of U of T Press leasing the space from OCAD U. Very hard market to stay profitable in. Very tight deadlines. Staff were dedicated and we always had the best at our store. Product mix shifted away from computers and technology toward clothing and stationery to maintain profitability. OCAD staff and students are still my favourites!
Pros
Good work/life balance is a company policy.
Cons
Salaried = long hours
Provides work opportunities for students
Student Monitor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 July 2018
OCAD provides students many job opportunities and is willing to work with students' school schedules. OCAD generally have an accepting and welcoming work environment.
A good place to work for students
Monitor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 June 2018
Gives you on site experience with digital fabrication methods. Community of experienced technicians are available to guide you and inform your process.
Pros
Access to facilities
Cons
Low pay, small chance of permanent position
Amazing experience
Library Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 June 2018
My coworkers were amazingly kind and inspiring. It was a great experience that enhanced my abilities to interact with others. This job taught me a lot about time management and public relations.
Productive work, with opportunities for technical learning
Student Lab Monitor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 June 2018
The work is rewarding and allows for a great experience in interacting with other students and the instructors. There are several opportunities to learn about the technical aspects of the equipment available.

The hours are based around the school and personal schedule, and are flexible enough for those studying full time, or commuting.

There is however no real job security, and low chances of continued employment after graduation.

The management and coworkers are great to work with and the work itself if fairly enjoyable, but the hours never exceed above 10-12 hrs/week, making it necessary for a second job to cover expenses.
Pros
Flexible schedule to work around school and commute, fun and friendly work environment
Cons
Low number of hours, No real job security
Great workplace
Professor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 June 2018
Nice and creative students and very organized management.

My first step in Canad to teach at higher education level, and I learned a lot of amazing experience.
Good part-time jobs for students
Monitor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 May 2018
The work environment at OCAD University is enjoyable for any student who is need of work. There are a lot of jobs available for full-time students, where you can work in various departments and get an insight of what goes on.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
limited hours
Operated like a business without accountability
Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 April 2018
any issues I had were never resolved, administration would not get back to me. I found the programs to be mis-advertised and things that we were promised were not covered.
Nice balance
AV/IT Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2018
As a student, you are able to get some school work done and get paid. Co-workers will be very friendly and very lenient towards your school schedule. Not too stressful.
Beneficial Work-study Opportunity
Lab Monitor (Former Employee) –  Monitor, AB28 November 2017
Working as a Lab Monitor at OCAD University's photography department was a beneficial experience which helped me better understand the photography program.

As work-study employment, there is a sense of safety and inclusion that is rare to find within an office environment.

The supervising technicians are helpful and always willing to teach the lab monitors in areas where they may not be confident, and are there as a support system to ensure that both the employees and the students are working in a safe and productive environment.

While it can be a bit of a learning curve, when dealing with the electronic system for equipment handling and sign-outs, there is always a supervisor with whom you can confer.

Provided a steady work ethic is shown, students do not have to fear losing their jobs (without good reason), and have the opportunity to progress to class assistants, and later technicians after graduation.
Pros
Flexible hours catered to class schedule
Cons
In-depth knowledge of most of the equipment required
Really fun and comfortable work environment.
Promoter (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 October 2017
I loved working with OCAD and promoting their university because it was really fun and you promote at your own time and pace. It is good experience if what you wnt to do in the future is work within social media or the arts industry.
The IDRC is awesome!
Graduate Research Assistant, Our Doors are Open (Current Employee) –  49 McCaul Street, Toronto, Ontario16 September 2017
I really enjoy working in OCAD's Inclusive Design Research Centre. My coworkers and I get along well, the creation of our print and digitral resources is challenging and rewarding, and our bosses really value our input!

The hardest part of the job, for me, was creating some of the website resources. The most enjoyable part for me, as an extrovert, is leading our workshops and seminars, because I love talking to people about faith and inclusion!
Pros
Great coworkers and supervisor; meaningful work
Cons
Large blocks of work followed by lulls
student
Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2017
it was a project with full of experience in a perfect environment and it calls "Relief". I really like that position and that project. it was exhibited at 52nd Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition.
It does not have any salary.
Pros
perfect experience
Cons
it was just a small project
Salaires basses, sans securite
Sessional Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 July 2017
Je recois un salaire plus bas que les Teaching Assistants, mais je travaille 10x plus forts, et j'ai beaucoup de responsabilites aux etudiants. Je recois seulement $6,000 par course que j'enseigne, mais quand je travaillais comme Teaching assistant j'ai recu $7,000 (je crois qu'ils ont aussi baisser les salaires des TA)
Its a nice University to be a part of
OCAD Technician - Wood Shop (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 March 2017
I love the people who come by the shops but also the classes are a great environment with very little people making you work closer with your professors.
Pros
good times
Cons
bragging
I learned a lot at this job
Facilities, Space Information & Records Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 January 2017
it was really helpful to finish university and go into a job.
job security at OCAD is very low
I enjoyed my work and the people within my department
i had to use a lot of skills and learned a lot about taking criticism and rolling with the punches
Pros
lots to learn
Cons
no job security
Project
Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2017
Great learning experience with many other professors to talk to.

A typical day at OCADU is never sit down for too long. Always running around to be inspired by different designers and errands.

The environment is very positive, there are a lot of great model makers and illustrators.
Amazing
Photographic Monitor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 August 2016
Was a perfect way to emerge myself more into the environment of my school. Was a good job to manage on top of a full course load
Workplace culture varies
Mental Health Initiatives Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 August 2016
Depending on the department, you can be really isolated or feel like you are a part of something.

I loved the challenges about the job and knowing how my work improved the quality of life for students, was very satisfying.