North York Community House Employee Reviews

Wonderful for the community
Volunteer Experience (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 December 2018
I volunteered there, and it seemed like a great place to work. The staff were very friendly and they offered a lot of different things for the people in Toronto.
work with fun
Staff Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2018
it is a good place to work, well organized, goal oriented and always ready to assist.

Seminar and lecture are organized to enlighten the staffs and new comers
Great community
Administration/ Second Language Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 October 2018
Wonderful programs available, many areas to volunteer. Great employees and clients. It was easy to communicate with the coordinators and volunteering was very enjoyable.
A day in the life of a Settlement Worker...
Settlement Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 February 2018
I enjoy working 5 days a week because this job is not a routine for me. I am located in 3 different settings which gives me an exciting feel for a different workspace, opportunity to work with different colleagues, and different clienteles. However, my mission of every shift is to help empower anyone that seeks our services. If you are passionate to help newcomers settle into Canada by providing them information or referring them to the correct resources, you will find this job very rewarding.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Contracts (no health benefits)
Professional and friendly environment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 January 2018
A professional environment with friendly and supportive staff. It is an ideal place for newcomers as it is an agency that provides employment and English language support to newcomers.
Excellent employer
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 January 2018
Management creates the best possible working environment. They pay attention to having a safe, all-inclusive work environment and treat employees with respect.
Pros
excellent work environment
Cons
supply teacher, wish I was permanent
Good for the short term
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 April 2017
Front line staff are very supportive of each other and do a good job to support their clients. Upper management is mostly disconnected from most of the front line work. Not much appreciation of work is shown. Staff are also expected to continuously donate to all sorts of fundraisers for the agency; staff will get called if they do not contribute to certain events. There is no room to grow, no salary improvement, and any complaints are not welcome and can lead to "contract ending".
Pros
decent amount of days for vacation, personal days, and sick days. Flexible schedule
Cons
no room to grow, no salary increases, disconnected upper management
Program Facilitator
Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2015
A program working with children in priority neighbourhoods. What better way to give back. I did the after school program, giving me the opportunity to work with children after school hours and keeping them off the street.
the work place is fare and working with kids is always fun.
child minder (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 January 2014
I really enjoyed working for the North York Community House, I had the chance to meet a lot of people with a lot of experience in the field from which I learned a lot. Also the program is excellent and I had the opportunity to know new places where the program is offered.
Also I love working in a multicultural environment and it offers a friendly atmosphere. really nice.
A typical day was, you have to be one hour before children arrive to prepare the room with activities for them, check if everything is safe. Then every time we have to register the children and get parents to sign the attendance.
For the rest of the time you stay with the children doing art, singing, playing,etc., having snacks and get ready for departure. The hardest part for me is always try to keep children busy and happy and it requires a lot of energy and creativity. Overall I enjoyed almost everything.
Pros
I liked the job because it offered free snacks for the children and staff, and every body is treated equal with respect and dignity.
Cons
it was a on call job, so it means I didn't get much hours.
Productive and fun place. Kind People
Teach Volunteer in the Computers Seniors Program (Former Employee) –  700 Lawrence, Toronto. On19 January 2014
I used to help senior to how to use the computers. How to get into internet, email, facebook. How to use computers programs such a word, excel, power point. I learned hoe to organize groups of persons to bring excelente services to anyone. Also, give personal advice and encourage seniors to continuing learn computer skills.

I had very nice co-workers whom also helped me sometimes. They were fun people, kind, active people. I found my volunteer work so nice and easy. The most enjoyable part of the job was at the break time because y shared with my students so many stories about culture, trips, life.
Pros
Free chips and coffee
overall example of NYCH
NOW Project Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario 16 July 2013
North York Community House is a non-profit organization. It has a great management. We provide settlement services to newcomers in northwest Toronto. The most enjoyable part of this job is that you meet a lot of new people everyday and it is an ongoing learning experience. However, the downside of non-profit organizations are that there is less opportunity for you to grow professionally. For example, in the department that I am working, we are 35 people. We have two managers, one coordinator and one program administrator. So imagine, what are the possibility of someone becoming manager.
Pros
rewarding jobs
Cons
not a lot of opportunity for professionally growth
helping and guiding the participants.
Leadership  (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2013
Guide my mates on the field trips and on different workshops. Performed many duties by showing leadership skills.
productive and fun working with groups
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 October 2012
I liked when I met people with different cultur and discused about their ideas about the certain cultural questions.