NOVA Chemicals Employee Reviews

Great salary and people terrible management
SKYPE FOR BUSINESS ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 January 2019
If you do not get along or disagree expect a pink slip You can be called a team player and receive all kinds of praise but as soon as you make a mistake or disagree with management your out the door
Pros
money
Cons
management
Excellent place to work
Water Treatment Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB21 January 2019
I would highly recommend Nova Chemicals as a place to work. I worked at ova for 27 years and highly enjoyed the work environment and the people who i worked with.
Great Place to work
Instrumentation & Electrical Technician Co-op (Former Employee) –  Corunna, ON27 December 2018
Great place to work, safety was always put first. Overall nice place to work due to it's clean, quiet, environment, and a really positive environment.
Awesome
I enjoyed my brief time at Nova Chemicals, safety was there number one priority there. Great environment to work in, what I mean by that is positive attitudes, friendly and helpful people, etc. Not to mention great future ahead of them.
Innovative technology
Chemical Technician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 December 2018
I enjoyed my time with Nova Chemicals. The hands on work was demanding but stimulating. The team environment made it enjoyable to come to work. I found it difficult to balance family and the demanding job......but the kids finally grew up!
Pros
Team environment
Cons
On call
Best working environment I've ever been a part of
Area Contact Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Corunna, ON27 November 2018
Extremely professional coworkers, but with a light atmosphere, and incredibly constructive, helpful, with lots to learn about the polyethylene business
Pros
Great work environment and culture
Cons
No Cafeteria
Nova Chemicals
Senior Engineering Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB18 November 2018
Excellent opportunities for growth and development with challenging assignments. Management support structure was great and enjoyed working with this company.
Nova Chemicals
SmartPlant Foundation Migration Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB18 November 2018
Strong corporate culture committed to excellence and safety. Supportive working environment with perspective in achieving best in class. Overall an excellent place to work.
Exceptional work place
Full time Lead Associate (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB13 October 2018
Very safety oriented work place. Respectful work place environment in a team based atmosphere. Team based environment excellent management team and HR representatives.
Among the Largest Chemical complex in Canada
Disc Eng Lead, Instrumentation and Controls (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB29 September 2018
Three Ethylene Plants, Two Polyethylene plants and auxiliary facilities.
Work culture was great, great team work, nice clean process facilities.
Until the re-engineering of the company. then the work atmosphere became challenging.
Pros
Great process facilities
Cons
Less than pleasant work atmosphere after the re-engineering
Fun and great work enviroment
Project Engineer Co-op (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 September 2018
At nova chemicals the corporate culture is of inclusion and safety, everyday you feel good about going to work and the people you work with. With their great work life balance programs its easy to stay committed to work and balance it with your life outside.
Clean and safe work site to be at
3rd Year Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB28 August 2018
learned a lot at this job, the site was very clean, good hours and decent pay, would go back if i had the opportunity to. only thing was it was away from home
Excellent work experience
parts person (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB20 August 2018
I worked at Nova for only 8 weeks on a contract position. I was very well paid and treated with respect, even though I was a woman working in the warehouse. The men were unbelievably respectful to me and helped me out whenever I needed assistance. I would work there again in a heart beat.
Pros
great pay, good hrs and free bbq's
Cons
30 minute drive from my house
Safety is everything, low stress environment
Environmental Specialist, Responsible Care Team (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB26 July 2018
One thing I have learnt from NOVA Chemicals and will take with me in my everyday life and career is the emphasis on safety!! The teams and awareness that we implemented really makes no room for complacency. In a plant environment it is very important for employees to feel safe during work, and to make sure they come home to their families safely.

Also I appreciated the community involvement with my career there. They emphasized we be a part of the community around us and to respect any discrepancies they may have. It made us to take responsibility in any work we did.

Benefits and salary were improving when I left, im sure it's worth working there financially as well.
Pros
Community Involvement
Cons
Remote location
Excellent Company
Canada- Senior Project Construction Engineer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB31 May 2018
Overall excellent to work for. Work safety culture was engrained at corporate level and they had great on line training program.

Would definitely consider working for again.
Great place for lifetime career
Project Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB11 May 2018
Great place to work for a lifetime career. Red Deer is a nice town with all amenities and if it had more culture, it would be better. Nice quiet town though
Good balance between work and life
Research Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 March 2018
Very good compensation and benefits, great safety culture, many nice people to work with.

Unstable organization, changing frequently, manager lack leadership.
Pros
Salary and Benefits
Cons
Managment
Good long term growth
Process Safety & Risk Engineer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB10 February 2018
Excellent benefits.
Salary is competitive.
Local work conditions conducive to family life.
Company work processes & standards catching up to industry.
Great Salary & Benefits - That's about it.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB5 February 2018
The salary and benefits are awesome. But don't let the Nova website fool you regarding their culture. There is a fair amount of office politics and favorites. No one will defend you when it comes to going against management. There are relatives who work for the same units, from different departments. You have to watch your back, and if someone doesn't like you personally; your job is not secure.
Pros
Great salary and benefits and extra events
Cons
What happens, does not match the culture.
Toxic office environment in DC dept
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB16 January 2018
Great to work with Project Managers, Engineers. Beware of Document Control Mngmt specifically Madame Pelky. Very intimidating and opposite of good person. If she senses you actually have more knowledge than her, your work life will be opposite from heaven and your out. Unfortunately Project Manager wont stick up for you regardless what a great job performances you have shown.
Pros
Loved my job duties
Cons
Document Control Mngmt

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NOVA Chemicals. Our community is ready to answer.