Northern Health
Happiness score is 61 out of 100

Northern Health Employee Reviews

Canada90 reviews

healthstaffsupportworkercarepositionlifeteam

Good place to work - lots of room for growth

I worked in the clinic within the hospital. The doctors can be challenging to work with but if you keep an open mind and attitude its actually a good job, union, regular raises, good benefits. Overall I would work here again. I only left because I moved back to Alberta.

Good place to start

Hard to feel successful due to lack of resources in community, adherence to policy, fiscal restraint. Not a lot of people have enough experience to train new employees.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Stressful

Insights into Northern Health

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Support from manager

Problems with the healthcare system trickle down

In a unionized position pay is to be expected, but it is low for the cost of living. Lack of physicians and the unwillingness to go the extra mile to hire physicians leaves us with no doctor coverage way too often. Patients wait way to long and it is frustrating to see and not be able to help. High level corporate management needs to address these underlying issues. Work environment is fairly friendly, relaxed or stressful depends on the day.

Good

Hours differentiated with every area that you worked. The people were generally down to earth and easy to work with. the work load itself is hard but nothing that can not be managed. Overall good place to work

Very fast paced

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Northern Health except for the pay. Stores Attendants are just not paid well and the pay caps very quickly. The people were generally great to work with.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Low wage

Great place

Northern Health is great place to work. All staff is kind. Nursing team works well together. Managers are very involved and caring. Only thing they need is more nurses.

Standard BC Health Authority

Nothing special, but as much work as you can handle with lots of opportunities to do what you want as a nurse.Education, training, etc all there. Solid workplace culture.

No room for growth

Northern health is a very large workplace with many different departments. You're segregated to your specific skills etc. No real opportunity to advance unless you go back to school.

Pros and Cons

The things about the position itself aren't bad, but sometimes the culture gets to you. Bullying runs rampant despite being "bullying free," management can't or won't do anything about it, and morale is often low. In rural communities, you get what you get as far as workers go: some are great, some should've retired a decade ago. It isn't the worst health authority to work for, but it needs a good overhaul.

Don’t applyHit the ground running

No support from management there is never leadership when you need it. There is a huge turnaround with managers. Everyone eventually gets physically, hurt or exhausted, people go on stress leave. A continuous understaffed situation. Working with bullies is never fun. Absolutely understaffed, I’ve never worked a shift with full staff.Terrible working environment. You are on your own to make decisions on your feet because there is no one available to ask. You are constantly asked to work overtime because of the lack of staff. There is no sense of pride in working here because it’s impossible to do a good job. There is no sense of enjoyment as the staff are rude and short with other staff. Overworked underpaidNo team work, everyone passes the buck, no one gives any guidance, there is a huge staff turn around all the time. I trained people when I wasn’t properly trained myself. Always going way above scope of practice not because you want to but there is an underlying understanding not to bother finding answers just figure it out because if you do ask questions you are treated like you are a nuisance. You are never praised or thanked for a job well done but are quick to be ridiculed for things that are out of your hands. I have never worked in such a cesspool of angry, tired, spiteful workers in my life as I did in northern health. I feel sorry for the families who have no choice but to rely on our failed health care system. I would not wish this lack of care on anyone. It’s stressful knowing you gave it your all at work and it wasn’t enough. I would never suggest to anyone -

Pros

Cons

Unorganized Underpaid Staff not valued

Very stressful environment with understaffing, time crunch on patient care, not enough support from management.

Work as a care aide at a complex care facility is very rewarding but the work environment is often toxic, understaffed, unsupported, rushed, time crunched, harried and gives the feeling of not giving enough time to each resident's care.We are asked to give our best but are not compensated equally. The work can be hard, injury prone and even dangerous. We are promised protection from harm but it is not followed through with any sort of action. With not enough staff at all times, there is often the possibility to get distressed or hurt by a resident and no back-up through extra staff.We want to provide the best care but can only do so much in the time slot that can be allotted to each person.Many of us feel stressed and helpless and want to feel appreciated by the management. The budget always seems to overrule the needs of all.

Pros

Rewarding work and great interaction with the residents in our care.

Cons

Long hours, understaffed, rushed care, not enough support through management.

Good place, good team

I feel lucky, I love my job, and the team and manager are really nice. The only problem is, the short staffing. We are always in a run, and doing more hours than supposed to, to support every patient. We need more staff.

Pros

Nice environment

Cons

Short staffing

A very toxic work environment.

The Fort St. John Health Unit is a very oppressive place to work. The office culture tolerates unprofessional and inappropriate behavior. Many of the employees are unskilled and there is very little training without any mentoring or guidance. Hence there is inconsistency in job performance. There is constant staff turnover as a result of very poor leadership and inconsistent messaging. This workplace needs to clean house and hire managers and leaders based on their abilities rather than favoritism. Save yourself the experience...simply not worth it!

Pros

Wages

Cons

Poor leadership and lack of skilled workers

Working for a union who rewards lazy, incompetent people is not a good time.

Worst work experience ever. Horrible team leader who is useless but got the job on 'seniority' only. No clear direction given. NH doesn't care about their employees, in my opinion. Would definitely NOT recommend.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Union, poor mgmt

Very poor

Not worth you time of day… management in most areas love you bully you. AND when you happen to get pulled in with HR do NOT expect professionalism they as well like to make sure you know you’re just a number and can be replaced. 10 years I wasted trying to find a good spot to work, spent 7 years with one site then was bullied by managers till I left. Now have 3 mental health diagnoses PSTD, Anxiety are the two of the most difficult ones to deal with.

Pros

Absolutely NOTHING

Cons

Absolutely EVERYTHING

Initially thought it would be a good employer, despite the reputation.

Management is terrible. Micro managed. Conflicting directions. Very poor workplace dynamics. Lonely place to work, co workers are very cliquish. Little to no support. Unaccommodating. Little regard for the HRC. No training. I would not recommend.

Pros

Pay

Very Stressful during Covid

Administrative Clerks are moving away from their clerical duties and being placed in nursing duties, like screening patients and handling covid lab work and requisitions. If you like clerical its not really part of your job as much as nursing duties that take you away from your desk.

Disappointing place to work.

Working in health care can and should be rewarding, this is not the case here. Northern Health does not promote a workplace of belonging nor are there options for advancement. Sadly you cannot live on the salary you make here. You will be undervalued as a good employee while employees who work the system and rarely show up to work will be protected.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Salary, hours/shifts, no advancement options, under appreciated by management.

A great team

I am very lucky to be working with such great team and management. Everyone has their own work style but can still work as a team! I love coming to work and helping residents with their ADL’s and as well support them while living with a mental health condition.

Pharmacy technician

It was amazing to work for. Wish I never left but life had other plans. The people were amazing and the experience was incredible. Would recommend to almost anyone. You must like the cold though. It is NORTHERN health.

Toxic

Management does not value employees or have compassion for employees. This makes it hard to manage within the environment and show empathy for employees. Too often, management leads with ego making it difficult to be heard.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement