Nova Scotia Health Authority Employee Reviews

Good place if you're looking for a good job
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS25 March 2018
Steady work, low expectations. Organization has low technical competence and fear of technology, relying on external consultants to make decisions. Internal expertise is not fostered, nor welcome.

Take your job, do your hours, for interesting stuff, find a side project.
Pros
Not concerned with IP constraints
Cons
System change not welcome
Fun work place
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 March 2018
Great company and all co workers are treating respect to each other. Company giving good benifits loke medical dental and pension plans. Also we have vactions and sickness time.
Pros
Free Uniforms
Cons
Professional working environment. I was given everything needed to do my job in a professional manor.
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Pugwash, NS11 March 2018
Good employer with excellent benefits. Professional working environment which provided everything I needed to carry out my duties in a professional manor.
Public Health Nurse
Public Health Nurse - Health Protection (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS3 March 2018
NSHA is currently going through a restructure and the culture has not shifted yet to reflect a just culture that the current CEO has promoted to the individuals working in the organization. This shift takes time, these skills are developed through experience and the organization is currently still developing.
Pros
willing to listen and invite feedback.
Cons
Staffing issues
sexist managers
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS28 February 2018
if you are male, you wont (for the most part) get hired here. they have the odd token male but it is a non-male dominated workforce and they arent letting go.

i have seen qualified male candidates declined over new grads. managers will look for someone that kowtows to them. these same managers are unbelievably rude and condescending to male staff called in from local agencies.

i have been watching this for years and it is disheartening to see so many (but not all) men head elsewhere as soon as they can.
Pros
that the men get to escape
Cons
everything
Extremely racist hiring policies!!!
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 February 2018
If you are hoping to make a career doing entry level jobs and you are Caucasian, you might want to apply elsewhere.
Assets when applying are being part of a visible minority, being mentally or physically handicapped, or being trans-gender.
Terribly filthy place to work, with horribly racist hiring policies!!!
is a stressful environment
Mental Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 February 2018
There is a divide between management and staff, trust is a huge issue. When issues are brought to their attention nothing is done. it can be a toxic work environment.
Pros
great staff
productive and Good place environment
Porter (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS10 February 2018
Most days can be very stressful when short of staff, But what i've learnt is to stay clam when under pressure. Hardest part of my job is canceling patients appointment because of staff shortage. Most enjoyable part of my job is when completing a stressful day while short of staff.
Pros
Having good relationships with staff
Cons
lack of communication
Account
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 January 2018
I work with all diligence and all sincerity in the work and higher I am all daily pursuits complement and nothing to be tired of
I work to get information and money
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Full time
Friendly environment
Casual Worker (Current Employee) –  NS28 November 2017
Positions always being posted and room for advancement within the building. Hiring for positions is based on seniority only so it's hard to get a position until you've established seniority, regardless of qualifications.
Rewarding place to work
Continuing Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  alc unit2 November 2017
My day consists of getting 8 patients (residents) ready for there day. This could consists of just setting them up for breakfast or totally doing everything for them. My job is to make them feel good, like they mean something to someone. I have learned that life is not easy it throws you curve balls all the time. It has made me a stronger person, my job is very rewarding to me because when I go home each nite I know I did whatever I could to make that persons day a better day for them. I helped someone that needed the help. I would not be in the profession if I didn't care about people. You really have to be a certain type of person to do this job. It is so rewarding to see the smiles on the faces of these people. This job can also be stressful mentally and physically, emotional, very rewarding and depressing. I know when I leave everyday I did my best for each and everyone of these people.
Pros
Very rewarding
Cons
Can be depressing at times
Its a fun place to work.
Care Team Assistant (Current Employee) –  Simpson Landing, IWK30 October 2017
Its a harmonious work environment that makes you want to come to work daily. My superiors as well as my colleagues make the welcoming. Mutual respect is adhered to.
Pros
Discounted healthy meal options.
Cons
Expensive Staff parking rates.
Changes for the worse when the districts merged
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS15 September 2017
Hard to get permanent job.

The unions don't do anything for you unless you are full time.

Parking at the Regional hospital is hard to find for staff and employees should't have to pay for parking.
Great opportunity
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 August 2017
I was able to complete a student co-op here. It was a great earning experience and I really enjoyed my time. I would recommend this to any nursing student interested in mental health!
good co-workers
Register Nurse (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 July 2017
There are alot of great oppurtunities to excell your career at this hospital. The best thing about working here is the people you work with. I would recommend my floor to others.
Pros
self scheduling
Cons
unsupported staff regarding patient to nurse abuse
rewarding place to work
Manager Warehousing and Distribution (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 July 2017
Rewarding place to work. New structure and management have changed the value of working for this organization, and not in a good way.
Management is out of touch.
Will always find something to do or someone to help
CCA (Former Employee) –  Middleton, NS14 June 2017
I had a great job as a CCA, worked with great people and had great clients. I helped people with activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing and feeding. If I did not move to another Province I would still be there!
Great experience
Therapeutic Recreation Intern (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 May 2017
Wonderful opportunity and great experience. It was a good introduction to what working in the health field will be. I was fortunate to receive this internship.
Fun Collaborative, client based organization
Ward Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kentville, NS1 May 2017
12 hour work day, rotational shifts, great flexibility, able to earn more money due to overtime and holiday wages. Opportunity within the zone of employment.
Pros
good recogniztion
Cons
not much room for growth
Full-time
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS12 March 2017
12 hour shifts with short week/long week rotations.

Primary Nursing.

Give meds for a small amount of clients and care coordinating as well.

Supported to go seminars and education opportunities.

Great Clinical co-staff.
Pros
Free parking, can wear street clothes.
Cons
12 hour shifts