North York General Hospital

North York General Hospital Employee Reviews

I am practical nursing student for the last semester. I finished more than 410 hours clinical practice on the Orthopedics unit. I started with two patients full assessment and health care assignment at the beginning, and after three days practice I had one more patient. Before midterm, I was announced by my preceptor that I was the first student who could finish full load assignment on my own on the whole unit.I am so grateful that I had one most strict and experienced preceptor. I enjoyed the nursing job here and have the passion of working as an RPN for my second career life in Canada.
Pros
Lovely working atmosphere and very responsible professional peers
Cons
learn new skills and experience patient care in better ways of understanding and improving in day to day clinical practice in teamwork environment by working with senior staff.
Management are clueless re treatment of workers, conditions, etc. HR management is even worse - is anyone qualified over there? Clearly out of their element - unethical, poor handling of employee situations. BUT they are good at covering up their own backs, or those of their butt-kissers. For those starting off in healthcare, better to try other hospitals who treat employees with more respect.
The work culture at North York is very inclusive and fast paced. Everyone is always eager to help one another out and to teach new skills. The unit is very busy and requires all hands on deck majority of the time. The management and senior employees are extremely supportive and helpful in creating a safe learning environment
I only did volunteer work at the hospital but my experience was great and i would 100% recommend working there. everyone is so nice. hands down best place to work.
Management and human resources have no concept of what it's like to work on my unit, including the nurse manager, who yells at the staff and belittles them. They have destroyed me, as well as a number of other colleagues, emotionally. My health has declined significantly since working here.
The hospital provides all expectations and provides additional continuing education. The hospital staff of RN's operates under the ONA guidelines and payroll is contracted through ONA. The hospital is patient-center oriented and provides comprehensive patient care.
There are many issues that I have found difficult to deal with working here. Management at the nursing level is not supportive of advancement, and even though it said that education is encouraged, opportunities for this are scarce.
A rewarding place to work Patient appreciation Helping to alleviate the stress and fears of someone who walked in unsure of what they're about to face
Pros
The occassional free lunch
Cons
The hours could be long
HR dept sucks, they work behind your back and create very stressful situatation for management. The union sucks as well and they are always willing to help the lazy people. I worked at the seniors center and the place is filthy and the residents are disrespected.
worked under supervision as it was internship part of coronary nursing care program in Seneca. learned a lot about Canadian health care system. and helped nurses in maintain personal hygiene of residences as well as administering medication
Is a good to have a work in hospital because we learn a lots like house keeping as well as follows some instruction of all hospital staff and do also some patients needs like do the bed making after and before patients discharge
Pros
Free break time
Cons
7for7
active environment constant problem solving skills being used. lots of beneficial experience learnt from working there. hardest part would be having constant calls while not having enough people to attend everything at once.
Great place to work. The staff are very friendly and the environment is great. I think that if wages were increased it would make it a better place to work.
Absolutely one of the best hospitals to work for. I enjoyed my time there immensely, the staff are always dedicated at helping everyone. They thrive on success.
Staff is friendly but overwhelmed by the amount of work. Amount of employees is less then it needs to be to provide patients with the quality of care they are needing.
My work area is understaffed. If someone retires or leaves, management doesn't replace them. In result, skeleton staff for the size of the building and work load. Management doesn't listen to reasoning, but only demand. They believe in micromanaging...... Staff are mostly friendly, but miserable due to stress from the workplace environment.
I have been at NYGH for 19 years and I have enjoyed my job over the past years. NYGH is a great organization and a great place to work. The staff is fantastic and the Hospital is very patient oriented.
North York General hospital is a great hospital, staff care and are organized. The department are all great. The expansion of the hospital will help bring more patients
Our workplace environment at Phillips House is centered around patient and family care. We take pride in helping our patients and their families in a time of crisis or an every day basis. We are always there to support one an other with regards to work or our personal lives.
like socker .every frideay i play socker with friend and familly, and to told about my last experience was very good because i never wond the orhter part but we final did