NOVA Chemicals Employee Reviews

Innovative technology
Chemical Technician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 December 2018
I enjoyed my time with Nova Chemicals. The hands on work was demanding but stimulating. The team environment made it enjoyable to come to work. I found it difficult to balance family and the demanding job......but the kids finally grew up!
Pros
Team environment
Cons
On call
Best working environment I've ever been a part of
Area Contact Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Corunna, ON27 November 2018
Extremely professional coworkers, but with a light atmosphere, and incredibly constructive, helpful, with lots to learn about the polyethylene business
Pros
Great work environment and culture
Cons
No Cafeteria
Nova Chemicals
SmartPlant Foundation Migration Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB18 November 2018
Strong corporate culture committed to excellence and safety. Supportive working environment with perspective in achieving best in class. Overall an excellent place to work.
Exceptional work place
Full time Lead Associate (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB13 October 2018
Very safety oriented work place. Respectful work place environment in a team based atmosphere. Team based environment excellent management team and HR representatives.
Excellent work experience
parts person (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB20 August 2018
I worked at Nova for only 8 weeks on a contract position. I was very well paid and treated with respect, even though I was a woman working in the warehouse. The men were unbelievably respectful to me and helped me out whenever I needed assistance. I would work there again in a heart beat.
Pros
great pay, good hrs and free bbq's
Cons
30 minute drive from my house
Safety is everything, low stress environment
Environmental Specialist, Responsible Care Team (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB26 July 2018
One thing I have learnt from NOVA Chemicals and will take with me in my everyday life and career is the emphasis on safety!! The teams and awareness that we implemented really makes no room for complacency. In a plant environment it is very important for employees to feel safe during work, and to make sure they come home to their families safely.

Also I appreciated the community involvement with my career there. They emphasized we be a part of the community around us and to respect any discrepancies they may have. It made us to take responsibility in any work we did.

Benefits and salary were improving when I left, im sure it's worth working there financially as well.
Pros
Community Involvement
Cons
Remote location
Excellent Company
Canada- Senior Project Construction Engineer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB31 May 2018
Overall excellent to work for. Work safety culture was engrained at corporate level and they had great on line training program.

Would definitely consider working for again.
Great place for lifetime career
Project Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB11 May 2018
Great place to work for a lifetime career. Red Deer is a nice town with all amenities and if it had more culture, it would be better. Nice quiet town though
Good balance between work and life
Research Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 March 2018
Very good compensation and benefits, great safety culture, many nice people to work with.

Unstable organization, changing frequently, manager lack leadership.
Pros
Salary and Benefits
Cons
Managment
Good long term growth
Process Safety & Risk Engineer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB10 February 2018
Excellent benefits.
Salary is competitive.
Local work conditions conducive to family life.
Company work processes & standards catching up to industry.
Great Salary & Benefits - That's about it.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB5 February 2018
The salary and benefits are awesome. But don't let the Nova website fool you regarding their culture. There is a fair amount of office politics and favorites. No one will defend you when it comes to going against management. There are relatives who work for the same units, from different departments. You have to watch your back, and if someone doesn't like you personally; your job is not secure.
Pros
Great salary and benefits and extra events
Cons
What happens, does not match the culture.
Toxic office environment in DC dept
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB16 January 2018
Great to work with Project Managers, Engineers. Beware of Document Control Mngmt specifically Madame Pelky. Very intimidating and opposite of good person. If she senses you actually have more knowledge than her, your work life will be opposite from heaven and your out. Unfortunately Project Manager wont stick up for you regardless what a great job performances you have shown.
Pros
Loved my job duties
Cons
Document Control Mngmt
Great people to work with
General Programmer\System Admin (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON31 December 2017
The people were great to work with. Management could sometimes be a bit much. But overall the experience was great, being a co-op student they treated me like a full time employee
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Commute
Amazing Place to Work
Construction Manager, Joffre AB (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB22 November 2017
Amazing Company to work for. A great culture. Almost everyone loves being there and Nova goes out of their way to provide a great work experience and employs many well qualified individuals.
I developed rewarding skills during my co-op
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Mooretown, ON9 October 2017
I was happy to be involved with the operations team at NOVA Chemicals. Everyone was great to work with and all wanted to see me succeed. I developed rewarding skills during my co-op, which I am very thankful for.
Clique culture
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB7 August 2017
They talk a good talk about safety and opened as well as being a team atmosphere. 1 week to figure out this is a place to not ask questions don't reveal any injuries you have outside of the office. ..had a shoulder strain as an admin assistant didn't see how this could be an issue ...turned into a fiasco of Dr appointments and meetings with management. Young administrative team who are into cliques and talking behind people's backs.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything else
Taking your life into your hands
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB26 February 2017
The safety culture at the Joffre plant is non-existent. In the last ouple years they'e had a fatality, numerous lost time accidents, environmental issues, and dropped crane loads. Their project safety manager out of Ontario replaced competent, local safety personnel with sycophantic flunkys from the Sarnia plant that have never worked multi-million dollar expansion projects or construction. Avoid this place if you can. Look out for yourself if you can't.
Pros
Pay is OK
Cons
Deadly safety culture
Horrible
Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2017
Got treated different than anyone else
Repetitive work
Team leader sucks
Repressive
Resistive to anything other than themselves
Closed minded
Controlling
Judgemental
Ignorant
Conforming
They do cheap personality tests, if you are different: you are out
Pros
Cons
brain death
Great place to be!
Project Controls Manager (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB9 November 2016
Excellent work culture, very competent colleagues, relaxed work environment, its a great place to foster good working relationships, where you'll be encouraged to learn and contribute.
Great people, IT management needs an overhaul.
Senior Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 September 2016
Great place to work from a technology point of view, lots of opportunity to learn new skills etc. The IT management really needs to be overhauled, nice people, not good managers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NOVA Chemicals. Our community is ready to answer.