Nova Scotia Power

Nova Scotia Power Employee Reviews

If you work hard for them they work for you.

NSP was a really good company to work for. Good wages and benefits. But I suffered in the work/life balance area. The management team tries their hardest to be accommodating.

Good Pay but bad for health

Made above average wage with good benefits and a shares option. Schedule for Power Engineers is great (4/6). Unfortunately, with the transition away from coal the experience in the generating stations is going downhill fast. Seem to be taking every opportunity to shed "extra" union personnel so retraining costs are mitigated. Lots of investigations and even spying by corporate security have been reported. They have senseless sick time policies and will request Dr's notes even if you don't break them. Funny thing is most of the issues seem to be generated by middle management and not upper management who have done a better than expected job of being transparent during early stages of transition.All that being said, co-workers working on the transmission side seem to have far more favourable opinions.

Pros

Wage and Schedule

Cons

Depends on the departement, the manager, and avilable work at the time

Depends on your attitude and what you are looking for out of your career, if you want an 8-4 job without caring for what you do or be part of the decision making proces, doing the right thing by customers, etc... then this is the right job for you if you can push back on being bullied to do more than is fair.

Pros

good pay, benefits and best in NS

Cons

toxic enviroment, very competitive, manupulative management

Okay not the best

Dirty plants and bad work conditions for long term health. The company needs new management fresh ideas and a culture change .I would stay clear of these plants no long term future in coal fired generation.

Collaborative team

I like the work with the document Control team. They are amazing people, helpful, kind and sweet. They also answer and help me a lot when I ask them any question.

Stressful environment. What was expected of an employee was beyond.

I worked a term position in Meter Services, Sackville, NS location. The work load (amount of meters read per route) expected of an individual was beyond. On top of that, the supervisor/manager of Meter Services was a degrading bully and would lash out at the team when she was having a bad day. I truly believe companies loose good employees because of poor and demotivating management.

great company to be part of

Good company overall with safety as top priority good benefit and lots of opportunities to grow. I would definitely recommend this company for anyone that wants to work for stable and well established company in NS and abroad.

Well balanced work environment

Management understands people, they don't see you as a number, but a person. Conversion and team-work is important to complete tasks. Depending on your position you may be required to be on call to help with power troubles during storms. Though they do highly value your safety and are not unreasonable.

Awesome place to work. The culture is wonderful and the opportunity for growth and advancement is always there. Management is awesome, and always looking to take on co-op students, and/or young professionals.

Pros

Flexible hours, fun spot to be

Cons

Outage

Best place to work

Nice to work on projects. this is a very good company but all depends on the manager you are working under. NS Power is affiliate company of Emera company.

Jobs at Nova Scotia Power

See more jobs

would recommend

an excellent place to start a career but the administration process is long. I had the opportunity to work at NSP as a co-op student. I gained valuable experience.

Amazing

NS Power is an amazing company to work for. They value their employees, there is room for improvement and they offer job security. Management genuinely cares about you and your well being. Amazing work environment

call center

Handle a large volume of inbound telephone calls, especially for taking orders and providing customer service. administer incoming product support or information enquiries from consumers. Individual communications, including letters, faxes, and e-mail.

Best job possible in Nova Scotia

Excellent salary, safety mindset company. Lots of very knowledgeable tradesmen and great opportunity to grow. Enjoyed my time here very much, would love to work here as a fulltime technician.

Pros

Salary, very cool job, build knowledge

Cons

difficult to get a fulltime job for a young guy in the E&I field, labour pool very hard to get a hold of

Excellent company (no longer active)

A company created for a transmission line project that now only has minimal staff for maintenance and close-out. Enjoyed working with all co-workers. The job was challenging and exciting.

Work term

- Tool box / safety meetings, recording pressures, temperatures & vibrations. - To always have your eye opened to prevent maintenance. keep your work place tide. Inspect task & identify problems. - - Friendly environment - Nothing overwhelming hard. Just always being on the ball. - Asking questions and learning the processes

Positive and fun loving environment

We will have invoice ready which are suppose to be processed for that day, they are sorted and given to the processors. Management is very supportive and was encourage everyone giving their best.

supportive environment

Recognize employees for the work they do. Corporate culture but still relaxed. Amazing building - lots of natural light. Innovative and encourages new ideas. Contract position.

Great place to work.

Great place to work. Great work life balance. However, hard to move up the ladder unless you have the right people above you. Politics are apparent however this expected in such a corporation.

excellent company but hard to advance

Work/life balance in my department was excellent, lots of flexibility around hours and we were trusted to get our work done - no micromanagement. I was well qualified to work several advancing roles but did not receive opportunity for interviews as a lot of working here and moving up is about who you know. Overall a great company with fantastic people.

Pros

Flexibility, coworkers

Cons

Mandatory overtime during outages

very friendly people

Everyone is willing to help and answer questions. Very welcoming environment. Lots of fun activities like bbq parties, holiday activities, etc.. I learned a lot in my experience there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nova Scotia Power. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7Job security/advancement