Nova Scotia Health Authority

Nova Scotia Health Authority Employee Reviews

My position as a Covid-19 Site Screener has definitely been interesting, to say the least - definitely a plus if you like dealing with people in a repetitive nature.As this project is as a result of the on-going pandemic, there is a lot of learning as you go. If you can be professional, don't mind saying the same spiel over and over, this might be the job for you.
NSHA is a great workplace. Great management and environment. Only con is that it takes a long time to get permanent full time due to seniority. Would definitely recommend to someone that would not mind starting out as a casual worker.
Pros
Workplace, pay, Environment, Management
Cons
Hard to get a full time permanent job
The workplace is great, lots of patients and working with the same staff daily. You learn new skills and get to develop previous ones. Shifts can range from 8 - 12 with opportunity of working over time. Staff can be hard when working with other members of the health care team but it is very rewarding!
Pros
Patients
Cons
this is a great job with amazing benefits and great co-workers however the job is a politically charged environment with lots of emphasis on local standing.
Pros
great benefits decent hours lots of opportunity for overtime
Cons
politically charged, poor work life balance
I enjoyed my positions on three units. The staff were hardworking and tried their best to meet patient needs. As in any environment, there are a small few that do not meet the same criteria
NFS within Central Zone of NSHA is poorly managed. Utility workers are deeply unhappy with communications of room service transition from upper management, and lower management is overworked, often being forced to do the work of utility workers due to staffing shortages that cannot be resolved until the reason behind high turnover rate is addressed.
I have worked in many departments within the NSHA and favouritism and nepotism are definitely part of the work environment. Managers micro-manage even though the majority of them never have done the lower level jobs at all.
Fast paced environment Always learning new skills and tasks daily The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the workload demand and doing it safely The most enjoyable part of the job is the relationship I have with my supportive co-works and patients
I've worked in BC, Manitoba, Ontario and Nova Scotia. By far the salary and work-life balance have been superior working and living in Nova Scotia. Colleagues on the work team are truly collaborative and respectful. Great salary and benefits, too.
As a new grad, I experienced nothing but bullying from both positions I held with NSHA. Not only from co-workers but mostly from managers. Very unsupportive, unkind and sometimes very unprofessional
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Bullying, poor management, poor staffing ratios
Enjoy working here. Benefits and salary for full time/ permanent employees are quite good for Cape Breton. It is a safe, friendly place to work. Also the backing of a union.
I loved my job, my husband had a job transfer therefore I had to leave mine. rewarding team work. shift work, great team to work with, approachable management.
When the operation changed from the district system to the one authority , all personal touches went out the window, no longer did management care about staff because they never knew staff, reporting structure went down the tubes, I think in retrospect it has caused a lot more issues than ever anticipated without the huge monetary savings that were forecasted.
Found working here very stressful. Manager not easy to get along with. Very short staffed causing staff to be burnt out. Work atmosphere tense and unwelcoming.
The benefits and pension plans are both phenomenal. Stable employment, as it's the largest employer in Nova Scotia and healthcare always seems to remain relatively reliable. Great workplace.
Great opportunity for a young person to advance. I worked there in all the hospitals for nearly fifteen years. The experiences I had at all different levels of care were great.
Pros
Vacation and health benefits
This job was great, although it was casual so I had to basically be on call at all times. Eventually they were giving me only 3 hour shifts 5 days a week and it wasnt enough.
Good office environment, productive work. Procedures and policies need tightening up to better assist researchers. Needed reorganization will provide better service.
Be able to handle death well. If you can then you will be fine working there , as long as you also can work hard and fast. The are 12 hour shifts but time does go really fast while you are there.
Team orientated. Room to move up. Supportive leaders Education opportunities Change managment Could be challenging at times Great employees Alound to work in differnt capacities within organization
No responsibility for staff or safety, poor working conditions and poor patient care. Staff working without training. Major hazard s to kitchen staff because of faulty equipement,