North York General Hospital
Happiness score is 72 out of 100

North York General Hospital Employee Reviews

Canada144 reviews

Productive and challenging environment

The hospital is really good place to learn the environment is fast paced and very friendly there is lots of collaborative between the IS team. Folks are very help.

Fast paced.good place to work

Really nice place to work. Team is extremely good. Supervisors and managers coach you for the best in you. Flexible, good experience, if you have a great team then you are all set.

Insights into North York General Hospital

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose

Good environment but fast pace

Working at North York general is a great reward friendly staff and great patients. Despite being stressful sometimes the environment itself is not toxic. We worked as team which is very vital.

Some times you don't receive enough shifts for pay your bills. Is better you have other job for help to pay your bills. Managers and supervisors all they are great persons.

No communication, teamwork, neg work environment

There's a lot to learn from this security team mostly it's the things you do not want to do. There's a lot of learning experience however you are on your own. No teamwork among the teams it's every team for them selfs so find a group fast everyone only backs up their friends.No communication between the departments besides just firing people and having no idea what goes on.A very negative work environment with toxic security staff. Lay low keep to your self play nice with emergency staff and not worry about others then you are set.Stay away from the bad stuff that happens within the security department and you will be successful in life.

Friendly staff, but can be stressful

Everyone is very friendly for the most part, but depending on the unit you working, the environment can be very stressful, and the scheduling makes it difficult to have a good work life balance, if you work full time. The benefits are amazing though.

the job was good - hours were okay

There was a routine so it wasn’t too hard. Work environment was okay & management was reasonable. Coworkers were nice & the pay was good. Part time shifts were four hours only.

An excellent hospital with a friendly and approachable nursing, allied-health, and physician team. Wages are lower than most hospitals in GTA.

2-3 years with the hospital. Lots of learning opportunities since it can get quite busy. Non-hostile work environment. Relatively appropriate patient assignments and patient ratios. Wages definitely need to be reassessed since it is not up to par with other GTA hospitals, especially during a high rate of inflation in the GTA.

No opportunity for growth

Great hospital, but leadership needs to invest and mentor valuable and hard working staff to grow and advance. There is little to no opportunity to grow at NYGH.

Overall good experience.

Management is professional and very approachableLately the department is always shortstaffed. I'm casual so I get to make my own schedule and I love that aspect of the job.

Pros

Some staff are always willing to help

Cons

Clique culture at times.

Great staff, fast paced, areas to grow.

A fast paced, collaborative environment with amazing people throughout each department. With areas to grow and explore, there are many opportunities for learning and advancing.

Pros

Staff, Competitive pay

Patient Care Attendant

Decent place to work, good salary. Flexible scheduling. I found management to be helpful and caring for the most part. I would recommend this workplace.

Great workplace

NYGH is a great workplace. Manager and staff member are friendly. I had an amazing experience to work here. I highly recommend this hospital and everyone was very nice.

Great support staff

The work environment is great. Colleagues help and support each other. Supervisors and management are also supportive and listen to any issues staff may have.

Pros

Great work environment

Cons

Sometimes short staffed

Under paid and overworked

Was hired in the ICU at the bare minimum was told could offer 4 more but won't because I wasn't in the same job for a few years. When I would work I was told about how horrible management could be and how I need to just "pretend" to keep busy when there around. The people constantly complained about the pay rates and the workload and how every other hospital pays more so they end up working multiple hospitals until can get more hours at a higher paying job. When I found out the cleaning ladies downstairs were talking about making the same as a team attendant in icu I was not having it spoke to my manager and hr to which I was told thanks for letting us know take care! Wow just wow way to treat and appreciate your staff no wonder the turn over rate is so high.

Pros

Hospital setting, staff

Cons

Wage, over worked, safety neglect

Love to work here

I am practical nursing student for the last semester. I finished more than 410 hours clinical practice on the Orthopedics unit. I started with two patients full assessment and health care assignment at the beginning, and after three days practice I had one more patient. Before midterm, I was announced by my preceptor that I was the first student who could finish full load assignment on my own on the whole unit.I am so grateful that I had one most strict and experienced preceptor. I enjoyed the nursing job here and have the passion of working as an RPN for my second career life in Canada.

Pros

Lovely working atmosphere and very responsible professional peers

good organization

learn new skills and experience patient care in better ways of understanding and improving in day to day clinical practice in teamwork environment by working with senior staff.

Poor management...enough said

Management are clueless re treatment of workers, conditions, etc. HR management is even worse - is anyone qualified over there? Clearly out of their element - unethical, poor handling of employee situations. BUT they are good at covering up their own backs, or those of their butt-kissers. For those starting off in healthcare, better to try other hospitals who treat employees with more respect.

Excellent work environment

The work culture at North York is very inclusive and fast paced. Everyone is always eager to help one another out and to teach new skills. The unit is very busy and requires all hands on deck majority of the time. The management and senior employees are extremely supportive and helpful in creating a safe learning environment

volunteer

I only did volunteer work at the hospital but my experience was great and i would 100% recommend working there. everyone is so nice. hands down best place to work.

Terrible place to work!

Management and human resources have no concept of what it's like to work on my unit, including the nurse manager, who yells at the staff and belittles them. They have destroyed me, as well as a number of other colleagues, emotionally. My health has declined significantly since working here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at North York General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement