Nurse Next Door Home Care Services

Canada208 reviews

Clear
2.9Pay & benefits

nurseclientdoorcaregivercareshiftflexiblestaff

Slow paced place to work

Not much room for advancement and they don't pay for mileage which really sucks because you have to do alot of driving. Management is there when you need them though and very nice .

Pros

Good management

Cons

Don't pay for mileage

Love working with Nurse Next Door

I have been with the company for seven years (with the exception of my 18 month mat leave). The only downfall is that there are no stable hours, and the pay isn't the best. But they treat you very well. If you are willing to work they have the hours for you.

Insights into Nurse Next Door Home Care Services

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Do your research

They are each individually owned as a franchise. The Nurse Next Door culture created in Vancouver is great. Does each franchise follow it the answer is NO. Pay is not great, Clients pay privately and for the cost of the services they don’t get what they pay for. Management is ok but not attentive to Clients needs until it’s to late. Not a bad place to work if you have a steady place of income already don’t rely on it for paying your bills though. VERY relaxed environment which is nice but does definitely need more structure for it’s employee’s you kind of are out there on your own. They charge Clients a monthly fee for “ extra peace of mind “ but they don’t actually provide the services only if the Client looks for another company because they are unsatisfied with NND services .

Pros

Relaxed environment

Cons

No benefits

Nurse next door is a great company to work for

Flexible hours great health care designers great clients and good pay. There is an app to keep hours care plans progresses note and schedule. Very easily to use and keeps you organized.

Disappointing Company Beware of bad management!

Shifts are picked for you without noticeShifts are dropped without noticeExtremely poor managementNo Benefits whatsoever.There are no shifts for you even if you are available full-time.

Pros

Unfortunately no Pros

Cons

Every aspect of this company goes into Cons Category.

Enjoyed working with the clients

I enjoyed working with clients. I do have to say that the wages are unacceptable in todays world with rising costs. Management were at times pushy to get you to work more hours even if you didn’t want to. Sometimes long commute between clients.

Pros

Working one on one with clients

Cons

Wages

Decent community nursing company

They try and listen to their workers - been in the city for about a decade now, one of the better agencies out there. they just need to up their pay - the starting wages are very low, but other than that I didn't have a problem working for them, lots of clientele and flexibility.

Management is great. Hours are picked up not assigned

The management is wonderful here, they care about their staff and they're always very accommodating to what you need. Hours are pick up based, you choose your own schedule. This is more of a supplemental job, for extra income. So if you're looking for full time work, this might not be for you. They always try to pair you with a client who they feel you'd do good with. Cant recommend this company enough.

I enjoy working for nurse next door

I have a few things that i would like to see nurse next door do for care giver.First of all they don't pay very well Next they don't py the extra $3.00Per hour that the government give.Also nurse next door don't acknowledge and compensate for your gas and mileage for your car.

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Always have problems with the Alayacare app and wagepoint

So not recommend

This is a private home care company. They have No benefits to offer staff.Schedule changes all the time. Clients get charged for hours that staff aren’t there sometimes.

Good place to work if you are looking for a casual position

I love working with seniors, so I enjoyed my work. Most times you don't get enough hours and some days no hour at all. You drive round the city and they do not pay for mileage.

Pros

Working to pay bill

Cons

No benefits, no bonus and no mileage payment

Great Clients and Management

Best clients. Supportive management team. You get to work with so many valuable clients with different backgrounds who are very diverse in their needs. Shifts are well scheduled and lots of hours!

Pros

Amazing clients

Cons

No benefits

okayish

unfortunately, Alberta doesn't care about home care workers. You get no breaks, no paid overtime, and no, or poor raises. the company doesnt care to help with this, they just follow the care minimum rules.

Pros

good clients

Cons

no overtime pay, no breaks, poor schedule

They don’t offer you a real job

The company has a policy to offer casual on call jobs ONLY, but you actually work as a regular part or full time employee. You have all the responsibilities of full time employee but with no benefits, training or paid holidays.It’s good as a step job or to make some extra money, but I don’t recommend it as a primary source of income (as you have no guarantees).

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

No guarantees or benefits

Great for casual work!

In my opinion this job is very good as part-time/casual work. The hours are flexible and varies depending on the amount of visits you are open to take. The managers are very nice and understanding!

Flexible fun company

Working either Nursenextdoor you get to explore, you get paid travel time and mileage. The HR check up on you to see if you’re good or need anything. I love my company.

Pros

Paid travel and mileage

Benefits

Lack of work and poor petty management

They promise a lot and deliver scraps. The support staff is very petty, rude, and very unprofessional. The shifts are short so you have to litrally work everyday just to get part time hours. No benefits, no raises, no appreciation. It's an okay job for a student but if you are an adult with adult bills, good luck making a go if it. They nickel and dime you over everything. Just a terrible company with awful support staff. Just don't.

Pros

Great clients for the most part

Cons

Lack of work, pay is low, management is very petty and rude, long drives for very short actual work time. No benefits, lower than normal pay for the job.

Frustrating

I worked for 6 months and hated nearly every minute of it. Care designers I had were for the most part great but aside from that it was chaos and disorganizing. I was constantly having to cover shifts, working long hours most days with little time between shifts. My HR was of little to no help and could be extremly rude at times. If you have no life outside of work it would be great but aside from that I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone.My biggest issue is trying to pressure the staff to work because they are short staffed. I burned out in less than a year because of it.

Pros

Cons

Extremly long hours

No Training Provided

The company is poorly run. 90% of the job is a glorified housekeeper. They provide no assistance to get on the Healthcare registry. The provide no training. During a pandemic they provide little to no PPEs and do not reimburse for supplies you buy. Promises made are not kept.

Pros

Cons

No hours. No raises. No benefits. Very little to do with healthcare

If I had an alternative I would not work with nurse Nextdoor and you can tell why with how high the staff turnover rate is.

The staff are not valued by management and they will do whatever they can to ensure you do not get all your expenses that you can claim eg. km. A caregiver can be assigned to work with clients they are not comfortable working with. It’s all about giving your time and effort to make sure nurse Nextdoor look good with very little in return for the person actually out in the field doing the work. No staff benefits

Pros

Cons

If you are late, forget to update reports etc.quick reprimand.

Poor work life balance and unfair pay, Management listen to the employees.

Zero growth opportunities, Long hours to some PSWs, Multiple small visits to Caregivers, PSW's are sent for most of the caregiver roles and vice versa, Unfair salary, Need to always keep track of paychecks and hours, No mileage provided, very poor Work life balance, Too much travelling for single hour visits on own expense. At times, management is supportive and understanding. Or sometimes they just listen to the employees and provide explanation of what they do and why . They make sure that they don't lose any client on expense of employee's work life balance and health concerns.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nurse Next Door Home Care Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement