North American Palladium

North American Palladium Employee Reviews

Canada26 reviews
Camp Work
Camp work
Camp is nice but hard to keep cleaning and cooking staff, which reflects on the condition and cleanliness

Food is adequate at best.

There is a high turn over here which makes the consistency of leadership and planned work hard to accomplish cost effectively

Equipment is old which makes work very trying for the maintenance workers.
Pros
Free lodging good money
Cons
Away from family
volatile management and work environment
- camp is passable, rooms are basic, gym is good. food quality not good if you plan on working here for a while.
- 14/14 schedule is great with adequate travel allowance.

- management is quite toxic. not interested in improvements and doesn't value workers, ideas or opportunities for change.

- very obvious lack of diversity

- poor safety culture

- decent resources for short term career development, would not recommend of long term.
Go somewhere else
This is by far the worst place I’ve ever worked.
Foods absolutely terrible the rooms are dirty and the mice are plentiful.

Staff bully workers around and intentionally want to create a toxic atmosphere. They thrive on firing people for absolutely no reason.

The pay isn’t very good either like 11 bucks bonus when it used to be 16 and there making money hand over fist we were making more when the place was ready to shut down
Terrible Experience
The “Old Boys Club” is quite prevalent and affects the whole system. From the underground manager down to the supervisors, if you want to make a point of something, don’t speak too loud as they frown upon you having an opinion.

They have been repeatedly advertising for supervisors and there is a reason that no one wants to supervise here, one can see himself getting thrown under the bus pretty quick
Terrible place to work
The old boys group stands true, only those in the inner circles stand a chance. Terrible organizational skills. Like a zoo without zoo keepers.
The local guys from thunder bay are the worst. If you show good work ethic you threaten their existence and you can count on it your done for.

They dont care about anything only numbers, it's going to be a tragedy onceonce somebody gets hurt on their watch
Very enjoyable experience
Work and culture is great. Can be hard to get that chance to show your capabilities due to buddy helping buddy scenarios. Overall it was excellent for low stress and home time.
Pros
Schedule 14/14 helpfulness from management
Cons
Camp, distance from town, old gear lacks proper maintenance. What else to make this accept what I’m saying
a great place to work
A great place to work being in the great outdoors.Equipment is world class and very well taken care of. Also has a good recreation centre to do your workouts if you like the gym.
Just a place to gain experience
1st red flag was the hiring process, a 5 minute interview, which is very unusual, even retail interviews you longer. I've worked at other mines, here they give you much work to do. Though everything else from oversight to culture to management decisions was done better at other places I worked at and could be better done here. I just felt like a number working here. It felt like every higher up didn't understand my job and say buying the wrong equipment for us and expecting more out of us because of it just proved my point.
Pros
Lots of work
Cons
Management, Unrealistic expectations
It's something to see
Keep seeing people talk about the old boys club... Believe it. Management does not respect employees at all. Underground has come along way I will say that. Surface operations (mill) is in shambles... With the price of palladium that doesn't look like it will change anytime soon. They run the heck out of the place no matter what cost or damage done to the equipment. They are realizing this with production shortages but won't care enough to correct the problem. They preach saftey but is has taken a back seat now that palladium price is so high. They prefer to support the Sudbury basin for suppliers instead of locally. There is transportation to the mine from the airport but local people from thunderbay don't qualify to ride on it. Therefore you drive your own vehicle until it literally shakes apart on the 20km access road leading into the mine. What to expect on the access road: washboard, large holes, Sharp jagged rocks, lots of flat tires and don't expect the company to help you out when you get a flat, very slippery in the winter time. Did I mention the food at this mine is terrible and has been for along time. Come get some experience here but don't expect a career. Move on where your effort and hardwork will be acknowledged.
Pros
Employees and recreation
Cons
Management, reprisal, cut throat (always watching your back)
No respect for employees
By far the worst place I've ever worked, the food is terrible and the accommodations stink. There is no overtime in your 12 hour/14-day work period. The company frowns upon employees taking breaks and lunch. Management talks safety but production is number one in their books by far! Lots of stress, bullying and harassment from management!
Pros
Better than unemployment
Cons
Union is weak
high demands on employees
good place to work if you can maintain the pace.They are trying to bring in real time management and control center. They have a dedicated team but lack in expectation explanation.
Pros
progressive company
Cons
camp facilities
ol boys club mantality makes it hard to fit in
this was not a bad place to work .. if you want to separate work life from home life ...rooms are small and washroom facilities are not readily avail thought mine site.
Pros
learning new skills to take away with me
Cons
no room to advance
Safety a main concern
Very good place to work. Well kept camp atmosphere. Heavy equipment is well kept and very clean, mechanics are highly skilled and also trained. Wages and benefits are in line with standard practices.
Pros
camp enviroment
Cons
remote
Was a great place to work. Have to be able to handle the camp environment.
Was a great place to work and working with many great people. Left for new opportunities. Camp environment may be tough for some, but generally good facilities (food could be better).
Pros
Great company to work for and reasonable benefits.
Cons
Camp life.
Very unprofessional staff and poor environment
Did not like working there. Staff seem to like to bully the employees onsite while telling you how great they are.The less knowledge you have and the more butt you can find to kiss the faster you move up.
The old boys club is alive there for sure. I'm sure the minerals in the ground there have a future but the staff will sink the ship for sure. I've heard the place calad "lack of skills" more than once.

Best of luck boys, you're gonna need it.
Pros
Cons
There's a list
Easily worst company ive worked for
Management has the "old boys club" mentality. Safety first is what they preach but they do not walk the walk. The camp is the worst I've seen, food is terrible, if you eat the lunches make sure you can microwave them. Some rooms stunk like mold. No cell service, WiFi worked sometimes. Drive in camp road sketchy, and washboarded/potholes rarely filled. All in all the rotation is nice good time off shortish drive to thunder bay, but hands down worst place I've ever worked.
Pros
Good days off unless they "need" you to come back early
Cons
Pay, camp, management, Hr, food, air quality underground
Camp stinks
I spent 1.5 years underground here for a contractor, no cell service, terrible wifi,room was dirty and cleaned every 3 weeks after we left. I think they only changed the sheets. Beds were old and terrible, food was the same. I stayed in dozens of camps, this is the worst.
good place to work
No stress and safe work
A lot of support for employees and strong union

good schedule, 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off

12 hours work/ day
organising all storages area , on a daily basis delivering all ground support material U/G
Drive in camp on 14 days in and 14 days off .
Very friendly place to work , feel quickly part of a large family .

Lots off challenges to accomplished my job , but all is improving ,with changes and effectiveness with management planning .

Small gym ,and pool tables and free wifi available .
Pros
alcohol and drug free work camp and an correct kitchen
Cons
salary isn't the best for experienced and organized Boom Truck Operator, this job at LDI is an entry level job !
Great Management
Great working environment. Well structured company with supportive management. Helps facilitate learning of new skills and talents.
Excellent mine with a real future.
A series of cost overruns and delays coupled with a downturn in metal pricing and rising costs made this a challenging place to manage. The work was great, people were better.