Northern Health

Northern Health Employee Reviews

i enjoyed my time at northern health knowing exactly what to do every shift was a nice change after working in the food service industry. I would happily apply for another house keeping position if it was full time
Pros
lots of work
Cons
gossip
I have worked at several locations in Northern Health but Fraser Lake was by far the worst. Very few employees were happy, most recent management was terrible giving the attitude of shut up and do your job. Dealing with an increasingly angry public over wait times is stressfull to say the least. I currently still work there in two different departments but have listed my house so I can move away.
Pros
Pay check.
Cons
Zero joy in the workplace
Review of Peace Villa (Fort St. John) - Management bullies & harasses employees - Management don't care about residents & staff - Very unorganized (chaotic) - heavy workload - does not have resident's & staff's best interest - No consequence for bad staff - No incentive for good staff - Very racist - lots of racism all around and management don't care, they are racist too - Payroll always makes mistakes - No Christmas parties or Christmas bonus or Christmas gifts - No free coffee for staff - Old staff bullies new staff Don't work here. Very high turn-over, lots of staff leaving (RCA's, LPN's, RN's and office staff) I put 1965 as start date (not true, just to be anonymous)
Pros
Cons
too many to list
there is no lean or peak season like other jobs you need to be laid off because of weather conditions. Normal pace as we work in the health authority serving the north. Fringe benefits for the employee and family. Working environment is great, you are treated like family and gain friends and good work experience.
Like most small communities, politics are huge. If you are an outsider, you will always be one. The motto in Northern Health's corporate office is to keep the status quo. Nearly everyone is a local and this isn't an accident. Gossip runs rampant. Perhaps, there are some good people but unfortunately there are enough bad ones to completely ruin the place. There are plenty of other health authorities in B.C. and you should avoid this one at all costs.
Pros
Cons
Gossip, Lack of accountability and transparency
The environment is toxic and management and overall structure is based on ego. Let's put a health professional in a management job with no training, that will go well. lol There is no culture unless you count bullying and discrimination. Discriminated for having health issues in a health industry!
Pros
Good pay
Cons
culture
The north is growing! Opportunity to be engaged with a dedicated healthcare organization that employ some wonderful staff committed to exemplary healthcare across northern British Columbia and the communities they work and live in.
Northern Health is a very caring workplace to any staff. The only disadvantages are weather and workforce. I worked in a remote area that has a weird weather and a workplace that always has a difficulty of finding a sufficient staff.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Cold Weather
NH is a great place to work. Needs more full time positions. The manager is very personable. I would recommend to my friends to work for Northern Health.
clients are few and far between except for k-clinic season. very hard to find things to pass the time should not be a full time job. Not a good place for someone who is young, retirement community, not many young people, not alot of other nurses (maybe 1 in the community)..very hard to make coworkers as friends or have social life there
Amazing people, fabulous boss, very accepting and willing to help and assist. Relaxed, just a great place to work overall. Best job I have ever had thus far.
There are too many mangers in one area and none in anther. Not enough focus on patient care. Management isn't accountable to staff and just turns a bling eye.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
No extra benefits, no team atmosphere
I enjoy working for Northern Health but the pay is not enough to live on unless you have the opportunity to work overtime. I have to work another part time job to make ends meet.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
No overtime
As with many NH facilities this is run through a top down approach that is divisive and paternalistic. Sometimes culturally insensitive, NH branded site manager has modelled and created a culture that puts health centres and departments at odds despite a close knit community and interdependence. Many staff yearn to connect and work together. Conflict, competition, and negative behaviours are left unresolved. Personnel are hard working, regularly work OT, and when ill to get their job done and more since our staff pool is limited. Staff are expected to wear various hats to keep this place running well. It would be great if all department positions were filled and we could hang on to highly skilled staff long enough to create culture shifts and positive change. Missing breaks are a regular occurrence. We regularly work short and without regular managerial support, with a revolving door of managers none lasting longer than a year. No pharm tech, unit clerk, regular RCAs/LPNS, stock personnel. No investment is being made to recruit or retain any staff. NH thinks it’s appropriate to have New Grads run a rural, remote hospital and provide minimal ER training and educational opportunity. No wonder there is high turn over, positions vacant, and constant burnout.
Pros
Location, Community
Cons
No breaks, short staffed, unhealthy work environment
Management needs to listen to the employees. Help when they are short handed, when a worker does something wrong they need to displine and not play favourte to other workers. Also stop bullying from other workers and management doesn't do anything.
My experience is based on my work ethic which supersedes most other employees. The level of care given by 99% of my colleagues is sub-standard at best. Environment is stressful with the workloads on the best days...then there are co-workers who are bullies and rude to staff and residents alike. Residents are not bathed properly or often enough...left in soiled beds, food is sub-standard. New staff is harassed by old staff. This is a tough environment for a hard worker as good workers are cajoled and degraded.
I highly enjoyed working for Northern Health and made a lot of really good friends there. All of my positions at NH were challenging in their own way and I liked each one of them very much.
Great place to work, great people all around between public health and primary care. Parking is not the greatest and can be a challenge. Cost of living in PG is affordable.
Loved working for northern health would definently suggest working for them very understanding of anything that comes up and great place to work. Best place i have worked as a care aide
It can be very fast paced working on the hospital schedule. Management is pretty tolerable. The co-workers are amazing (there is always 1-2 bad seeds wherever you work). The pay isn't terrible but of course more is always better. All in all I would recommend working for Northern Health.
I have been working for Northern Health since 2016, and i am enjoying my time. i have learned a lots and i became more efficient. Biomed shop environment is awesome and mangers are helpful.
  1. Employee reviews