North Star Windows & Doors

North Star Windows & Doors Employee Reviews

Canada37 reviews

yearteamhourpeoplegooddaymanagementpay

somewhat productive

NorthStar windows is a well off decent place to work the management is willing to train you if you're willing to put in the work overall a good modest company

23 November 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We do our best to create a positive working environment for our employees and we love that you had a good experience here at North Star Windows and Doors!

Great people, friendly and laid back

I was hired on a summer student contract but would defiantly work here again in the future after I finish school. Good starting wage and they increased it again after I started. Now your guaranteed a raise after 3 months. The company is growing fast and a few people I worked with got promoted.

Pros

Make good money

8 August 2022
Thank you for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you loved your experience; our staff will definitely be happy to read what you wrote. We put employee experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. So, thanks for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again.

Insights into North Star Windows & Doors

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Sense of belonging

Fast paced full time job

A good summer job for students looking to get as many hours as they can and make as much money as they can over the summer months. Hires fast and can start working almost immediately in my experience.

Pros

Steady hours

Cons

Poor management

8 August 2022
Thank you for leaving us a review and we are happy you had a good experience working for us. We offer full time hours while providing a quick and positive candidate experience when applying for North Star Windows and Doors. Glad to hear you had a good summer working with us!

Pay is nothing special, and the production team is constantly changing

I worked at North Star for just under a year. In my time I saw a large number of people quit. The factory does not have A/C so summer gets very hot on the factory floor. Training is given on your first day, and after that you are trained by other team members as opposed to actual trainers (for the most part). As long as I worked there they were understaffed, and as a result I often took on multiple duties at the same time due so lack of staff. Work is generally straightforward, and once you develop a rhythm it becomes pretty easy. The shifts are relatively long, and Saturday shifts tend to be on a every other week basis. Prior to COVID the factory ran 8 hour shifts, but due to the current backlog they run 9 hour shifts, and just recently started 10 hour shifts. Layoffs were not a worry due to the backlog and understaffing, and it's my understanding there won't be any for at least the next year, given the backlog hasn't been dug out of yet. Much of the new employees are foreign, and have lackluster English, often times making communication difficult. Wages are improving, but are still slightly below what other bigger plants are offering. As a production member, there is little room to grow in terms of salary, unless you decide to become a trainer, and eventually maybe even a team leader. There is a cafeteria which has snacks and some ready to go sandwiches, wraps etc. as well as frozen foods which can be heated up in one of the microwaves in the lunch room. The people at North Star are mostly nice. The people who I worked with on a daily basis were all -

8 August 2022
Thank you providing feedback about your time at North Star. Our culture is very important to us, so we are happy to hear you built positive relationships with our team. We have made some changes that we are excited to share with you: We are committed to investing in our people and providing more opportunities for advancement within the company. In this year alone, 7 employees have received promotions and we recently created a new Lead Hand classification and soon there will be a Lead Hand on every line and shift. Although we do not have A/C at this time, we do our best to ensure that our employees on the factory floor are working in a comfortable environment during the summer months; this includes industrial grade fans in problem areas, general cooling techniques, and heat breaks etc. We also recognize that our workforce is growing, so we will be adding more Trainers to ensure our new hires are being set up for success. Our diversity is what makes us successful and we are very proud of our unique talents and backgrounds at North Star. We are actively exploring new ways to promote an environment where all team members feel they can contribute and fully utilize their talents.We understand that a healthy work life balance results in happier and more engaged employees. For that reason, our Production team continues to experiment with different schedules; for example at this time, they are not scheduling Saturdays. In addition, we implemented an enhanced and competitive wage program. The starting rate of pay for all Production Associates is now $20.50 and this will increase -

Very nice people and culture

I've been working here for few years. Nice place, team work and good benefits. I recommend this company if someone is looking for a long term job . I really like working here.

8 August 2022
Thank you for leaving us such a positive review. We appreciate your engagement, continued support, and contribution as a valued team leader! So, thanks for your kind words. We wish you lots of success in your future with North Star Windows and Doors.

Team environment

I worked there for a year and left because I went back to school. Good working environment. The people there were helpful when I was still learning and my team leader was good. Sometimes you have to work Saturdays but there usually short shifts and you get paid overtime for it. You get time off at christmas too.

8 August 2022
Thank you for leaving us such a great review. We are thrilled that you loved your experience; our staff will definitely be happy to read what you wrote. We appreciate your commitment to supporting us and wish you lots of success in your future with North Star Windows and Doors!

Good workplace, job stability and decent pay

A lot of improvements in the last few years. Steady work, management is helpful. The job is pretty good for the pay, and the work isn't too stressful. Overtime options are good, and the workplace is very safe.

Pros

Pay/benefits decent, bbq and ice cream in the summer, safe workplace

Cons

shift rotation

8 August 2022
Thank you for leaving us such a great review. We appreciate your engagement, continued support, and contribution as a valued team member! We also continuously strive to make sure our employees work in a safe environment. We wish you lots of success in your future with North Star Windows and Doors.

Decent place to work for factory work.

Employees nice, helpful, friendly. Leadhands helpful and know there stuff. Busy place, if you like extra hours to make extra money, it’s good. Lots of work. Fair pay for the work. Busy but not hard work.

Pros

The people you work with. Safe place.

Cons

Can be hard to get day off at last minute

19 August 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We do our best to create a friendly working environment for our employees and we love that you had a great experience here at North Star Windows and Doors!

productive and excellent work ethics with massive experience in management

I have worked in this place and wish I joined earlier due to excellent working environment Excellent team and management as well as friendly environment and acceptable work load

Pros

Good technical experience Good work ethics Friendly staff

Cons

No cons

19 August 2022
Thank you for leaving us such a positive review. We appreciate your engagement, continued support, and contribution as a valued team member! Thank you for your kind words! We wish you lots of success in your future with North Star!

Really great place to work. The culture and experience have been amazing. People are friendly, and great team dynamic.

Working on the line building windows. Glass shop, loading, and unloading windows. Long hours but the pay is good for someone just starting out. We have benefits as well

Pros

Culture, teamwork, and management.

Cons

Long Hours

19 August 2022
Thank you for leaving us such a great review. We are thrilled that you loved your experience; our staff will definitely be happy to read what you wrote. We wish you lots of success in your future with North Star Windows and Doors!

Worst team leader

Miss management forklift diver think they are driving in freeway . Treat people like animal. They only think about money not about employees . Their treat people by seeing Color.

Pros

Nothig

19 August 2022
Thank you for providing your feedback. Our diversity is what makes us successful and we are very proud of our unique talents and backgrounds at North Star. As per our Code of Conduct, we expect all employees to do their part to create an environment where everyone feels respected, valued and where they can contribute and fully utilize their talents. Discrimination, bullying, and disrespectful conduct of any kind are strictly prohibited. Our forklift drivers are fully trained, certified and receive regular re-training. Our established forklift and pedestrian safety procedures have been evaluated by a third party and deemed as safe. As per North Star’s Health & Safety policy, safety is everyone’s responsibility and it’s important that employees report all unsafe acts and conditions to their Team Leader so that it can be promptly addressed and corrected.

Terrible environment and toxic culture

Let’s start with the interview, if you can read a tape measure,you’re hired.It all goes downhill from there. They had a nice incentive to work there in the form of profit sharing, which was roughly 750$ every 3 months just for showing up. Late this year they got rid of that so everyone could get a raise, now you get roughly 250$ every 3 months. 9 hour days, five days a week, rotation shifts and mandatory Saturdays.there is a backlog of 90,000+ and some how it is the workers fault that North Star can’t keep good employees because of the toxic culture and bad reputation. There is a ladder system, 1st ladder is 18-19.95 2nd is 19.95-21 3rd is 21-23 4th is 23-26. I have met more than a dozen people who have been there 10+ years and management refuses to bump them past the first ladder. EVERYTHING IS THE EMPLOYEES FAULT AND NOT THE COMPANIES. You get hired on fridays, start on mondays and most people want to leave after a day.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, toxic culture, unsafe environment

19 August 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. During the interview process, the ability to read a tape measure is important, but it is equally critical that candidates can demonstrate that they are respectful, safety conscious, reliable and able to work on a team. We are proud of the positive feedback we generally receive about our culture, but there is always room for improvement, so we continue actively exploring new ways to foster a positive, engaging and welcoming experience for our new hires. The profit sharing program is not paid just for showing up, it is very much dependent on our profitability, performance and safety for the quarter. We understand that a healthy work life balance results in happier and more engaged employees. For that reason, our Production team continues to trial different schedules to meet our orders; for example at this time, we are scheduling only one Saturday per month. We have made some positive changes to our wage ladder program that we are excited to share with you. At this time, all new Production Associates are hired at $20.50 per hour and will receive additional pay increases after 90 days of service. We have also added several new Trainer and Lead Hand positions in all areas, so there are plenty of opportunities to progress beyond the first wage ladder. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience here, but we hope you have found what you are looking for and we wish you all the best.

Crappie work environment

After working here for a few years they have no care for their employees they expect u to do learn a position quickly. If ur hard working and they see it they expect you to do work of multiple people.

Pros

Profit shares

Cons

Long hrs rotation shifts and crappie management

Not time for family or to improve skills

No opportunities to grow, no incentives to stay or retain you if you are good, shifts every two weeks with more than 44 hours per week including most of the Saturdays, leaving you almost no time for your personal life and family. No rotation of positions, giving you serious injuries for repetitive tasks for 9 hours per day, 6 days a week. I left that job some months ago and I still have body issues in my arms and hands. If you make it to get hired full time, you will never gonna have time to study to improve your abilities or knowledge. They take too long to answer your requests or simply don't listen to your personal needs that require their support.

Cons

Long hours, shifts, no rotations of positions

19 August 2022
Thank you for leaving us feedback about your time at North Star. We have made some positive changes to our internal Recruitment procedures which has opened up more opportunities to advance within the company. In this year alone, we have promoted over one dozen Production Associates into various Trainer, Lead Hand, Team Leader and Office positions. We understand that improving personal education level is beneficial to our employees’ self and career development, so we have established an tuition reimbursement program where employees can enroll into an educational course and have their expenses reimbursed by the company. The health and wellness of our employees is our top priority and we are dedicated to the continuing objective of reducing risk of injury. We strive to establish job rotations for all Production Associates. This not only prevents injury, but also provides additional wage increase opportunities. We also have a independent Ergonomic Specialist who visits the plant three times per week and offers treatment, feedback and best practices on working safely and injury prevention. We are sorry to hear that you did not feel supported during your time here. We strive to ensure our team knows we have an open door policy at North Star and all associates may speak to any member of our leadership team if they have a concern. Thank you again for your review and we wish you all the best!

Horrible

Got fired for having covid symptoms and following the guidelines that they give you on the sheet of paper you get signed every morning. they allowed people who were close contact to a positive covid case to continue coming into work. The managers are horrible and sit in the office all day long in their AC watching everyone else. If you’re not there 365 days 24/7 you can bet you will get fired or never hired on permanently. Horrible place

Pros

Cons

All of it

19 August 2022
Thank you for providing us with feedback about your time at North Star. Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, we have diligently followed all guidelines as per the Public Health Unit and Ontario government. We also implemented staggered break schedules, plexiglass barriers, increased sanitization and actively encouraged all employees to stay home if they are unwell. Because of these measures, we were able to keep our business open and operating throughout the pandemic and we maintained an extremely low number of positive COVID-19 cases. We have discontinued our Seasonal program and at this time, all new employees (with the exception of our Summer Student Program) are hired on permanently and also have plenty of opportunities to advance even further in the company. We have also created permanent part time positions with straight shifts available. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience here, but we hope you have found what you are looking for and we wish you all the best.

horrendous managment

the management in this company is a absolute joke the clear sense of nepotism is absolute there is no true room for advancement for those qualified and the pay does not match the amount of work they ask of you

8 August 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are very sorry to hear of your experience here at North Star Windows and Doors. We take employee satisfaction and respect as a priority and our HR team continuously works to develop succession planning and management for our current staff. Our recruitment process also ensures that candidates are selected based solely on their skills and qualifications. If you require any further assistance or have any questions, please do get in touch with us at talent.canada@cornerstone-bb.com.

Safety procedures needs work from management

Working was a learning experience, many employees are not happy with the work they do for the money they earn. They push push push (Management). Safety standards low for employees.

Pros

Employees are helpful. (Doors)

Cons

Management not at the same level as employees.

8 August 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Over the past year North Star has worked towards implementing new measures and improvements on our training for all staff. We take health and safety of our workers as a priority to ensure a safe working environment. If this response does not fully satisfy you and you still have concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at talent.canada@cornerstone-bb.com.

Loving it so far!

Been working for the company for almost 3 months and have already been shown how to do multiple tasks within the company and have been trusted to train newer staff. They see your potential and are very fun to work for.

Pros

Good atmosphere

Cons

N/a

8 August 2022
Thank you for leaving us such a positive review. We are thrilled that you loved your experience; our staff will definitely be happy to read what you wrote. We appreciate your commitment to supporting our staff and wish you lots of success in your future with North Star Windows and Doors!

Fast paced work environment

They are mainly base on false promises and would tell you sometjng to get you hopes and then they tell ya differently.Once you get in thwy make ya think you're important and they do not care for anyone no more than the orher person

Pros

Easy ro get hired

Cons

Gives false promises

8 August 2022
Thank you for posting a review and we are sorry to hear that your experience was not up to standards. We take employee satisfaction and respect as a priority. If you require any further assistance or have any questions, please do get in touch with us at talent.canada@cornerstone-bb.com.

poor management

Management yells at you to work harder, while they sit/stand and supervise. There are no quotas, you just work as hard as you can until the shift ends.

good place to work

I was a part of the Extrusion team everyone there was very friendly and welcoming. I loved the job. Only downside was it was a seasonal position. Would definitely recommend the extrusion side of northstar.

19 August 2022

Ask a question about working or interviewing at North Star Windows & Doors. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement