Northwood

Northwood Employee Reviews

Canada24 reviews

jobworkstaffgoodpeoplemanagementhardnorthwood

It was difficult in terms of safe staff to patient ratio numbers. Stress of the workload. However it was a good environment. Teamwork and residents and staff were great to work with.

Pros

Free meals

Fast-paced working environment

too much workload most of the time with not enough staff to cover, always short. for new worker they will put you on heavy floor with Insufficient orientation / education. Hard to get a vacation leave but staff members are supportive.

Insights into Northwood

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Clear sense of purpose

Grateful for this company

This is one company that and takes pride in helping their residents and also helping each other I'm so glad I'm with this company it's like night and day between this and others

Good location and hours.

Large nonprofit organization with plenty of on site clients and personal of varying backgrounds. Multiple sites and locations means you'll need to be mobile and able to adjust on the fly.

Horrible place to work

Northwood in Bedford “ ivany “ is ran like a business rather a care facility.they treat the CCA’s like dogs . The CCA’s at Northwood have the hardest front line jobs there .the facility is constantly running on a skeleton crew overworking their staff. The residents are left to sit in their rooms or infront of a tv the CCAs are over worked and left to deal with situations on their own on top of everything else they are required to do as the management always seems to be disinterested in the goings on in the building I do not recommend working their let alone leaving your loved one in their hands

Its Ok

I have had an issue but it got resolved and I honestly forgive all the wrong that has happened because I appreciate this job more then it will ever know, it taught me a lot of life lessons.

Working at Northwood in the beginning was great. After working several years the job became stressful

90% of the time worked short. Management never have your support. Time off is like rare gold, hard to get. Several back injuries. Doctor requested that they compensated in a different department to work which they did has a casual. Never get the shift to meet my bills. Eventually had to resign. A shame the way they treated workers. You're just a number to them.

Friendly environment where everyone is like family in the workplace.

authorizing pumps for customers to fill tank with gas, provide windshield washer fluid at the pumps, taking garbage out after shift, checking on public washrooms kept clean and stocking the shelves.

Awesome place of work

Great learning experience, helping management, trustworthy people. One of the largest employer in the Province of NS. Northwood began in 1962 as a social movement in response to the plight of seniors living alone in Halifax. What emerged was a shared belief that people, committed to an ideal, could make a difference in the world. Since its inception, Northwood has become a powerful voice for seniors in Nova Scotia, demanding a new approach to aging in place.

Pros

In the Heart of the City, One of the largest employer in NS

Cons

No cons i have noticed.

Many areas to work so lots of different experiences

I like working here. Staff is friendly and hard working . Lots of overtime if you want it. Benefits are great , pay fair . Daytime parking is very limited. Overall a good place to work

Pros

Good place to work.

Cons

Daytime parking is limited

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Northwood?

Interesting Job

I started at Northwood out of College and the people I worked with were very nice. The supervisors and co-workers were great, but you soon find out that several of the managers have little to no education or management skills and are there because of their longevity in menial jobs. They spent their time using more intelligent people to cover up their incompetence and the rest of their time keeping their positions secure through bullying and in manipulation.

Pros

Nice Seniors to interact will

Cons

Incompetent Management

Clients and other staff are great. Supervisors are helpful and do a good job with communicating with field staff most of the time. A lot of the time, we don't get time for travel or breaks. Are told to leave visits early if necessary, yet clients complain that they pay for the service, their time gets cut with CC, etc. Puts us in a bad position and can cause unneeded stress in an already stressful job. Northwood does a better job than most other home care companies around, but I think they should work on scheduling and allowing time for travel and break time, because your staff are no good to you if they are burnt out.

Pros

Great clients, supportive supervisors

Cons

No travel or break time scheduled, benefits are too expensive for what you get, frequent client complaints about staffing can be draining

good and bad place to work. great ideas but lazy staff

loved the job but not all the coworkers...place was unhealthy workplace as staff refused to do their jobs and meeting others for relationships was priority

Pros

great residents with some real great staff

Cons

long term staff can be quite nasty

summary

always working short very good continuing education very cultural diverse great support system different shifts and rotations to suit you and your family life

Calm easy going workplace

I volunteer there once in a while hence my my Mother works there. Its amazing to be able to help out with the elderly and put a smile on their face. I love painting the ladies nails and doing their hair to make them feel young again! You can volunteer by going on the website and submitting an application.

Pros

Activities.

Cons

Not a full-time job, dont get paid

great company

great people, good to work for . wonderful hours. hardest part of the job is loosing clients . staff is great to work with . good work ethic . overall good

Friendly job environment

The job and duties itself were alright. Found I had to work my life around being available for call ins or I would not get nearly enough hours, very hard to live this way.

Love working at Northwood but need a change

Northwood is a good place to work If I don't get a job I will stay here.I get along well with my team players. I am working with Dementia it is hard sometime to deal with there behaviours but I learned how to deal with these residents. They make me laught and I get a big kiss from everyone of them.

Pros

Dont have to work until 7

productive, communicative, positive environment

-busy and occupying -learned how to work with people of different ages -co-workers were fellow high school students and managers of the event

Pros

experience and interaction

Supervise the Camp operations

All of the activities were performed by contractors . My job was to monitor and direct activities of the contractors. There was some hands on interaction with the camp maintenance crews as far as Gen set and Sewage management activities. Allocating rail car deliveries to the various mills was a major function of the job. I enjoyed the work as there was very good people in place. Although I performed my work very well and under budget, my supervisor did not like me so I was let go. I do not have animosity , but was disappointed.

Pros

live in a remote location and work with great contractors

Cons

Experienced a unique and difficult to please manager

stressful

work was stressful and management gave no support. there was no support from supervisors, very easily judged and there was a lot of people used their positions poorly.

Pros

close to home

Cons

poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwood. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Northwood with

Learn about Northwood in popular locations

• Northwood