North American Construction Group

campnorthsafetyequipmentoperatoramericansiteunion

Safe productive and professional

Featured review

North American Construction Group selected this as a representative review
North American is an all-around good company to work with supervision was professional and easy to get along with there is always room for advancement on a piece of equipment schedules were good lots of time off lots of overtime offered as well North American is always had work I was never laid off due to a shortage of work very professional company and a great place to learn.

Great crew, exceptional supervisors (Kearl Lake)

Supervison was easy to talk to. Including the main Forman and the superintendent. My crew was fantastic. Work life balance terrific as it was a 14/14 split.

Pros

Fly in/Fly out, crew members

Cons

Camp( jack and Jill bathrooms), no overtime pay

Insights into North American Construction Group

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

Great Work Environment

North American Construction Group is one of the best places to start your career. Everyone works as a team, competitive pay, great rotations, understanding bosses, and many bonuses and perks of working with this company. I only spent a short 6 months with them but it was a great 6 months. Looking forward to going back in the future.

Stressful

The training is very poor even though they have alot of so called trainers, who train knowone, it amazes me that they even have the job, in the year I spent there, I never see them train anyone, this once good union company are so far up the unions bum ,union workers pay 148 dollars a month for no more than a placement agent, at Fort Hills they overhire , you spend as much time in camp without pay, I don't know how there allowed to get away with it , if your smart you won't work for this, poorly managed company.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Poor mgmt

Good coworkers

Good stepping stone. It's a place to go if you hit rock bottom and wanting to start over again. Huge turnover rate. There are way better employers out there.

Okay if you don’t like time off with your family or want to make money fast

Overall not a bad place to work. Pay was awesome. Some of the foremen are hard to get along with and like to be condescending/ yell at their guys, but they’re mostly pretty good. The biggest issue I have is the 14/7 schedule. You get very little time off with your family, and by the time you switch over to night shift after working 7 days, you’re exhausted. I believe in having an even work life balance and spending as much time as possible with my loved ones, so this conflicted with my personal views. However, for someone who doesn’t mind working most days, the money was awesome. Overall I would recommend to someone else, however I wouldn’t go back myself.

Decent place to work with great shift/work-life balance

Decent pay for welders. Will train for further and fairly easy going allowing you to learn. Every job has good and bad, could be a bit more organized but overall fun and rewarding place to work!14 on 14 off schedule and 140k/yr + benefits is nothing to complain about if your willing to work away.

Great learning super organized

This place is one of the best employers I have worked for when it comes to organization and work flow. The shop is clean tools are provided. It’s also in bed with one of the worst unions I have ever been with. Expect to get better benefits with a paper route. And if you think you get your benefits after three months as promised you’d better learn some patience. This is a mining position with an automotive pay salary/year this unions contract is weak.

Pros

Organized. Supplied tools great shift

Cons

Terrible union terrible benefits and a terrible contract

variable environments

Place to learn some surveying skills. Company has a ton of work all over, highly variable projects. Culture is determined by on site leadership and can be very different for good or ill depending on where you're sent

Not a good company to work for. All about company an employee s get nothing

Would not recommend this company to anyone. Well under paid for ft mac region. The lowest paid for maintenance. All the money goes to investors. Nothing for employees.

Had some great co workers.

When its busy you do the work of 3 people with no recognition. Do one thing wrong and you definately hear about it. Was under paid for position. Job in itself was decent work. Co workers were easy to get along with. If management worked a bit harder for the employee and pay was higher. The turn over rate would be much lower.

Stressful / unorganized

Not the best place to work , very stress full. Management is not the greastest and they hire people that have 0 experience on equipment which in my mind is unsafe in a mine setting.

The company only cares about production. They don't care about the condition of their equipment.

I find they are not a very Diverse company. If you get injured, you are punished or let go. I find the company is run their way. They say they want input, but don't use it. Always quick fixes on the already worn out equipment. Only the a kissers get the nice equipment. Pay is ok. You are always look down on.

Pros

Fly in Fly out, good pay and benefits

Cons

Long hours, ungrateful

Decent people but horrible location

Like all companies there is the good and the bad. Most people were reasonable and didn't raise a fuss about much. Work is a feast and famine schedule.

Pros

Laid back environment

Cons

Long days... 15.5 hrs Long bus ride to site 45 mins on dirt road

Simple job, anyone can do it!

Operating haul truck is a very easy and comfortable job, the first month is the hardest as that's when you learn the most and find yourself in new situations everyday. After this though the job is fairly repetitive but there is always more to learn, whether its about the trucks, other equipment or the general work and why we do it. Overall very happy with my job and excited to see what opportunities it brings in the future.

Horrible

Bag licker’s rise to the top, cheap, look at employees as very disposable. Very high turnover rate, poorly managed would not recommend to anyone at all

If you want to make good money and have a sense belonging this company is for you.

I got hired as a wiggle operator and enjoyed every day working for them. What impressed me the most is how safety oriented this company is, and how well everyone worked together to complete the contract. It truly was a very eye opening experience.

Pros

Safety, good money, professional and really nice rooms/food at the various camps.

Cons

There is a bit of favouritism, but that said what company doesn’t have that.

Not worth the time

I was hired without an interview to run a specific piece of equipment. After 1 two week set I was laid off due to "contract issues." This company is not worth applying with as they will waste your time

Cons

Laid off almost immediately, no support from on site managers, coworkers do nothing but complain

No organization

Good work rotation, terrible pay. Can’t keep employees cause they refuse to pay overtime. Equipment always breaking down cause they are to cheap and only had 1 mechanic on staff on our shift cause they can’t keep people

Lots of work. Always got paid so far. Lots of employee turnover.

Good working atmosphere, most everyone will try to help if they can. Planning department could use more help, lots of catching up and confusing issues on the shop floor related to the planning side of things. Company will not stock parts, so lots of part waiting issues. Company expects work to be done safely and allows the time to do this.

Pros

Good co-workers. Relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

My drive to work. 45 minutes

Lots of people who were helpful and willing to answer any questions

I really enjoyed my time working for NACG,unfortunately my family needs me closer to home.All of the foremans were real easy to work with,very helpful

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, very professional HR to get me out to the job

Cons

Majority of work is up North

Ask a question about working or interviewing at North American Construction Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement