North Island College logo
North Island College

North Island College Employee Reviews

Canada13 reviews

Potential

There is potential for this college to be a wonderful workplace, however it generally falls short. Recruiting is a challenge which often leads to increased workload for those remaining. Management seems to thrive on working angles around policies and people, which leads to significant distrust. In fairness, it is a small college with limited budget. Where the challenge lies, in my opinion, NIC tries to offer more that it can support or provide. Core values are overwhelmingly non-existent in its efforts to provide everything.

Pros

There are a great number of extremely amazing staff.

Cons

Long hours, interrupted holidays.

great

you get paid to do your homework basically. Aside from making sure everyone left the studios there was no problems.its only evenings but its not a problem for most students, also not much hours but its decent pocket change for a student

Pros

paid to work in the studio

Cons

evenings only

Worst workplace

As someone who shelved a professional career and took a 50% pay cut to teach at NIC, I couldn't be more disappointed with my decision. Professional experience is rarely appreciated or valued by administrators and peers, who have no real-life experience in the field. Men in the trades are typically hired at the top of the pay scale while women are hired at the bottom. Like others have said, toxic barely sums up the work environment. It's much worse than that. The college administration's mandate is to keep as many contract faculty in unstable positions at the bottom of the pay scale as possible -- barely scraping by. Suggestions of becoming a regular employee are a misleading recruiting ploy. Keep in mind that the college let go of 30% of its faculty last year, which included some who had been teaching there for the last decade, plus nearly all of the contract faculty. I would describe my experience working at NIC as nothing short of horrific.

Pros

The campuses are located in beautiful communities

Cons

False promises, toxic workplace, disrespectful of real-world experience

THE worst place to work

Looks good on the surface but this is a fiefdom run by one or two individuals who are completely self-interested and who will do anything to maintain power. The internal politics is never ending. Qualifications and performance mean absolutely nothing. While there are good people trying to bring this institution up to a respectable level, (instructors and admin) overall it is a truly TOXIC WORK ENVIRONMENT. Just check the levels of turnover and the amount of people who have left on stress leave. This is about the worst place to work in the Comox Valley (or anywhere) and really has no business as an accredited post secondary institution. Interesting to see that another well intentioned president is now leaving, in all likelihood run out by those wanting to grab even more power for themselves. Horrible, horrible place to work. Avoid at all costs.

Pros

Good benefits package

Cons

Highly Toxic Culture

This workplace needs TLC

Teaching is fulfilling and the courses are great quality. Unfortunately, the internal culture is toxic. Contracts are weaponized to overwork instructors without regard to the consequences for student learning and success (never mind faculty members' wellness). There are far too many administrators and several are so incompetent that they harm the institution. Even among those who are skilled, their communication is abysmal and decision-making is opaque & reactionary. This organization's management desperately needs a reset with fewer 'leaders' and better processes for engaging faculty & staff in all matters. The best ideas & strongest leadership is coming from the ranks.

Pros

Great staff; beautiful location

Cons

Terrible management

Needs new management

The college has a lot of potential. Unfortunately, it's squandered by unimaginative and barely competent administrators who talk a good game, but never follow through. There's little emphasis on collaboration with staff and virtually no process for cultivating leadership or harnessing talent. Poor decisions have undermined the College's reputation locally and threatened the quality of education offered. It's a demoralizing place to work. I would leave if not for my family's ties.

A typical rural community college

This is a typical rural community college, staff are excellent and the educational standards are good. Campus facilities are very good. I would recommend them as an employer

Good job, good pay

Decent place to work but not a lot of formal training ... more on the job training style... work life balance a slight struggle but better than many other jobs

Amazing company and post secondary institution

NIC is a wonderful place, both to attend as a student and to work as faculty. They are well organised and accommodating to the needs of their employees.

Work/life balance

A great place to work and enjoy work/life balance. 4 campuses to choose from on beautiful Vancouver Island. A unionized environment has it's plus-side...good wages, great benefits, and reasonable hours.

Jobs at North Island College

See more jobs

A huge waste of taxpayer money

This is one of the worst examples of government waste I've ever experienced. Too many unmotivated employees, completely bullied and frightened by entrenched admin and management. Easily the worst culture of any place I've ever worked. Fear, mistrust, waste all over the place. This organization needs some serious review and clean up. Very sad example of what our public institutions have become. Not somewhere you'd want to work if you have any talent or desire to grow professionally. Perfect for those just passing time, with no eye on the future, or real care for the power of education, other than to get a pay check.

Pros

Excellent benefits package

Cons

Terrible mismanagement, overly political, no room for innovation, mediocrity (at best) rules.

Best co-workers

A typical work day involved stalking returned books in shelfs, processing new books. Making calls to students and instructors on requested books and articles from other libraries and filing them for pickup. Ensuring that books in shelfs were arranged in order and maintaining order and cleanliness in the library was also part of my responsibility. I learned a lot from working at the library, including problem solving especially with students and management. Organizing events being my favourite, we had monthly themes and it was my responsibility to organize them. I improved my interactive skills from dealing with both the faculty and the students. I couldn't ask for better co-workers, they were professional, supportive and made the working environment homely and what would have been challenging was made easy.

Pros

Supportive co-workers

nice place

good to work indoors,placing books on shelf helping students.

Pros

flexable hours

Cons

short term

Ask a question about working or interviewing at North Island College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8