NORTHWEST TERRITORIES POWER CORPORATION Employee Reviews

Senior management is so lost!!!
Someone (Current Employee) –  Hay River, NT25 October 2018
Great working environment. Great to work on remote communities. Northern life is great. Senior management is so lost. Engineering director is more worried by his own person and be friend with everyone than what is really going on in his group. Operation trades are awesome but lost, without any mentoring. They are trying to keep the lights on the best they can.
Pros
Good wages, vacation
Cons
Management is lost and useless
Fun workplace
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, NT29 July 2017
i worked as a summer studdent for the power corp, typical days were doing tasks like cutting grass keeping the plant clean and doing small odds and ends helping out operators and the electrician.
Pros
goverment job, good pay, 8 hour days.
Cons
some people you work with can be difficult.
Wroking in a brand new position as a Construction Health and Safety Coordinator
Construction Health and Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hay River, NT24 March 2017
A typical day consists of meeting with project managers and reviewing project safety risk analysis for upcoming projects and project safety plans. I also will be working with contractors to ensure that they meet safety requirements for the job.

I have been working for the last 3 years in the role of Construction Health and Safety Coordinator. It has been a great learning experience working with project management teams and contractor management. I have learned the project planning processes, and how safety is only one process but an important one that needs to be looked at in the design and pre-planning phase of projects.

I have been given the autonomy to develop, implement and mold the program. The framework had been developed and we are editing and making it work for the environment that we are in.

Hardest part of the job is the remoteness of our project sites and the difficulty in hiring contractors and obtaining materials if the planning has not been completed effectively.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that I have had the opportunity to travel to remote locations past the arctic circle and see parts of my country that I would not otherwise have the opportunity to see.
Working in the North and ensuring the Power is supplied safely!
Construction Health and Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hay River, NT24 October 2016
I am enjoying the challenges of my job as the construction health and safety coordinator. I enjoy working with the project management teams to ensure that safety has been incorporated into the project. Contractor management is also another component of my job. I am responsible to help ensure the hiring of contractors that meet our company safety and insurance requirements.
I work with a team of 7 health, safety and environmental individuals we are able to drawn on everyone's wealth of knowledge.

A very enjoyable part of my job is the traveling through out the north and appreciating the country we have. This has been a bonus to the job I do.

A good part of my day is spent reviewing project safety plans, developing education sessions for contractors and being a resource and advisor to our staff.
Pros
traveling the north
Cons
spending 40% of my time away from home
remote town with a boring life, if you do not look for funs, such as fishing, skiing and ice-skating.
Mechanical Design Technologist (Current Employee) –  Hay River27 January 2015
Mechanical design in Diesel/gas power plants.
AutoCAD drawings for diesel fuel system and jacket water cooling pipings.
A very demanding position in an isolated envirnoment
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nunavut, Canada17 October 2014
1. A typical day involved travel (or preparation thereof) to remote communitiies; work involved project management (overseeing work of contractors & subcontractors), equipment installations and testing/commissioning of the same, etc.
2. Project management good experience as was learning testing procedures and methodologies during the commissioning stage.
3. Co-workers usually were those with a technical background involved with powerhouse construction & commissioning or powerhouse attendants who lived locally and were caretakers of the powerhouse & facilities.
4. One drawback about working in Canada's far north is the cold temperatures, long winters and desolate / barren envirnoment.
5. Meeting and mingling with the people - Canada's Inuk - was different and awesome!