Nova Scotia Power

Nova Scotia Power Pay & benefits reviews

Clear
4.1Pay & benefits

If you work hard for them they work for you.

NSP was a really good company to work for. Good wages and benefits. But I suffered in the work/life balance area. The management team tries their hardest to be accommodating.

Good Pay but bad for health

Made above average wage with good benefits and a shares option. Schedule for Power Engineers is great (4/6). Unfortunately, with the transition away from coal the experience in the generating stations is going downhill fast. Seem to be taking every opportunity to shed "extra" union personnel so retraining costs are mitigated. Lots of investigations and even spying by corporate security have been reported. They have senseless sick time policies and will request Dr's notes even if you don't break them. Funny thing is most of the issues seem to be generated by middle management and not upper management who have done a better than expected job of being transparent during early stages of transition.All that being said, co-workers working on the transmission side seem to have far more favourable opinions.

Pros

Wage and Schedule

Cons

Depends on the departement, the manager, and avilable work at the time

Depends on your attitude and what you are looking for out of your career, if you want an 8-4 job without caring for what you do or be part of the decision making proces, doing the right thing by customers, etc... then this is the right job for you if you can push back on being bullied to do more than is fair.

Pros

good pay, benefits and best in NS

Cons

toxic enviroment, very competitive, manupulative management

Okay not the best

Dirty plants and bad work conditions for long term health. The company needs new management fresh ideas and a culture change .I would stay clear of these plants no long term future in coal fired generation.

Best job possible in Nova Scotia

Excellent salary, safety mindset company. Lots of very knowledgeable tradesmen and great opportunity to grow. Enjoyed my time here very much, would love to work here as a fulltime technician.

Pros

Salary, very cool job, build knowledge

Cons

difficult to get a fulltime job for a young guy in the E&I field, labour pool very hard to get a hold of

co op power engineer

good spot to work. was a very relaxed place with no pressure. management i guess is the same where ever you work. lots of down time and travel to other areas is required

Good part time job

I got in easy, mowed their lawns once a week for $100 each mow. It was easy enough and I got to pick my own hours, I just had to now it sometime over the week so it wasn't a needy job.

Pros

Getting to choose my own hours

good employer

Worked there for over 6 years. Great co workers, great benefits package and you also get paid vacation. Company is trying to cut costs therefore other parts of the company lack the proper resources to provide quality service. makes it difficult to do your job

Pros

co workers, benefit package

Fast paced, demanding workplace

Rotating shifts. always learning new skills, very customer driven, great co-workers and team leads, hardest part of the job was the rotating shifts and the work/family life balance, most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers, salary and the benifits

Pros

bonus cheques each year

Cons

rotating shifts

very productive and organized outfit

management and co-workers were great people to work with. Salary and Hours were very rewarding .

Customer & Employee centered company when privately owned

Enjoyed my career with the utility they are a good company to work for. Good work environment, Good salary and benifits

Pros

Fellow employees

Cons

Adverse weather

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nova Scotia Power. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7Job security/advancement