Northern Health Employee Reviews

Professional and friendly
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC3 October 2018
I am happy with my employment with Northern Health. As a social worker within the hospital, you are never without a new circumstance to learn and help with. the role is very fast paced and you have the ability to interact with numerous health care professionals. from doctors to nurses to OT to PT to other social workers. The list goes on. I have made many good friends from this job. It really is like a family.

Some of the cons include random drama that can sneak into certain floors or departments, some more than others. Sometimes you come up against some doctors that believe they are the end all, be all. if you stick up for yourself and your patients, you will succeed. This job needs someone who is more assertive in their abilities.
Pros
pay, benefits, friendships, tims downstairs, always busy
Cons
parking, long hours on your feet, never any down-time
Excellent environment
Maintenance Supervisor Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC23 September 2018
Love everything about working in Prince Rupert at the hospital, friendly people. Great community, beautiful mountains, great views of the ocean. Great place to be.
Pros
Projects to explore
Cons
Pay could be better
Toxic workplace
Biomedical Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC11 September 2018
Toxic work environment. Management openly cultivates favouritism and rewards laziness and dishonesty. Culture of incompetence and extreme political correctnes.
Terrible experience with no support from management and bullying from coworkers
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC3 April 2018
Northern health is poorly structured under funded and disorganized. It seems it would be possible to streamline care if there was some consistency in management, mulltiple people doing the same job and they all disagree. An employer that feeds into bullying and negative workplace culture. No support for employees. A very blame the victim approach. Retention in this place will not improve unless they can hire more baseline staff and stop spending on made up supervisor positions.
Pros
Wage
Cons
Dread going to work
Could be a good place to work if not for long time employees stonewalling.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Ft St John21 March 2018
Worst employment experience. Moved up North to gain more work experience in my chosen field. Supervisor was rude condescending and impatient. Training technique is outdated. Department short staffed and senior employees unwilling to help answer questions due to their work load, which would be managable if there were fewer lengthy stories and gossip. Upper management turned a blind eye and permitted unprofessional employees to rule the roost. So dissapointing.
Pros
Beautiful facility
Cons
Rude senior employees. Unsupportive co workers made job impossible to perform safely.
Filled in for maternity leave
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  La Ronge, SK28 November 2017
Enjoyed learning about the SK Health - especially with being a new employee to provincial government. Good staff to work for. Wish I could have stayed longer.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
1 year only
Great work place and culture
MANAGER, CAPITAL PROJECTS (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC19 November 2017
Typical day included development of assigned projects
Team collaboration
Site meetings
project delivery tasks
Management was unique but tailored to the Northern BC culture
The workplace culture was warm and friendly, accessible
The hardest part of job - implementing newer processes
The most enjoyable - working in a warm and friendly environment, in addition to working with the various project teams throughout Northern BC.
Pros
Working with a great group of people in the north
Cons
Timeframe to implement improvement processes
Memorable
Clinical Practice Leader (Current Employee) –  Smithers, BC15 October 2017
Have spent majority of my career here. Dynamic and geographically challenging - presenting multiple opportunities for many medically based careers.
No further comments.
Pros
Consistent employment
Cons
Leadership can be inconsistent from HSA to HSA.
Great place to work.
Cook/ Food service (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC6 September 2017
Work is a little boring
People are nice
resident are Friendly and likable
Great benefits management team is considerate knows staff well.
help full and caring.
Pros
pension
Cons
long time to get a postion
Productive workplace
Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC16 August 2017
A typical day at work is basically caring for the elderly, who can no longer care for themselves. We toilet them throughout the shift, its a very heavy job. At the end of the day we do our report and do our work sheets.
Pros
Spend time with people
Cons
Hard to not bring home sometimes
fast paced, fun environment
Nursing Allocator (Former Employee) –  Epping, Victoria, AUSTRALIA8 August 2017
I learnt medical terms and how the wards worked.
Management was great, very helpful & supportive at all times.
Not being able to cover shifts was the hardest part of the job.
The most enjoyable part of the job was filling all the shift vacancies.
Pros
free flu vaccines, lunches
Organisationally one of the best
Nursing leadership (Former Employee) –  Smithers, BC25 July 2017
Excellent organisation with many challenges synonymous with healthcare worldwide.
As an employer... I would highly recommend; the focus on both staff and patient experience is excellent and from the patient safety perspective there is good evidence of organisational learning.
Work life balance is excellent and for anybody wanting to explore the real canadian experience British Columbia is the place to be.
Good Salary, flexible hours
Nursing aide/Home support (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC10 July 2017
Management was very disorganized. high salary, tons of available hours of work. friendly co workers. respected by management. poor communication from management to employees though.
Positive Work Enviroment
Permanent LPN (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC7 June 2017
Great management, support care team. I love my job wit northern health. I feel very supported and am always learning new things! The management is very involved and are supportive to the employees working under them. The facilities are well maintained and safe.
Worst Employer
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC29 April 2017
So disorganized. Their motto is that they are "flying the plane as they build it".
Management is non-existent, I have no idea what they do, other than sit in their offices and stir up trouble amongst their employees.
There was no consistency at my site which was brought up several times with no support from management.
Training is non-existent, my supervisor shoved me in a room for a week and said "read this". Never really came to check on me or go over the part of orientation that she was to do verbally.
I was hired for one position but was told after being hired that I was going to be doing another job.
It was not disclosed to me that people in my office were being asked to do things that are beyond their scope of practice and often unethical.
We were often told that we are not counsellors or therapists but were asked to use therapeutic techniques in our roles (CBT). We were not provided with proper training for CBT, Northern Health has you complete a learning module (~1 hour) on it, in reality if you take the course, it is offered over 2-3 days. When asked about proper training, I was told that we would not be provided with it but were still expected to use it.
My supervisor found it appropriate the belittle, berate me and yell at me, which is why I will be leaving shortly.
I would avoid Northern Health at all costs.
Straight forward, good work.
Linen Services (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC10 April 2017
I came, I saw, I worked, for what short time I did. What is there to like or dislike? The hospital is functioning, even at the levels I worked, this is a good sign. Could it function better? Well couldn't all things to some degree? Everything was great regardless. Pay was fair for what I was in. Co-workers were sufficient at their tasks, as the staff looked to be. All in all a good job for anyone to get their feet wet, great section of the government for any aspiring citizen to want to join/work/improve.
Pros
Day went by quick.
Cons
N/a
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC29 December 2016
Hand out medications. Help care aids. Help RN's. Typical nursing duties. Hardest part of job was not knowing when i would be working (casual position). Another hard part was seeing people suffer or end of life situations. Loved my coworkers (very knowledgeable, supportive, and available). The most rewarding part of the job was touching peoples lives. I felt valuable helping people feel better. Watching the miracles of modern medicine.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Casual
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC14 December 2016
people are awesome easy job most especially all the employees are partime student so its not stressful for them gives a positive feedback to what you do excellent customer service
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
busy
Good experience
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC31 August 2016
Enjoyed it while I was there. It wasn't a glamorous job but the management was good and it was steady work. Too repetitive for me.
working in a group and alone and meeting different people from different culture
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON17 June 2016
I like to work alone as well as working in a group. I learn how I can manage my time and be more organize in my work. the most enjoyable part is meeting different people from different culture. the hardest part of the job will be when doing that does not belong to you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Health. Our community is ready to answer.