Northern Micro

Northern Micro Pay & benefits reviews

Canada13 reviews

Clear
2.8Pay & benefits

A great place to work if you have the right skills

I have never had a better workplace. Those who knew what they were doing and kept the work flowing quickly found their place. Those who did not were quickly out the door. There is lots of opportunity to learn if one is willing. Jobs were accomplished with minimal supervision, and the work was always enjoyable. Unfortunately, Northern Micro only pays minimum wage and hires a lot of temporary labour, as they are a government contractor that frequently goes through periods of little to no work volume.

Pros

clean lunch room, workers are treated well, summer bbqs

Cons

hard to get to by bus, low pay

Great work environment, friendly employees & awesome benefits!

Northern Micro is a great place to work. You are always greeted with a smile by your co-workers and owner and the environment is fun and relaxed. The benefits package is extensive and management is understanding/flexible.

Pros

Benefits, lots of BBQs/lunches, staff perks/parties, competitive salary, friendly staff.

Cons

Location not super central, cubicles

Internal company politics create difficult work atmosphere.

NM is a typical small company trying to make their public image appear larger than in reality. At NM all decision making is performed by one individual who is biased towards the few employees protected within an inner company circle. The inner circle employees receive in return benefits and privileges that other NM employees never will, even though everyone in the company contributes to the overall performance. Although NM has achieved some success in the past, a long period of stagnating growth has allowed similar companies to outpace NM. It must be understood that a company that labels itself a manufacturer, but is really just another computer assembler, will always choose the erroneous path of selling anything by using the "Smoke and Mirrors" method.

Pros

Expense claims you will never have to validate.

Cons

The inner circle receives lower product costs to help them achieve their performance objectives.

– 29 January 2019
Thank you for your review of your employment experience at Northern Micro. We are sorry to hear you had a negative experience working with us. We want to take this opportunity to address some of your claims that we find concerning.Northern Micro employs over 65 employees, with staff in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City and Halifax. The company strives to be a meritocratic workplace, where strong performers are promoted with increasing levels of responsibilities. In fact, we are proud to state that four managers on our management team started their career at Northern Micro in entry-level positions.Since 2014, we have grown to become one of the largest IT Solutions Providers in Canada, and one of the largest in Ottawa. The latest CDN (Computer Dealer News) Top 100 Ranking for 2017 places Northern Micro at 14th overall, compared with 27th in 2014. We also have won many awards from our OEM partners and trade journals: CDN Client Solutions Provider of the Year for 2017, Dell EMC Partner of the Year, Server for 2017 and HP Inc. Personal Systems Partner of the Year for 2016 – to name a few.Our corporate strategy is set by the president of the company, while all department managers and their staff are fully empowered to make decisions that move the company towards accomplishing our mission and values.While we continue to assemble our own Spirit brand of PC, we have been reselling solutions from our OEM partners such as Dell EMC, HP Inc. and Microsoft making us unique in the marketplace. As well, our company is managed under a ISO 9001:2015 certified Quality Management -

High volume of productivity, with many staff appreciation events

- Very high paced work environment - Approachable management - Many events for communicate with staff in various departments, in order to resolve discrepancies. - Over 50 expense reports processing bi-weekly - Not competitive salary.

– 29 January 2019
Thank you for your review of your employment with Northern Micro. We are grateful for your positive feedback with regards to our work environment and management.We recognize we have work to do to expedite expense report handling. We are in the process of finding and evaluating vendors with the best solution for our needs.We also recognize the need to improve our compensation to employees, and have increased our medical, dental, vision care, and health care spending account benefits package to be competitive with our industry.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Northern Micro?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Micro. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement