North Island College

North Island College Employee Reviews

Canada9 reviews
The college has a lot of potential. Unfortunately, it's squandered by unimaginative and barely competent administrators who talk a good game, but never follow through. There's little emphasis on collaboration with staff and virtually no process for cultivating leadership or harnessing talent. Poor decisions have undermined the College's reputation locally and threatened the quality of education offered. It's a demoralizing place to work. I would leave if not for my family's ties.
Teaching is fulfilling and the courses are great quality. Unfortunately, the internal culture is toxic. Contracts are weaponized to overwork instructors without regard to the consequences for student learning and success (never mind faculty members' wellness). There are far too many administrators and several are so incompetent that they harm the institution. Even among those who are skilled, their communication is abysmal and decision-making is opaque & reactionary. This organization's management desperately needs a reset with fewer 'leaders' and better processes for engaging faculty & staff in all matters. The best ideas & strongest leadership is coming from the ranks.
Pros
Great staff; beautiful location
Cons
Terrible management
This is a typical rural community college, staff are excellent and the educational standards are good. Campus facilities are very good. I would recommend them as an employer
Decent place to work but not a lot of formal training ... more on the job training style... work life balance a slight struggle but better than many other jobs
NIC is a wonderful place, both to attend as a student and to work as faculty. They are well organised and accommodating to the needs of their employees.
A great place to work and enjoy work/life balance. 4 campuses to choose from on beautiful Vancouver Island. A unionized environment has it's plus-side...good wages, great benefits, and reasonable hours.
This is one of the worst examples of government waste I've ever experienced. Too many unmotivated employees, completely bullied and frightened by entrenched admin and management. Easily the worst culture of any place I've ever worked. Fear, mistrust, waste all over the place. This organization needs some serious review and clean up. Very sad example of what our public institutions have become. Not somewhere you'd want to work if you have any talent or desire to grow professionally. Perfect for those just passing time, with no eye on the future, or real care for the power of education, other than to get a pay check.
Pros
Excellent benefits package
Cons
Terrible mismanagement, overly political, no room for innovation, mediocrity (at best) rules.
A typical work day involved stalking returned books in shelfs, processing new books. Making calls to students and instructors on requested books and articles from other libraries and filing them for pickup. Ensuring that books in shelfs were arranged in order and maintaining order and cleanliness in the library was also part of my responsibility. I learned a lot from working at the library, including problem solving especially with students and management. Organizing events being my favourite, we had monthly themes and it was my responsibility to organize them. I improved my interactive skills from dealing with both the faculty and the students. I couldn't ask for better co-workers, they were professional, supportive and made the working environment homely and what would have been challenging was made easy.
Pros
Supportive co-workers
good to work indoors,placing books on shelf helping students.
Pros
flexable hours
Cons
short term