Nurse Next Door Employee Reviews

Fun and growth towards work experience is great.
HCA (caregiver 2) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2019
Enjoying at work is the most important to an employee, and I would say that Nurse Next Door is doing a good job on helping the employees to feel confident and safe at work in every visits with our clients. Growth experience at work at the same time is great, NND's program of giving free inservices class is superb, learning for free. Staff are all friendly and approachable, and very open communication. So if you are looking for a secure job? Go and send your resume to apply and for sure you won't regret it.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Sometimes, Available clients doesn't match my availability hours.
Good job with minimal stress
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 January 2019
I provided a high level of care to seniors with severe dementia. Caregiver designed to enhance the well being if the elderly with support and dignity in everyday life. Assisting clients to achieve everyday tasks such as personal care, dressing, meal preparation, exercise, medication reminders, case management, homemaking and companionship.
Caring is definatly their talent
Care Giver (Current Employee) –  Sechelt, BC14 January 2019
Great people to work with and care deeply for the clients. Match the client with the care giver for a great fit. Decent pay and flexible hours. Strong presence in the community.
Pros
Gratifying work
Fun place, never feels like you are working!
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 December 2018
Great place great morale, you can talk to them about anything and so supportive and listen to your ideas to make Clients lives better.

Very flexible and accomidating if you need time off.
Staff, employment, patients, pay, advancement.
RPN (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON21 November 2018
Extremely enjoyable to work with NND. Easy for casual employees. Only downsides are Minimal pay, minimal hours, with no job security or advancement or pay raise. But, Patients are lovely. Always hand picked and thoroughly checked via managers.
Pros
Loving staff
Cons
Very short shifts, limited shifts, hardly any nursing shifts only PSW
An Absolute Mess
Client Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 October 2018
I had the displeasure of working with Nurse Next Door for a couple of months before walking away as a result of numerous issues including lack of communication, terrible management, lack of positive workplace culture, rampant gossip, a ridiculous amount of absenteeism and tardiness among staff, billing and payroll issues...the list goes on and on. The scheduling system is a complete and utter mess. Call center staff are constantly blamed for anything wrong with the company despite the fact most of NND's issues stem from the top down. There are constant complaints from clients being billed incorrectly and cancelling services as a result. Despite the fact I brought this up to "management" (I use the term loosely) numerous times, the issue was NEVER addressed. In addition, management does not respect your time and ask daily if staff can work overtime or during their days off. Schedules are inconsistent and change constantly due to the fact there is so much absenteeism and staff turnover. They also pay below industry average for their Caregivers and Nurses. You're expected to respond to every task and email IMMEDIATELY as everything is marked "Urgent". The job itself isn't challenging, it's just frustrating because the workload is completely unmanageable and there is no process and lack of expectations. You will get no support from "management" as the Call Centre is self-managed (uh...okay). There is no performance management, coaching or professional development. I've worked in a number of work environments with some level of chaos but nothing compares to Nurse Next Door. I honestly  more... don't understand how the company stays afloat aside from furiously selling Franchises. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!  less
Pros
Cons
Everything about this company is a con
Good employer overall
Sitter/Personal Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS24 September 2018
For casual work this employer is great. Their scheduling system which allows staff to pick their own shifts is great for people who work other jobs as well.
Their communications are excellent for a healthcare organization... never have to wait long to deal with an issue. The hourly rate is good, and travel paid for those traveling longer distances to an assignment.
Work slows in the fall, but this is the case for most staffing agencies.
Pros
Self scheduling system
Cons
No guarantee of weekly hours
lots of room to improve
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC Victoria West15 September 2018
Scheduling seems to be problematic, since receiving multiple calls and text per day, re: new jobs. Never knowing from day to day your schedule ahead of time, which contributes to rather poor work/life balance. Also, doing jobs not necessarily according to your best qualifications - demanding!
Pros
possibility of working on your terms and within your schedule
Cons
constant push to work more hours and overnight
Amazing Company To Work For!
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 September 2018
I love working with NND! Office staff are always great and easy to chat with for concerns or scheduling issues/changes. I love the values behind the company and that they strive to create perfect matches between clients and their caregivers/nurses. As a part of the team, I have the opportunity to make a difference in each of my clients lives by shaping my care around not only their care needs, but around their lifestyle and how I can make a difference in their lives every day. They really are "Making Lives Better".
Pros
Continuity of Care, Flexible Hours
Cons
No permanent positions/benefits
Nice workplace
Personal Suppor Worker (Former Employee) –  Courtice, ON4 July 2018
Great management. So understanding and always putting their staff and clients first.
When the client has a b-day they always come by with gifts and a nice card. They visit each client and staff on occasion.
They always remember all their staffs b-days and at Christmas they make each employee know how appreciated they are with....gift cards and never forgetting to tell everyone that works for them
They make sure staff and clients are a good match and everyone feels so appreciated.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
pay is low
Great team and work environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 July 2018
Love what the company stands for. Everyone is so understanding and appreciative of your work efforts. I feel valued as an employee. Wish I could get to know other employees as there is little to no opportunity for that. Sometimes shifts are canceled and. You're out of work. Offered short shifts far distances mostly which is hard because I'd like to work for them more often.
fun
casual Health care aide (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 June 2018
flexible hours, meeting other people and learned to go other places management are supportive, easy to cope with, driving to clients places, giving care to the client.
typical day at work
Care Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK16 May 2018
Since there was no way of advancement in my position it seemed like a dead end. The management had a very high turnover rate so it was hard to get any help ever. The only good thing was the benefit package.
Okay
Nurse Aide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 April 2018
Poor delegation of clients, not enough attention paid to the clients needs and the nurse provided.

Not multiple occasions paired with clients twice to three times my size , non verbal and violent and expected to manage alone
To build trust?
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC2 April 2018
Was hired here in a nursing role, but was offered a two way contract, one being an HCA and the other a nurse. I said I wasn’t interested in working as an HCA unless they were short staffed. They informed me they were desperately short and needed more care staff. That being said, if I were to work as an HCA I’d be getting paid as an HCA, not as a nurse, which is standard practice. When I raised concern over this she told me I needed to build trust and confidence with the schedulers first. I left. My only regret is that this happened after I sat through their orientation for free.
Pros
You get unpaid orientation...oh wait pros...no. none.
Cons
Ethics, pay, communication and reliability
good working environment
Home Care Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 March 2018
working with nurse next door means feeling working in your own business, feel job secured , have an awesome stuffs and friendly
thus why I have working with NND this much amount of years
Great Place to Work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2018
Management is kind, caring, and encourages growth! You have to work hard and good things will come to you. The team is great and everyone is positive.
Unhappy workplace
Care coordinator (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC5 March 2018
Unhappy workplace!! I have never in my life experienced so much discusting bad talking about “you name it stuff”. There are wonferful caregivers working, but nobody seems to appreciate them..or maybe yes, if they are willing to work between 7am-9pm and can work 2 hour shifts when needed. If/when caregivers call themselves sick, they are liars.
Micromanaging owners who aren’t on the same page. No flexibility towards staff, but staff has to be flexible. This office is understaffed and overworked. They sell it as a challenging job. It means you get $17/hour &are so busy you can barely use the washroom! Job itself not challenging. It will start repeating itself fairly quickly. Apply if you want to be constantly answering the phone.
People resigning, and no wonder.
Pros
Days repeat themselves
Cons
Too many
Extremely poor company.
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 February 2018
The WORST company ever, the management in my cares about how much they can take home and make sure there life is well taken care of! It's about how the owners can make there fancy car payments and house payments! The pay is absolutely horrible and the working conditions are so brutal! All if the directors and board members think they own the company and they the don't it's a franchised company!! WORST PLACE EVER!!!
Pros
Cons
omg way to long to list!
Poor pay
Director of Nursing/Care Designer (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON14 February 2018
This company has great values but depending on the franchise owner that you're working with it's not worth the hassle no work-life balance long hours when you're being paid peanuts psws make more more than you with the hours that you end up working
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nurse Next Door. Our community is ready to answer.