Norwood Child and Family Resource Centre

Norwood Child and Family Resource Centre Employee Reviews

Advancement and job culture was most atracticve feature of NCFRC.

NCFRC provided me working platform to utilize my teaching and day care skills to play a role of Early Childhood Educator and also a job satisfaction with further training and workshops to gain more skills and knowledge.

Pros

Trainings

Cons

Sending to new places for home visits.

Cut throat management

Often said by staff that there should be a revolving door for an entrance because they fire people so often and oddly enough they seem to fire them in 3's. Staff leaving was once handled with a group meeting to discuss how people felt was eventually replaced with a form email "we wish them luck..." then its like that person is dead to them never to be mentioned again. Managers telling bold faced lies about staff to cover their own incompetence or coercing staff to complain repeatedly about other staff to facilitate that person getting written up so they can then fire them (gotta follow proper procedure) saying this environment is toxic is an insult to toxic chemicals. If I could give one word of advice, RUN!

Pros

Helping families

Cons

The Management is TERRIBLE

Strong Collaborative Workplace

Excellent team work and training with meaningful work. I really enjoyed working here both for the professionalism as well as the opportunity to help others.

Micromanaging

Micromanaged and unwelcoming environment. Do not trust staff to do their jobs. If anyone disagrees with management they are fired. Frontline staff are amazing :)

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Unwelcoming

Amazing people who are dedicated to improving the lives of children and families.

This organization is doing amazing work in the community. Their goal is to support early childhood development and to support caregivers to be the best they can in parenting their children. People work hard here, but there is a lot of fun and laughter as well. Everyone is so dedicated and passionate about making life better for children and families. The salary is very good for a non profit, but the benefits are phenomenol. Full prescription coverage, massage, dental, vision, RRSP, etc. Plus 2 weeks off over Christmas and 1 week off at Spring Break (all paid) on top of your regular 2 weeks of vacation.

Supportive team environment that makes a difference in the lives of children and families.

A positive environment when staff support one another in day to day work with children and families. Such a great team that makes you feel that you are working within a large family. Support from management through one on one conversations both scheduled and unscheduled. Workplace culture is one that makes a difference in the lives of children and families.

Pros

Strong Team Environment

The bullying from Executive Director is not ok

The duties were always changing.Not what you are hired to do.Very tense, unable to ask for help as the work is too much to accomplish in a day. If you can't do the job, then you are stupid and weak. Not good morale, very upsetting circumstances when dealing with other staff. Looking for a more supportive job in Administration.

Toxic work environment

Commonplace favouritism among leadership, ever changing expectations and support, tense work environment. Coworkers not always up to supporting each other.

Pros

Vacation time

Cons

Work life balance, support from anyone around you

So much potential to be a good work environment but..

Amazing place for families and children but the work environment can be toxic and bullying is common in upper management. Despite staff bringing concerns about a specific manager forward they are promoted and other staff are bullied in to leaving. Micromanagement is a major issue as well.

Pros

Good benefits, great opportunity to support families and feel good about the work you do.

Cons

Environment supports bullying behaviour

Great work place for casual staff

I cannot speak to the other reviews as I was a casual staff. For a registered charity, the Norwood Centre paid a generous wage, noticeably more than I received working at other charities. The environment was amicable, and the staff were all very friendly. They always greeted me and came off to me as a group that looked out for each other. There was always healthy food available, there was a lot of support and assistance as I worked in all of child minding, kitchen and reception. There were many opportunities to advance career wise. Many casual staff that I worked with moved onto family support positions. I was venerously offered the teaching position as an early childhood educator, but did not take it for my "dream" job. I could tell that most staff were very passionate about providing services for families in need. Overall I think the Norwood Centre is a great place to work.

Pros

Work environment, passion, making a difference

Cons

As a casual staff, hours were only plenty if you were willing to work in all positions

Supportive and Collaborative

Resources are readily available to facilitate your work. Supervision and support is accessible. Pay is reasonable. Sometimes work life spills into home life.

Pros

Well supported

Cons

Work life balance

Fantastic Company

A great and small organization to work for. Th staff thee are wonderful. I enjoyed working with and to get to know them. They are passionate about supporting families.

Unprofessional and mean spirited

Job description altered after interview. Salary in contract was different to the one stated upon job offer, so were working hours/times and location of office space. First day of work I was ordered to stay home as management had not yet discussed a plan of action for this position although it was not filled for over 6 months. Meetings were cancelled, changed around or supervisor late. In week 1 job description was changed again about 3times by supervisor without having discussed it prior with management.

Cons

Unprofessional and toxic work environment

Official response from Norwood Child and Family Resource Centre

23 November 2017
Thank you for your comments. As we strive for excellence within our organization, we review all feedback and implement strategies to continually improve.

High value placed on client services

Tense work environment with few office space so most administrative duties must be completed in shared computer rooms with about ten computers and ten co- workers at a time entering daily data. High value placed on client/childcare excellence and family support. Low wages for frontline workers but great vacation days. Managers dismiss frontline workers pretty easily. Asked to perform duties not in job description. Lots of snacks available everyday.

Pros

Food, vacation, parking

Cons

Offices, job security, wages

Staff scared to approach management

Lack of independence, limited support, unfriendly management. Work environment was tense. Staff had limited independence with their schedules. Staff were frequently asked to perform duties that were not relevant to their job and overshadowed the main job.

Pros

Healthy snacks available frequently

Cons

Too many evenings and weekends of work required.

Productive and fun

Peoduxrive and fun great team environment with staff you learn a lot at this position and meet great families great pay and benefits and a great learning environment

Family-oriented, great resources for the community - staff great to work with

Always arrived early to talk to staff before we all head to our stations,,the cook would have fresh coffee and sometimes a treat! Great place to work, the Director was awesome - everybody helped out everybody - the hardest part was leaving to work with sister company, Clareview Head Start (another great story too)

Pros

free treats - varied from clothing, fruit to baked goods

Cons

wage isn't up to market speed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Norwood Child and Family Resource Centre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement