Nova Scotia Health Authority
Happiness score is 60 out of 100

Nova Scotia Health Authority Employee Reviews

Bad place to work for if you are foreign-trained RN. Does not recognize RN experience outside Canada. Deplorable. Generally, Nova Scotians are nice. Pen and paper charting.
Pros
Job security, sponsored specialty trainings
Cons
Under funded
Pay is decent, long/quick days as it can be super busy and sometimes slow. No complaints but if you want to progress or change your department, seniority, union and all things are hurdles. It took me more than 6 months to secure my education related work and I started as a casual over again.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Seniority stops you to progress despite education
I work with the linen department. I have also worked with food services, and porter services and I had good experiences with both departments. NSHA is a good company
Pros
Lots of paid leaves
Cons
Can't think of any. Fabulous place to work
Unless you get a permanent position off the bat you'll be a casual relief for at least a year. Room for advancement but job security for casuals is nil. If you like chaos, being looked at by Drs., Nurses, and management like you are worthless and not worthy of being talked to ,this is the place for you. Worst 5 work years of my life .
Pros
Become immune to ebola within the first year
Cons
Need to get sick to become immune to everything lol.
I like working with nsha. My coworkers are great. I am able to practice my skills. It is a very fulfilling job. I am casual so I get to pick and choose my shifts. There are lots of positions being posted for nsha.
Pros
Flexible schedule for casuals
Cons
The hiring process is BRUTAL. Takes several weeks for management to get their ducks in a row. Training during covid was pretty much non existent. ...
Pros
good money
Cons
no parking
Working in Healthcare can be a very hostile and stressful environment. Not worth what they pay you. Nurses and some staff who've been there for a long time make you feel like your beneath them at times, can become very annoying and uncomfortable.Work/life balance can be decent if you don't work full time. You can get significant time off etc.
Pros
Certain coworkers that you become friends with over time, supervisors are understanding and accommodate your schedule when needed
Cons
Long hours, nasty coworkers, hostile environment, no help from managers when there are issues
My position as a Covid-19 Site Screener has definitely been interesting, to say the least - definitely a plus if you like dealing with people in a repetitive nature.As this project is as a result of the on-going pandemic, there is a lot of learning as you go. If you can be professional, don't mind saying the same spiel over and over, this might be the job for you.
Food service is generally always hiring so it is an easy way to get a unionized position and it introduces you to most of the hospital. You have to be constantly looking for a permanent position the whole time you are working and you get the ‘carrot on a stick’ routine with management saying there may be positions opening up and then the last minute they say no. The permanent staff can basically do and say whatever they want and will talk over you at meetings. The temp staff have their work nitpicked about the smallest things. It is very exhausting to be held to a higher standard while doing the same job as a permanent employee. You get called constantly on your days off and sometimes have to say no to a shift TWICE. Reporting things is a nightmare and makes you think twice about bothering because nothing is done about anything. If you can tolerate this for a few years (!) you might get a chill permanent job but it’s a struggle.
Pros
union, some jobs have a pension
Cons
the health insurance is terrible, rude permanent employees, being rushed constantly
NSHA is a great workplace. Great management and environment. Only con is that it takes a long time to get permanent full time due to seniority. Would definitely recommend to someone that would not mind starting out as a casual worker.
Pros
Workplace, pay, Environment, Management
Cons
Hard to get a full time permanent job
The workplace is great, lots of patients and working with the same staff daily. You learn new skills and get to develop previous ones. Shifts can range from 8 - 12 with opportunity of working over time. Staff can be hard when working with other members of the health care team but it is very rewarding!
Pros
Patients
Cons
this is a great job with amazing benefits and great co-workers however the job is a politically charged environment with lots of emphasis on local standing.
Pros
great benefits decent hours lots of opportunity for overtime
Cons
politically charged, poor work life balance
I enjoyed my positions on three units. The staff were hardworking and tried their best to meet patient needs. As in any environment, there are a small few that do not meet the same criteria
NFS within Central Zone of NSHA is poorly managed. Utility workers are deeply unhappy with communications of room service transition from upper management, and lower management is overworked, often being forced to do the work of utility workers due to staffing shortages that cannot be resolved until the reason behind high turnover rate is addressed.
I have worked in many departments within the NSHA and favouritism and nepotism are definitely part of the work environment. Managers micro-manage even though the majority of them never have done the lower level jobs at all.
Fast paced environment Always learning new skills and tasks daily The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the workload demand and doing it safely The most enjoyable part of the job is the relationship I have with my supportive co-works and patients
I've worked in BC, Manitoba, Ontario and Nova Scotia. By far the salary and work-life balance have been superior working and living in Nova Scotia. Colleagues on the work team are truly collaborative and respectful. Great salary and benefits, too.
As a new grad, I experienced nothing but bullying from both positions I held with NSHA. Not only from co-workers but mostly from managers. Very unsupportive, unkind and sometimes very unprofessional
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Bullying, poor management, poor staffing ratios
Enjoy working here. Benefits and salary for full time/ permanent employees are quite good for Cape Breton. It is a safe, friendly place to work. Also the backing of a union.
I loved my job, my husband had a job transfer therefore I had to leave mine. rewarding team work. shift work, great team to work with, approachable management.
When the operation changed from the district system to the one authority , all personal touches went out the window, no longer did management care about staff because they never knew staff, reporting structure went down the tubes, I think in retrospect it has caused a lot more issues than ever anticipated without the huge monetary savings that were forecasted.