Nova Scotia Health Authority Employee Reviews

Nsha
Health Administration Resident (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 July 2018
While I was with the NSHA for only a short time it was transformational in that they were shifting their care delivery system from nine district health authorities to one provincial authority.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
resistance to change
Great place to work. Great rapport with patients and coworkers
Secretary/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS21 June 2018
Job is very demanding but also very rewarding. I love the patients and my coworkers. Very nice health centre and great location (in a Mall) Great benefit package and wage. Just not enough hours, therefore seeking employment
Pros
Working with a wonderful team, gaining experience, great benefit package, unionized
Cons
Can be stressful and overwhelming at times
Great place
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS6 June 2018
great pay, accommodating to changing shifts and understanding when needing time off. Always allowing you to learn and attend events to help you progress in your career
Very hot place to work
Cca (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia27 May 2018
The buildings are old .Very hot to work in . And equipment needs to be updated. Good benefits
Heard on you
emotionally mentally and physically. Can become very depressing and demanding always working short not enough staff
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Mentally and physically demanding
Very little room for advancement
Allied Health (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS15 May 2018
Advancement is only given either by seniority but more commonly by nepotism. System is failing due to ineffective management who are not above asking illegal requests. Union violations occur frequently, but the union has no teeth in protecting the employees and retribution within the rules of the contract does occur.

Salaries are fair for the region and job security is very high, but individuals who should never work within healthcare are never removed.
Pros
Decent wages, secure job
Cons
Poor management, overworked, understaffed, not interested in changing
Busy out-patient Services
Physiotherapist (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 April 2018
Busy Service requiring balance between in and out-patients. Patients are prioritzed by need according to district wide standards. On-going education and team work are required.
Good place if you're looking for a good job
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS25 March 2018
Steady work, low expectations. Organization has low technical competence and fear of technology, relying on external consultants to make decisions. Internal expertise is not fostered, nor welcome.

Take your job, do your hours, for interesting stuff, find a side project.
Pros
Not concerned with IP constraints
Cons
System change not welcome
Fun work place
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 March 2018
Great company and all co workers are treating respect to each other. Company giving good benifits loke medical dental and pension plans. Also we have vactions and sickness time.
Pros
Free Uniforms
Cons
Professional working environment. I was given everything needed to do my job in a professional manor.
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Pugwash, NS11 March 2018
Good employer with excellent benefits. Professional working environment which provided everything I needed to carry out my duties in a professional manor.
Public Health Nurse
Public Health Nurse - Health Protection (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS3 March 2018
NSHA is currently going through a restructure and the culture has not shifted yet to reflect a just culture that the current CEO has promoted to the individuals working in the organization. This shift takes time, these skills are developed through experience and the organization is currently still developing.
Pros
willing to listen and invite feedback.
Cons
Staffing issues
sexist managers
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS28 February 2018
if you are male, you wont (for the most part) get hired here. they have the odd token male but it is a non-male dominated workforce and they arent letting go.

i have seen qualified male candidates declined over new grads. managers will look for someone that kowtows to them. these same managers are unbelievably rude and condescending to male staff called in from local agencies.

i have been watching this for years and it is disheartening to see so many (but not all) men head elsewhere as soon as they can.
Pros
that the men get to escape
Cons
everything
Extremely racist hiring policies!!!
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 February 2018
If you are hoping to make a career doing entry level jobs and you are Caucasian, you might want to apply elsewhere.
Assets when applying are being part of a visible minority, being mentally or physically handicapped, or being trans-gender.
Terribly filthy place to work, with horribly racist hiring policies!!!
is a stressful environment
Mental Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 February 2018
There is a divide between management and staff, trust is a huge issue. When issues are brought to their attention nothing is done. it can be a toxic work environment.
Pros
great staff
productive and Good place environment
Porter (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS10 February 2018
Most days can be very stressful when short of staff, But what i've learnt is to stay clam when under pressure. Hardest part of my job is canceling patients appointment because of staff shortage. Most enjoyable part of my job is when completing a stressful day while short of staff.
Pros
Having good relationships with staff
Cons
lack of communication
Account
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 January 2018
I work with all diligence and all sincerity in the work and higher I am all daily pursuits complement and nothing to be tired of
I work to get information and money
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Full time
Friendly environment
Casual Worker (Current Employee) –  NS28 November 2017
Positions always being posted and room for advancement within the building. Hiring for positions is based on seniority only so it's hard to get a position until you've established seniority, regardless of qualifications.
Rewarding place to work
Continuing Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  alc unit2 November 2017
My day consists of getting 8 patients (residents) ready for there day. This could consists of just setting them up for breakfast or totally doing everything for them. My job is to make them feel good, like they mean something to someone. I have learned that life is not easy it throws you curve balls all the time. It has made me a stronger person, my job is very rewarding to me because when I go home each nite I know I did whatever I could to make that persons day a better day for them. I helped someone that needed the help. I would not be in the profession if I didn't care about people. You really have to be a certain type of person to do this job. It is so rewarding to see the smiles on the faces of these people. This job can also be stressful mentally and physically, emotional, very rewarding and depressing. I know when I leave everyday I did my best for each and everyone of these people.
Pros
Very rewarding
Cons
Can be depressing at times
Its a fun place to work.
Care Team Assistant (Current Employee) –  Simpson Landing, IWK30 October 2017
Its a harmonious work environment that makes you want to come to work daily. My superiors as well as my colleagues make the welcoming. Mutual respect is adhered to.
Pros
Discounted healthy meal options.
Cons
Expensive Staff parking rates.
Changes for the worse when the districts merged
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS15 September 2017
Hard to get permanent job.

The unions don't do anything for you unless you are full time.

Parking at the Regional hospital is hard to find for staff and employees should't have to pay for parking.
Great opportunity
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 August 2017
I was able to complete a student co-op here. It was a great earning experience and I really enjoyed my time. I would recommend this to any nursing student interested in mental health!