North American Construction Group
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

North American Construction Group Employee Reviews

Enjoyable place to work

The GF was direct,he knows the job inside and out.Very smart and fair man.Pit forewoman,good to work with.She was new but after the first hitch,all personal started to gel.Her included.There is room for advancement re:trained on different types of equipment. I enjoyed my time there.Be straight up,if you make a mistake,Own it!!.Don't make excuses. Stop and Ask.

Pros

Good camp, crew was ok

Cons

If your not prepared to work dont apply

Production over safety, 100%!!

Just don't bother with them. They're great to start with then they don't mind putting your life in jeopardy every day. Rumours are horrible, 90% of management is terrible to their workers.

Cons

Favouritism, blatant fake support, non stop gossip, don't get sick, do not get hurt ever

Excellent team to work with.

North American is a large company, but small enough to get to know everyone. There's room for advancement and training. Any problems or complaints are dealt with fairly and promptly.

Pros

14 on 14 off

Cons

Camp

Garage company. Just ask someone that works or has worked there

Dont work here. They are rude to most operators. Have little organization and have the worst equipment iv literally ever seen in my life. If its suppose to be in the graveyard. They buy it.

Pros

The union

Cons

Bad management all around.

rewarding . great crew . management was good to deal with

excellant experiance working with NACG at CNRL . well equipped shop . If that contract was still ongoing , I would still be there. Most of the management and staff were courteous , helpful and professional .

Pros

fair pay . the whole company took safety serious

Cons

fly in / fly out was challenging at times

You're just a number. They don't care about you

Been with them 4 years. Got let go because I had to quarantine for 14 days due to covid. Poor management, highly stressful, some bad foreman's, good learning experience.

Worst place to work at

If you apply for a time entry administrator,beware. The manager is the type of person to play favorites to the people she likes and freezes out the ones she doesn't. The stress on a daily basis is not worth the rate if pay.

Pros

Other co-workers are friendly

Cons

Continued stress

A good company to start your career

been working since 2017 , a great place to work and a very good IT team to explain you everything in details if you need help.always appreciate your hard work.maintain all the safety protocols , Professionalism .

Pros

Handsome Bonus

Cons

way far from my place

Great company to work for.

NACG jobsites I was at were great. From labourers to superintendents were excellent. Good safety and work culture. Equipment was in good shape and well maintained. Mostly great crew that worked well together and were very productive. Worked for NACG at 3 different projects and would work for them again in a heartbeat.

Pros

Good camps, work atmosphere.

Cons

Long flight connection layovers because of where I live.

Great Foreman

I have had to deal with some personal challenges,and have had full support from supervisors. The work is challenging and I am learning new stuff all the time.

Pros

Interesting work

Cons

Commute and lack of medical benefits.

Negative environment

Very negative work environment, with no appreciation shown whatsoever. If you’re looking to feel welcome and appreciated at a company, look elsewhere. People usually last about 6 months here before they go somewhere else. All you are to this company is a number.

Pros

Good work schedule

Cons

Lowest wage for the area, poor management.

Wouldn’t waste your time

I was promised advancement opportunities in the interview stage, coming to find out now that is impossible. The management here is a joke, out of all the supervisors they probably have a combined education of grade 12. You will get yelled at for tasks you didn’t do because you were never told about them, and yet you won’t get a simple “good job” on the tasks you did do. If I could, I would go tell me younger self to keep applying for other jobs. I feel as though I’ve gone backwards working here. The day I handed in my 2 weeks was the most relieved I’ve ever felt.

Pros

Shift

Cons

Management, advancement, culture

Respectably professional...skill and performance matter.

Loved it for a few months before covid...hope I end up with them again someday really...high production and expectation but without the bullshi#..politics are not a factor...your numbers are good you have a job...that's it...so everybody is great at their job....very impersonal environment though would be the downside...but that's the same anywhere in the oil patch and especially the oil sands...all business...I can't speak for the dirt side.

Pros

Union

Cons

Union

Fun and enjoyable place to work

Good people to work with, my management personell are very good people who listen and help as much as needed! Always try to keep you working if possible!

Pros

Give you time to grow on many pieces of different equipment, not stuck in one job!

Cons

Commute to/from site ! Makes for a long day!

NACG not a good company to work for.

Twenty of us Worked two 16 day shifts then we were laid off. They new we were going to be laid off before we left but waited till we got home. All our gear stuck at camp

Not a good environment

They lie to get you to work there, don't believe what they say when they are trying to recruit you, they'll just use you and lay you off a month later.

Unorganized and disfunctional

Co workers are great to work with. They can’t keep good employees and has a large turn over in employees. U don’t get paid for a 12 hr day and u r on the go for 14-16 hrs a day.

Pros

Free ppe

Cons

Equipment wore out

Good Culture Overall

Pro'sGood benefits, decent payFamily friendly office cultureGreat marketing manager who always keeps company events running.Yearly bonusesCon'sDefinitely a "boys club". No room for advancement if you are a woman above manager level. However if you work in finance there is lots of room to move in that department. Don't take ergonomics seriously. I have ended up with permeant issues from their delay to take action.Its the Oil & Gas industry, so naturally always fear of getting laid off is on the table.

Pros

Free Lunches

Cons

Glass Ceiling

Management is cliquey and so are the workers

Changes from site to site. Syncrude basemine was excellent. Suncor was an absolute disaster. Worst foreman/trainer/management in Alberta. They treat anyone that doesn’t brown nose like trash and try to drive them out. Seen many good operators forced out because of personal issues. They promote the worst operators to foreman, and the worst foreman to management. The place is broken. The training department doesn’t know the first thing about equipment and breeds bad operators. Lots of incidents, many of which are repeat offences because they refuse to change their ways. Many many days sitting at home due to safety shut downs. The superintendents have little to no construction or mining experience and are hired solely on who they know. The work culture is disgusting, the safety culture is horrible and overall this company should not be getting contracts, and if it were for the sheer size of their fleet and assets; they wouldn’t.

Pros

Syncrude team was great

Cons

Everything.

Na

I enjoyed working with nacg. Good working environment. A day start getting updates from project engineer & site. I worked closly with senior planner to update schedule.

Pros

Na

Cons

Na

Wow.

NACG was terrible company that cared more about appearances than anything else. Sooooo much money wasted on office facilities and furnishings and not enough money invested into their personnel or their safety. I wish them luck with the addition of Aecons cast-off division in mining. I worked at CNRL, was paid for 8 hours and was expected to commute daily from YMM. The drive itself added about 4 hours to each day.

Pros

Hmmmm can’t think of one.

Cons

Too many to list. Lack of competitive wages and competent management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at North American Construction Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement