Nutrien logo

Clear
Work-life balance
2.8

Good pay for the work

Great place to work if you're looking to make some money and be home every night. But keep an eye on your paycheck as payroll has a habit of always making mistakes and missing time on your paycheck.

Pros

Great pay great days off lots of vacation time

Cons

Poor management terrible payroll department

Top heavy

Top heavy, especially in the corporate offices. 10 managers or directors for every 1 employee. This means lots of decision making and no one to do the work. Constant big ideas from higher-ups with no consideration of who’ll do the work or what else is going on that’s increasing workload. Lots of talk about “managing workload”, all lip service, zero action. Higher ups say all the right things, but only act when it’s convenient. This is a big company that acts like it’s only got 100 employees.

– 16 October 2019
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. With the formation of Nutrien, we understand the need to continue to refine our organizational structure. This includes adding talent where more help is needed, and re-organizing management positions to ensure efficiency. This effort is ongoing, and we ask for your patience as we continue to build our organization for the future. With regards to workload, we are working to address these concerns in a meaningful way. This effort started with gathering information from both leaders and individual contributors to better understand where workload issues are stemming from. In the coming months, you will see different strategies implemented that impact workload at an individual, team and organizational level. At the end of the day, we need to ensure everything we do helps us continue to be a safe company for our employees and communities.

Great Environment

positives - Great location - Work culture was great - Operations were always managed with safety in mind. Negatives - Lacked diversity - Lacked new talent

Meh

was hired to work at Nutrien for my summer internship and I'm just gonna jump into what was good about it, then tell you about why it's not the most exciting opportunity. The work-life balance is great, 4 10 hour work days is a pretty great schedule. Can't complain about that. There are a lot of perks of working there such as 1. Meaningless celebrations: you get snacks and some break time to celebrate milestones that are pretty much meaningless to yourself and everybody else. 2. The training for the first 2 weeks is pretty dry and pointless but the guys they hire to provide the training are beauty's so it totally makes up for it. 3. Free stuff (even more free stuff if you're engineer which I was not). Sometimes Nutrien will provide lunch and snacks at their meetings (mostly for the engineers though), you will get showered in Merchandise such as free coffee mugs, jackets, laptops, etc. 4. Staff can be kinda nice I guess. It's really no different than any other place you work at. There's people you like and don't like. Okay now to dive into Nutriens negative traits. 1. Even though I was given a lot of free things throughout my work term, those gifts feel empty because I was never really helped by management. This is my biggest beef with Nutrien, when I completed training I was given a project that would last the whole summer. I had to windows 10 image laptops and desktops and deploy the hardware, that was it. I was pretty much just given this boring task and then never really interacted with management. I never really learned anything this summer, I was -

– 16 October 2019
Thank you for your detailed review. Feedback from temporary employees such as interns and students is valuable and always welcome. We’re glad to hear you found a strong work-life balance in your position with us, and that you had the chance to participate in some employee recognition events. We feel it’s important to recognize milestones both big and small. These activities help to build a culture of recognition, and that’s important to us. In a similar vein, providing employees with branded merchandise can increase company pride. With regards to interaction with management, our goal is always to give all our employees - including students and interns - the best work experience possible, and we recognize part of that can include working with leadership. We hope that these interactions occur, but we cannot guarantee every student will have the opportunity to interact with leadership throughout their term. Employees in these roles who would like to take on new projects and interact with their leaders are encouraged to speak with their supervisor about potential opportunities. Again, your feedback is important. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Very unprofessional

Transport is ludicrously disorganized, equipment is dated and no appreciation showed towards employees. Hard workers are constantly exploited and taken advantage of.

Pros

Excellent benedits if thats what you need

Cons

Unsociable hours from 4 AM when needed

Lots of work. Continuous Learning. Compensation could be better. Company is moving forward after a tough first post merger year.

Lots of people/workers were impacted by the pursuit of cost savings from synergies. Management is results-oriented. Lots of projects going on there's a lot of opportunities if you're looking to be involved in variety of work (this is good for young professionals). Very supportive coworkers and leaders. Drawback: No clear communication of educational support to employees. No study leave but has flex days. Compensation is reasonable based on the industry average.

Fast paced and fun workplace

Position with company was seasonal. very fast paced and enjoyable. Delivered to lots of clients and got see lots unique areas that I've never see before. Work environment was great, management was awesome to work with.

Good pay, good benefits, questionable morale, entitlement

good pay good home life balance benefits are decent Management can be disorganized Morale / rumours can be toxic if you choose to get involved.

Pros

Good money, good benefits, good job

Cons

Negativity, poor morale, entitlement

Stable job with unreasonable expectations

i worked for multiple years with the company. i was always told there was lots of help for me. found out while working management there is no help or direction. upper management just pushes numbers and thats what they see you as....a number. i did have good time under certain manager and sites but ultimately it pushed me past my breaking point when their unreal expectations lead to 18 hour days with no bonuses for the hard work put in.

Pros

stable work

Cons

no help when needed. always trying to cut money out instead of investing.

Worst company ever to get injured at

Employees beware, If you end up working for Nutrien do not get hurt, for a company who promotes equal opportunities they sure like to give false steps to employees who return from an injury that was caused at work. Worst management I’ve ever seen in Saskatchewan, Agrium should have never merged with PCS they where better off without them. Poor safety procedures, crazy how they change things the make job go faster regardless of procedure is safe or not.

Pros

Days off

Cons

Management, Safety Procedures

Jobs at Nutrien

See more jobs

Toxic environment Directors are pathetic

Worked in this environment beginning in Viterra . Once it was Agrium no good feelings in the environment Manager pits against employees not team loyalty .There is a bullying that needs to stop especially in one area This director has done this bullying over and over she is discreet but brutal . No value or protection to the employee run and never look back. Your health is so much more than holding a job and being treated horribly and Hr does nothing but cover it up

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Constantly told your overpaid and replaceable

Disaster waiting to happen

No real concern about the future from the leadership at this company. Reliability on a downhill slope, dismissed 70% of the safety group that struggled against managements desire to drive false metrics. The worst culture of any company I’ve ever worked for. Managers bounce from chair to chair, hacking and slashing as they go leaving workers and staff frustrated as they ladder climb to the security of the corporate office. New philosophy is to run-to-failure (real statement from leaders) so things obviously come apart daily in unpredictable ways. Mines branch has them on a watch list for a reason. Many people stressed and spend time in therapy wondering how this can happen . The money is good but people are so unhappy that it drains you, toxic culture where even good people get polluted. Wow, is this really how the company wants culture?

Pros

Money

Cons

Stress, confusion, constant unnecessary layoffs of the wrong people.

Do more with less....Firefighting all day everyday, no reliability no intrest or investment in reliability

If you want to be good at your job....dont work here...you wont be able to do your job well and the 3 other jobs they give you as staff. Worst site I have ever been on. Like the Beverly hillbillies. They had money when potash prices were driven up. Completed projects to 90% then never followed up on the details that keep you running long term and without having to put out fires daily. Always lacking spare parts. Not one single person dedicated to reliability of the plant. Catastrophic failures that management looks at and says huh....should have seen that. How do you not expect a fiberglass tank that runs 24hrs a day 300days a year at 90deg C not to fail...after 15 year of service and no real inspections or Maintenance...finding out later that there were flaws in it along with the lack of integrity surveys by someone that actually know these tanks....noooo let's figure that out after it failed and nearly causes a fatality.....who's fault? Nobody... The plant is falling apart around them and they wont make efforts to improve reliability. Any improvement is to be made are assigned to someone that already has too much on their plate. Hey you have two full time jobs...how bout a little more....we know you cant do any of them properly but it's your responsibility and if things go wrong it's on you. As a staff person you wont even be given a job description....so they can pile more work and responsibilities on you without any recourse...you dont like it...leave...you dont feel it's safe to be doing all of this and none of it well...leave.. Staff constantly fears for their job so they -

Pros

Gifts, pay rate, lunches

Cons

Pressure, no backing from management, constant fear for your job, dysfunctional Maintenance, ruthless HR(two pats on the back to make you confident 3rd will be a knife), dangerous operating conditions because of equipment condition and lack of preventative Maintenance, over all poor morale throughout site, disorganized unpredictable path forward, Constant firefighting

Toxic Workplace

Senior Leadership underground at this site doesn't seem to know what they are doing, shooting from the hip, lots of chaos. Which speaks to the under qualified people running the underground. Seems to be an "old boys club" that are making the decisions. Seeing a lot of good qualified staff and union people being escorted out the door. Site management seems to be focused on running an authoritarian management style. Manage with fear and intimidation in the name of safety seems to be their motto. Sure I believe this site cares about safety but uses it too much to ram other agendas through. This site pre-merger used to be a great site to work at, had a community feel to it. Now it is very corporate and cold, it doesn't matter how many years of service you have they don’t care, you are just a number in the grand scheme of things. I would recommend staying far away from this site for awhile, unless you like being intimidated by someone who doesn't have the qualifications or professionalism for the job they are in. Until the old boys club gets cleaned out, it isn’t going to get better.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Toxic Work Environment

Worst site ever

This used to be a good company before the merger but it really depends between site to site. The work environment is extremely toxic and HR will not help even when many of the workers go to them with concerns. Each department only look after themselves at the expense of the good of the site. Managers are not being held accountable for their own people's actions but protect them instead. Everyone likes to throw other people under the bus. Work attitude are toxic and with very low morale. A lot of things are done for short term gains. You report things to HR and they just brush you off like it is your problem. This site is just a mess, avoid if possible. If you are taking the job, be prepare to stop caring so you don't go crazy.

Pros

Great Pay

Cons

Garbage Culture

The worst company to ever work for

You couldn't pay me a million dollars to work for this company again, poor attitude, no safety whatsoever even tho they try to preach it, management only looks at numbers and if you dont do good enough they will fire you and hire someone to do it cheaper, NEVER WORK FOR NUTRIEN!!!

Pros

Cons

Managment, saftey, no moral, no compassion

Chaos

The new manager is a grease ball and a complete tool. The company preaches safety, but when the busy season start all that goes out the window, Agrium almost lost their business license because of so many deaths in the U.S.A . Nutrien Ag Solutions (Access) building has gone through three managers in four years, the same with lead hands.

Pros

great benefits, lots of overtime.

Cons

no time off in the summer, management is a joke.

Overall a good job to have, Things have been complicated after the merger and many were let go but things are starting to smooth out and it's not a bad place to be. I think it depends on location a lot and if you're in the retails or cooperate offices. But in my office the management it average, there is flexibility. Safety is a high priority and there are lots of opportunities to advance your training and learning. Pay an benefits are good... but calgary office has it way better. Office moral is average, and is pretty cliquey and there are really no perks like free lunches, snacks, a social committee or anything anymore... heck we don't even have a planning committee to have a Christmas party this year. The biggest down side is that I was not informed of all the work travel I would have to be doing when I signed up for the job.

Pros

pays decent, pretty easy work, flexiblity

Cons

below average moral, cliquey office, work travel wasn't disclosed

Horrible Mangement

I had to work 10 hours days and weekends to make the deadlines and I was still not appreciated for my work. Co worker told management lies about me to cover her...... Poor direction. Poor planning after merger, To many upper management on their high horses. They need to clean house. I would not recommend working in the Saskatoon Head Office. Its TOXIC!!!

Pros

good snacks

Cons

poor management, lack of direction, little communication to employees.

Great People

I was a contractor with Agrium not Nutrien, they were great people and management until the Americans took over. Good work environment no open concept environment. Learned a lot, many long term employees with great knowledge.

Pros

People

Cons

Layoff

Great work environemnt

Always have enjoyed the people I work with. The environment is always great and the support from management is good as well. Safety is very important here but is sometimes taken a little too seriously...

Pros

great managment, shift work, great pay

Cons

outside of town so the frive can get long based on where youre coming from.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nutrien. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement