North Central Co-op

North Central Co-op Employee Reviews

Canada11 reviews
I have worked for Co-op for over 5 years now and I can say it is a fantastic place to work. I have grown not only as an employee, but as a person. The staff here help each other grow and excel at any aspect of the job. Friendly staff and top notch management have made my career at North Central Co-op grow faster than ever. I can proudly say I enjoy coming to work everyday helping our community.
Over several years I have noticed a shift in the company's approach. There had been problematic management issues that were dealt with recently, however, even after those changes, the leadership has continued to put heavy stress on the store level management, cutting hours and budgets, but still wanting more out of the sites. Front line staff are in general fairing better than recent years. Time will tell as North Central continues to expand in the Edmonton market.
Pros
Easy work, most coworkers are easy to get along with
Cons
Irregular posting of schedules, with relatively short notice, at the most 2 weeks, often less
A typical day at work is that there are only a few people when the store opens. Around noon to afternoon, it becomes busier. I learned that it is important to treat customers well and keep the store clean, so that customers can keep coming. Whenever it gets busy, cashiers help each other by assisting the next customer in line. The workplace culture is good because we all work together. Though we have different backgrounds, we do not discriminate each other. The hardest part of the job is to try to keep yourself busy when it is slow. The most enjoyable part of the job is that we know each other enough to make the job fun.
my work hours were less than optimal but aside from that i enjoyed my time there. Really stressful location with by far the highest traffic in the area, the pay just wasnt good enough.
Co-op is a very good place to work.. Its close to where I live so the commute is great. The staff are friendly and a joy to work with. They give yo time off if requested... Pay is not great but the staff and easy commute make up for that.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Low pay
While working at northcentral it started off being a good pace to work but closer to the end of my employment other employees were being favorited with the hours and shifts that are available.
Pros
non
Cons
not a good work place
This job provided good hours with reasonable pay and excellent benefits. It is, however, affected negatively by the customer base generally being difficult to deal with, and management not seeming to care for their employees beyond what they do for the company.
Pros
Great benefits, decent pay.
Cons
Sporadic schedule, poor management.
Working in the bakery was fast paced due to a lack of staff. I did enjoy the customer service aspect working in the coffe shop and getting to see the store's regulars.
I would start work at 4pm during store hours, begin tasks to be competed so the evening or help with customers. Once store close i was giving tasks to complete by my manager . We worked we together and independently. It was a great team.
Pros
enjoyed my work
Cons
hours were hard
worked in deli and produce dept while in high school. was great all around with the hours and time off. it was a great way for me to start off dealing with customers
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at North Central Co-op?
The management was fantastic and were willing to help me learn to become better at my job and any concerns I brought to them would be considered immediately.
Pros
Great atmosphere