North York General Hospital Employee Reviews

no career advancements
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  North York, ON21 May 2018
The staff is amazing in some units but unit politics still exists. Everyone is under so much pressure. The hospital continues to cut funding for the patient care units and expect nurses to work like animals. There is no appreciation for going out of your way. God forbid you do something the management does not approve of, you will forever be the underdog. Managers are non-supportive and favoritism exists everywhere. No career advancements regardless of how much time you put in. it's always about budgets. Benefits are horrible. Pay is at minimum. God forbid you get sick and have to take time off. That is considered a huge sin in book of NYGH. OCC health will haunt you for life.
Pros
the staff regardless of how horrible the management is
Cons
everything else
Engineering Student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 February 2018
This is a culture friendly space and open for innovative design to improve patient care. Everyone is helpful in their service. The benefits are also amazing.
Pros
Awesome Cafeteria!
Excellent place to work
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 December 2018
NYGH is a very interesting place to work. It has a create patient centred culture and you feel as if you're taking care of patients with the best team by your side.
Great Potential but falls far from the mark
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Diverse areas of care15 April 2018
Zero patient harm is the "Gold Standard " and goal for all stakeholders within healthcare. It is the right thing to do for patients and families and is fundamental to delivering the best possible care, and fully aligned with healthcare's core values, from compassion and respect to quality and excellence. Recent in house surveys reveals a lack of evidence-based leadership skill required to engage North York General staff with the understanding and skill to embrace change. There is a preponderance of evidence-based indicators outlining the need for follower-ship engagement to be driven around the ‘how' of leadership however despite management learning modules the present management styles persist in a rigid punitive manner.
Pros
Tim Rutledge is an approachable and discerning CEO and President. (sadly he is leaving)
Cons
Punitive middle management
Good place to work,and provide care to our patients
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 November 2018
Great Hospital to work,and happy to be part of this great place-hospital. Hospital with Philosophy of Patient-focused Care concept and principles and the mission and the Values of Nort York General Hospital
Supportive and Encouraging environment to work in.
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Labour & Delivery12 August 2018
For a very busy work atmosphere, it still had compassionate and supportive approach to each and very day. When needed management gave a supportive hand and worked alongside us!
Productive and lot's of things to learn
STUDENT INTERN RN (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 January 2019
I learned a lot from the facility and nurses that I work with. I am happy I did my internship in that hospital. I would like to apply and work there and be part of the team that once taught me.
workplace culture
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 September 2018
amazing people for a small hospital. love the people. i have been there for 3 years and the culture is great. patient centered care and proud to be a part of it.
Employees
MEDICAL OFFICE ASSISTANT (EXTERNSHIP) (Former Employee) –  North York, ON28 August 2018
The employees are friendly. They are approachable and easy to talk to about everything. If you are confused with your work you can easily talk to them and they are more than willing to help.
Kitchen duties
Health Management, Leslie and Sheppard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 November 2015
I was a porter/general help. I time in when I first come in to work, put on an apron and go directly to the dish room because the job is not complete if I leave unclean items in there or if something isn't finished by the end of my 5 hour work period.

I learned that teamwork is important because complaints and complements can both effect your long Gevity there.

My co- workers were positive towards the work and other people. I could see myself working with those type of people a long time.

The hardest part is on Fridays when I used to have to do extra for example: clean the deep fryer and other kitchen items because its the end of the week and I would have to make everything clean for Monday.

Free Lunch there were different food restaurants I had could go to within the hospital.
Pros
Benefits: perscriptions drugs, dental, parking
Cons
Can't discuss work hours due to kitchen regulations.
Super micro-management
NOT WANT TO REMEBER (Former Employee) –  GENERAL7 April 2014
TELLING Employees OF JOB CUT WHILE DOING UNNECESSARY AND COSTLY CHANGES LIKE CHANGE IN HOSPITAL SIGN, GIVING MANAGEMENT RAISE AND BONUSES.

Complete micromanagement.
Getting full-time job means they thing they own employee.
Non trustworthy mangers, speaks complete different behind your back.
Pros
good benefits, comparatively stable job
Cons
Unhealthy and stressful job culture, To increase productivity their subtle force to take short cuts
Provided the great opportunity of Radiography and CT scan and professional development.
Medical Radiation Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 October 2014
North york General Hospital a Leading employer and family environment workplace where i enjoyed challenging and rewarding carrier performing all radiography and CT(Non contrast Head) implementing proper procedures Health,Safety,and radiation protection to the patients with respect and dignity to their culture.It's an equal opportunity work place for everyone providing compensation and benefits to all employee including pension plan.
The challenging part of the job was balancing to treat emerge patients and perform CT examination of prior appointed patients at same time using the accountibility and experience with communication and team work with other staff with the great outcome.
Being an immigrant and english as a second language I had difficultyto understand the accent of the people at the begining so to cross that barrier I joined some language learning classes and it helped me to get throgh it.
Pros
Lunch and learn programs for professional development
Cons
Emerge patients hevy workflow and duties requested by the supervisor.
The staff are all accomodating and very friendly.
Medical Office Assistant Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 May 2018
it was indeed a priceless experience to be able to handle a busy day in a hospital as a medical secretary. with the help of the friendly and very accomodating staff, my whole experince at NYGH was amazing,
Like the location and everything
Coordinator, IS and Data management (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 May 2018
The working environment is nice, and most colleagues has been working there for a long time. The facility is at the best location in the city where it is close to hwy and subway stations.
Lowest paid hospital in GTA, but good work culture
Physiotherapist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 May 2018
NYGH is a great place to work... Recent changes have shifted dynamics to ++ patient centred cared... Amazing colleagues. Lowest paid hospital in GTA...
Good place to work at
Nursing Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2018
All the staff at this facility are respectful and understanding. Better to travel to this location by car rather than public transit as taking the bus requires you to walk for a bit.
Very supportive and education based employment
Registered Nurse - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2016
I enjoy coming o work .If there is a problem we all are able to communicate and work out our problems. I feel privileged to be able to come into this work daily and increase my knowledge base as well as look after the clients. The employees here have gone out of their way to assist the patients and also be supportive to their family. We involve family in their care.
I was able to communicate with management professionally about anything that is of concern on the unit and we would all work things out.
There is also room for advancement in this profession and we are supported to go back to school.
Ive been employed with NYGH for approx 20 years and I am happy that I will work for numerous years ahead.
Professionally we are here for our patients.
Pros
Supportive upper management and co workers
Cons
at times environment can be violent
Terrible place to work
MLT (Former Employee) –  Molecular lab29 August 2017
I worked in the molecular genetics lab. It was a work culture filled with bullying, harassment, and abuse. Management and human resources are aware of the issue but do nothing to help. Staff turn-over is very high. Do not work in the molecular lab at NYGH. The majority of the people working there are borderline psychotic, as all of the normal/decent people have left. It is the most abnormal and toxic work environment I have ever experienced.
co op placement for high school
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2018
count the tell before the shift
be at the cash register from 1-4
attend any calls in the gift shop
deliver any gifts given to the patients in the hospital from loved ones
Medical and Laboratory Professionals
Database Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2018
Great office workplace and friendly people. Easy to feel comfortable and productive. Able to help out in stressed areas to keep laboratory operation at peek performances.
Pros
group lunches and birthday parties

Ask a question about working or interviewing at North York General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

North York General Hospital Reviews by Location