Northern Lakes College

Northern Lakes College Employee Reviews

Canada19 reviews

Enjoyable to work with adult student and learn to teach to each persons learning styles

Good management team to help with props in class and great staff in work force group.Head management not involved in daily progress made understanding adult Native learning style, he would hire instructors based on pay required with instructor little industry knowledge or teaching skills, program taken away and given to oil company after I left.Management asked for a lot of free weekend time for me as instructor to promote the course and fund rise for functioning systems.

Pros

Great work force staff to work with, very professional.

Cons

To much free time taken, new upper management (dean) not involved

fun and good experience

great work. Instructors learn a lot by building these literature courses. Fun to build a kit of resources and activities that will go on to enrich the lives of so many students in the future.

Pros

work at home

Cons

compensation delayed

Insights into Northern Lakes College

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
  • Inclusive work environment

Poorly Managed

My direct supervisors and co-workers were excellent. They were understanding, accommodating and all aimed to work for the student. However, management failed to come down to the level of where the work gets done and understand the processes. Without management knowing the processes they were unable to make good decisions to maintain high student enrolment. Quite often departments were waiting on management to make decisions and it would cause extra stressors on employees. There is also a lot of in house noise not related to the work load which made it to be a toxic environment. I was quite proud to work at NLC for many years but as time went on, Management changed so did the environment.

To dependent on government funding

Good place to work. Management needs to work on communication with employees. Co-workers are what make the place pleasurable. Most courses depend on government funding and right now this is a bad thing in Alberta. Overall, it is a nice place to work and the students are willing to do whatever it takes to succeed.

The opportunity to expand skills and support students in their journey are real selling point for working at NLC. The Counselling Team is fantastic and supportive Management is supportive and cares about the staff.

Busy, interesting,

My days were very busy, the ability to multi task was necessary. Some days I would be in meetings three or four times a day. Travel was also necessary, my job was one of the most interesting and challenging positions I have had

I really look forward to coming to work every day at NLC!

Each day i will learn something new at NLC, I will be challenged to problem solve and work independently or in a team, I will laugh and smile and be serious or inquisitive. My Management team are supportive, and will give me challenges to stretch me to grow as an employee. Opportunities for growth in my profession are encouraged. We like to see others successful in the workplace and strive for top notch service for our clients. It never really gets hard but sometimes it can get demanding as many tasks are time sensitive. What i enjoy most about my work at NLC is the people who come to school here and the people who work here, it makes me feel good to be part of a culture where you can start here and go anywhere.

Benefits

Cons

Teaching Boom truck was a great experience.

I really enjoyed being an Instructor helping students to achieve there goal of becoming a journey man boom truck operator. The hardest part of the job was moving from different locations to teach.

a fun workplace

the job was amazing got to learn new things on the job and had fun meeting and work with new people.The company was outstanding and had great people to work and learn from.

a googd managemet learn a lot of things

the most enjoyable part of the job is being with other people with different personality and its a little bit challenging on how different person work together .

productive and active!

This is a great place to start an career, especially trades. I started with my academic upgrading and loved it. The hands on teachers were amazing and I am sure anyone who attends will love it as well. The move from upgrading to my first year college student was very easy and convenient. I would definitely recommend Northern Lakes College to any student.

Pros

on cite teachers and help

Cons

travelling and no childcare

Great place to work.

I worked for great people and I had excelled in my position from when I had started. I would highly recommend the college for other people to work and for future students.

Pros

Great atmosphere

Cons

having to move away.

It is a good college to work for.

Northern Lakes College is a good college to work for. Benefits and salaries were competitive, and teaching schedules were flexible. The teaching atmosphere was very good, and we were allowed to experiment new stuff. Teacher developments were good. we were allowed to go to teachers' conventions and development.. It is a good college to work for..

productive

good company to work for. must be a self starter, with flexible schedule with summers off and christmas and holidays hardest part of the job is dealing with the high school students each one comes with challenges and experiences

I taught a lot of subjects to a lot of people all at the same time.

I enjoyed the job but not the isolation of a northern First Nations reserve. I liked the honesty and humour of the students. They showed patience with the faulty equipment. I had no co-workers, which was difficult. I had to figure many things out by myself.

Pros

learned a lot

Cons

bad roads, expensive groceries

Great place and people

I was treated extremely well. There was great opportunities for development and advancement. The individualized study with students was fantastic. People and community comes first. A fantastic atmosphere.

Pros

Small town feel

Cons

Great school, great people.

The Peace River campus is full of great people who try their best everyday to meet the needs of the student. I would recommend this college to anyone considering to advance their education.

Productive and friendly place, great staff, lots of laughs.

Answered Phones, made appointments for the Student Counselor, Filed Student files, located student transcripts. Wrote acceptance letters, Mail cards, Info letters, brochures. Delivered mail to the staff.

Pros

Friendly Co-workers

Cons

Sometimes, really slow paced

I enjoy team nursing and exciting new career opportunities.

A typical day at work my be challenging as well as rewarding as a nurse. I strive to give the best care possible to my patients. Responsibility of my actions, excellent patient care and using my best approaches to make clinical decisions that are positive for the care I give is important. I am considerate to co-workers and am a team player. The hardest part of the job is attachment to a palliative pediatric. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing when I go home, I have made a difference in my patients life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Lakes College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement