Nova Scotia Health Authority
Happiness score is 68 out of 100

Nova Scotia Health Authority Employee Reviews

Canada125 reviews

A great place to work if you have experience to advance but if not it takes time to climb the ladder. Benefits are good if you have a certain percent position.

Great workplace

Great place to work, lots of benefits, always learning something new and meeting new people from all backgrounds. The work feels very meaningful, however, there is a totem pole to climb, which is expected.

Pros

Benefits, flexibility

Cons

Inconsistent schedule

Insights into Nova Scotia Health Authority

Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

One of the most unorganized organizations I've ever worked in

So top-down that noone gets anything done. They want to be innovative, but their org structure is archaic and their communication is dreadful. They want to be evidence based but everything they do is just based on what 'the boss' wants, not what the evidence says.

Think very, very hard before accepting an offer here.

NSHA is just an OK place to work. The salary, job security, and benefits are the only good things this employer has to offer. You will, in time, be disgusted by the bloat and dormancy that is universally accepted, and promoted. It is a very middle-management heavy organization, yet for all the management, no one wants to make a decision and there is no accountability. Collective agreements are barely followed, and barely upheld, consider it have no union representation. Amalgamation has stalled which is funny because it never got started. There is little interest in changing for the better or being efficient. There is a very strong hierarchy here too, good luck if you're near the bottom because you will barely be appreciated or respected. You will not be working for a cutting edge, patient and healthcare focused, and innovative organization. Money is never spent in the right direction. All of this is the biggest contributor to why healthcare access and quality is poor in this province. If you can sometimes show up, do the bare minimum, ignore how poorly it is ran, ignore the cultural issues, and appreciate job security with a decent pension and benefits, you'll be okay.

Pros

Benefits, pension, and income

Cons

Management attitude

Great work place

Great work environment, very supportive team work. Lots of skills to learn on a daily basis . Great work hours , wage and benefits. Overall great company to work for.

Could use some more cultural awareness

Stable job to have. Can be a hit or miss depending on which unit you are in. So you can either have great work environment but not much for management. I find that most people are oblivious to other cultural norms

High impact/high stress work

You could argue that heath care is chronically underfunded and most positions are spread quite thin, but there is a lot of opportunity there. Top-down decision making is common, and with no slack time in the work, it is difficult to proactively solve problems. That said, the work is rich and rewarding, and often lets you put some good out into the world.

Pros

Doing meaningful work that helps many people.

Cons

Frequent reorganization, high workloads

Always nursing jobs available

Difficult to judge with the pandemic impact, as in most healthcare staffing is an ongoing problem but they do their best to fill vacancies. Large building and difficult building relationships outside of your own unit.

Not a great experience

Did not enjoy working for NSHA. The overall culture is quite negative. Compensation after deductions (benefits, vacation, pension) is essentially minimum wage.

Good place to work !

For the most part it is a good place to work at. Management is supportive and in my experience, coworkers on the units I’ve worked on work as a team.

Stressful working operations, short-staffed

Covid has decimated the landscape and most positions are now short staffed. High burnout rate and poor training. Was at one time a fun place to work but the good old days are over.

Cons

long days, angry patients

Stressful

A good place to work. room for growth. The pay does not align with living wage in Nova Scotia. Co workers are nice and helpful most times. Can be very stressful and busy

Pros

Room for growth

a good place to work

long term with internal advancement opportunitiesgreat benefits packageflexible work hours.........................................................

Repetitive tasks

The job is repetitive, and boring at times. However, I love my cooworkers and overall team. 12 hour shifts allow me to have more days off, although working every second weekend isn't the best. The pay could be higher but the benefits are pretty good.

I enjoyed the work, training was available as well.

There is a tolerance of abusive behaviour and bulling that was not adequately addressed. This makes for a unwholesome a and very stressful environment.

Felt a sense of accomplishment

Fun place to work, stressful at times. Helpful staff. Great work crew and always there for you to help in any way. I wish it was full time because I miss working there. Very rewarding place.

Pros

Great people to work with and awesome managers

Cons

Job ended too quick

Poor management

Government hospitals work. Not collaborative, Work in silos.Poor leadership Toxic work environment Lack of resources No sense of purpose

Pros

Flex hours

Nice place to work for career

overall, I have a good relationship to work with staff even though we have a rough year with Covid-19 care at my floor. I am forward to see myself to work in different area due to the skills and experience I have at NSHA since 2000.

Cons

12hrs

Ctp

I worked at CTP in lower sackville stay away they are associated with quest your options don’t matter and in safe work environment very aggressive clients staff are attacked with no changes from management they just ignore the problems

Pros

Free parking

Working with NSHA Iis great experience

To be working with novascotia health authority is really good experience as the work environment is really friendly and helpful , every one is welling to help and assest .Good managment and very helpful

Toxic environment

A toxic work environment that affected my work performance. People arguing all the time and not acting professionally. Would not recommend them at all. Management were appalling.

Pros

Good health benefits

Cons

New management needed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nova Scotia Health Authority. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement