Nova Scotia Community College Employee Reviews

great experience
Instructor - Human Services Program (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS22 December 2018
cooperative, helpful colleagues. Professional management. Motivated students. Excellent facilities and support colleagues. A compete Campus experience for students.
prodective work place
Chef's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Hawkesbury, NS1 November 2018
Prep cook
banquets
Management was great
I enjoy cooking have a passion for it
I learned to work alone and as part of team
how to display food to look elegant
Pros
experience
Small private counselling practice.
Registered Counselling Therapist (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS12 September 2018
A private counselling practice that serves the Dartmouth community.

Office hours include Tuesday, Friday and Sunday evenings.

Counselling areas include individuals with personal concerns or problems and couples dealing with family or marital concerns.
Workterm, great experience with much opportunity to learn and expand skills
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 September 2018
I did a 5 week work term after completing my IT course. The students selected for this role were given plenty of opportunity to learn new things and get great hands on experience.
My first job in Canada
Information Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS3 August 2018
This is my first job in Canada.I appreciated the Nova Scotia Community College gave me such a great opportunity to join in this country and began our new life.
Was a student
Student (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS8 May 2018
Great place to go to school. Instructors are very nice and it seems like they really want us to succeed and get jobs. The cafeteria food is not the best.
Enjoyed my job
Administrative Assistant | Student Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 May 2018
Enjoyed very much my job with NSCC. Great training, I earned a diploma in Adult Education, which help not only be better for students but it allowed me to myself better so I could better understand students.
Pros
working with people
Cons
trying to find the right balance
love working for the educaional world
Administrative Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Pictou, NS27 April 2018
I had many difference placements working for my community college while in Nova Scotia I am very flexible and love to learn and accommodate where I was needed most. this was a great job and I miss it very much love the diversity of this job
Pros
oppuntunities
Cons
no longer live in the same provience
Student
Civil Engineering Technologist - Student (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS13 February 2018
Technology Programs offer hands on experience while you learn! Great instructors and student life. The experience is wonderful and great for anyone who requires hands on learning.
NSCC the Akerley Campus is amazing to work for and so is the staff
Proctor (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS15 December 2017
I love working and doing what I do with the NSCC for the students and my boss she is amazing and great to work for. An outline in what I do in the learning center:

•Books the exam bookings over the phone or students come into the Learning Center using Enfosilem Software, Pearson Admissions Manager Software, and IVTVision software.
•Ensures the student taking the exam is identified by checking photo identification.
•Maintains confidentiality and security of all testing materials, test logs, and other test documents.
•Prepares the examination room and test materials before examinees arrive.
•Vigilant – pays close attention to cheating and/or prevention of cheating on the video cameras in the testing room.
•Works with students who have needs of special accommodations, including but not limited to reading tests, scribing test, or providing a special testing climate.
Cons
not enough hours
It's lovely place. Fun!
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 October 2017
I love working with people. They're so nice and respectful. Employees are given maximum freedom. The environment itself is clean and friendly. Honestly, everything at the nscc is awesome!
Pros
The people have respect to one another.
Great balance and loved working here.
Employee Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS30 January 2017
Would love to work at an organization like NSCC .... great sense of community. The only part I didn't think was fair was that I done the role of ES Advisor for four years (two different campuses)...and had gone through a formal competiton ... but was unable to get a full time continuing ES Advisor on three different occasions. I do not understand why the College would want to hire someone with no experience over someone who has the experience and knows the policies and procedures.
Pros
Community spirit
Cons
It was a term and someone else in competition awarded the job I done for two years.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Shelburne, NS4 October 2016
Everyone got along and felt wanted and the work we done was appreciated . Our boss always looked after the needs of the worker s and made sure we had the tools to work with
Supportive faculty and staff
Faculty, Marine-Industrial Rigging (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 June 2015
NSCC provided me with an opportunity to learn a great deal about teaching and learning;
Taught a very diverse group of students;
Gained a great deal of knowledge from industry;
Fantastic faculty and staff; and
Challenging and rewarding at times.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
fair middle management
Great teaching/learning environment
Faculty (Former Employee) –  Sydney, Halifax, Dartmouth, N.S.3 August 2014
A mix of theory and lab projects in relation to OHS&E.
Every day offered new learning experiences.
I personally had a good relationship ship with the management and
my co-worker teams in the various campuses.
Most difficult part of the jobs is/was not being able to engage students to ensure their success.
Most enjoyable part is to hear from those who have gone on and achieved their ultimate goals.
Pros
Continually promoting a safety culture.
Cons
Inability to help all who are attempting to obtain meaningful employment.
Enjoyed my Job at the NSCC working with entry level students
Academic Chair Trades and Technology (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS4 November 2013
Over the past number of years working in education has been a wonderful experience. I have always enjoyed showing people have things work and go together. Safety has always been number one in my work career and I have been a active employee to promote a culture of safety in the work place. In my role as a manager for the past 19 years safety is a major part on my daily duties ensuring the safety of students and staff.
Pros
Working with people
Great work environment
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 August 2013
I really enjoyed working at Facilities Management as a CAD technician. I updated 3 campus plans during my work term at NSCC.
Pros
Good CAD teamwork
tutors
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS30 May 2013
tutoring was great because I could work it into my school schedule.
Pros
students getting high marks
Cons
they no longer need you.
A Culture of Friendship and Happiness!
Science & Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS19 May 2013
The best employer that I have ever had. Too bad that I cannot get a full-time Teaching position there.
Enjoyed getting up everday to go to work - great feel of community.
Administrative Assistant, Student Services (Current Employee) –  Pictou Campus, Stellarton NS1 April 2013
I feel very fortunate that being part of a team in both the Student Services Department in Pictou Campus and the Business Office in Truro Campus that my adaptablity to go from one project to another makes me a valuable person in this type of environment. My typical day goes from being able to enroll students, process different reports, help the registar in updating students grades, to covering front desk reception, being able to do process payroll, working on student accounts to covering bookstore reception. It is a very diverse type of job and gives me work experince in various areas of the college. I am very fortunate to have worked with great Managers in both campuses. They were very supportive of my ideas and the various ways I could contribute to the college. The hardest part of my job is that the positions I hold are/were only term positions; therefore, limiting the security of a full time position. My most enjoyable part of both positions are my team members who are/were very supportive, fun and accepting. Another enjoyable part is being able to deal with students on a daily basis. Being very friendly and outgoing person I am this is a great place to work.
Pros
hour lunch breaks, 15 min breaks, flexiblity in schedule to accommodate appointments
Cons
none with exception that the jobs here are mostly term