O-I (Owens-Illinois)

O-I (Owens-Illinois) Employee Reviews

Canada7 reviews
The 12 hour shift is not too difficult and over a 2 week period you have 7 days off, of which overtime is often available. The work is not too difficult but can be tedious. Every other weekend you are scheduled to work Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Pros
The pay is good and overtime is available if you want it but not mandatory
Cons
The plant is filthy and loud
Les journées de travail s'étirent et votre équilibre vie professionnelle et familiale en est affecté. Milieu malsain, raciste, malpropre, ou l'harcèlement et l'inéquité est chose commune et toléré par la haute direction. La haute direction de l'usine manque de leadership et incapable d'insuffler le changement et les mauvaises habitudes perdurent. Comme l'usine est centenaire, une large proportion des superviseurs n'ont aucune scolarité et de ce fait sont parfois les plus résistants aux changements et adoptent des attitudes de rustres sexistes. La culture qualité est totalement absente et peu supportée par les têtes dirigeantes de l'usine.
Pros
Bonne rémunération
Cons
Ambiance malsaine pour les nouveaux employés
I loved working at O.I. Canada, being employed there for 20 years I learned so much. I did so many different jobs starting with palletizing, to making cartons in the carton loft. My most satisfying job was quality control. I was incharge of the quality of ware going to the customer, cutting, measuring and gauging the glass. Working for so long with the company, I felt that it was my second home and they were all my family.
Pros
Being 100% satisfied that when my glass was shipped, the customer would have no complaints.
A typical day at work began with the running of bottle samples through various machines in order to assess machine functionality. Each sample is ran three times on an hourly basis, for a total of 36 times per shift. The rest of the shift was spent monitoring the lines for jam ups, assessing bottles for critical defects as well has keeping the work environment clean and safe. Occasionally My job required me to hand package glass ware, palletize cartons as well as feed ware and cartons onto the conveyor belt.

While working with Owens-Illinois, I learned how to operate a manual as well as a semi-automatic forklift. I learned to to operate and fix jam-ups in machinery as well as how to assess glass bottles for defects. My supervisors and co-workers were welcoming and helpful when it came to me learning how to manoeuvre throughout the factory environment.

The hardest part of the job was withstanding the high temperatures for long periods of time while actively working. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to take the skills I learned during my training, and altering them in a way that allowed me to work more efficiently and enjoyably.
Pros
Extended breaks in high climates
Cons
Long hours, very high temperature
Salary is above average. Working conditions are fair - good. Management fair, and approachable. Room for advancement is limited, due to unionized structure.
Etant donné que cette entreprise fabrique des contenants en verre. Les conditions de travail sont plus ou moins bon pour l'être humain.
Poussière, chaleur excessive, fumé toxique ou non.

De plus, Il y avait une horaire rotative jour-nuit de 12 heures

Par contre, il y avait beaucoup de défis techniques.

Et il y avait une bonne atmosphère de travail
Work place safety and operation inspection, great communication with operators and review QA reports. It was always unscheduled task always have a backup plan for any learned to cop with the unknown and troubleshoot the obstacles and solve for solid results.
Pros
Gain experience
Cons
On call responce