Oakridge Landscape Contractors Employee Reviews

Very disorganized
Operator/Driver (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 August 2019
Was told I was going to be hired for a position in two weeks. Came in again and told position no longer available.
I have operator and dz license and they still didn't think I could run a machine. I have over 15 years experience.

Management very disorganized in hiring and I'm sure that is only the beginning
Poorly managed
Maintenance foreperson (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON1 May 2019
Worked here for a bit , none of the maintenance forepeople had any experience , company has unrealistic expectations of time on site , good people to work with however lots of temporary Mexican employees that speak no English , good workers but impossible to do your job working with an entire crew of people with NO English language . The lead supervisor is a great guy but not a great place if you are experienced and take pride in your work , good pay , good benefits though
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Unrealistic expectations
Well paying jobs, room to grow
Labourer (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 March 2019
Good people, wage is higher than average for labour jobs. Long hours during construction season but make good money. Benefits after 3 months either through union or the company.
Pros
pay and benefits
Few pros many cons
Maintenance Foreman (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON15 March 2019
Would not recommend as a foreman I almost let it ruin the passion I have for the industry I’ll start with the cons. As a foreman expect to be training the greenest of the green weekly while using equipment that is way past its life and constantly breaking mechanics act like weekly maintenance on equipment is inconvenient and a hassle they do not like maintenance guys. 90% of the time you will carry the crew on your back if you are lucky you will have a few skilled leadhands like I did 3in2 years but they will leave once they don’t get the raises entitled to them in the contract they sign or fired over nonsense. you also will not have a life outside of this company as you work 55+ hours a week 6 days a week consistently through out the whole season (say goodbye to Saturday’s)Expectations from ownership is extremely high For the amount of manpower and skill they keep around .The interview you will be promised training and raises take that with a grain of salt as you will be fighting for a raise and most likely not get it unless you are highly skilled and they think you will leave. you will definitely not get any meaningful training. Most supervisors have 0 basic horticulture knowledge making the job harder and will be quick to throw you under the bus when something goes wrong expect that a lot it will never be good enough with time you have on each site they'll also be real quick to take credit when you do a excellent job.You will have a huge pay cheuqe with more taxes then you’ve ever paid but that’s cause you’ll be working 55+ hours a week 6 days a week. make sure you know  more... what your entitled to (raises, holiday pay)

The pros to working here is you will have a massive cheuqe every Friday if you value money more then a life also probably the safest company in Ontario you will not get away with anything unsafe.most pros are not for foreman as you should avoid this place entirely if you are skilled and experienced you’ll end up hating this industry. But If you are a skilled lead hand type with a full G license or someone green who wants to make the jump to foreman one day I highly recommend it as you can move up quickly to gain experience. because the turnover rate is extremely high and like no other. The biggest pro is the grounds operation supervisor he will litterly give you the the shirt off his back and belt around his waist I’ve seen it multiple times . he always make sure you are as happy as possible making working here easier if you do take a job here pretend he’s the owner and cheuqe signer days will be better. if you’ve worked in maintenance or even construction here you know how honest this review is.
Pros
Grounds supervisor big cheuqe safety
Cons
Lots
Calm The right salary. Insurance
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 February 2019
I have 18 years of work experience in the bank. I have specialized in accounting and marketing and communications, and I have completed many specialized courses.
Very unorganized, poor treatment of employees concerns!
Truck Driver / Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON25 February 2019
As a former employee, it saddens me to see that management is continuing their poor employee acknowledgement. They wouldn't pay any overtime and refused to pay vacation pay to some employees. They have been reported continuously and yet they continue to treat employees poorly. Their pay is way below regional standards and place demanding duties that are strenuous to accomplish. Would not recommend wasting your time giving this company your valued time and effort.
Pros
Cons
Where shall i start.....
Waste of time. Get treated like garbage.
Construction Laborer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 December 2018
Don't work here. You will get underpaid for long days. You are constantly breaking your back for garbage pay and benefits (if you're a construction laborer). Meanwhile, some of the laziest people there are making 3x what you make, just because they know people within the company. It's bs. Management is a joke. You could be on your phone all day, doing nothing and still get promoted to foreman with a pay raise while the people who actually work, are forgotten. Coworkers here are like teenagers, constantly gossipings.
Pros
n/a
Cons
everything
Organized confusion and no communication
heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 August 2018
This company has the highest employee turn over rate I have ever seen,the owner likes to micro manage and throw childish tantrums in the office.they do not pay travel time to sites,no over time pay and won’t pay stat holidays unless you know better.as a heavy equipment operator I was classified as an “outdoor worker” and seriously under paid.i would not recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Steady pay
Cons
Bad work environment
A company with great values
Foreperson (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 June 2018
I worked for Oakridge a few years ago. I think there is a strong sense of teamwork in the culture and a strong upper management that cares about all the workers. You get to experience all kinds of tasks and duties and are not held to just one job description. it is definitely not a boring place to work. Safety is the number one concern and I felt safe while working at Oakridge. I had a change in career so I had to leave, however, I would recommend anyone starting a career at Oakridge.
Pros
Always work available all year round
Cons
Certain times in the year very busy, long hours.
Fun place with good people
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 March 2018
I like my coworkers and find the work satisfying. Days can be long, but it's a fun environment to work in. There are lots of opportunities for advancement and moving up in the company.
toxic work environment, very little support or assistance - very long hours no compensation
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamiton23 January 2018
poor work environment, stressful work load, very long hours with no compensation, no support and poor training, mgmt expectation unrealistic do not recommend for any position - pay is acceptable but long work hours - company is family run and outsiders have no room for advancement, Only Operations Manager is supportative - very little departmental support, assistance or direction. Operating system outdated - hard to access information or accurate data.. Unless you are a family member no advancement, respect or patience.
Pros
Cons
long hours - very large workload, no assistance or direction by department head, unpleasant co workers
Very good compnay to work for, always work for those who have pride in their career
Landscaper/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON4 September 2017
A well organized company, and always takes pride in the finished product of residential and commercial Jobs. No benefits to those who aren't high up with the company in the office and supervisor/ manger roles. Could do a better job with interacting and getting to know dedicated labourers and lead hands better within the company.

For those who are willing to work and are generally a good person to get along with other co-workers, this is a great place to work!
Pros
always work available
Cons
long hours, not easy to move up in the company, family/family family friend-oriented managing
Awesome place to work
Accounts Payable/Receivable/Payroll Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 May 2016
Very family oriented and we all work well as a team to get the job done. I have learned alot of various jobs as I am cross trained to do all positions at this company. You have to be a multi tasker to work at this company.
horrible place to work
Payroll/Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Hannon, ON7 February 2015
poorly managed, extreme favoritism for certain employees, not a good place to work. A very uncomfortable working environment if you don"t play their games.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oakridge Landscape Contractors. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5