Oak + Fort

Oak + Fort Employee Reviews

Not worth it

A very competitive sales environment, for what are low-quality, fast fashion adjacent clothes. However, the team was usually very fun and supportive and it was sometimes enjoyable to work there.

Pros

Coworkers were really fun

Cons

Very competitive, not enough hours given out, upper level management micromanages, can be clique-y, very slow

LOL absolutely not

Avoid working for this company at all cost! Extremely stressful! Very high expectations with little to no training at all. The only good thing I can really say about working at the specific location I was at, was the people that I met, such lovely individuals that I still talk to today. Other then that this is not the place to work! They pretend to be all nice at first but the second management gets too comfortable they feel like they can talk and treat u any type of way. They make you feel bad if you don’t know something. Managers hire their friends/family members so they end up getting away with a lot. Most of the times you have to ask to go on break, if not they will forget about you and you won’t end up going till really really late! Honestly believe the reviews that you see for this company. I ignored them thinking that what ppl were saying was false but if only I had taken those reviews seriously it would have saved me a tremendous amount of time and my mental health lol

Pros

The ppl that I met

Cons

Everything else LOL

Do not work here

I worked in the Design department and it was the worst work experience I have ever been in. I was paid minimum wage in a position that was demanding. There was a lack of transparency, training, positive work culture, and joy. Work culture was cold. Music was not allowed. Upper management did not know how to delegate and often blamed you when things went wrong. I was stressed everyday and dreaded going to work. I didn’t know how bad it was until I left. I would not recommend working here.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Management, pay, work environment, culture, stressful

Toxic Workplace

I am a former employee at an Oak+Fort location and the management was really bad. They had to constantly find new hires because most employees would turn over. They would also not allow you to take a two day vacation off because they “need our support”. They also don’t understand that we have our own lives that we have and expect us to dedicate it all to our job there. They would also move you to different stores without asking you. Not worth being paid minimum wage and being overworked. They expect us to complete goals that are impossible to complete in 10 minutes or so. The only thing that was good about this job were the co-workers that I met.

Pros

Co-Workers

Cons

Management, Overworked, Very inconsiderate

Awful Management & Toxic Environment

Consistently hire people because the turn over rate is high. Incompetent management to lead the team.Expect to work over time or on weekend with no work life balance

Fun Workplace & Collaborative

During my time here was such a great experience. All the employees were very friendly and we all worked as a team to help the company succeed. What was really amazing was actually working with the owner collaboratively and freely. A lot of owners of big companies often hide in their offices but not with this company. The owner would always be on the front lines working with each department and was so kind. The only reason why I left was because I had moved out of the city and the commuting was too much. There would always be staff appreciation lunches or events for the holidays as well. Decent pay and benefits was great!

Pros

Staff appreciation events, benefits, workplace environment

fun, educational, productive

started my career there. loved it sharp aestheticsinternational exposureeasy to talk to coworkers lovely locationnon-stagnant, a company with drive to grow

Potential, but showed little progress

Oak + Fort has great potential and was at a better place than when I started —recognizing the needs of their employees and trying to address their deserved needs. However, it was apparent that they had difficult adjusting to current demands and building trust within their team beyond their family ties. There’s potential for you to develop your role but with limited skills sets to learn from as they often hire under qualified people for For less pay.

Pros

Team members

Cons

Unfair pay, unqualified management making it difficult to gain meaningful mentorship.

Don’t Work for this company

Low wage, stressful, competitive, Don’t give you hours. Most importantly if the store is dead, they force the workers home. They cut you without letting you know

Awful Management & Training

Management here is all around terrible. They are not there to support you and provide extremely minimal training yet have very high expectations. They will only schedule you for 4-5 hour shifts, which is not enough time to complete all the tasks you are given. They will not allow you to clock out, even if it is already past the time your shift ended. On most days, they do not allow breaks and if you go on one they will force you to clock back in before your time is up. Tons of negative re-inforcement and a very toxic work environment. Management is very condescending in the way they speak to you. While their expectations of you are extremely high, management is very lazy and will stand around doing nothing all day while they command you around and put way too much on your plate with no support. Would not recommend working here to anyone.

Great work environment

Great place to work Loved the team effort Loved the recognition Cool vibes Cool people Cool clothes There are growth opportunities within the company that provide potential candidates with no glass ceiling.

Fast-paced, stressful, competitive

Poorly managed Low hourly wage I learned how to work in a fast-paced environment Workplace culture was very compe The most enjoyable part of the job were the friends I made

Poor management, and low income

Management was always fussy, and was terrible at training. They penalized people for not knowing, when they should've just taught them. Has a high turnover rate, but management/Headquarters think it's the employees fault, instead of theirs. Would not recommend working here.

Asking for too much for low pay

They are very dramatic when it comes to talking and selling to a customer, they get angry and disappointed if you don’t end up making a sale. It’s mentally exhausting and you’re just getting minimum wage. Very short shifts and if it’s not busy they send you home earlier.

Stressful, no work/life balance and poor management skills

A typical day at work would include refreshing store racks and tables. Re-merchandise products due to sell through and help customers with whatever they need assistance with. The workplace culture can be toxic as management only cares about themselves and no one else. They put a lot of pressure on employees who are at the bottom of management team such as floor managers and Leads. No paid vacation or benefits even if you are full-time. Sales associates become very competitive due to high sales goals even on non busy days. And lastly they don't provide proper training and still expect you to do the work and bring results. Hardest part of the job is dealing with customers who don't know how to shop, have no manners and make a huge mess everywhere all while having to merchandise the store and help them at the same time. Most enjoyable part of the job will have to be some of the people you work with and that can depend on the location you work at.

Takes advantage of employees

Run the other way! This company is severly micromanaged. The designer does not care about staff. They will terminate you on your 90th day of employment. No warning of notice. No alternatives. Sketchy! Severly disillusioned management.

Good work environment with manageable hours

The management team was diligent and understanding towards the employees. The workplace culture was supportive and the overall experience of working at the warehouse sale was positive.

Horrible work environment, poor treatment of employees

I worked in head office for 2 years and was so excited for the opportunity, and so disappointed with what it turned out to be. This company cannot hold on to good employees, does not pay them well, micromanages from the top down and there is no company transparency or trust. It was a terrible work culture/environment and would only ever be a stepping stone of experience for people in the Vancouver fashion world. Bad pay, bad employee treatment when seeking support to stay with the company and grow a career. Work hard and don't complain, do what your told environment.

Pros

discount

Cons

bad pay, bad culture

An ok environment that could use work

-The company really needs to hire competent leaders within the warehouse and give enough resources to meet what they are asking for -The people I worked with were very fun to work with however

Undervaluing employees since 2010

Poorly run company, totally uncompetitive pay. Management is run by CEO's friends, so they are completely incompetent at their jobs, having no formal (or informal, for that matter) training.

Good place for learning

It is a real working environment and everything need to be followed the rule. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly so that everyone can focus on their work without pressure.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oak + Fort. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5