Nova Scotia Health Authority

• Energizing work tasks
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

a good place to work

long term with internal advancement opportunitiesgreat benefits packageflexible work hours.........................................................

Repetitive tasks

The job is repetitive, and boring at times. However, I love my cooworkers and overall team. 12 hour shifts allow me to have more days off, although working every second weekend isn't the best. The pay could be higher but the benefits are pretty good.

I enjoyed the work, training was available as well.

There is a tolerance of abusive behaviour and bulling that was not adequately addressed. This makes for a unwholesome a and very stressful environment.

Felt a sense of accomplishment

Fun place to work, stressful at times. Helpful staff. Great work crew and always there for you to help in any way. I wish it was full time because I miss working there. Very rewarding place.

Pros

Great people to work with and awesome managers

Cons

Job ended too quick

Poor management

Government hospitals work. Not collaborative, Work in silos.Poor leadership Toxic work environment Lack of resources No sense of purpose

Pros

Flex hours

Nice place to work for career

overall, I have a good relationship to work with staff even though we have a rough year with Covid-19 care at my floor. I am forward to see myself to work in different area due to the skills and experience I have at NSHA since 2000.

Cons

12hrs

Ctp

I worked at CTP in lower sackville stay away they are associated with quest your options don’t matter and in safe work environment very aggressive clients staff are attacked with no changes from management they just ignore the problems

Pros

Free parking

Working with NSHA Iis great experience

To be working with novascotia health authority is really good experience as the work environment is really friendly and helpful , every one is welling to help and assest .Good managment and very helpful

Toxic environment

A toxic work environment that affected my work performance. People arguing all the time and not acting professionally. Would not recommend them at all. Management were appalling.

Pros

Good health benefits

Cons

New management needed

Teamwork makes the dream work.

The staff is very respectful of each other and willing to assist no matter the profession. Everyone assists each other and make the patients feel welcomed and special. I do work with a good medical professional team.

Great place to work.

Nsha has good pay, a good union, great people and great lunch breaks. A typical day is around 10 hours of handing out masks, asking people to sanitize thier hands and directing people to thier destination.

Pros

1 lunch good pay

Cons

some shift work

CTA Viewing on NSHA and It's Culture

Working for Nova Scotia Health does have it's benefits and disadvantages. A typical day can be a 12 hour shift, which consists of patient care, vitals, and other delegated tasks. Some times things change quickly and you need to be able to adapt to these changes quickly. Depending on your unit you can do various jobs according to the employer policies and what management tells you. Know your scope of practice well and know what can be delegated to you. Management can be difficult and they show they have favorites, and believe me they will listen to the employees who have been there for years compared to new hires. There is a lack of communication and respect between CTA's and RN's and they will prove that they are much more important then you are. Culture wise it is mostly white dominated and very little representation is shown and apparent. The hardest part is knowing you are overlooked for everything, always make sure everything is done in a timely manner. The most important part of the job is getting documentation done correctly and quickly before rounds are completed. Otherwise the place is not horrible, just needs some work and respect needs to given to everyone.

Pros

New Experience, gaining of new skills, working within the interdisciplinary tearm

Cons

non paid half hour break, management, lack of communication

Mobility between units/specialty areas

Bad place to work for if you are foreign-trained RN. Does not recognize RN experience outside Canada. Deplorable. Generally, Nova Scotians are nice. Pen and paper charting.

Pros

Job security, sponsored specialty trainings

Cons

Under funded

Decent pay, mixed work pace.

Pay is decent, long/quick days as it can be super busy and sometimes slow. No complaints but if you want to progress or change your department, seniority, union and all things are hurdles. It took me more than 6 months to secure my education related work and I started as a casual over again.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Seniority stops you to progress despite education

Fun place to work

I work with the linen department. I have also worked with food services, and porter services and I had good experiences with both departments. NSHA is a good company

Pros

Lots of paid leaves

Cons

Can't think of any. Fabulous place to work

Overworked, underappreciated , stressful cesspool of germs.

Unless you get a permanent position off the bat you'll be a casual relief for at least a year. Room for advancement but job security for casuals is nil. If you like chaos, being looked at by Drs., Nurses, and management like you are worthless and not worthy of being talked to ,this is the place for you. Worst 5 work years of my life .

Pros

Become immune to ebola within the first year

Cons

Need to get sick to become immune to everything lol.

Fun work place. I enjoy working with my coworkers

I like working with nsha. My coworkers are great. I am able to practice my skills. It is a very fulfilling job. I am casual so I get to pick and choose my shifts. There are lots of positions being posted for nsha.

Pros

Flexible schedule for casuals

Hiring Process

The hiring process is BRUTAL. Takes several weeks for management to get their ducks in a row. Training during covid was pretty much non existent. ...

Pros

good money

Cons

no parking

Hostile and uncomfortable work environment

Working in Healthcare can be a very hostile and stressful environment. Not worth what they pay you. Nurses and some staff who've been there for a long time make you feel like your beneath them at times, can become very annoying and uncomfortable.Work/life balance can be decent if you don't work full time. You can get significant time off etc.

Pros

Certain coworkers that you become friends with over time, supervisors are understanding and accommodate your schedule when needed

Cons

Long hours, nasty coworkers, hostile environment, no help from managers when there are issues

Your success is directly proportional to your input.

My position as a Covid-19 Site Screener has definitely been interesting, to say the least - definitely a plus if you like dealing with people in a repetitive nature.As this project is as a result of the on-going pandemic, there is a lot of learning as you go. If you can be professional, don't mind saying the same spiel over and over, this might be the job for you.

casual/temp positions get you in the door

Food service is generally always hiring so it is an easy way to get a unionized position and it introduces you to most of the hospital. You have to be constantly looking for a permanent position the whole time you are working and you get the ‘carrot on a stick’ routine with management saying there may be positions opening up and then the last minute they say no. The permanent staff can basically do and say whatever they want and will talk over you at meetings. The temp staff have their work nitpicked about the smallest things. It is very exhausting to be held to a higher standard while doing the same job as a permanent employee. You get called constantly on your days off and sometimes have to say no to a shift TWICE. Reporting things is a nightmare and makes you think twice about bothering because nothing is done about anything. If you can tolerate this for a few years (!) you might get a chill permanent job but it’s a struggle.

Pros

union, some jobs have a pension

Cons

the health insurance is terrible, rude permanent employees, being rushed constantly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nova Scotia Health Authority. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement