Northern Health

Northern Health Employee Reviews

Canada61 reviews
Northern Health is growing!
The north is growing! Opportunity to be engaged with a dedicated healthcare organization that employ some wonderful staff committed to exemplary healthcare across northern British Columbia and the communities they work and live in.
N/a
Northern Health is a very caring workplace to any staff. The only disadvantages are weather and workforce. I worked in a remote area that has a weird weather and a workplace that always has a difficulty of finding a sufficient staff.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Cold Weather
Professional and couteous
NH is a great place to work. Needs more full time positions. The manager is very personable. I would recommend to my friends to work for Northern Health.
very slow paced
clients are few and far between except for k-clinic season. very hard to find things to pass the time should not be a full time job. Not a good place for someone who is young, retirement community, not many young people, not alot of other nurses (maybe 1 in the community)..very hard to make coworkers as friends or have social life there
Fantastic place to work
Amazing people, fabulous boss, very accepting and willing to help and assist. Relaxed, just a great place to work overall. Best job I have ever had thus far.
Too much management
There are too many mangers in one area and none in anther.
Not enough focus on patient care.

Management isn't accountable to staff and just turns a bling eye.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
No extra benefits, no team atmosphere
A friendly safe environment to work.
I enjoy working for Northern Health but the pay is not enough to live on unless you have the opportunity to work overtime. I have to work another part time job to make ends meet.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
No overtime
Work/Life Imbalance, Unappreciated. Don't Walk, Run!
As with many NH facilities this is run through a top down approach that is divisive and paternalistic. Sometimes culturally insensitive, NH branded site manager has modelled and created a culture that puts health centres and departments at odds despite a close knit community and interdependence. Many staff yearn to connect and work together. Conflict, competition, and negative behaviours are left unresolved.

Personnel are hard working, regularly work OT, and when ill to get their job done and more since our staff pool is limited. Staff are expected to wear various hats to keep this place running well. It would be great if all department positions were filled and we could hang on to highly skilled staff long enough to create culture shifts and positive change.

Missing breaks are a regular occurrence. We regularly work short and without regular managerial support, with a revolving door of managers none lasting longer than a year. No pharm tech, unit clerk, regular RCAs/LPNS, stock personnel. No investment is being made to recruit or retain any staff. NH thinks it’s appropriate to have New Grads run a rural, remote hospital and provide minimal ER training and educational opportunity. No wonder there is high turn over, positions vacant, and constant burnout.
Pros
Location, Community
Cons
No breaks, short staffed, unhealthy work environment
management
Management needs to listen to the employees. Help when they are short handed, when a worker does something wrong they need to displine and not play favourte to other workers. Also stop bullying from other workers and management doesn't do anything.
A tough place to work if you really care.
My experience is based on my work ethic which supersedes most other employees. The level of care given by 99% of my colleagues is sub-standard at best. Environment is stressful with the workloads on the best days...then there are co-workers who are bullies and rude to staff and residents alike. Residents are not bathed properly or often enough...left in soiled beds, food is sub-standard. New staff is harassed by old staff. This is a tough environment for a hard worker as good workers are cajoled and degraded.
Good place to work with lots of room for advancement.
I highly enjoyed working for Northern Health and made a lot of really good friends there. All of my positions at NH were challenging in their own way and I liked each one of them very much.
Good hours, great benefits,
Great place to work, great people all around between public health and primary care. Parking is not the greatest and can be a challenge. Cost of living in PG is affordable.
Apply
Loved working for northern health would definently suggest working for them very understanding of anything that comes up and great place to work. Best place i have worked as a care aide
Fast paced can be high stress
It can be very fast paced working on the hospital schedule. Management is pretty tolerable. The co-workers are amazing (there is always 1-2 bad seeds wherever you work). The pay isn't terrible but of course more is always better. All in all I would recommend working for Northern Health.
Biomedical department
I have been working for Northern Health since 2016, and i am enjoying my time. i have learned a lots and i became more efficient. Biomed shop environment is awesome and mangers are helpful.
High stress Prone environment
Staffing issues. No support for training or development. Understaffed. High rate of staff mental health problems. Lack of services for clients. Non-supportive work environment with staff fighting on site.
Supportive management
The jobs I have had with northern health have been great. Management has been excellent and very supportive. Co workers have been great as well. I feel like my job security is great and there is no lack of work.
working at Northern Health
I enjoyed my time working for Northern Health and I would work for them again. The hardest part of the job was giving my notice and my last day of employment the team I worked with surprised me with a little go away get together. They try their best to be fair to all and balance work and life. There is always education and new things to learn.
Fun, relaxing, and super flexible.
The hours are whatever you want them to be as the job is super casual. I have worked shifts that are two hours and I have worked ones that are eight hours and more. The position mainly requires you to be on the road a lot as you drive from retailer to retailer. The main points of being an MTS (Minor Test Shopper) are to try and acquire vape and or tobacco products and ensure that all proper signage is in order. When doing day or over-night trips all meals and hotels are paid for up to a certain dollar amount. The staff and supervisors are all really nice and friendly and the job is fun however, the occasional time you will either get yelled at, lectured or just simply ignored... etc. The only problem of this job is once you turn eighteen you are no longer allowed to work for the program as you come to closer to the legal age and blur the lines of the laws concerning entrapment.
Pros
Free meals and hotels... also super flexible.
Cons
Long hours on the road, and occasionally dealing with harsh and aggressive retailers.
A very safe and fun environment to work in
This job was very interesting and allowed me to build necessary skills I can take into any other work place. This job was very flexible and was able to work with my daily school schedule.
Unethical place to work for counselors
Northern health is an unethical place to work if you are a counselor especially one with a master's degree. When hired you are told two conflicting ideals: one is you are a counselor and you should provide therapeutic techniques such as DBT or CBT (with little or no training in those specialties) second you are told that you are a case manager and to only provide resources. Why I believe Northern health is unethical is because you have employees with a bachelor degree providing therapy to clients with complex issues or providing therapeutic modalities that they have not be trained to provide such as DBT. Second reason their is no clinical supervision for the counselor with a bachelor or master's degree. Our managers in Northern Health at Ft St John are nurses. Please do yourself a favor and don't bother. To make matters worse they(the management team at Northern Health) have decided to begin micromanaging their team to increase discourse among co workers. Please don't bother
Cons
Unethical
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Health. Our community is ready to answer.