Nova Vita Domestic Violence Prevention Services
Nova Vita Domestic Violence Prevention Services Employee Review

Rewarding

1 March 2016
Volunteering at Nova Vita has been very rewarding. The other volunteers and employee's are very passionate and welcoming.
28 September 2019
Donor Relations and Communications Manager (Former Employee) - Brantford, ON
Lacking strong leadership. Chaotic work environment. Toxic from the Board of Directors down through management. Turnover prevents consistency and team building.
Pros
Provides essential services
Cons
Lacks Integrity.
31 December 2018
Store Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee) - Brantford, ON
Started as a volunteer in their boutique Closet Couture in Sept 2013; worked part time from March 2014, managed the store February 2015-October 2018. LOVE the people at Nova Vita; respect is given across the board, whether you are a volunteer, staff or client. The services offered to clients are exceptional and include not just safe shelter and all needs while there, but also free counselling for anyone in the community, a comprehensive perpetrators program, court assistance, housing assistance, employment opportunities and peer support. The job was very rewarding; customers are appreciative of the atmosphere, exceptional clothing and accessories for sale at great prices, and the cause it supports. Volunteers are all well-vetted and invest so much time, heart and labour! It can be physically demanding - being on your feet for hours, lugging bags of heavy clothing and also up and down step ladders. But it is a very fun job and suits someone who is customer service focused and speaks well. I learned so much about domestic violence and its effect on our community, how a non-profit runs, and also how to problem-solve with others in a respectful and non-confrontational way. I learned a lot about other community resources as well, as the monthly meetings often involve speakers from other organizations. For me the hardest part of the job became the wear and tear on my body, and if I hadn't undertaken strength training on my own time it would have done some damage. My most enjoyable part of the job for me was the people - I made many lasting friendships! Also the opportunities - more...
15 October 2015
Co-op Student (Former Employee) - Brantford, ON
I thoroughly enjoyed my time here as a co-op student and as a volunteer. The ladies who work here are amazing! I mostly sorted donations which could get tiring after a while but ultimately it was rewarding.
Pros
helping people
Cons
small space for sorting donations