Northern Health Employee Reviews

Biomedical department
Biomedical Engineering Technologist (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC25 September 2019
I have been working for Northern Health since 2016, and i am enjoying my time. i have learned a lots and i became more efficient. Biomed shop environment is awesome and mangers are helpful.
High stress Prone environment
Mental Health & Addictions Clinician (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC18 September 2019
Staffing issues. No support for training or development. Understaffed. High rate of staff mental health problems. Lack of services for clients. Non-supportive work environment with staff fighting on site.
working at Northern Health
Environmental Service for Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Burns Lake, BC30 August 2019
I enjoyed my time working for Northern Health and I would work for them again. The hardest part of the job was giving my notice and my last day of employment the team I worked with surprised me with a little go away get together. They try their best to be fair to all and balance work and life. There is always education and new things to learn.
Fun, relaxing, and super flexible.
Minor Test Shopper (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC18 May 2019
The hours are whatever you want them to be as the job is super casual. I have worked shifts that are two hours and I have worked ones that are eight hours and more. The position mainly requires you to be on the road a lot as you drive from retailer to retailer. The main points of being an MTS (Minor Test Shopper) are to try and acquire vape and or tobacco products and ensure that all proper signage is in order. When doing day or over-night trips all meals and hotels are paid for up to a certain dollar amount. The staff and supervisors are all really nice and friendly and the job is fun however, the occasional time you will either get yelled at, lectured or just simply ignored... etc. The only problem of this job is once you turn eighteen you are no longer allowed to work for the program as you come to closer to the legal age and blur the lines of the laws concerning entrapment.
Pros
Free meals and hotels... also super flexible.
Cons
Long hours on the road, and occasionally dealing with harsh and aggressive retailers.
A very safe and fun environment to work in
Minor test shopping (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC18 April 2019
This job was very interesting and allowed me to build necessary skills I can take into any other work place. This job was very flexible and was able to work with my daily school schedule.
Unethical place to work for counselors
Mental Health Clinician (Current Employee) –  Ft St John30 January 2019
Northern health is an unethical place to work if you are a counselor especially one with a master's degree. When hired you are told two conflicting ideals: one is you are a counselor and you should provide therapeutic techniques such as DBT or CBT (with little or no training in those specialties) second you are told that you are a case manager and to only provide resources. Why I believe Northern health is unethical is because you have employees with a bachelor degree providing therapy to clients with complex issues or providing therapeutic modalities that they have not be trained to provide such as DBT. Second reason their is no clinical supervision for the counselor with a bachelor or master's degree. Our managers in Northern Health at Ft St John are nurses. Please do yourself a favor and don't bother. To make matters worse they(the management team at Northern Health) have decided to begin micromanaging their team to increase discourse among co workers. Please don't bother
Cons
Unethical
Very much a learning atmosphere, most worked along side each other and some worked alone.
Permanent Part-time (Former Employee) –  Ft. St. John6 January 2019
It was good work experience for working long hours and having a steady work flow. It was a good place to work with good management and with organization.
Pros
Benefits for full time positions, and work experience.
Cons
Limited Management at the time.
Product and fun working place
ITS Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC22 November 2018
It has a great job work / life balance and job security is very good. It gives opportunities to grow within the company and learn from co-workers. The company also provide assistance for you to further your education
Productive and comfortable environment
Support Services (Former Employee) –  Burns Lake, BC26 October 2018
Working for Northern Health was an overall enriching experience. A typical day at work was not overwhelmingly stressful in the Support Services department.
I learned how to work many different jobs, work alone and with a team, deal with high stress situations.
Management was overall very helpful and good.
Workplace culture could become negative occasionally but overall was good.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with unpredictable situations, difficult coworkers and general stress.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people, residents and patients, feeling as though you were enriching people's lives, and learning valuable skills.
Professional and friendly
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC3 October 2018
I am happy with my employment with Northern Health. As a social worker within the hospital, you are never without a new circumstance to learn and help with. the role is very fast paced and you have the ability to interact with numerous health care professionals. from doctors to nurses to OT to PT to other social workers. The list goes on. I have made many good friends from this job. It really is like a family.

Some of the cons include random drama that can sneak into certain floors or departments, some more than others. Sometimes you come up against some doctors that believe they are the end all, be all. if you stick up for yourself and your patients, you will succeed. This job needs someone who is more assertive in their abilities.
Pros
pay, benefits, friendships, tims downstairs, always busy
Cons
parking, long hours on your feet, never any down-time
Lots of room to move around
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC2 October 2018
I worked as a social worker and clinician for approx. 5 years. many jobs to choose from, all with comparable pay and benefits. If you get bored, you can always get into a new department to keep your self fresh and not get burned out. To much restructuring means that you can be BUMPED and displaced sometimes, which is a HUGE downfall to the organization.
Pros
regular hours
Cons
have to pay for parking
Excellent environment
Maintenance Supervisor Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC23 September 2018
Love everything about working in Prince Rupert at the hospital, friendly people. Great community, beautiful mountains, great views of the ocean. Great place to be.
Pros
Projects to explore
Cons
Pay could be better
Toxic workplace
Biomedical Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC11 September 2018
Toxic work environment. Management openly cultivates favouritism and rewards laziness and dishonesty. Culture of incompetence and extreme political correctnes.
Terrible experience with no support from management and bullying from coworkers
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC3 April 2018
Northern health is poorly structured under funded and disorganized. It seems it would be possible to streamline care if there was some consistency in management, mulltiple people doing the same job and they all disagree. An employer that feeds into bullying and negative workplace culture. No support for employees. A very blame the victim approach. Retention in this place will not improve unless they can hire more baseline staff and stop spending on made up supervisor positions.
Pros
Wage
Cons
Dread going to work
Could be a good place to work if not for long time employees stonewalling.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Ft St John21 March 2018
Worst employment experience. Moved up North to gain more work experience in my chosen field. Supervisor was rude condescending and impatient. Training technique is outdated. Department short staffed and senior employees unwilling to help answer questions due to their work load, which would be managable if there were fewer lengthy stories and gossip. Upper management turned a blind eye and permitted unprofessional employees to rule the roost. So dissapointing.
Pros
Beautiful facility
Cons
Rude senior employees. Unsupportive co workers made job impossible to perform safely.
Filled in for maternity leave
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  La Ronge, SK28 November 2017
Enjoyed learning about the SK Health - especially with being a new employee to provincial government. Good staff to work for. Wish I could have stayed longer.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
1 year only
Great work place and culture
MANAGER, CAPITAL PROJECTS (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC19 November 2017
Typical day included development of assigned projects
Team collaboration
Site meetings
project delivery tasks
Management was unique but tailored to the Northern BC culture
The workplace culture was warm and friendly, accessible
The hardest part of job - implementing newer processes
The most enjoyable - working in a warm and friendly environment, in addition to working with the various project teams throughout Northern BC.
Pros
Working with a great group of people in the north
Cons
Timeframe to implement improvement processes
Memorable
Clinical Practice Leader (Current Employee) –  Smithers, BC15 October 2017
Have spent majority of my career here. Dynamic and geographically challenging - presenting multiple opportunities for many medically based careers.
No further comments.
Pros
Consistent employment
Cons
Leadership can be inconsistent from HSA to HSA.
Great place to work.
Cook/ Food service (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC6 September 2017
Work is a little boring
People are nice
resident are Friendly and likable
Great benefits management team is considerate knows staff well.
help full and caring.
Pros
pension
Cons
long time to get a postion
Productive workplace
Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC16 August 2017
A typical day at work is basically caring for the elderly, who can no longer care for themselves. We toilet them throughout the shift, its a very heavy job. At the end of the day we do our report and do our work sheets.
Pros
Spend time with people
Cons
Hard to not bring home sometimes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Health. Our community is ready to answer.