Nova Scotia Health Authority

Nova Scotia Health Authority Employee Reviews

Canada86 reviews
Fast paced
Fast paced environment
Always learning new skills and tasks daily

The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the workload demand and doing it safely

The most enjoyable part of the job is the relationship I have with my supportive co-works and patients
Across Canada, this has been my best professional opportunity by far!
I've worked in BC, Manitoba, Ontario and Nova Scotia. By far the salary and work-life balance have been superior working and living in Nova Scotia.

Colleagues on the work team are truly collaborative and respectful.

Great salary and benefits, too.
Poor Management
As a new grad, I experienced nothing but bullying from both positions I held with NSHA. Not only from co-workers but mostly from managers. Very unsupportive, unkind and sometimes very unprofessional
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Bullying, poor management, poor staffing ratios
Great place to work.
Enjoy working here. Benefits and salary for full time/ permanent employees are quite good for Cape Breton. It is a safe, friendly place to work. Also the backing of a union.
opportunity to continuously learn
I loved my job, my husband had a job transfer therefore I had to leave mine. rewarding team work. shift work, great team to work with, approachable management.
Stressful
When the operation changed from the district system to the one authority , all personal touches went out the window, no longer did management care about staff because they never knew staff, reporting structure went down the tubes, I think in retrospect it has caused a lot more issues than ever anticipated without the huge monetary savings that were forecasted.
Short Staffed
Found working here very stressful. Manager not easy to get along with. Very short staffed causing staff to be burnt out. Work atmosphere tense and unwelcoming.
Stable employment and excellent benefits
The benefits and pension plans are both phenomenal. Stable employment, as it's the largest employer in Nova Scotia and healthcare always seems to remain relatively reliable. Great workplace.
Great staff to work with
Great opportunity for a young person to advance. I worked there in all the hospitals for nearly fifteen years. The experiences I had at all different levels of care were great.
Pros
Vacation and health benefits
Good Job
This job was great, although it was casual so I had to basically be on call at all times. Eventually they were giving me only 3 hour shifts 5 days a week and it wasnt enough.
Good work being performed at the institution
Good office environment, productive work. Procedures and policies need tightening up to better assist researchers. Needed reorganization will provide better service.
Need to be strong minded
Be able to handle death well. If you can then you will be fine working there , as long as you also can work hard and fast. The are 12 hour shifts but time does go really fast while you are there.
good work environment
Team orientated.
Room to move up.

Supportive leaders

Education opportunities

Change managment

Could be challenging at times

Great employees

Alound to work in differnt capacities within organization
poor managemnet
No responsibility for staff or safety, poor working conditions and poor patient care. Staff working without training. Major hazard s to kitchen staff because of faulty equipement,
Great company to work with. I would advise anyone to apply.
It was an overall great experience working with the Nova Scotia Health Authority. Being fresh out of college at the time, my co-worker were so welcoming and easy to get along with and this made for a healthy work environment. I learnt a lot from the short time working there. What i found most difficult was navigating the EMR system but overtime I learnt how.
excellent team work
Team work is excellent.
Management is great.

Providing care to individuals and their families are rewarding.

Fast-paced work setting

Wages are competitive.
I love my job at NSHA
If you are looking for a job in Halifax and are flexible then NSHA is fantastic. There’s lots of room to grow if you apply yourself and great benefits.
Wonderful
It was challenging at times, but great staff. It really helps to learn more about time management when wanting to work for a health care company. Sometimes stressful, but worth it
productive
prep, cook, tray up and serve food to the patients in a Hospital setting, collect trays, do dishes clean the kitchen, start prep for next meal as well as serve the counter.
Busy fast paced environment
Team-work, dedication, collaborative care.
Management is easy to approach and provides great support. Great hard-working nurses.

Working with patients is the best part of the job
Great job for someone who doesn't mind a lot of walking and is a people person.
A very good job with an excellent wage and meet lots of different people while working with different nursing units. Great job if you don't mind walking and are a people person.
We are part of the NSGEU and as such get great benefit, pension and paid time off.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nova Scotia Health Authority. Our community is ready to answer.