NOVA Chemicals Employee Reviews

Good balance between work and life
Research Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 March 2018
Very good compensation and benefits, great safety culture, many nice people to work with.

Unstable organization, changing frequently, manager lack leadership.
Pros
Salary and Benefits
Cons
Managment
Good long term growth
Process Safety & Risk Engineer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB10 February 2018
Excellent benefits.
Salary is competitive.
Local work conditions conducive to family life.
Company work processes & standards catching up to industry.
Great Salary & Benefits - That's about it.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB5 February 2018
The salary and benefits are awesome. But don't let the Nova website fool you regarding their culture. There is a fair amount of office politics and favorites. No one will defend you when it comes to going against management. There are relatives who work for the same units, from different departments. You have to watch your back, and if someone doesn't like you personally; your job is not secure.
Pros
Great salary and benefits and extra events
Cons
What happens, does not match the culture.
Toxic office environment in DC dept
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB16 January 2018
Great to work with Project Managers, Engineers. Beware of Document Control Mngmt specifically Madame Pelky. Very intimidating and opposite of good person. If she senses you actually have more knowledge than her, your work life will be opposite from heaven and your out. Unfortunately Project Manager wont stick up for you regardless what a great job performances you have shown.
Pros
Loved my job duties
Cons
Document Control Mngmt
Great people to work with
General Programmer\System Admin (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON31 December 2017
The people were great to work with. Management could sometimes be a bit much. But overall the experience was great, being a co-op student they treated me like a full time employee
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Commute
Amazing Place to Work
Construction Manager, Joffre AB (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB22 November 2017
Amazing Company to work for. A great culture. Almost everyone loves being there and Nova goes out of their way to provide a great work experience and employs many well qualified individuals.
I developed rewarding skills during my co-op
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Mooretown, ON9 October 2017
I was happy to be involved with the operations team at NOVA Chemicals. Everyone was great to work with and all wanted to see me succeed. I developed rewarding skills during my co-op, which I am very thankful for.
Clique culture
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB7 August 2017
They talk a good talk about safety and opened as well as being a team atmosphere. 1 week to figure out this is a place to not ask questions don't reveal any injuries you have outside of the office. ..had a shoulder strain as an admin assistant didn't see how this could be an issue ...turned into a fiasco of Dr appointments and meetings with management. Young administrative team who are into cliques and talking behind people's backs.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything else
Taking your life into your hands
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB26 February 2017
The safety culture at the Joffre plant is non-existent. In the last ouple years they'e had a fatality, numerous lost time accidents, environmental issues, and dropped crane loads. Their project safety manager out of Ontario replaced competent, local safety personnel with sycophantic flunkys from the Sarnia plant that have never worked multi-million dollar expansion projects or construction. Avoid this place if you can. Look out for yourself if you can't.
Pros
Pay is OK
Cons
Deadly safety culture
Horrible
Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2017
Got treated different than anyone else
Repetitive work
Team leader sucks
Repressive
Resistive to anything other than themselves
Closed minded
Controlling
Judgemental
Ignorant
Conforming
They do cheap personality tests, if you are different: you are out
Pros
Cons
brain death
Great place to be!
Project Controls Manager (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB9 November 2016
Excellent work culture, very competent colleagues, relaxed work environment, its a great place to foster good working relationships, where you'll be encouraged to learn and contribute.
Great people, IT management needs an overhaul.
Senior Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 September 2016
Great place to work from a technology point of view, lots of opportunity to learn new skills etc. The IT management really needs to be overhauled, nice people, not good managers.
Nice Enviroment
Electrical Engineer - Co-op (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON29 May 2016
All the employees are really helping and facilitate you in every possible way even going extra mile.
Management is really helpful and got strong growth oriented culture.
Safety is the most important aspect of the companies policy.
they educate very well before beginning any task and state of the art facility.
Pros
competitive salary package.
Cons
located in small town
Very rewarding and challenging work environment
MECHANICAL ENGINEERING SUMMER STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB30 April 2016
During my time at NOVA Chemicals, every day presented new challenges and obstacles to overcome. I was given a combination of large and small tasks, often simultaneous, and left to independently complete them. The team I worked with was excellent at explaining if I had any questions concerning the job or the engineering profession in general.
The people and work environment make all the difference
Accountant - Contractor (Airswift Resources) (Current Employee) –  Joffre, AB11 April 2016
Typically the day begins with a review of day tasks, emails, etc.
Handle any urgent requests. Prepare financial reports for management, analyze and monitor key operating metrics. Schedule or attend meeting to discuss & clarify budgets, forecasts, cost reduction initiatives and accounting protocols.
Awesome
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 February 2016
Awesome place to work at. Great company that cares for the employees/contractors they have. I would definitely still work here if I hadn't moved provinces away.
A couple of employees were not at all communicative
Contractor Turnover (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB2 February 2016
Overall good experience. A Management personal was difficult to work with. Most of the employees there were very accommodating to work with. Not a comfortable experience for the most part. I went in there to complete a job but in some cases made to feel intimidated by ones knowledge of the work place which I did not have as I was only there for two months. However I knew what was required to be completed and that was accomplished. If offered a position there I would have declined due to the intimidation. I prefer a team work environment, not a one person show.
Pros
Some very great people
Cons
made you feel like an outsider
Nova Chemical
Instrumentation & Electrical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB2 January 2016
As a member of the reliability team, I am responsible for the implementation of major control systems and field instruments upgrade, and l influence decisions and initiate changes to sustain and improve performance of the field instruments and control systems for an Ethylene unit, working with my team to explore and implement new technology and applications that support manufacturing excellence, Identify and implement Safety, Health, Environment and Risk requirements
Pros
responsible care (safety) company
Cons
sometimes over exaggerate procedures
Operations coordinator and training specialist
Training and Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB14 December 2015
Operations coordinator - I spent sever years with Nova as an operations coordinator in charge of pipelines and utilities. I worked on the Utilities Area Work Team and was involved in making all equipment modification and improvement decisions. I was in charge of 6 operating teams and worked on all projects related to the direct operation of the plant and pipeline.

Training Specialist - I work for several years developing training for the operations group at Nova. Responsibilities included : writing training manuals, procedures, one on one training of operators, and working with the LMS system.
Occupational testing and surveillance
Occupational Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lacombe, AB16 November 2015
Excellent focus on the individual health and safety of employees. The most enjoyable part of this position was working with a diverse group of professionals and the workers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NOVA Chemicals. Our community is ready to answer.