North York General Hospital

North York General Hospital Employee Reviews

Canada122 reviews
Overall positive
The hospital provides all expectations and provides additional continuing education. The hospital staff of RN's operates under the ONA guidelines and payroll is contracted through ONA. The hospital is patient-center oriented and provides comprehensive patient care.
Terrible place to work!
Management and human resources have no concept of what it's like to work on my unit, including the nurse manager, who yells at the staff and belittles them. They have destroyed me, as well as a number of other colleagues, emotionally. My health has declined significantly since working here.
It is an ok company
There are many issues that I have found difficult to deal with working here. Management at the nursing level is not supportive of advancement, and even though it said that education is encouraged, opportunities for this are scarce.
Though fast-paced and stressful, it is a very rewarding place of work
A rewarding place to work
Patient appreciation

Helping to alleviate the stress and fears of someone who walked in unsure of what they're about to face
Pros
The occassional free lunch
Cons
The hours could be long
The HR dept. sucks.
HR dept sucks, they work behind your back and create very stressful situatation for management. The union sucks as well and they are always willing to help the lazy people. I worked at the seniors center and the place is filthy and the residents are disrespected.
productive workplace
worked under supervision as it was internship part of coronary nursing care program in Seneca. learned a lot about Canadian health care system. and helped nurses in maintain personal hygiene of residences as well as administering medication
Good experience to work in north York general hospital
Is a good to have a work in hospital because we learn a lots like house keeping as well as follows some instruction of all hospital staff and do also some patients needs like do the bed making after and before patients discharge
Pros
Free break time
Cons
7for7
Great Experience
active environment constant problem solving skills being used. lots of beneficial experience learnt from working there. hardest part would be having constant calls while not having enough people to attend everything at once.
Good Hospital
Great place to work. The staff are very friendly and the environment is great. I think that if wages were increased it would make it a better place to work.
loved my time at North York General Hospital
Absolutely one of the best hospitals to work for. I enjoyed my time there immensely, the staff are always dedicated at helping everyone. They thrive on success.
Heavy work load
Staff is friendly but overwhelmed by the amount of work. Amount of employees is less then it needs to be to provide patients with the quality of care they are needing.
Very stressful environment ....
My work area is understaffed. If someone retires or leaves, management doesn't replace them. In result, skeleton staff for the size of the building and work load. Management doesn't listen to reasoning, but only demand.
They believe in micromanaging......

Staff are mostly friendly, but miserable due to stress from the workplace environment.
great place to work
I have been at NYGH for 19 years and I have enjoyed my job over the past years. NYGH is a great organization and a great place to work. The staff is fantastic and the Hospital is very patient oriented.
A hospital that cares
North York General hospital is a great hospital, staff care and are organized. The department are all great. The expansion of the hospital will help bring more patients
Work with some great people
Our workplace environment at Phillips House is centered around patient and family care. We take pride in helping our patients and their families in a time of crisis or an every day basis. We are always there to support one an other with regards to work or our personal lives.
socher
like socker .every frideay i play socker with friend and familly, and to told about my last experience was very good because i never wond the orhter part but we final did
Pay is always wrong or sometimes they don’t even pay you
Workload is extremely heavy and often unfair. Seniors do not receive a very good quality of care and are seen as a problem or inconvenience to most staff members
Pros
Coworkers are unwilling to help you because there are not enough staff on the floor
Cons
No punch clock so you have to keep track of your hours, nobody is willing to help you
Great work place!
I really enjoyed my clinical placement here. the environment was friendly and those around you were always looking to help. great management and my professor was amazing! learned a lot!
2nd best hospital in Canada
This is a great place to work except for the scheduling. Pretty standard for a hospital but the people who develop the schedules don't care about work/life balance, they only care about having someone on shift.

Coworkers are awesome, most management is pretty good.
work place
difficult to advance in career, skills and expertise not recognize. often feel unsupported by management. it's a place you come and work, feel discouraged to "do more"
Inclusive environment
*Casual staff review. Inclusive and efficient. Always developing new ways to support patients, families, and staff. Well organized. Offers opportunity to work within different programs.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at North York General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.
North York General Hospital Reviews by Location